Becoming Monsters: Tidbits 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This one, however, was regarding them with icy, hostile intent. Its voice was fuzzed with static, sounding like its speakers could not quite handle the bit rate of its actual speech. "You will not pass me. I hope you know that. Ten others have tried whom I did not allow, none succeeded. Only Alpha Omega members will proceed."

May took two steps forward. "I am from Alpha Omega, and Ghata is rushing for us. The others are with us. Let us past."

"I'm afraid that is not true, May. I know who you are, and you have lost your status with the Order as of this morning. You left us." The Protogen's clawed hands came up and curled into fists, and as it did a pair of blazing white swords came into existence. They were grasped firmly, seemingly made of burning magnesium for their intensity. "The rules forbid that I kill or maim you in this event. They do not say anything about temporary pain and injury. Do not attempt to come any closer."

In response, Ghata and Song shifted themselves. Both became monstrous versions of themselves, a tiger and a golden fox rippling with muscle and barely bipedal. May took up a combat stance, as did the rest of the team behind her. "Last chance. You are outnumbered eight to one."

"That only means this will take eight strikes." Without further warning, his form blurred. In the space between blinks, he was suddenly behind Chester, the line of white light in his right hand tracing a wild arc as it slammed into him. The Cheshire Cat was caught completely off guard and was knocked flying, landing in a barely-conscious heap. May held out one hand towards it, eyes glowing, but as her face turned from triumph to shock the Protogen blurred again. This time, its movement ended with the tip of its left saber slamming into her forehead, knocking her backwards and unconscious.

It jumped high into the sky, the next strike aimed at Corey. Tiny managed to interpose a rocky cross block and took the hit, only to find the being had twisted behind him to deliver two more strikes. One each at the heads of Corey and Tiny, and neither fared any better than May. Song and Ghata, moving frightfully quickly but seeming to be swimming through molasses compared to their foe, both began to deliver clawed attacks in rapid sequence. Their claws met nothing but air.

Trying to find an opening, Todd activated one of his latent spells. The Scan was rushed, and as he looked at the information he felt Anticipate Peril activate, his body reflexively diving to the left just in time to dodge another one of those horrible attacks. "He's a Soulsaber! Level nine, dedicated combat class." A name came with this information. "Lucas, what the HECK are you doing here? At that Level and Class, you should be neck deep in every Dungeon in the country while people shower you with money for what you bring back!"

It stood there. "Money can buy food and a roof over my head. It cannot do what I need it to. You are the last one left. Surrender, return to the starting point to claim your Silver, and agree not to try to touch the Gold Orb, or I will do the same to you."

Todd looked around at the sprawled out and groaning bodies of his friends. Put together, they had not managed to make Lucas break a sweat, much less actually harm them. The way forward was painfully clear. Todd raised both hands in surrender. "Just help me get my friends to the elevator? I do not nearly have the Strength to drag a Gargoyle."

"You... don't have to." The gravelly voice and changing noises indicated that Tiny was slowly getting up off the ground. As he did so, another winged and red-skinned man flew in, and with a thumbs-up from Lucas calmly walked over, touched the orb, and took off again towards the cafeteria. Ghata was getting up, the others not too far behind. The Protogen nodded towards the elevator, and the eight challengers took the hint. The ride down was quiet.

"Urgh. Still seeing a few more stars than I should be," opened Corey. "I've never met anyone that strong. There wasn't even time for me to charge an attack before that weapon of his convinced me to take a brief nap."

May, too, was feeling defeated. "I don't know which is worse. That, or having my own just... not work."

Jem's words were sharp. "What do you mean they didn't work? I thought you go after the soul directly?"

"Have you ever tried to have sex with a toaster? Well, that's basically what just happened. It didn't work."

"Guys," Todd interrupted, "can we just save it? Let's turn in what we got, anyone who has a class can get to it, and we meet back up at Suite 222 in the Humanoid Dorms to chat later? You know, when we won't get interrupted?"

The group thankfully agreed. As they scattered, Todd walked back to his room escorted by May, and he found that he was reevaluating a lot of what he'd thought about this place. It seemed that getting into things recklessly was going to end worse than he thought.

12