Becoming Atropos:

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All has been set into motion and fate is satisfied." Clotho said. "Sir Vasilios of Grave's End stands before you and he is both husband and father to twins."

"Twins! This is grand news indeed!" Atropos said in honest delight. "Two lines are saved and two lines are joined inexorably. The skein becomes most interesting indeed. Pity my part is soon to end."

"Are you ill?" I asked. "If there is anything I can do."

"Treat your bride with love and care Lord of Grave's End." The elderly woman stated. "Be you happy and settle not lest bitterness take root where only joy once flowered."

"I so promise." I declared and she smiled.

"We cannot depart until the children are born. Let us settle in and tell us of your journeys." Lachesis said as she sipped her tea.

"Now is the time good husband. Ask." Clotho laughed. "These few weeks of travel you have kept silent about the strange happenings before our sudden and rapid departure."

"Well yes. The King summoning the Archbishop for our marriage. The sudden knighthood granted to me, a mere sailor. The Inquisition and why they were hunting you. That is as fine a start as any good wife." I blurted out my annoyance poorly hidden.

"It all began with the Count St. Germain, my father. He wooed and seduced my mother with honeyed words and fierce love play or, so I am told. I learned my craft of weaving from my mother and also the many arcane and alchemical arts from him. Since I have him as a sire, I required a nobleman to marry. So, you were given a minor but necessary title to ensure none lay claim and annul our union. Since we were nobles albeit minor ones in some circles the Archbishop was solicited by my friend his Majesty. He knew about my departure from my homeland and the threat I was under. He housed me and gave me the disguise as a mere weaver." She paused to collect her thoughts.

"You are the most talented seamstress I've even encountered." I declared and she blushed.

"What I told you about men and control is true. When the Oracle of Delphi was consulted oft times she was given a script to follow by powerful men to bolster their reputations even though the vison was otherwise. The gods punish the foolish and selfish. So, it was with me. The Pope desired a reading and we gave it to him. He wished to make war, but the signs were against it. He was unhappy and then the comet returned, and it seemed to drive him mad. I had already taken refuge in London and my father joined me. Someone at court discovered who I really am and sent word to Rome. The inquisitors were sent to slay me and take blood price for an old man's folly." She seemed satisfied with her account and bit into a date and chewed slowly as I processed her story.

"Who are you?" I asked and Atropos laughed but not with ill humor.

"We are the Three Sisters Vasilios. The Moirai of Old." Atropos said in a soft soothing voice. "We are the same you and us. Our blood runs back to a better time. You are welcomed as family here."

"Three weavers who spin, and measure, and cut." Lachesis continued. "All are allotted but a certain amount of time upon the mortal realm."

"Now you see the truth of who we are and who you are. Be our protector my husband. Stand as bulwark against selfish men and love me as I will love you." Clotho said her voice like a soothing balm. Family. The most prized coin of my realm and they offered an inexhaustible amount of it.

"A perfect choice little sister," Atropos said smiling.

There was no need to answer. My heart was all the response they needed. I repaired the old house. I cut the wood. I did the shopping when they were too busy. My dear Clotho grew huge with child as the months passed inexorably. At the end of September, she went into labor. Lachesis acted as her nursemaid. I sat outside the house with Atropos. I held her hand as she appeared more fragile than ever. Over the last six months her health waned but she never uttered a single word of complaint. If she wanted to walk I strode by her side. If she wanted a story of distant lands, I shared a memory or two until she fell asleep. Now, as Clotho's first born cried out and took her first breath the elderly matron grasped me and kissed me. Her last breath passed into me. I held her as she died. Six minutes later my son was born. The children were cleaned, swaddled in fine cloth, and presented to me.

"Come in father." Lachesis said sounding weary and exhausted.

I opened the door and spied Clotho with a child on either side of her. Lachesis sat in the shadows recuperating from her time spent bringing my children into the world. Clotho beckoned me and I saw the dramatic change she had undergone. Some of her youth appeared to have departed but I didn't speak of it. I looked down at the faces of my children. The girl child was as cute as could be with an angelic face framed by the dark blue cloth covering her. My son was indeed without a doubt from my loins. His snowy skin, pale lashes, and a small tuft of white hair jutted out from the ebony material surrounding him.

"Clotho, two fine children you have given us." I said and my wife shook her head. "I don't understand."

"Clotho no longer my love, I am Lachesis now. I am the mother." She whispered weakly.

"Atropos lies dead outside." I said and again she shook her head.

"No, she sits wearied in the corner." My wife explained as the elderly woman walked into the light.

"Hold your daughter Vasilios, hold our dear Clotho close to you." Lachesis urged.

I picked up both children and I now understood the miraculous cycle I had been adopted into. Providence had chosen me to assist in their renewal. Fate was cradled in my powerful hands. I was given the one thing every one seeks out. I had love, family, and a destiny.