Becoming Monsters: In the Mirror Ch. 07

Story Info
Paying Attention. Step outside, meet Sarah.
4.5k words
4.85
3.1k
8

Part 7 of the 32 part series

Updated 04/14/2024
Created 10/16/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is still a noncanonical fanfiction to the Becoming Monsters series, by Ai Loves, setting used with permission. All canonical and mechanical errors are my own. The yarrb is the creation of FelisRandomis, used with permission.

--

Chapter 7: Paying Attention

"Lucy! Whitney! You two alright?" Yeah, like I was one to talk.

"No injuries, just going to sleep for about two years." Kind of glad for Lucy. She was not built to take the kind of punishment the monster could and had done to myself and Whitney. Speaking of...

"Definite injuries, but I'll be alright. Full Hunger tank again." Whitney had stopped bleeding, thankfully, but with no idea how her Regeneration worked I didn't want to depend on it. Our Regeneration, I guess. If it gained progression by use, the two of us would certainly have earned it.

There was shockingly little damage to the area. Some superficial burn marks to a nearby bush that caught my cast Lightning Net when I missed, some pavement scarring where the sword had landed and where the axe had struck. That was about it, the rest could be cleaned up rapidly. Thing is, the fight had not been quiet, and though the neighborhood didn't like responding to such things one of them might have called authorities. This was something I could not currently afford to have happen.

"Lucy! Take some pictures and gather whatever the thing dropped. Quick on the evidence, I'm not sure if we're going to have to prove it." She nodded, and got to picking up gold coins and green scales. "Whitney, if you can, as soon as this fire dies down I need you to grab the woman inside of it and bring her up to the apartment, lay her on the couch."

"The WHAT inside of it?" she exclaimed.

"I'll explain later, last time it was you." I was already trotting towards where the sword had fallen, along with the hand that had been holding it. Seriously, nice freaking slice. The hand itself had dissolved away other than a couple of green scales. The sword and the ring were still there. Those presented other problems. The ring was absolutely cursed, or at the very least had been five minutes prior. It looked like heavily-tarnished silver, with a simple diamond pattern cut into it. The sword was clearly magical, though I couldn't say exactly what traits it held. It was also enormous. It might have a scimitar-ish shape, but the dozen or so pounds of metal it represented felt like a million to me as I tried to pick it up by the guard. Didn't want to risk it being cursed, either, despite the fact the glow had died as soon as the Hezrou did.

Thing is? I couldn't risk just leaving them for a random passer-by. They'd have to come up to the apartment. Analysis was expensive. I might be able to call in a favor at the Curse Annex over the ring, but the sword would have to be Guild work. I pulled a small bag out of my pocket for the ring, it was manashed material in the event of thaumium-radiating pickups. It would have to do for now.

We limped our way to the elevator undisturbed. No authorities made it before we were clear, for once. I had no plan on reporting and claiming this bounty. They didn't need to know. Intervening in two witnessed attacks so close together was stretching probability already, a third one would be met with suspicion at best. At worst? I'd already had pistols and rifles pointed at me by police this week, I didn't want to try for shotguns.

The sun was finding its evening's rest by the time we laid the curse's victim out on the couch. She did not look like the delving type, all soft curves, straight blonde hair, pretty face, and nearly no muscle, dressed in sweats and a tee shirt that were both shredded and stained so badly they might as well not exist. I left one of my hoodies next to her for the morning to preserve her modesty, a comfy gray one that would probably fit her like a tent. Thankfully, I could tell she was legitimately doing almost as well as Whitney on Hunger. We had enough food and room to at least let her wake up here, to figure out where she needed to go.

"So... what now?" Lucy said what we were all thinking. I sighed.

"Depends on a few things. Whitney, does your Regeneration take a fuel source of some kind?"

"Food. Berserkers get a reputation as big eaters because we use the nutrients every time we get a claw across the chest." She winced a bit as she tried to stretch. "Also helps with stamina, but takes more fuel for health."

"Alright, that's good. We can snack before bed. When she wakes up in the morning, we're going to have a long conversation over a big breakfast."

"Hate to say it, Jay, but there is one other thing I need to do." She was looking at my arm. "Ribs will mostly set themselves if your ability works anything like mine, unless you really shatter them, but if you don't let me set that arm then by tomorrow you'll have to have someone re-break it for you."

It was my turn to wince. I had broken a major bone exactly two other times in the last five years, and it was never pleasant. "I can't afford that, so do your worst." She came over, got into position, and pulled. It. Freaking. Hurt. I managed to not scream. Somehow. Still, it hurt less afterwards, and hopefully that meant I'd have a usable shield arm again in the near future. "Mind if I take first shower? I think I need the warm water for that. Ow."

The others nodded. We got ourselves out of our gear, got it and ourselves clean, and raided the fridge. We'd need to go for groceries in the next couple of days at this rate. Lucy hit the bed and passed out like someone hit a switch. On the cot, Whitney did the same. Our newest guest had not awoken in the time that all took. I was the only one up. It still felt too early. I wasn't used to it, no matter how much I wanted to sleep and let my body deal with its wounds.

Munching on a protein bar, I glanced out the kitchen window. Not much of a view, to be sure, but I was feeling restless. The alleyway was mostly empty, some trash cans were about it. One of which rustled. The yarrb stuck its head out, looking disappointed.

I frowned. It had been too friendly, too helpful, for me to just let that happen. The pantry thankfully had a fix, a can of tuna I peeled open and walked outside. The alleyway looked much less friendly from the ground as a car passed behind me, especially injured and mostly spent on mana, but a soft whistle was enough to get the yarrb's attention. "Come on, can't let you just dig for food. You like tuna?"

It trotted over, giving the can I set down a sniff. A lick. A nibble. Then, an enthusiastic dig in. "About time I made this official, but can't really take care of you. What should I call you, though? Ever had a name?"

The yarrb looked up from its dinner at me, and quite clearly shook its head no. "Alright, I'll think of something." It meeped at me, smiling in a toothy way, then walking forward to rub against my leg. I bent down to give its head a scratch, not wanting to risk the quills on its back just then. "Glad you liked the treat. Thank you for the warning today. That could have ended badly if we weren't ready. I have to go and sleep, but take care of yourself, alright? I'll see you tomorrow."

It nodded, then returned to the can. Cute thing. I really wondered where it had come from as I walked back to the front door, they weren't exactly common in the city...

*THWACK*

When my eyes opened, I had a headache. Yeah, okay, emerging from a dark alleyway at night in a less-upscale neighborhood was probably not the best idea, and I'd used up all of my good luck for the month surviving this past week, but really? Really. Conked over the head and abducted?

I got over myself. Fast. They obviously didn't want me dead or I'd have been dead. Air smelled like seawater, I was blindfolded but not all that well. The building I was in was dark but had some large containers in it. Some high windows with cloudy night sky visible and my arm and ribs screaming at me indicated I hadn't been missing long. Lucy probably didn't know I was gone yet, so I couldn't depend on rescue. I had not brought my phone out with me. My watch was missing, not that it would have done me any good, since it needed the phone to broadcast. I was tied to a chair, but not gagged. The ropes... if I wasn't injured, I'd be able to get free, but as it stood I'd need a lot of luck (which had apparently run out) to burn my way through them.

The sound of footsteps on concrete, the distinct "tic, tic, tic" of clawed feet striking the floor. No other sound? Okay, no shoes, padded feet? Could be a few things. A slightly shrill female voice came from behind me. "He's awake! Good, it's question time."

Okay, explained why I was both alive and not gagged. "You could have just asked, no need for theatrics. I'm an open book." Best to just answer anything I possibly could. Lowest danger, fastest exit.

She laughed, that odd shrill note entering her voice again. "Really? Mr. Incubus-pretends-to-be-a-Gargoyle? I have questions for you, but don't try to pretend there's nothing to you. Nothings don't get my attention. Now, care to explain why you suddenly seem to be everywhere this week?"

Huh. Okay. She had definitely done her research, but dangit was the makeup even working on anyone anymore? "Um. You mean the attacks I've been repelling? Scorpion, demon, skeletons? I tracked down the first one off a tip, the others happened to be where I was."

"You forgot to mention one Paladin, again with goons, one troll, and the second demon. Try again."

Good grief. "If you know those happened, you know they all came to me. I'm a surface hunter, and this week has had more fights than the last year." I debated trying to project an emotion through my Aura, but I couldn't figure out one that might give me an edge in my chances.

"And the networks? Hero bursts onto the scene with a Succubus on his arm and suddenly has information coming to him from sources he shouldn't? Without spending more than a couple of silvers on it?"

"Um." Smooth, Jay, real smooth. "You mean me asking people to let me know about monster attacks so that I can get to them before they do much damage?"

She hissed at the word "monster." Okay, got it. Avoid the M word. Also: cat. What kind of cat, no clue, but I was 99% certain I was dealing with a cat. "You went from a little nothing, coding in your crappy apartment," ouch, "to a major network with you at the center in a week? And you expect me to believe it? What's your real game, demon?"

"I already told you. I make more intercepting surface attacks, and more are happening now. I have no idea who you are or who you work for, and really don't want to know. I'll stay out of your way if that's what you want, I just can't afford to move away."

There was a yank. My blindfold was ripped from my head, painfully. I was right on for my assessment, before me stood a woman. Looked like a Cat Beastfolk with black fur, slitted eyes narrowed with anger, dressed in a business suit. Her hands were structured oddly, more akin to paws, and her claws were out. One came up just under my chin. Unpleasantly close to jugular. I did not have to call up Status to know that I had nowhere near the HP remaining to survive if she decided I needed a second smile.

"No real assets. Living that close to the edge of your means, barely surviving, and trying to run around and play hero to the downtrodden? Hah." The sound was without mirth. Cynical and dead. "Fine then. Keep trying to get yourself killed. You get in our way, it will be the last you see of your wife and houseguest."

The floor dropped out from my gut. She knew how to threaten, that's for sure, but also gave me a lot of information. There was either a team or mob at play, probably involving the caller of the bank assault skeletons. She also said "houseguest." Singular. She didn't know about the new one, despite knowing about the demon fight. "If I think it's you, I'll try to evade instead of engage. I could do with less fighting. I have one question, my biggest problems recently have been with a major curse. Icon looks like an eye, really tenacious. Are those you?"

She smiled. It seemed... almost genuine? "No, that is not us. You just got yourself tapped for information, best not run too far, hero." I did not like the sound of that one. Not at all. This time, they let me stay conscious, but definitely blindfolded me better. At least they shoved my watch into my pocket. There were at least two other people involved, both either strongly built or of a high-STR Race. They were not gentle, no matter how the conversation seemed to have gone, and I found myself shoved into the trunk of a vehicle. One with bad suspension, I felt every bump in the road in my arm and ribs. Thing is? Between the roads, the warehouse, and the smell? I knew the building to within a block. My Guild used to use one of those dock warehouses for equipment storage, back when the place was a no-man's land. Had to get clear when companies started reasserting ownership.

The trip from the warehouse to the street I live on took about thirty minutes due to the lack of traffic in the evening. They untied me and dumped me out the back, by the time I got my blindfold off I barely had time to see a black van without a license plate.

Freaking. Stereotypes.

I stumbled back to my apartment. Just like I thought, all three ladies were still asleep. The pain of the day and the interview were wearing on me, but could have been much worse. It was past midnight, hopefully what little sleep I'd be able to get would be enough.

It... well, it wasn't, but it was close enough that I'd be able to fake it. Wasn't planning on doing anything more strenuous than groceries today, anyway. Other than telling the others.

The morning came early once more. Not a one of us bothered to pay it any mind. I was the first to wake up, near nine. I immediately got to brewing up more coffee. A lot of it, today I would likely need it even if I did nothing. The second to wake, much to my surprise, was my newest guest.

"Good morning, and welcome to my home. My name's Jay, if I may know yours?"

She looked timid. Almost shrunken in her new hoodie. Her Aura was still at full strength, but her voice was high and faint. Her lizard-like yellow eyes blinked slowly. "Sarah. Where am I?"

"Seattle. You were the victim of a curse, it reverted you to a major demonic form. We had to fight you in order to clear it."

"I... have no recollection of that. Or anything else, really. I don't know how I got here. Went to sleep in Vancouver one day. Now I'm not there. It might not be the greatest town anymore, but it's home."

"Believe it or not, this is a story we've heard before. When did you go to sleep?"

"December eighteenth. Family was visiting."

"It's August seventeenth now. You had best call your family. Coffee?" I slid my phone to her, unlocked.

She picked it up. "No thanks. Cocoa if you have it, or milk. Not allergic or anything, just not a fan." She got dialing as I got her some milk. Cocoa was not something we kept on hand often. She frowned a moment later. I had a very, very bad feeling about this. "No answer. That's strange."

"I hope it's nothing, but until we can get you in contact with them you're stuck here. With all due respect and with your permission, I have a Scan ability I'd like to use on you. Making sure you're alright, and not hiding anything I need to know about."

She nodded readily. "Your home, I guess, best be a good guest while I'm here." I focused. My mana wasn't yet fully recovered after the draining it took last night, but I had plenty for this. Sarah Castellán, age 22. No noted curses active. Hezrou Race, Sloth Hunger. Good Int and Lck, Dex as a third class attribute, currently well-rested, with a highlighted ability of Combat Disenchant. Enchanter class, level...

Six? Enchanters are not Alchemists, but both commiserate about the sheer expense of getting stronger. She came from wealth, or had access to a lot of it at some point.

I shook my head, clearing the screen and returning to the now. "Combat Disenchant is a new one to me, are you a Delver?"

She wobbled a hand. "Not really? I was trying to keep to a Generalist track, don't want to overcommit to a specific tool or trinket, so that was the alternative. I took High Yield disenchanting, but that lets me cut the process down to a few moments and do it with some range if I'm willing to cut what materials get preserved. Also doesn't always fully disenchant, sometimes it just suppresses things for a minute or two. Canada doesn't license Delvers quite the same way as the US. I mostly got my papers to keep people from harassing me, especially since they list that I can nuke equipment."

Helped explain a lot. "Okay. Well, welcome again. We do have materials here if you want to check the inventory and make stuff while you're here, the fact that you hit six tells me you either really like your Class or do it for work. Or both. If you do any fighting, we will need to know what you need for it. Only stuff you had on you were a magical ring and sword, and you don't look like the type to swing oversized scimitars around."

Her eyes lit up. "The ring came with me? Silver, with a crosshatch outside and bisecting line inside?"

I nodded. "Good news and bad news. That's the ring alright... but whatever curse hit you, the ring was anchoring it. I have it in a manashed fabric bag right now for safety."

She paled, even more than she already was. "That ring was my first major working. It's intended to hold enchantments and clear them easily and efficiently so that I can practice my formulae and customize my loadout if I'm going to do anything dangerous." She took a slow breath. Lucy came into the room to this, drawn by the smell of coffee. "I also need to ask you something. About you."

"I don't blame you. Go ahead."

"Why am I having the uncharacteristic urge to beg you to bend me over this table and screw me?" My wife, having been in the middle of a long sip of coffee, sprayed it all over the linoleum in front of the refrigerator. Spluttering, coughing, and laughing, she got to wiping it up. Sarah seemed a bit mystified. "Was it something I said?"

"Sarah, I'd like to introduce you to Lucy. My wife." Our newest visitor, for her part, seemed to shrink even further into the hoodie. "Luckily for you, she does understand these things... now. See, here's the deal. I am an Incubus, I feed on other Demonic Races. Via sex." She blushed a bit. "To that end, I attract them. In addition, a class ability I picked up recently... intensified the effect, shall we say, and if I feed on you, I will pick up a copy of one of your abilities. Probably Combat Disenchant, if I judge things right."

Her eyes widened. "I've never ever heard of an ability like that. Let me study it, and you got yourself a deal!" Lucy started laughing again, this time joined by both myself and Whitney (who had just walked in). Sarah looked over her shoulder at the imposing Berserker. "Um... hi?"

"And that is Whitney, you two have a lot in common. And for reference, I wasn't actively offering, but I will take your assent in mind. Feels nice having active consent." I nodded to the others, who nodded back. It was, in fact, good to have some understanding. "Whitney, how are you healing? I know I still have a long way to go."

"Doing good, though I could eat another turkey leg... followed by that troll from yesterday." She dug into the fridge before even getting her own coffee. "Oh, and I'm not one to throw stones. That business proposition is between you and your wife."

"Nice of you to consider me, right?" Lucy's tone was a bit acidic, but thoughtful. "What did you say your Class was, again? And your Feeding?"

"Uh, I didn't mention the Feeding... but I'm an Enchanter, level six with High Yield and Combat Disenchant. I Feed mostly passively, have to be around people who are sleeping or resting when they're not gaining from it. Stronger if they have an obligation they should be doing otherwise. Pretty good range, about a hundred yards, but it takes me a long time to get full passively if I get low."

12