Believer Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 3 - The Healing Process

Tuesday, November 26th. Dr. Carla 'Bones' Keenan, the top Orthopedics doctor at University Hospital came into the exam room where Laura Fredricson was waiting. The x-rays, proddings and probings had been completed, including an exam by Dr. Joseph Ordinal, the nationally-renowned neurosurgeon that had just joined the University Hospital Staff.

"Okay," said Dr. Keenan as she sat down next to Laura, whose left arm was resting on the table, "I have very good news, some bad news, and some news that could go either way. The good news is that your shoulder appears to be healing very well, and you will have full range of motion with a minimum of rehab."

Dr. Keenan: "The good-or-bad news is that your forearm is healing up nicely, but it's not totally 'there' yet. And the relatively bad news are your wrist and elbow joints. They're healing, but they're very stiff right now. I want to re-cast your forearm, but that will immobilize your elbow and wrist for a longer time."

"And run the risk of them permanently losing some range of motion." Laura said.

"Yes." said Dr. Keenan. "And now for the bad part. Dr. Ordinal is very concerned about the nerves in your wrist regaining their proper function even if the bones heal perfectly. And that could be a huge impact on a full recovery."

Laura knew what that meant: if she didn't recover completely, she could no longer perform surgery. It would all but end her career as a physician. "So what do you recommend we do?" she asked.

"I really think you need more time in a cast." said Dr. Keenan. "We've got to let these bones heal up, and make sure you keep good blood flow. Otherwise, any talk about your nerves is moot."

"All right." said Laura, knowing Dr. Keenan was right. "At least the kids will have something to draw and color on."

Dr. Keenan smiled. "Actually, I was thinking of using the wraps rather than a full plaster cast. And those materials don't take so well to being drawn on..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had taken Laura to the Hospital, and while she was being examined I went to Officer Buchannan's wife's room. He was in there with her, and their baby was in the plastic baby bed next to hers. I also talked to the Buchannans' parents.

"I'm doing okay." said Mrs. Buchannan. "Thanks to your wife helping them in the OR."

"I'm glad she was there." I said. I then looked at the baby and said to him "Hey, here's my future Police Officer. How you doin', buddy?" The baby just stayed peacefully asleep; yep, he'd be a good Police Officer one day.

Officer Buchannan told me that they could take the baby home the next day, but his wife would have to stay longer, maybe through the weekend. I told him not to worry about it, to take all the time he needed to be with her. I also told him we'd arrange to take the grandparents back to their homes whenever they were ready.

"I can't thank you enough, Commander." Buchannan said. "For everything."

"Hey, we're Police." I said. "We are in it together..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went by Joanne Warner's room. Seth was with her, and she was holding her baby.

"Cute little guy." I said. "Big, too. What did you name him?"

"Karl Anthony Warner." Seth said. "After my mother Karla, and my stepdad Anthony."

"We're calling him 'Tony'." said Joanne brightly. Tony squirmed for a second, then settled down again.

I nodded. "So when do you get out of here and introduce Tony to Leo?"

"This afternoon." said Joanne. "And I plan on making it to the Policeman's Ball, Commander."

"That'll be awesome." I said. "But don't overdo, as my mother would say. So Seth, how's your work coming along?"

Seth said "I'm on autopilot. I've got three good people working on the charities, the books, the marketing, all of that. Frankly, I'm bored. I'd love to get back with BOW Enterprises and all the stuff they're working on."

I nodded as I had an insight. "You're pretty good with the books yourself, aren't you?"

Seth said "I'm okay with 'em."

"Modesty is a human trait, Commander." Joanne said most very brightly. "What my husband is not telling anyone is that he was taking classes with Commander Ross, and they got their Accounting degrees together. He then got his Business Finance graduate degree."

"Oh really?" I said. "No, Commander Ross did not mention that to me. Then again, she didn't mention she was taking classes herself until her degree was a done deal. So, Seth, if you're bored, maybe there's something else you might consider doing..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was using and abusing my powers as a Police Commander to go check the damaged wing of the Hospital. I did put on a hard hat, as required, and the construction project foreman showed me what they were doing to shore up the damaged sections, saying that it would be better than ever once they were done.

"So are they still investigating the incident?" I asked.

"I haven't seen anyone from any Federal Agency here for over a week." said the foreman. "And they started disappearing a week before that. I think they're done, and are pretty much letting us do our jobs rebuilding the wing."

"I'm not surprised." I said "So it's coming along well?"

"As well as something like this can be." said the foreman. "We've only had one unusual request. The CEO of BOW Enterprises talked to us about taking into consideration that they might build a main wing, parallel to the current one, and in front of it, and so we're adding in places where doors can be easily put in to go into that wing from the end of the hallway."

"Cool beans." I said. "The CEO of BOW Enterprises is a pretty forward-looking guy."

Just then, Laura texted me on her cellphone that she was ready, so I thanked the foreman and went back to the main part of the Hospital. As we were about to get on the elevator to leave, Dr. Leonard R. Cordell, the Hospital Administrator, came up to us."

"Don! Laura!" he called out. As we turned to him, he said "Glad I caught you before you left. Can you come to my office for a moment?"

We followed Dr. Cordell to his office and sat down at his bidding. He said "I just wanted to alert you to a possible issue. Someone went to the State Medical Board and complained that you, Laura, went into the O.R. and assisted in the Buchannan birth while you're still injured."

"So what?" Laura said scornfully. "I didn't do anything physical; I guided Dr. Chang and Dr. Yates through the procedures to save that baby's life, and then the mother's."

"I know." said Dr. Cordell. "And that's what Dr. Chang and Dr. Yates attested to, as well. I really don't think there's going to be anything to it. I'm just giving you the heads-up now, and coordinating our response."

"Who made the complaint?" I asked.

"We don't know yet." said Dr. Cordell. "The State Medical Board wouldn't say, at least not yet. They're treating it as a whistleblower case."

"Sounds like this is a lot further along than just someone snitching, Dr. Cordell." I said. "What else is going on?"

Dr. Cordell looked at me and said "Not much gets past you, Don." He then looked at Laura and said "There was also a complaint made to the SBI-OER that you violated the law by going in there, which I think is a crock. And a complaint was made to the University's Ethics Board, demanding that you be removed as a professor for unethical actions, those actions being endangering the lives of patients by going into the OR while injured."

"You have got to be kidding me." Laura said, her voice low and menacing. She looked over at me and said "Is this another attack like the last one?" (Author's note: 'Ethical Dilemmas'.)

"If memory serves me correctly," I replied, "the Citizens for Ethical Standards were behind getting your medical license suspended before, and using bribery to do it. And now they're the ones accusing Judge Watts of bribery. Hypocrisy? For sure. Coincidence? You make the call."

"And this has happened so fast." Laura said. "Which suggests someone was just looking for something like this to pounce upon." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Well, we're marshaling our forces to counter it." said Dr. Cordell.

"Dr. Cordell," I said, "changing the subject a little bit... I have an idea for you to consider. A name to be your successor as Hospital Administrator..."

Part 4 - Falsely Accused

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, November 27th, from a location that showed University Hospital and some of the Campus in the background... meaning Bettina was somewhere on the hillside below The Cabin. "Channel Two News has learned that Dr. Laura Fredricson has been referred to the State Medical Board, the SBI-OER's office, and the University's Ethics Board for violations of medical ethics as well as potential violations of State laws!"

Bettina: "Sources tell Channel Two News that Dr. Fredricson, who was injured in the terrorist bombing of University Hospital last month, participated in a surgery and delivery of a baby despite not having the use of one arm. The complaints allege that her inability to perform surgery put the patient and the baby in danger of death."

Bettina: "Medical experts say that the complaints have strong merit, and that a serious investigation of Dr. Fredricson's actions is needed. Hospital Administrator Leonard R. Cordell, who is slated to become Chief of the EMS Service in January, disagreed, saying that the complaints are without merit. University President Dr. Sidney P. Wellman's Office issued a statement saying only that the matter was being reviewed. Neither Dr. Fredricson nor her husband, Police Commander Donald Troy, responded to KXTC's multiple requests for comment."

Bettina: "And sources tell Channel Two News that Dr. Cordell has submitted the name of Seth Warner to the Hospital Board to replace him as Hospital Administrator. Mr. Warner was a founding member of the combined BOW Enterprises technology firm, and has been the Chairman of a trust that oversees the charities of his grandfather, the late Conrad King. The University Regents as well as the Hospital Board must approve the nomination..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow. Just wow." said Tanya Perlman as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"What exactly did Laura do?" asked Teresa Croyle.

I gave them the true and accurate story of how Laura had directed the other doctors in the process of saving a baby's life and then the mother's. "If she had not have been there," I finished, "we might be burying a Police Officer's child, and maybe his wife, too."

"Or he'd be a widower with a newborn child." said Teresa... whose own mother had died in childbirth with her.

"That is just... stunning." said Cindy.

"Crowbar," growled Sheriff Griswold, "who leaked that? To the State Medical Board, and the SBI? Who is the whistleblower?"

"I don't know yet, Sheriff." I said. "I'm working on it."

"Anything to worry about?" Cindy asked.

"I don't know." I said. "It's a pretty comprehensive attack. Whoever is behind it is going after Laura being on Staff at the Hospital -AND- her job with the University. And the group that complained about Judge Watts allegedly taking bribes, Citizens for Ethical Standards, was the group that bribed the State Medical Board to suspend her license the last time. Coincidences abound."

"Are these the same people behind that bozo that tried to kill her in her hospital room?" asked Tanya. (Author's note: 'Only Time', Ch. 02-03.)

"I don't think so." I said. "This has a different feel to it. But I don't have enough data yet to know what's truly going on."

"Changing the subject," said Cindy, "how did Seth Warner's name get into consideration for Hospital Administrator? He and his wife just had a baby, and he wants to take that on?"

"Keeps him at home in the Town & County full-time." I replied. "As to who nominated him... maybe it was the Police Deputy Chief, who failed to mention that Mr. Warner was taking accounting classes with her."

"Har!" barked the Sheriff. "She failed to mention that she was taking those classes."

"And since you know that, mon cousin," Cindy said to me, "I perceive that you are being the chess master, putting pieces in their places on your great Chessboard... as usual." Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement.

"I prefer to think of it as creating win-win solutions to various problems." I replied cooly.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone. I excused myself and went to my office to take the call.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went into my office and sat down, then got back on the phone. "Hi Britt." I said. "What's going on?"

SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell said "Hi Don. Here's what I know about that complaint about your wife. First, a lawyer named Josh Daschle filed the complaint on behalf of what he called a whistleblower, allowing him to not name the whistleblower, at least not yet. Josh Daschle has been admitted to the State Bar, but is not part of any law firm in the State, at least not that I can find. Have you ever heard of him?"

I said "Name sounds vaguely familiar. I think he did legal work for the Proactive Citizens of GreenWorld. So he didn't have to name the whistleblower at all?"

"Not yet." said Britt. "But at some point that whistleblower will have to give a sworn affidavit, and while we might not be able to give his... or her... name to the Public, I'll know who he is."

"Okay." I said. "So what are you planning to do about it?"

Britt said "I was going to close it and say there's no actual law that your wife violated. And then I got a call from University President Sidney Wellman, who I'm still on relatively good terms with from my Campus Police days. He said the University got a whistleblower complaint, and about the same alleged offenses."

"Did the whistleblower have to reveal himself, or herself, to the University Ethics Board?" I asked.

"I don't know." Britt said. "President Wellman didn't tell me. But as to the criminal complaint, he's thinking that if I investigate and find nothing, then that will be better for your wife than just dismissing it. What do you think?"

"I don't agree." I said. "Unless there is some law that has actually been violated, you should dismiss the complaint immediately. That will have a stronger effect in refuting what the Enemy is attempting to do, pointing out their very complaint has no basis in fact or law."

Britt replied: "Well, we were thinking of at least waiting until we've forced the whistleblower to reveal him- or her-self." When I said nothing for a long moment, Britt said "Hello? You still there?"

"I'm here." I said. "I just don't understand why you don't want to immediately end this charade. You're just giving the corrupt Media license to take cheap shots at my wife. Shut it down immediately, and they can't do that."

Britt said "Flip side of that is that if I can tell them we investigated and found nothing, it really takes their ammunition away."

I was becoming more than irritated at this. "Britt," I said, "I don't understand why you don't want to shut it down. What's going on, here? Do you want to investigate my wife?"

"Uh..." Britt stammered, then said "Uh, I was just putting out some ideas---"

"Do what you want." I said coldly, interrupting her. "Investigate her, or don't. It's your decision." I then made the point to immediately disconnect the call.

I phoned Mike G. Todd, who said "I was expecting you to call." before I could even say anything. "I saw that news report about your wife."

"I just got off the phone with the SBI Inspector, about the legal complaint." I said, then explained the details of my conversation with Britt. "So what's your advice on this?"

"We need to find out who that so-called whistleblower is." said Mike. "We need to see if it's a legitimate whistleblower complaint. If Laura didn't commit a crime, then I'd recommend naming the bastard publicly, and suing him for slander and defamation. And yes, I know that's assuming it's a man making the complaint. Anyway, ditto that for the University Ethics Board complaint. It's slander... it's intended to cause her material harm."

"Okay." I said. "Consider yourself hired. Start doing whatever you have to do. I'll get you the whistleblower's name as soon as I find out myself."

"Which shouldn't take to long, with you on the case." Mike replied.

"Heh. We'll see." I said.

I hung up and called Laura, and told her what was going on. She said "Oh, Maxwell won't just drop it? Figures. That bitch has had it in for me for a long time." (Author's note: 'A Case of Revenge', Ch. 03.)

"I dunno, she's been helpful at times." I said. "Anyway, get ready for the Press barrage."

I made one more phone call, to Eddy the Bounty Hunter. "Whatever it takes, Eddy." I said. "Find out that bastard's name. Whatever it takes..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Fox Eight News broadcast did not mention the accusations against Laura, which surprised my Angels as we watched in my office. "Not even a mention?" said Cindy.

I said "I've noticed that Fox Cable and many of their local affiliates might not report on something that I read about online or heard on the Enemy networks. I suspect that's because they try to verify things before putting specious rumors out there."

"Or they know something KXTC doesn't." replied Tanya Perlman.

"Then they know something I don't know." I said.

"Any idea who made the complaints?" asked Teresa.

"The only lead I have so far," I said, "is that the lawyer who filed the SBI-OER complaint on behalf of the so-called whistleblower is named Josh Daschle, who did legal work for the PCGW, the far-Leftwing environmentalist wacko group. But I'm not theorizing without data and assuming this is a political thing, at least not yet."

"Well, it's either politics or its personal." Cindy said.

"Personal to Laura, or to me?" I asked in reply.

"It could be both." Cindy said. "But my first inclination is that it's you. They're attacking you through Laura. Why, I don't know."

Tanya said: "And is there a connection between the allegations against Laura and the allegations against Judge Watts?"

Teresa said "Since we're theorizing without data, my wild-ass theory is they may be attacking Laura because she's married to a Police Officer. Not so much specifically you, Don, but you as a Police Officer. That connects fairly well with the attack on Judge Watts... he's a pro-Police, law-and-order Judge, as opposed to an activist, Police-hating Judge like Nance."

I said "And it could just be someone who has a grudge against Laura personally. But like you said, Teresa, we are theorizing without data. So... are your Officers ready to be re-inspected, Commander Croyle?"

"Yes sir." said Teresa...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am, Wednesday, November 27th. I.T. Lieutenant Myron Milton had called to make an appointment, and I told him to come on up to my office. When he did, and was seated in a 'hot chair', I asked him about his daughter Louise and received a glowing report... that only a father could give. Then we got to business. I turned on the bug-killer, just in case.

"Sir," Myron said, "I quietly reached out to my father about that situation with your wife. He looked into it as only he can do, and he found out who made the complaint to the University Ethics Committee. The accuser tried to hide behind 'whistleblower' status and used proxies to file the complaint, but ultimately he had to sign a document with his own name or it would've been rejected."

I said "Make the long story short. Who is it?"

Myron said "Dr. Lionel Carmela, head of the Political Science Department at the University."