Beethoven Virus Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He stopped when the rounded end of a red crowbar was pushed into his chest. "Watch your mouth, jerk," I said menacingly, "or any one of these Officers will hang you up there with that punk, just on account of your goddamned bad manners. You think you're a big shot, but you ain't shit to me. Ask Mitt Willis what I think of big shot CEOs like you."

Woolsey's eyes widened in both horror and anger at the mention of the revered Mitt Willis... revered by the Swamp Frogs, anyway. "Why you son of a------" he started.

"Ah ah ahhh." I said. "Be very careful, Woolsey... be verrry careful." And with that, I walked away and out of the building, Teresa beside me...

Part 14 - Epilogue: The Curbing of Totalitarian Power

Sunday, April 4th. Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel came into his spacious, luxurious office and sat down behind his large mahogany desk. He was furious with anger, and barely controlling it.

His gambit using Charrington to cripple University Hospital and steal the Teresa Croyle Foundation donation had failed, and now Charrington was exposed, defeated, and useless. And to his utter shock, his testimony before Congress was being pilloried not only by Fox Cable, but by the Mainstream Media networks, as well. He had expected full complicity, if not support, from them, but he was not getting it.

One of his staffers had followed him into the office. "I received a phone call from Attorney General Derrick B. Harland, sir." the staffer said. "He's not going to investigate nor file charges against Senator McGill. He said 'Charrington' is so off-books that it wasn't listed as a classification by the NSA nor the Military. He also has been told that it would be much better for everyone if public mention of 'Charrington' just goes away."

"Damn." swore Chapel angrily. "Well, we have to do something about that fucking bitch. She tore the lid off hell for us. And just how in the fuck did she get all that information?"

"From the Iron Crowbar!"

They turned to see that Dr. Robin Isley had come into the office. She said "Commander Troy got onto Charrington and Cerberus when Julie Matheson was murdered and Dwayne Matheson committed suicide in his home County. And I've gotten word that Troy called in some experts that knew enough about Matheson's code to be able to neutralize it and save the Hospital... and Croyle's inheritance."

Isley: "Commander Troy met with Senators McGill and Nunn earlier this week, and he laid out everything about the murder-suicide, the attempted theft of the Lost Greuze, and the Hospital ransom attack. And they used that information to attack you at the hearing yesterday."

Chapel said "I have given a name to my pain... and it is 'the Iron Crowbar'. He has become too much of a threat to me. We're going to have to take action against him------"

Robin Isley interrupted: "Brendan, I came in here to tell you that The Man wants to see you."

Chapel exhaled, then said "Okay, I'll call him in just a minute, when I finish talking with Ted, here------"

Robin Isley: "Brendan, you don't understand. The Man sent his car. It's waiting for you in the underground garage..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The armored limousine pulled up to the Country Club in northern Virginia, one of the most prestigious, and expensive, golf clubs in the world. Only Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia was more prestigious.

Brendan Chapel was escorted through the club and onto the back porch. He saw the more elderly man at one of the golf range stations, hitting golf balls with his nine-iron. "Ah, there you are, Brendan." he said, then ambled over to a table. "It's too bad you don't play golf. Otherwise, we'd be out there hitting them long and straight."

"I never was good at doing that, sir." said Chapel. "At least not on the golf course."

The man guffawed, then said "Have a seat. Care for some lemonade? Coffee?"

"No thank you, sir." said Chapel as he allowed the man to sit down, then sat down himself. "How can I help you, sir?"

"That testimony you gave yesterday was wonderful." said the man. "It outlined everything we want to do, especially regarding confiscating guns and packing the Supreme Court if we need to. And, of course, our Climate Justice agenda. And it was very well received by all of the activist groups, and especially our big donors, the Corporate Elites."

"Thank you, sir." said Chapel.

"And then... it all fell apart." said the man. "Those Fox Cable bastards have filled their weekend shows with McGill's exposure of Charrington. The Conservatives are hopping mad, like a disturbed hornet's nest. And we're getting word that too many important Senators and Congresspersons are going to open hearings about Charrington... and your role in it."

Chapel: "So we just get our Media allies to suppress that, and chant our own narratives, especially about McGill's treason. And we go after the Christian Nationalists, have the Media really chant what a threat they are------"

"Brendan," the man said seriously, "you're not reading the room. I must admit that I'm amazed that no one but the 'bitter clingers' are whining about our plans to confiscate assault rifles and outlaw the nine millimeter round. But everyone is going nuts over the Charrington project. I talked to Matthew Willis yesterday. He's ended Charrington, and they're burning every scrap of paper they had on it. When they're done, it will be like Charrington never existed."

"Sir," said Chapel, "I must respectfully suggest that that would be a huge mistake. We are close, so close, to implementing our agenda, and Charrington is a key component of that."

"It's already been discussed, and decided." the man said. "And the reason I brought you here was to tell you that your resignation has been submitted and will be reluctantly accepted. You can decide if it's for the old 'to spend more time with family', or to take a fellowship with one of our big-donor think tanks and get paid well, but you're out as DNI."

Chapel was totally stunned. "Just like that?" he asked, his voice shaky.

"Just like that." said the man. "You know as well as anybody that our Game is a cold, cruel game. Right now, you're on the outs. However, if you just lay low for a while, then slowly begin rebuilding your career... maybe a stint in Congress, then Cabinet posts... you'll be back before you know it."

"How long with that take?" Chapel said.

"You're still young, Chapel." said the man. "You've got time. Play your cards right, play the Game right, enjoy the climb back up the mountain... and in twelve to fifteen years you'll be running for President. And by then you'll have the full power you crave to implement your agenda. That will be a glorious day, though I doubt I'll live to see it."

The man got up, and Chapel did likewise. The man said "You'll make the announcement tomorrow. And don't worry, Brendan... this is a setback, not the end of your career."

"Yes, Mr. Vice President..."

Finis.