Becoming Atropos:

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I will give you a simple answer then," She said as her fingers slipped into my hair. "Blood and marriage. A well-arranged marriage can place a minor noble with a greater title for life. It is a game of chess, have you heard of chess?"

"The man that raised me taught me and I have played many players in many countries." I replied as her face moved close and she sniffed me.

"Tell me about your travels," She purred. "The exotic women you've taken to your bed."

"East or West?" I asked. "North or South?"

"East," She stated her lips brushing against my ear which set my heart to gallop and blood to flow.

"East, how far East?" I replied as her hands slid under my shirt and touched my chest.

"Sunrise or further," she chuckled.

"The country of Nippon is called the land of the Rising Sun. Their woman as petite, with dusky skin, and nipples the color of mahogany." I began and she let out a guttural moan.

"Excellent start," She urged. "And their breasts?"

"Small typically," I whispered forcing her to lean closer. "There was the occasional woman with breasts that would easily fit my hand." I said raising my hand and splaying my fingers. "Or bigger."

"More, tell me more." She begged. "What kind of lovers are they?"

"Like any country," I shared making my voice as soft as possible. "Some are more talented than others. Some are younger and eager, some are older and only looking for coin, and still others are bored with their husbands and eager for a chance to find a lover to distract them for a night or two."

"Did you distract them properly?" She asked becoming emboldened.

"I believe so," I chuckled as something soft and silky fluttered over my eyes. "First level of escalation initiated. I accept your challenge." She chuckled as she secured the cloth across my eyes. I felt her hands settle onto my shoulders just before she straddled my waist. The first thing she did was to place her head against my chest.

"Your heart gallops in your chest." She whispered. "Did I do that?"

"Yes," I growled.

"Good." She chuckled. "I want to taste you." She said before I felt her shift and her lips touched mine. I clenched my fists to fight the urge to take her into my arms and make her mine. The kiss deepened and she pressed close. "My heart races in time with yours now." She gasped breaking the embrace.

The creak of a floorboard outside the room was nearly drowned out by my heart. She flinched, sat up, and when a second footstep echoed outside, she flew from my lap and fled. I tore the makeshift blindfold from my eyes just in time to see a hidden door close behind the mystery woman. I held the strip of cloth to my nose and sniffed. I had her scent. The hidden door closed its outline blending perfectly with the rest of the wall's woodwork. I got to my feet and spied the flash of one of the candles reflecting in a mirror. Normally I steered clear of such things. I didn't like my appearance. It had caused so many to stop and stare that I was sensitive about it. Tonight, my hair and beard had been cut, sculpted, and treated with loving care.

"I look almost respectable," I informed my silvery doppelganger. The normal wild mane of snowy hair was tamed, and I pondered the thought of future visits to a barber. I turned to leave, and Mr. Gillette stood in the open doorway.

"Better," he declared. "I imagine you are weary, and the night grows late. If you aren't tired and are literate, I will grab you a book to read."

"You are kind Mr. Gillette." I replied as we headed for one of the palaces six libraries. "I can read Greek and Arabic."

"For a mere seaman you are well educated." He laughed.

"I am a trained navigator Sir," I replied maintaining a respectful position. "Most nautical charts are written in penned in those languages."

"Your mathematics skills must be excellent as well." Gillette added. "That is good to know. I know just the book for you!" He stated excitedly. "Here, take this and return it in good order."

"Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift. Thank you, Mr. Gillette I will return it as you have given it to me. You are a kind soul."

We navigated the palace and I was shown to my cot where he left me to light a candle and read before sleep took me. I was awakened by the others rising to break our fast and get ready for work. Most of them had been asleep when I took to my cot. I got the usual comments with words like ogre, troll, and giant. One of the shorter fellows limped over and offered me his hand.

"I remember you," he declared loud enough for the others to hear clearly. "You are Vasilios, the Amaranthus, you saved our asses during that sudden storm three years back." He said and winced as one of his hands pressed against his lower spine.

"I remember you as well. Marcus Gallows, one of the barrels came lose and smashed into you." I recalled. "I thought you were paralyzed."

"Damn near, it is a miracle I can walk at all." He stated. "Let's eat before the others leave us naught but scraps."

It was fine having a former sailor amidst the rank and file. The staff had their own kitchen and dining room. We were far from the nobles and their guests. It was simply the nature of things. You didn't question where the sun came up and I didn't challenge my lot in life. I did my best to improve my earnings by learning and experiencing as much that life had to offer. Many might envy my life with how much of the wide world I have seen since I took to the life of a sailor.

Gallows and I worked together all that day. There was a feast looming on the horizon. There were great barrels of wine that I helped move from wagons that had arrived from wineries both domestic and imported. There was much German wine for the king favored it above even the best domestic. Marcus made sure the path was clear and helped me tied down the smaller barrels to keep them from shifting. I liked working in the palace there were always something to do. I threw myself into every task as I would aboard ship. There was a simple joy to my life. On the morning of my third day within the palace she came to me, the weaver. Mr. Gillette was with her and I took a break to try on the clothes she had made for me.

"Let's get this over with." Clotho said with a hint of exasperation in it. Gillette missed her secretive smile. "I have been hearing good things about you."

"He is a very hard worker," Gillette said, and she discreetly placed a hand over her mouth to conceal her grin.

We talked and joked all the way to Clotho's rooms. Standing outside waiting patiently was clearly a man of noble birth. His bearing, clothing, and jewelry marked him as a man of great wealth. Clotho stiffened when she saw him and called him by name.

"Count?" She said and he turned to face us. "St. Germain what brings you to my abode?"

"I am in need of your legendary skills," he replied in fluent Greek. He spoke as if he were born there but he was clearly Slavic or Eastern European. "Gillette my good man... who is this?"

"I am called Vasilios my lord," I replied locking eyes with him. It was difficult to maintain such contact with his violet hued orbs. I sensed a challenge and I accepted. Long I held his gaze as if I were riding out the fiercest of storms.

"I approve of him," the Count declared yielding to me. "Marry him as soon as you may. Here young man," he said approaching me. "Take this as bride price for the fair Clotho." He pushed one of his diamond rings into my grasp.

"Too much surely," Gillette protested and missed Clotho's stinging glare.

"Too little I am afraid," the Count whispered. "I will speak to his Majesty about it. No, don't thank me. May I join you?" He said like a human whirlwind.

"Of course, Count," Clotho replied her lips pursed and attempting to hide another smile. "Vasilios, attend me."

"I think you were right Count," Gillette chuckled. "They already sound married."

"I will return Vasilios back to his work area after we are done here." The Count suggested.

"Of... of course," Gillette stammered before leaving head downcast.

"Your clothes are behind the changing screen. Try them on." Clotho declared with a waggle of her finger. I stepped behind the screen as she spun on the Count. "What are you at? Marriage?"

"He was the one that brought the letter was he not." The Count remarked. "Besides he is such a fine and fit looking fellow is he not."

"I can hear you," I called out over the screen. "So far so good, by the way."

"As if there would be any doubt." Clotho fired back testily. "Are you married?"

"Not yet," I replied. "You?"

"Of course not," She snapped and then immediately apologized. "Sorry. I... I am afraid. That's not true, I am terrified."

"I know it is a rather large specimen, but you shouldn't be... I'm being an idiot, again aren't I?" I chuckled as I stepped out so she could look over her workmanship.

Clotho stepped close and examined the seams. The Count left before we noticed he was gone. I broke the awkward silence with an admission that I feared would end things between us before it began.

"I have an admirer." I said as her fingers traced the seams.

"Indeed, in the palace... already?" She asked grinning. "You work fast."

"She approached me." I growled feeling like I had to defend my actions.

"A bold woman and you so defenseless." Clotho pressed her advantage. "Tell me about her about my rival for your affection."

"She isn't... damn it... fine." I snarled clenching my teeth. "I was blindfolded."

"Blindfolded! She managed to tie you up as well?" She laughed clearly enjoying my distress.

"The barber cut my hair and beard," I explained, and she ran her fingers through both. "Yes, like that, when I awoke, she was hiding in the shadows. She tied a piece of silk about my head and interrogated me. Well perhaps that is too harsh a word, she asked me about my travels and the outside world."

"Did she seduce you?" Clotho asked her long thin fingers stroking my beard.

"Yes." I admitted feeling my cheeks burn.

"You can blush, and I half expected them to turn blue." Clotho said. "If we are to marry, and it seems beyond either of us to deny King and Count on that matter, I will have to mark my property so that other women do not lay claim to you." She purred as she withdrew a slender piece of silk from her pocket and tied it about my upper arm.

"You little..." I began when I recognized the pattern being one and the same to the piece I secreted under my pillow next to the novel Mr. Gillette had let me borrow. Clotho kissed me into silence and our bond was sealed in that instant.

"You will have to sit from now on," Clotho gasped after breaking the kiss. "That is far too great a journey for one such as I."

"I would break the world if it suited you and make the distance between us that much less." I vowed.

"I believe you would." She whispered and I kissed her. "Gather the rest of your clothes. I have costumes to finish for the new year celebration. We shall see each other soon enough."

I had never even considered marriage before today. I had lovers at different ports but now I was to be a husband. What would the old man say about that? I returned to my room, placed my clothing in the chest at the foot of my bed and returned to my work. I attacked it with renewed enthusiasm. There were but two days until the new year and I saw little of Clotho. There were last minute adjustments to costumes to be done. I did see the Count St. Germain though. He often asked after me for this task or other. More often we simply walked about the palace or its grounds and talked.

"I am just a sailor my Lord," I stated at one point.

"True. I have found that variety gives life more meaning. Tell me about yourself." He asked and I didn't feel I could naysay him.

"I am an orphan." I began and he seemed to guess that. "I was left at a nunnery but even the Sisters of Mercy would not have me. One of the initiates was directed to take me and leave me on the shore to perish. It was there that the Old Man found and raised me. He was a sailor. I learned my craft from him. He taught me to read and with the help of others I grew quickly and strong. I have seen ports near and far. I have faced every type of weather good or ill that the ocean can throw at a ship." I fell silent not knowing what else to say.

"You are Greek by birth." The Count stated and I nodded. "That makes sense of it."

"My Lord?" I asked not knowing what he meant.

"I should explain," he said. "I am among other things an alchemist." He said proudly. "I have spent decades studying the mysteries of the world. The metal that makes up the ring I gave you. I transmuted that from common ore. The diamond was flawed and smoky before I bent my will and arts to it. Now it gleams perfectly free of mar or flaw. I did that. In the pursuit of such understandings I have learned that the Old Gods are neither dead nor forgotten. Their blood still flows in select mortals." He paused to see my reaction. "You call out to Poseidon when the storm is fiercest. He listens to you and gives you safe passage."

"He does." I admitted. "I don't know why but I have always felt that connection."

"I will enlighten you as a wedding gift. Do you know the story of King Minos?" He asked and I laughed.

"You speak of the minotaur and the labyrinth." I said smiling.

"I do indeed. You need not answer aloud but ponder my questions. Do you ever get lost? When you plot a course do you really have to cast your eyes to the heavens to know where your ship lies? Your sense of smell is keener than those of other men." He had abandoned questions and was now listing off qualities. "Let me pose an alternative to the ancient story." The Count stated and I noted how he used the word story and not myth as most learned men did. "The King of Minos asked Poseidon for a special offering to consolidate his power and bolster the morale of his subjects. Instead of sending a white bull he in fact sent a tall albino warrior who carried the power of the god of the sea. Whether a direct offspring of Poseidon or an actual avatar the warrior was meant to be a sign of divine providence."

"Interesting. I can almost guess the rest. The queen fell in love or lust with the warrior and the king found out." I suggested and the Count urged me to continue. "Since she was of noble blood he couldn't just kill her so he quietly banished her. It would look ill on him if he just killed her. The warrior was also quietly locked away. He went mad from being used to the open sea and locked underground. The queen gave birth and before the child could be slain or sacrificed, he or she was spirited away." I finished. "How was that?"

"Excellent except for I believe the child was a boy. I think all of them that carry the mark of Poseidon are male." He said with a smile.

"You think I'm one of those children. You think I am a child of Poseidon." I laughed. "If the church found out I'd be burnt at the stake."

"That is why I keep my thoughts to myself on this matter. There are so few real wonders left in this world. I would preserve it if I could." He said and I believed him.

"What of you alchemist? What secrets have you discovered?" I asked and there was his serpentine smile. "Ah yes, the ring you gave me." I said taking it out and looking at it closely. "If this stone ever possessed flaws, they have long left it. You are truly a wonder yourself my Lord."

When I lowered the ring, I was standing alone near the hedge maze and there was no sign of the Count anywhere. The only place that wasn't open ground was the maze and he'd have had to slip in front of me to enter it unseen. I doubt anyone could do that. I sniffed the air for his unique scent and found the atmosphere free of it. He had quite literally vanished into thin air. Impressive trick St. Germain, very impressive indeed. Perhaps his story of the minotaur was why he was so keen upon Clotho and I marrying. He wanted to perpetuate the bloodline. Whether it was madness or an impossible truth I found myself liking the Count St. Germain.

I returned to my duties. I lost myself in work, the novel about the adventurer Gulliver, and the strange dreams that began haunting me after my walk with the Count. Dreams about the ocean, a white bull, and a gorgeous young woman. The new year approached, and the entire palace was decorated for the feast that would mark the day. There were musicians, entertainers, and food aplenty along with a generous amount of drink as well. The mood about the palace was upbeat and even the workers were in a fair spirit. I was moving a large cask of wine into place for the dance tonight when a red clad priest spied me and patiently waited for me to settle the barrel into place.

"I see why they call you Amaranthus," the priest stated as he introduced himself. "I am Cardinal Riverwood and your presence is requested. Follow me."

A cardinal sent to get me; this can't be good I thought. I felt my breath grow harsh as I feared I was going to be burnt at the stake. Were inquisitors waiting to pounce and clap me in irons? I looked around and sniffed the air trying to see how many they had sent to take me into custody. The priest chuckled and mentioned that I looked like a condemned man. Then he told me to relax. It was an honor to meet him. Meet who? We walked for what felt like an eternity. The private chapel belonged to the royal family I was told. The double doors were open, and I smelled burning incense, frankincense, and myrrh. The atmosphere was cloying with expensive perfumes. Had someone died? Did they need me to carry a coffin or corpse somewhere?

I entered with the Cardinal at my shoulder. I saw the King and next to him an elderly clergyman dressed in his fineries. In the old man's grasp a staff with an ornate top. The staff was covered in gold leaf, jewels, and etched with religious iconography.

"Kneel so that you can come into the presence of the Most Reverend Primate, the Archbishop of Canterbury." The Cardinal demanded. I knelt instantly.

"So, this is the White Rose you mentioned. St. Germain spoke quite highly of him. He is a handsome enough young fellow but is he worthy of your favorite weaver?" The old man chuckled. "Young love is so difficult to understand at my age your Majesty. This is highly unusual you understand."

"I do your Grace." The King replied using the Archbishop's honorific. "Consider it a personal favor of a dying man."

"Surely not," the Archbishop snapped. "God will grant you many years of life I am sure. I will do this thing to honor our long years of friendship. He must take a vow of silence on this thing. Though he does look like one that is good at keeping secrets doesn't he. William, take him to where he can change into more appropriate garments."

"Yes, your Grace!" The red clad priest snapped cheerily. "Follow me young man. You are truly blessed today."

I got to my feet and followed the Cardinal to a nearby room. A steaming bath was waiting. I stripped down, washed hurriedly, and dried off. The Cardinal stayed and watched me the entire time. As I dried off, he let out what sounded like a muffled curse.

"The poor girl." He chuckled under his breath.

I fought the urge to laugh as I dressed in the soft dark clothing. I recognized the stitching instantly. Clotho had made this for me. I stood and the Cardinal looked me over, made miniscule adjustments before declaring me ready. We returned to the chapel and a dozen more people stood within including three of the maids that served within the palace and my ship's captain as well. He wore his best suit and seemed to be fighting back tears of joy.

"Why are you crying Captain?" I asked and he gripped my arm tightly.

"It isn't everyday my best navigator gets married," he said and I nearly swooned. "Did you not know lad? Today is your wedding day!"