Becoming His Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then she stepped into the lavender dress and zipped it up the side. Four twenty-five. She'd finished with minutes to spare. She gathered her things quickly and stuffed them back into her backpack. Thankfully, no one else had come into the bathroom while she'd changed, and she was able to slip out through the back door of the library largely unnoticed by the staff.

Cameron's Mercedes, its windshield repaired, was already sitting in the back loop. He was standing outside in a navy blue tux, leaning against its nose and scrolling through his phone.

"Holy shit!" A burst of giggles issued from behind Lila as she approached. She turned and saw the two girls who'd whispered about her in the bathroom earlier coming out the back door behind her. Their eyes were wide. "What is it, second prom?"

Cameron stepped forward, roused from his scrolling by teenage voices.

"Move along, girls," he said, taking Lila's arm. The paralysis left her, pushed aside by the warmth of him against her side.

"Oh, my God," one of them said, openly gawking. She made a motion toward Lila. "Lena -- Layla -- What's your name?"

"It's none of your business," Lila said, stepping into the car through the door Cameron had pulled open for her. A low chuckle issued from his throat as he closed it and went around the other side to get in. Then they were alone, pulling away from the curb in front of the two gaping girls.

"Do you know them?" he asked her, piloting the car down to High Street.

"They're in the class below me, I think." Lila shook her head. "They're going to spread it all around town. What am I going to do?"

"Embrace it. You stood there like a deer in headlights," he said.

"I can't embrace it." She was panicking inside. "It'll get around to my mom and Robert. I know it will. What am I going to do?"

"Would it kill you to relax about it just for tonight?" he asked, his jaw set.

"No," she said softly. "It wouldn't kill me."

"Then please." He glanced across at her. "You look beautiful."

"I broke a hundred pounds," she said shyly.

"That's my baby," he said, and she could hear the pride in his voice.

She lay her head back against the soft leather of her seat and looked out the window, but found it harder and harder to relax as they got closer to their destination. She didn't know what to expect. At the end of the day, the Langley was much as described. Cameron gave his keys to the valet and took her arm, and they went inside through grand doors held by doormen in coattails.

"Welcome to the past," Cameron said in a low voice as they stepped into the lobby.

She drew a breath, casting her eyes about. It was too much for her to take in all at once, and she grew dizzy and overwhelmed. The potted palms, the frescoed ceiling, the columns and the marble tiles underfoot. She clung to Cameron's arm while he spoke to a man at the desk, who summoned a bellhop to escort them to the ballroom.

"Is it your first time at the Langley?" asked the bellhop.

"Her first time," Cameron said with a laugh. "You can probably tell, her eyes are as big as dinner plates. I've been here before."

The bellhop gave Lila a single glance, and she understood immediately from its complete openness that she would not be judged by anyone here for being new or young. A delicious tingle went up her spine. This was a new world, a secret world, a world completely different from the one she inhabited day to day. She looked up at Cameron, understanding for the first time the utter divergence between the spheres they occupied. How had these two things come into touch? She was a recent high school graduate whose stepfather held a decent job.

He was a billionaire. An actual billionaire. She didn't know it for sure, for she'd never asked him directly, but her friends had insinuated enough.

"What's your net worth?" she squeaked up at him as they passed through the ballroom's gilded doors.

"That's a little forward of you to ask, don't you think?" he teased. His hand slipped down to capture hers. "We don't like to brag about these kinds of things in my line of work."

"Yes, but what is it?" She wriggled her feet in her heels. "I'm sorry, it just struck me..."

"I'm among the five richest men in this room," Cameron said. "Why don't you mingle? Then you can do the math."

She looked around the room. A few ladies in dresses far more delightful than hers stood chatting by a long table of hors d'oeuvres. Couples stood together talking with other couples. A few suited men had clearly noticed her entrance with Cameron and were making their way toward them. All were older, in their fifties or sixties.

"It's the young buck and his beautiful mystery date," said the first to reach them, his eyes lingering on Lila. He extended his hand to her. "No wonder he's kept you a secret."

She took his hand tentatively and was shocked when he brought hers to his lips and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. Cameron batted him away.

"Cut it out, George," he said. Lila watched them closely. He was clearly familiar with this man. "She's frightened as is, don't terrorize her."

"Oh, but it would be such a delight. What's your name, little princess?"

Lila swallowed, a sour taste rising in her mouth. By her side, she felt Cameron stiffen slightly. That was his pet name for her. She didn't think anyone else ought to be able to use it.

"Lila," she said, clearing her throat. "Lila Henson."

George's eyes skated across her, and then he nodded and faded into the background as the others came up to make her acquaintance. She had never been gladder to have eschewed Robert's last name. What a stir it would have made if they had known her stepfather. And there was at least one person who did, Jake Finnegan, who wandered his way over to join them by the punch bowl after the initial crowd had moved off.

"Cameron. Lila," he said, tipping his glass at her. His eyes sparkled. "I will say, it's wonderful to see the two of you out and together like this. I had my suspicions on the day of your stepfather's party, Lila -- so imagine my shock when Cameron confirmed them himself only a few days later. Have no fear, you have my utmost discretion."

"Thank you," Lila said softly.

"But I'd still like to hear about how it happened." Jake leaned closer. "Who seduced who?"

Lila blushed. Cameron, glancing down at her, captured her hand and brought it to his lips.

"The seducing was all mine, I fear," he said. "Though she was open to the possibility."

"I'm a hopeless romantic," Lila blurted out.

"Well, I wish you the best," said Jake. His eyes rested on Lila. "You should know that this is a big deal for Cameron. In all the years I've known him, I think I've only seen him bring a date to a function like this once."

"And who was that?" Lila whispered to Cameron as Jake walked off.

"Who do you think?" he asked, his tone a little snappy.

A cold feeling filled the pit of her stomach.

"It was Claire," he finished, before she could say anything. "She was in town and insisted on accompanying me. It wasn't very long after we broke up."

"Sometimes I'm not sure you ever broke up," Lila snapped.

"Why on earth would you say that?" he asked with a short laugh.

"She's in town, you bring her to a function. You're in town, you take her out to dinner. And I'm sure you text all the time. Sounds like some kind of long distance thing to me," Lila said, folding her arms across her chest.

"We do not text all the time," Cameron said.

He went to get some drinks, leaving her by a pillar alone. For a few happy moments she surveyed the room unnoticed, but then she became aware that a woman in a red dress who had just come in was staring at her. She ducked her head, trying to avoid the woman's gaze, but when she looked up a moment later she found herself pinioned again by a pair of dark, baleful eyes, from across the room no less.

Cameron returned, his form temporarily blocking out the gaze.

"What's wrong?" he asked. He sounded tired. "I'm sorry that I took Claire to a function once a long time in the past before I met you."

"You're not really sorry," Lila said. "And you don't have to be. I'm sorry I was being petty about it. But who is that lady in red who's staring at me -- at us?"

He turned. His eyes fixed on the lady in red, who quickly turned away. Lila let out a nervous laugh.

"You scared her, I guess."

But Cameron had tensed.

"She shouldn't be here," he said. He passed one glass to Lila. "Did you see who she came in with? Oh, there he is. Rex. I should have known. That slimy motherfucker."

"Who is she?" Lila asked again.

Cameron turned back toward her all at once.

"I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to be upset," he said.

"Well, she's not Claire!"

"No, but she is Jennifer. I broke things off with her a few weeks ago when we started seeing each other. Do you remember, you asked me about her products -- "

"In your bathroom, yes," Lila said. She held her head high, looking across the room at the interloper. "Well, you didn't invite her here. But I want to be introduced."

"What?" Cameron looked flabbergasted. "Why would you want that?"

"Because I'm not afraid."

"Lila, you stubborn angel, you don't need to prove anything to her."

"But I do, or she won't think I belong here. No one will. Look, they're both looking at us now." Lila indicated toward Jennifer and her suited partner, a man much older than Cameron. She caught his arm. "Let's go. Introduce me."

"Lila -- " he began.

But she pulled him along. He didn't begin to offer any serious resistance until they were nearing Jennifer and Rex, who had begun to canoodle alongside the long table. Then he caught her arm and pulled her sharply back, making it clear that her decided course of action ran contrary to his own wishes.

"Lila, it's not a good idea," he said.

"What's the matter?" She wrenched herself away from him, a part of her infuriated. "I said I'm not afraid. Are you?"

"This has nothing to do with being afraid," he shot back at her. "This is about not making a scene."

She tossed her hair.

"There won't be a scene. I'm your date, aren't I? Introduce me."

"My, my." A saccharine female voice met her ears, and she turned away from Cameron to see that Jennifer had narrowed the gap between them herself. "I see your string of lovers' spats could hardly have ended with me, dear Cameron. Tell me, who is this latest notch on your belt?"

"You know who this is," Cameron muttered. He stepped forward to stand beside Lila. "I told you about her when we agreed to stop seeing each other. Lila, meet Jennifer. Jennifer, Lila."

"Lila. Goodness, you're a skinny thing, aren't you?" Jennifer asked, puffing herself up and thrusting her not-insubstantial cleavage in Cameron's direction. "Let me guess, he's trying to fatten you up. In my case, he wanted to slim me down. It's all about control, one way or another. You come to understand that about him."

"Oh, Jennifer, I thought we had said -- " Jennifer's date, Rex, came up to stand next to her and fell abruptly silent before extending a hand stiffly to Cameron. "Mr. Winthrop. It's a pleasure, as always."

Cameron didn't take the extended hand.

"Likewise," he said coldly. "You seem to have sunk even lower as of late. Escorts are one thing, but sloppy seconds? My condolences to your wife."

Lila watched the other man's face turn red, and then redder.

"Take it back," Rex hissed.

"Oh, don't mind him, sweetie." Jennifer covered the back of her hand, stifling a laugh. "Cameron's always one for the witticisms. A man can cover a lot up with a silver tongue, you know. One might say he's compensating for something. Well, it was darling to meet you, Lila. Perhaps we'll get a chance to speak again after it all goes downhill for you and Prince Charming."

"You have no right to say that," Lila said.

But Jennifer and Rex were already moving away, and Cameron's hand had clamped down on her arm. He pulled her across the room to the windows, which looked out on the early evening glow. When Lila looked up at him, she became frightened. She had never seen him look quite so angry before. He raked a hand through his hair, his movements unhinged.

"You disobeyed me," he said, flatly.

She held her head up high.

"You never said no."

"Well, I should have. That was idiotic. You're so insecure that you needed that? Jennifer and I are done, Lila. I told you that. Do you not trust me? Why do you need to rub it in her face? How do you think she feels?"

"She doesn't care about what you feel," Lila fired back. "If she did, she wouldn't have come here."

"She's an escort," Cameron said, his voice turning nasty. "She's being paid to be here. It has nothing to do with my feelings."

"You didn't tell me she was an escort!"

"Why the fuck would you have needed to know?" He shook his head at her, his eyes wide. "I swear, I do not understand you at all. Stay here. I'm getting some champagne. Don't speak to anyone while I'm gone. That's an order."

"I never agreed to take orders!" Lila called shrilly after him, but he was gone, vanishing in a storm of blue and gray. She pressed herself against the windows, her heart pounding in her chest. In one hand she still held a glass of punch. She wanted to cry, or to break something, to let the glass slip from her fingers and shatter into a million pieces of the floor. Across the hall, she watched Jennifer detach herself from Rex and head in the direction of the ladies' room.

Then she felt herself moving, her feet compelled into a flurry of furious steps. The punch she discarded on a table as she went by. She pushed open the door to the powder room before the attendant could open it for her.

Jennifer stood over one of the sinks, touching up her makeup.

"You have no right to treat me like that," Lila said angrily.

"Treat you like what?" The other woman's voice was low. She swung around to face Lila, a fresh coat of lipstick half-applied. "I didn't say anything to you, actually."

"Why did you even come here?"

"Relax, sweetheart, your teenager is showing." Jennifer laughed, turning back to the mirror. "He's crazy, bringing you to a party like this. I guess I never gave the man enough credit. So why don't you take some pointers from me? Number one, I'm paid for my work, as I'm sure he's made clear to you. If he doesn't pay you for yours, then that's between you and him. Number two, it's only a matter of time before this little delusional world the two of you are operating in falls apart, and then he'll come running home to women like me. You see, Lila, you're a sweet little thing, but the man is incapable of love. He drew me in, too, at first, but at the end of the day you find out there's no mystery after all. He's just a fucked-up guy who likes putting women through the wringer because his mother never loved him. So there."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Lila said, but she swore she could hear her own heart beating, so loudly did it pound against the cage of her chest.

"Oh, I'm pretty sure you have a good idea. You seem more perceptive than most girls your age. Tell me, what kinds of things have you two done together? Did he get you ice cream? Take you for a spin in one of those shiny cars? Blow your mind, literally and figuratively? You don't mean to tell me he's actually gotten to the whips and chains, now do you?"

"He has, actually," Lila said hotly. "And I like it."

"Oh, you like it. A little bare-handed spanking, some love taps here and there. Dear girl, how naive can you be? There's a whole world of pain out there, and the man won't stop until you're black and broken and blue, and then what -- " She raised her eyebrows at Lila. "Thank you, next. Believe me, I know. I went through it. At least I was being paid!"

"That's not true," Lila said fiercely, but even she could hear, or rather feel, the falter in her voice, a little catch in her throat, a raspy place where the wind blew through, and it was a cold wind. "He cares about me."

"Maybe he thinks he does. But in the long run, he can't." Jennifer tossed her hair and dropped her tube of lipstick back into her handbag. "Really, women are just playthings for him, unless they have the balls to leave him like his ex did. Now that relationship is an eyeopener. He's never really gotten over her, if you ask me, any more than he's gotten over his druggie mother and spineless father. They text every day. Call, too, most days. But he'll never ask for her back. Because she left him."

Lila said nothing. Her head had begun to spin. Round and around it spun, while Jennifer prattled on. Finally the other woman stopped, took a long hard look at her, and laughed.

"Well, I guess I rocked your world. It's a pity all good things come to an end, isn't it? At the end of the day, I'm sure you'll thank me. Bubbles aren't built to last forever. Goodnight, little princess. Rex and I are leaving this party early so we can go up to his hotel room where he can fuck me very hard. Tell me, what are you and Cameron doing after? Visiting the petting zoo? Enjoy yourselves."

She walked out, spritzing perfume as she went. A cloud of it hung around Lila. She gripped the edge of the sink, staring at her reflection in the mirror. She was as white as a sheet.

"Are you all right, darling?" asked the attendant standing by the door.

Lila glanced over at her.

"Oh, I'm all right," she said. She was too shocked to cry. Too shocked to do anything but touch up her lip gloss and head back to the door, where she paused. "I guess you get to hear a lot of fights."

"All the drama," the attendant said with a roll of her eyes toward heaven. "Although that woman sounded particularly nasty. I hope you enjoy the rest of your night, sweetheart."

"I intend to," Lila heard herself say, before she walked out.

***

She wandered back across the ballroom back to the windows, where she half-expected to find Cameron, but he was nowhere to be seen. The number of people in the room had swelled, and no one seemed to notice her, the skinny girl in the lavender dress standing alone by the windows. Time seemed to stand still. She didn't know how long she stood there, watching men in suits and women in evening gowns spin and flirt and laugh and fight.

Then, suddenly, he was there, standing in front of her.

"Where have you been?" she asked.

He said nothing, only caught her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor. The live band was playing something sad and slow. And it struck her, as she stood in his arms and smelled the alcohol on his breath, that she was losing him. That he was the best thing that had ever happened to her, but that they were losing each other. That she had not been ready for what had unfolded between them. That perhaps neither had he. That this had to be, for her sake and for his, their last night together.

She pulled back from him, breathless, though she couldn't escape the cage of his arms.

"Cameron," she said. His stormy eyes came into focus. He had become, in the space of a single month, her whole world, and she was losing him. "Are you drunk?"

"Huh?" He bent toward her, laughing. She could smell it on his breath, taste it on his tongue when he kissed her hard on the mouth. "I have a surprise for you, princess."

"A surprise?" she asked.

Then he had whisked her off the dance floor and pulled her toward the exit, while she clattered after him, stumbling in her heels. They were leaving the party, the comfortable humdrum colorful world of the party. He was pulling her into the dark, and she found she had no choice but to follow his lead.

"Fourth floor," he told the elevator operator, and then she realized.

"Cameron -- " she began.

"Shh." He pressed a finger flat against her lips, backing her into the elevator. She felt her back hit the mirrored wall, cold seeping through the thin fabric of her gown. "Shh. Be quiet for once, Lila."