Beethoven Virus Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lemay: "Several efforts to move the District Consolidation and Fair Representation Act, or DCFRA, through to the floor of both the State House and State Senate were stymied, as the bill could not get out of Committee. Democrats are blaming Republicans for the failure to move the bill across the finish line, but the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Club For Growth, who had come out in strong support of the DCFRA, are blaming Democrats for adding too many non-related Amendments to the bill, including an amendment to raise the age to buy a gun to 21 years of age and to place a $1-per-round tax on all firearms ammunition."

Lemay: "And with today being the last day of the session, it is too late for any more bills to move out of Committee and onto the floor for vote. So when the gavel is struck and the session is adjourned sine die, that'll be it for another year, barring the convening of a Special Session. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Carl!" Bettina said as she came back on screen. "That was trusted reporter Carl Lemay with that important story. And in local news, Channel Two News has learned that both our State's U.S. Senators, Bill Nunn and Lorraine McGill, will be at the University for a luncheon today. For more on this, let's go to reporter Pat Stellum. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the portly 'Al-Capone-ish' reporter in his fedora hat and giving trenchcoats a bad name as he stood across the street from the University Clock Tower that was the 'gateway' to the School. "Channel Two News has learned that Senators Nunn and McGill, as well as Governor Sharon Marshall, will meet with lame duck University President Sidney P. Wellman and several University Trustees."

Stellum: "While no specific plans have been announced, sources tell Channel Two News that they will tour University Hospital, which is recovering from a ransomware attack yesterday, and they'll have lunch at the University President's mansion with the University's Board of Trustees and prominent Staff and Faculty. Neither the University, the Office of the University President, the Office of the Governor, nor spokespersons for either U.S. Senator would confirm that they will be discussing Wellman's replacement as University President."

Bettina: "Pat, what time are the Senators expected to arrive here?"

Stellum: "Bettina, the luncheon is scheduled for 1:00pm. No one would confirm exactly when the Senators would arrive, nor if they would go directly to University Hospital or to the President's Office building, for security reasons. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Pat." Bettina said. "And finally, in what is being termed as one of the most important national security briefings to Congress since the Cold War, this Friday Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel will testify before a joint meeting of the House and Senate Homeland Security Committees. DNI Chapel is expected to give a wide-ranging assessment of the greatest threats facing our Nation today and into the future..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Brendan Chapel himself is the greatest threat to our Nation today." snarled Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Sheriff Griswold, Your Iron Crowbar, Chief Sean Moynahan, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, and Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross drank coffee and watched the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room.

"No, the Mainstream Media is the greatest threat to the Constitution, Free Enterprise, and Individual Freedom." I replied. "But it'll be an interesting hearing, for those of us that like that stuff. What I'm wondering about is why Bettina is emphasizing it."

Tanya said "I'm wondering why Bettina was working so hard to get the information about the U.S. Senators's arrival times, and where they'll be. It's as if she's hinting for those who don't like our Republican U.S. Senators to do something ugly to them."

"The U.S. Senators and the Feds really kept that secret of their arrr-iii-vinnng today." said Chief Moynahan. "We never heard a word about it... did we?"

"No sir." I said. Teresa also shook her head.

"The Sheriff's Department got a notice yesterday afternoon." said Sheriff Griswold. "Security is being taken care of at the State level, since they'll be on University property. All we've been asked to do is have a contingent of Deputies on hand in case something goes sideways, and they have to evacuate the Senators and the Governor."

Cindy Ross said "We've heightened our alert posture, though, and will be monitoring for potential trouble."

Teresa said "I'll let the SWAT Team know to be on standby, just in case. They'll find a way to get some good training out of it, even if there are no other threats." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"And not one word about the cyberattack on the Hospital being defeated?" Cindy Ross said. "Well... until Pat Stellum mentioned it briefly, in passing."

"And I'll bet Bettina was absolutely furious that he said even that." I replied.

"But why?" Cindy asked. "KFXU sure as hell is going to talk about it, and then Priya is going to follow up with a heavy hit piece on David Becerra Palmer of BigBenefitInsurance. She interviewed Beverly from the flower shop about him cutting off her insurance, and her hardship and ultimately her daughter Sarah's death because of it."

I saw Teresa's look downward at her coffee cup as she remembered that painful day Sarah died in front of us. (Author's note: 'Centuries', Ch. 01.) I quickly said "I have no idea why Bettina isn't saying anything about it."

"Okay," said Tanya, "the elephant in the room: the Council Meeting. And especially the Mayor asking the I.G. to hold off on doing the correct and obvious thing?"

"I've already talked to the Mayor about that." grumbled Griswold. "Let's just say that he and I don't see eye-to-eye on it."

I said "I don't agree with it, either, of course. But I understand what Daniel is trying to do. I talked to him several days ago about this, and he says if I just talk to the Council, in Executive Session if I want, then we'll cut Kelly Carnes off at the knees, since I'm on solid legal ground. And the Republicans will force through an ordinance confirming the contract."

I continued: "What I told him is that it is more important to force Kelly Carnes to admit she does not have the power to order me nor anyone else around. And she'll never admit it, so we need a strong I.G. rebuttal of her complaint to reinforce the notion that she is not all powerful. And Curly Goodwin wants to talk to me before doing the right thing and sandblasting Carnes over the issue..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:55am, Wednesday, March 31st. Mary Milton came to my office. "Sir," she said after I had her sit down, "the Hospital is 75% fully restored. They're admitting patients, re-scheduling surgeries, and the Pharmacy equipment is back to full operation."

"Good." I said. "You and Myron have done an amazing job. Get your formal uniforms ready; I foresee recognition for you on May 1st."

"Thank you, sir." said Mary. "I also wanted to tell you something that Cameron Wakefield found while he was dissecting the virus code. Guess what the eight-word passphrase was, that would've unlocked the files, but would not have completely eradicated the virus?"

I said "The last line of that video the bastard embedded?"

Mary's eyes were wide with shock. "Yes! 'May God damn you to Hell, Iron Crowbar!' was the passphrase, capitalizations and exclam included. How did you know?"

I said "It came to me over time. The bastard couldn't come in and put it in himself, so he would've triggered it through that video. So I ventured that guess, and now you're sitting there amazed."

Mary looked at me skeptically, and I just half-shrugged my shoulders. Then her eyes crinkled and she chuckled, and asked to be excused to her duties. I dismissed her, and she exited the office. And I knew she was realizing that I had indeed known what that passphrase was, from the minute I heard it on the video... but did not use it.

Yes.

Why? Because I knew Brandon Chapel would never fully release the systems from the virus. He wanted Teresa's Trust destroyed, and only by keeping that Sword of Damocles over our heads could he guarantee it wouldn't be reconstituted.

And I also knew the threat that Charrington was. The Mighty Miltons and the Wakefields would not and could not have worked so hard to defeat it if they knew I could unlock it with the passphrase. By not knowing, like the story of the man who solved a mathematical equation because he did not know it was deemed impossible to solve, they cracked it... and so removed one of the most insidious threats to the entire World.

I knew that if push came to shove, I could use the passphrase and unlock the files. But it would be terribly expensive to clean it up, probably more than the full amount of the money in Teresa's Trust. And we still wouldn't have that full solution.

Yes, it was a risk to let it play out. Tommy Hillman's life was on the line. But I knew that some very good and determined doctors were operating on him, and I trusted them to do their jobs, and successfully. And I trusted the Miltons and the Wakefields to do their jobs, and successfully.

Only one thing remained: neutralizing Brandon Chapel...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:02am. There was a knock on my door, followed by it opening and Teresa's head appearing. "They're here." she said. "Main Conference Room."

"Thanks." I said "And you're with me on this." I took my laptop with me, and Teresa and I went to the Main Conference Room. Inside, on the far side facing the door, were United States Senators Richard 'Bill' Nunn and Lorraine McGill. In the chair opposite Senator Nunn was Governor Sharon Marshall.

"Always good to see you, Governor." I said as I shook her hand. "Thank you for coming, Senator Nunn. And it's nice to see you again, Senator McGill. Everyone, this is Commander Teresa Croyle."

As Teresa shook their hands, Senator Nunn said "I don't believe I've met you. I still remember you rescuing that child from that warehouse that exploded. Truly amazing." (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Finale', Ch. 01-02.)

"Thank you, Senator." Teresa said politely.

I sat at the end of the table, and Teresa plugged my laptop into the dock in the middle of the table, then sat down to the Governor's right. "I want to thank you for coming, Senators, and for sneaking in here to hear my presentation. What I'm about to show you is circumstantial, and I can't prove it in Court... yet. But I need to show you, and maybe you can do something about it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Thursday, April 1st. All Fools Day. Inspector General James 'Curly' Goodwin gave a Press Conference at City Hall, flanked by Sheriff Griswold and Mayor Daniel Allgood.

Goodwin: "I have determined that the complaint by Councilwoman Kelly Carnes against Commander Donald Troy is without merit; indeed, it is specious and petty. First, Commander Troy's actions regarding the lawful contract with Commander Croyle were proper in every respect, and he did not need to consult with the Council beforehand. Therefore I find against Mrs. Carnes in her complaint."

Goodwin: "Second, I have found for the counter-complaint by Commander Troy. I agree with him that the complaint by Carnes was deliberately malicious, and with the intent to cause Commander Troy harm, both financially and in the court of public opinion. I strongly urge Commander Troy to sue Mrs. Carnes for her intentionally malicious actions."

"What about D.A. Walters's complaint?" yelled Amber Harris.

"I have not yet taken that up." said Goodwin. "I'll let you know when I do."

As Goodwin and the Mayor walked off the podium and down the hallway, Sheriff Griswold scanned the small crowd of mostly 'cub' reporters. Behind him, he saw District Attorney Miriam Walters standing there, staring at him with her beady black eyes. He stared back until Walters turned and walked away...

Part 12 - Security vs. Freedom

10:00am local time, Friday, April 2d. Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel entered the Committee room at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. wearing an expensive, well-fitting suit. His hair had been trimmed to a military 'high and tight', and his florid face sported a brush mustache. He looked like a man in control, and a man that had partied hard much of his life.

After being sworn in, the Chairman of the Joint Committee, a rabidly Leftist Democrat, said "We're very pleased to have Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel testify before this Joint Committee on threats to our Democracy and the American Government. DNI Chapel, please give your opening statement."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." said Brendan Chapel. "I appreciate you giving me a few minutes of your time to discuss some of the greatest threats to our Democracy in the present time as well as going forward into the future."

Chapel: "The greatest threat to our Democracy and our Government today is not from foreign nations nor foreign terrorists. The greatest threat comes from within. We face the insidious threat of domestic terrorists in the form of White Nationalists. White Nationalist subversives, such as the members of the Guardians of Justice Motorcycle Club, represent an extreme and violent threat to our Democracy."

Chapel: "Even worse are domestic terrorists that threaten School Boards with threats and violence over the school curriculum. Not only are teachers more qualified than parents to determine what should be taught in the Nation's schools, it is the job of the teachers and schools staffs to say what should be taught. It is not the prerogative of parents to make demands of the school boards, and follow up those demands with threats of violence. I applaud the work of Attorney General Derrick B. Harland forming an FBI task force to investigate and severely punish those subversive parents, most of whom are white."

Chapel: "But even more dangerous than that. and far, far more dangerous to our Democracy than any Muslim ever has been, is a particular subset of the White Nationalists, the White Christian Nationalists. These dangerous domestic terrorists spout the Christian religion as their justification for violently attacking pro-Abortion peaceful protesters, and for bombing abortion clinics."

Chapel: "Furthermore, more and more of these Christian Nationalists are running for political office, promising to make laws based on Christianity, in violation of the cherished Separation of Church and State, and promising to overturn the settled and good law of the Roe v. Wade decision. These subversives must be monitored and investigated much more thoroughly, and I urge the Congress to give Derrick B. Harland the tools he needs to crush these Christian Nationalists, who cling to their false religion and their guns."

Chapel: "And that segues to the next threat to our Democracy and the American Government: guns. There is no reason for normal American Citizens to own a military weapon such as assault rifles, which are weapons of war, not of home defense. The Second Amendment is not absolute, and never was intended to allow non-military persons access to weapons of war."

Chapel: "Therefore, I advocate that the sale and possession of assault rifles be outlawed. I further believe that in order to protect our children from White Nationalist school shooters, all assault weapons should be confiscated, and anyone who has one should be required to turn their assault rifles in to the Federal Government. Only the military and Federal Agents should be permitted to have weapons of war such as assault rifles."

Chapel: "And only the military and Federal Agents need high capacity magazines. I recommend magazines that hold three cartridges, and no more, with exceptions for the military and Federal Agents... and only Federal Agents, not local or State law enforcement entities."

Chapel: "Furthermore, another danger to our Democracy is the nine millimeter caliber bullet. The 9mm caliber and higher are military grade calibers that citizens do not need. A.22 caliber bullet will put a hole in someone's lung. A 9mm caliber bullet will blow the lung out of their back. Therefore, I am recommending that Congress outlaw the.355 caliber, which is the 9mm caliber, and larger. That will include.357 Magnum,.38 Special,.40 S&W, 10mm,.41 Magnum,.44 Special and.44 Magnum,.45 ACP, and.50 caliber cartridges."

Chapel: "I urge Congress to pass a Federal law that will supersede all State laws, outlawing the 'stand your ground' and 'castle' laws, and instead require homeowners to evade home invaders rather than murder them with military-grade-caliber handguns. I urge laws be passed that if a 9mm caliber or higher is used, even in self-defense, and the home invader dies, the home owner will be charged with murder in the first degree."

Chapel: "These common sense laws are badly needed to stop the gun violence on our streets and in our schools, but more importantly to protect our Democracy from the threats posed by the greatest threat to our Government and our Federal Agents: the White Nationalist subversives, and particularly the dangerous subset, the Christian Nationalists."

Chapel: "Those are the immediate threats, which Congress can act to mitigate now. But there are also threats to our future in the damage to our earth caused by Climate Change, and the treasonous, subversive speech and actions by 'Climate Deniers'."

Chapel: "The science is settled; climate change is real, and there is no other side. This is confirmed by 97% of scientists agreeing that climate change is real and is our greatest global threat. And as the DNI, I consider Climate Deniers to be a fundamental threat to our Democracy."

Chapel: "Climate Change denial is not free speech; it is dangerous, subversive, and seditious rhetoric. It is much more dangerous than yelling 'FIRE!" in a crowded theater. Those who deny that Climate Change is real and that the science is settled should be arrested and imprisoned for seditious and treasonous hate speech. This is no longer a debatable issue. The future of our Democracy and our children are at stake, and we must take clear, decisive action to ensure Climate Justice and combat the horrific damage done by climate change to the earth."

"Thank you for that enlightening and thought-provoking speech on the dangers facing our Democracy today." said the Chairman. "Let's begin the questioning...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Did I just hear that correctly?" Teresa asked as she, Cindy, Tanya, the Chief, the Sheriff, and myself watched in the Chief's Conference Room. Not much work was getting done; the Detectives were glued to the monitors in the MCD room, and Officers all over the place were finding televisions to watch.

"You sure did." I said.

Sheriff Griswold lamented: "It's hard to believe America has come to the state where such a speech by any Government official, much less the Director of National Intelligence, is even possible."

Cindy said "In Canada, they... we... don't have a Second Amendment. A Leftist Prime Minister can order all 9mm handguns confiscated, just like that."

"What do you say to that, Don?" Teresa asked, trying to start something.

"I'd say 'Thank God for that goddamned piece of paper', which is what George W. Bush called the Constitution." I replied. "But we'll discuss that later. For now I say: Let's watch some TV." I nudged my head at the television monitor...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The Chair recognizes Congressman Gowron." said the Chairman some minutes later.