Believer Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As we walked out of the facility, Britt Maxwell said "Don, I'm sorry about the blowup the other day. I hope you're going to keep working with me on things."

"I apologize for my part of it, too." I replied. I pointed my thumb back at the prison and said "What do you think of all that?"

"I don't know." said Britt. "And to be candidly honest, I don't really care. I only came down because the Governor asked me to, and the Lieutenant Governor all but physically dragged me onto her airplane."

"Well, it's instructive for Agent Johnson to see." I said. "Isn't that right, Mr. Johnson?"

"If you say so, sir, then it must be." Terence Johnson most astutely said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Once we got back to our plane in Rocktown, boarded it, and were flying home, we discussed the case.

"I tried to use your methods, Don." said Karina White. "But I'm not seeing whatever it is you're seeing."

"All I'm seeing is that we don't have enough data without the autopsy, and particularly the time of death." I replied. "And why we didn't have that already, I don't know. Sure makes me appreciate Martha at home."

"Amen to that." Cindy said, almost absentmindedly. I noticed she was staring out the window more than anything else. Then she turned to Karina and said "But don't be fooled. I could tell by the questions Don was asking, and the way he was asking them, that he has something in his head about this."

"Well then!" Jack said, leaning back in his chair. "I'm looking forward to hearing it."

"So am I." I said, which made Cindy roll her eyes. Karina chuckled, and Jack just stared at me, waiting patiently; he was used to me.

"Okay, I'll just say this." I said. "I'm glad someone went through the time and effort to make that as complex as they could. I told the Warden that the key is the motive, the 'why' of it all. Right now, the 'how' is easy enough. It's the 'why' I'm truly interested in."

"So tell us the 'how'." said Karina.

"Well," I said, settling into my chair, "the easy thing to do would just be to put out a prison hit on Betty, and have someone stick a shiv in her throat or her kidney. Someone with enough resources could arrange for a killer to be transferred in from Women's Prison at Madison County, kill Betty, then be sent back to Madison County."

"But instead," I said, "they got cute. Went through a lot of steps. It was a complex plan, full of moving parts."

"Tell us the moving parts." said Cindy.

"Well," I said, "I'm remembering the Aurus and Tolson escapes. IDs were forged and entry to those maximum security facilities were made. The database of retinal scans was compromised, as well. And whoever is good enough to do that, is good enough to substitute some blank footage for footage that would have shown people walking down that cellblock hallway. So I'm thinking some guards came in that were either faking the IDs of regular guards, or those guards had been embedded a while back."

Jack Muscone said "That sounds reasonable. But I think Martin's question was a good one: how did they conceal Betty's body?"

"That's why I think someone went in earlier and killed her." I said. "They might've put her body under the bed, where that towel hanging on the end of the bed hid it from sight. The alternative is a little crazier, but very plausible: her body was taken somewhere, maybe to an empty cell, and hidden there. The empty cells are at the far end, no one is walking by them, and no one looks in because no one expects to see anything."

"Carrying her body past all those cells?" Karina asked. "That's a risk."

"It sure is," I said, "which is why I think Betty may have been drugged, and walked down to the other end. And it's possible that, at that time, the killers were dressed as prisoners."

"Oh." said Muscone. "That would explain some things."

"Yes." I said. "Masquerading as 'new' prisoners, guard uniforms hidden in their cells, if only for a few hours. Early that morning they go to Betty's cell, drug her, walk her back to their cell at the far end of the block. Betty is strangled in the other cell, hidden away, and then those same people dressed as guards go and get her body after the other women are taken out to exercise, bring it back to her cell, tie the sheet around her neck, and then they 'find' the body during the contraband search. I did notice two guards leaving as others were coming in and gathering around."

"Like you said," said Muscone, "it's complex. Risky, too."

"And it doesn't explain the 'why', the motive." I said. "And that's the real key, and what I really want to know. So what did you guys notice? Anything slap you upside the head and call you 'mama'?" Karina began laughing and couldn't stop for a moment.

"One big thing." said Muscone. "The level of interest in this. The top SBI people are there, including you Don, though by my invitation. But Maxwell was sent by the Governor and Lieutenant Governor. What's their interest in this? Of course we're down here because Owen Lange wanted us down here, so why are Grimes and Nash also here? I didn't really understand that, and their explanation was lousy."

"Karina?" I asked.

Karina said "I thought the Warden was pretty well informed about things, and seemed to be very interested in what was going on. Not that that's a bad things, but it piqued my curiosity."

"Sure." I said. "Of course, his ass is the one highest up the flagpole and is going to get hit the most by the crap spewing out. He wants this tamped down, and quickly."

Karina said "And of course the obvious thing: the method by which Betty was killed. Like you said, the logical thing to do would be to just slit her throat, let everyone run around in circles blaming the other inmates. Why such an obviously fake suicide?"

Cindy said "Only thing I can think of is that if anything went sideways, this gave the perps some time to escape, whereas an obvious stabbing or strangulation gets the prison immediately locked down and the perps trapped inside."

"I'll buy that for a dollar." I said. "So what did you notice, Cindy?"

"You go first." Cindy replied. "And then I'll say what I've been thinking all day long."

"Fair enough." I said. "The one thing that really got my attention was that the Lieutenant kept calling Betty by her first name, while everyone else called her 'Morelli', or 'the prisoner'. That suggests to me that either he knew her, or got to know her... or that he knows both her and her husband, and was used to using their first names to differentiate them, like I call Myron and Mary Milton by their first names to differentiate them."

"And if that's the case," I continued, "it infers that he's connected to Jerry Morelli, possibly once a part of the Morelli Association, and he could've had her wiped out for some reason related to that. But I don't insist upon that. I don't know why Jerry would want Betty killed now, after all this time."

Karina said: "They kept talking about giving her parole, or moving her to an easier prison. Maybe she's cut a deal with someone?"

"Her chance to do that was long past." said Cindy, who remembered the 'Film Noir' case as well as I did.

"So what say you, Green Crowbar?" I asked.

"The one thing I found interesting," said Cindy, "was Martin Nash. He was as 'gung ho', as fired up as I've ever seen him about a case. He was really pushing with the questions like nobody else was. He really wants to solve it, whereas the Warden just wants to find a way to clean up the mess and keep his reputation intact, and nobody else there really cared all that much. But more than that, I got a vibe from Nash about it."

"What's that?" I asked, as Jack peered at her.

"That he thinks you had something to do with it, Don, and he really wants to bust you for it." Cindy said, dead serious. "Or maybe it would be more accurate to say... that he hopes you had something to do with it, so he can take you down. As you pointed out, Jack... why was Nash and his boss even there at all? And my only conclusion is... that Martin Nash has gone over to the Swamp Frogs."

"Maybe not that far." said Muscone. "But yeah... since he did that end run around me over the McGinty's Materials thing, he hasn't been the guy we used to know, and trust..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We got back home just before 7:30pm. It was already dark. I invited Jack and Karina and Cindy to my office, but Cindy said she had to go home. She went to her office, got her things, and quickly left. Muscone and White came into my office and sat down in my hot chairs. They declined my offer of shots of bourbon.

Karina said "I don't know Martin Nash that well, so I don't know if Cindy is right about him. But from what I know, he was always a good FBI Agent."

Muscone said "I worked with that man for a long time. He was always a straight-up guy, if a bit uptight at times. Never used his uncle's position as a crutch, though others were wary of him because of it. And then he did that end run around Jefferson and me over McGinty's Materials, and things went downhill fast. And with his uncle retired, he had no place to go. He was lucky to get that position in the OPR branch."

I nodded. "Karina, what you may not know is that Nash was hired here and working as a TCPD Detective. It was undercover, and he was brought in by then-Chief Griswold to watch over me, but they didn't know that I knew it all along. When it was time for him to go back to the FBI, we created the cover story that he was hired away from us by the FBI. And what you heard from Cindy tonight... is growing distrust of someone who we once considered was one of us."

Just then, my personal iPhone chimed. "It's a text from Laura." I said as I read it. My instructions from my (real) boss were to go visit Sheriff Griswold before going home.

Part 17 - Fireside Chat

Arriving at Sheriff Griswold's home, I had already seen the bright orange glow, so I knew to go around to the back yard. Sure enough, the Sheriff had a good fire going in his fire pot, and was roasting pieces of trout on a stick over it. Oil or fat would drip into the fire, making it hiss and adding an aroma to the air that was making me hungry.

"Ah, there you are." said the Sheriff. "Pour yourself a healthy shot of that bourbon, Crowbar." I did so, then sat down in the chair to his right. I politely refused his offer of some trout, though it smelled really good.

"So you went to Sunnydale?" Griswold asked.

"Yes sir." I said. I told him what had happened down there, then told him about all the FBI and SBI people that were there.

"Them going down there does not interest me." said the Sheriff.

"Then who?--- oh. Cindy." I said. "You're surprised she wanted to go?"

"Not at all." said Griswold.

"And that was the curious incident." I replied, beginning to catch on as I used the phrase from Conan Doyle's legendary story 'Silver Blaze'.

"Exactly." growled Griswold. "Did you talk to the Chief?"

"Yes sir." I said. "He said y'all worked things out."

"Yeah." said the Sheriff. "It would be more accurate to say we put into words some things we already knew were true. In the end, he accepted where things stood in the Police Department while I'm Sheriff. He's a good soldier, and he has your back."

"Yes sir, I believe that, too." I said.

"I also had a conversation with Ms. Ross the other night." said Griswold. "And things are nowhere near as resolved, there. Did you two get the chance to talk about it on your trip to Sunnydale?"

"No sir." I said. "I was surprised when she asked to go with us, but I had no problem with it. I thought maybe she would talk, or that she'd put the issue behind her. But with 20/20 hindsight, I can see that's not the case."

"And what you said, about either she has to go or you will?" asked the Sheriff. "Did you mean that?"

I paused a moment, then said "Sheriff... Cindy is my blood kin, and I love her as much as I love anyone. But I just can't have her openly opposing me on these really big issues. This thing with the DOJ, my war with the Press, that time with BTW High Coach Grimes..." (Author's note: 'In Black and White'.)

"And 'Clinton County'?" asked the Sheriff, peering at me.

"No sir, not that." I said. "She was just doing what Police Officers should do: investigating a potential crime. Should she have called for backup? Sure, but I never held any of that against her. But the Press thing... which I thought she'd received an adequate demonstration about... and now this DOJ thing, which is really, really dangerous for the TCPD... I just cannot have her on the other side, firing back at me."

Griswold said "That's what I told her, and what the Chief told her, too. I told her she has to choose her spots and her battles, like you do against the Swamp Frogs, and the US DOJ is not the spot to pick."

After a long, silent pause, the Sheriff finally said "Okay, then. Do me one favor, and don't crush Cindy. If there are more issues, bring them to your ol' Klingon advisor."

"Yes sir..."

Part 18 - Giving One's All

"Last things last
By the grace of the fire and the flames
You're the face of the future
the blood in my veins, oh-ooh
The blood in my veins, oh-ooh"
--- Imagine Dragons, 'Believer'

Dawn, Saturday, December 14th. I came down to the main floor of The Cabin and went into the kitchen and made coffee. Once that was done, I poured myself a cup, added the 'pollutants' I liked, and went into the greatroom. Two outstanding dogs were waiting at the back door.

"Ready to go out?" I asked them as I opened the door. They practically flew out the door and around the side of the house. As I went out and sat down in the metal mesh loveseat, I heard the door open. A second later, Carole came up, wearing her blue jeans and red No. 10 jersey. She was not wearing a coat, but had a blanket with her.

"Can I sit with you, Daddy?" Carole asked. I nodded and opened my trenchcoat so that she could sit next to me and be wrapped in it. She clambered onto the seat and wrapped up in the blanket as well as the trenchcoat.

"How are you doing, Sweetpea?" I asked. "Sleep well?"

"Yes Daddy." Carole said. "And I dreamed that Jamaal is going to win the Heisman again."

"Oh really?" I asked.

Carole said "Marie wants Ap-pul-treee to win it, and I want Jamaal to win it."

I said "I guess you better bet on it, then. But a friendly bet, of course."

"We already did." said my six-year-old daughter. "The loser has to pick up the winner's toys the next time Mommy tells us to clean up."

"Sounds like a fair bet." I said. "How's school?"

"Good." said Carole. "Ms. Billings lets me and Sidney do third grade English and Math while everyone else is doing second grade stuff. Sometimes it's hard, but Sidney helps me if I have trouble. I told Ms. Billings that Tyson should be with me and Sidney, but she's making him stay with the others."

Sidney was the nerdy kid with thick glasses that would likely be the next Bill Gates and be a billionaire. Tyson was black and very smart, too. (Author's note: 'Four Square', Ch. 01.) I wondered why he was being held back... and feared that I knew the answer.

"Well, that's good that you're doing advanced stuff." I said. "But if it gets too hard, there's no shame in coming back down to the level you're supposed to be at."

"Don't worry, Daddy." Carole said. "It's not too hard. I won't let you down." Uh oh, I thought to myself, but before I could reply, two outstanding dogs came back around and onto the deck. "Time to go in, Daddy." Carole said, scrambling down from her perch and taking the dogs back inside. I looked over my Town & County in the growing light, then moseyed back inside at a more leisurely pace...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had invited Jerome Davis and his father to watch the Army-Navy game, but he said he and Inga were going down to Valley Villages and watch with all the old veterans. Chief Moynahan, Chief Molly Evans, Sheriff Griswold, and Paulina Patterson were attending the Fireman's Ball. I'd gotten out of that by using Laura's injury as an excuse, but Cindy and Callie were going.

Later tonight, Edward and Stephanie Steele would come over, Teresa and Todd would be bringing their boys, and Melina Allgood would be bringing little Dan and Patricia, all of them joining us for dinner, with a birthday cake for Patricia.

Jim was wearing an Army jersey that Laura had obtained for him. Ross was wearing a Toronto Blue Jays jersey that his mother had bought him (Oh, Can-a-da!). Ian was wearing his No. 93 Bulldogs jersey that his Aunt Cindy had given him. But watching the ball game did not seem to interest them, and Lego City was being expanded while we adults watched television.

I am sorry to say that the big rivalry game was a disaster for the Black Knights of Army, as Navy had that offense that combined the wishbone with RPO (run-pass-option) action, and proved to be unstoppable. Navy went on to win 38-10, and Ross gave Jim a hard time about it.

I got a text from Jerome, showing all the old veterans, some happy, some not so much, then another one from the happy Navy veterans, including Jonathan Davis, with the caption: 'the Navy guys said to say hello to the Iron Crowbar!'. Throwing shade at the ol' Police Commander, they were. I texted back my congratulations to the Navy guys.

Chief Moynahan texted as well: "Well. That was very... disappointing."

"At least it was a solid loss, and not a fluke play at the end." I said. Little did I know...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I heard Jim tell Marie: "You should bet Carole that if Appletree wins the Heisman, she has to eat a whole plate of stringbeans!"

"Why don't you make that bet with her?" retorted Marie.

"I tried." Jim admitted. "She wouldn't do it."

"Get outta my face with that stringbean talk!" Carole 'warned' Jim.

"Carole!" exclaimed Laura, overhearing. "That was very unladylike language!"

"Yes ma'am." said Carole, making her voice sound more apologetic than she actually felt.

"Carole," I said, "what will Jim have to eat if Jamaal wins the Heisman?"

"Black-eyed peas." Carole said simply. Jim scowled mightily, and I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't like black-eyed peas, or because his sister knew that he didn't.

"So do we have a bet?" I asked.

"No way!" Jim said. "I ain't eatin' no black-eyed peas."

"Well, Jim," I said, "you know what we Police Officers say." Then I sang "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time... oh no, don't do it."

"And you say 'yes sir' and 'no sir' when you speak to your father. You understand?" Laura said, admonishing Jim...

"Yes, ma'am." Jim wisely said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At dinner, I was sitting next to Stephanie Steele. I quietly asked "Have you had any problems with Carmela, lately?"

"As a matter of fact," Stephanie said, also speaking in hushed tones, "since I went on the air defending Laura, I've had some students gather to yell at me as I drive up to the Physics Building. Dr. Stoddard called the Campus Police about it, and they started posting a car at the parking lot entrance, so the students dispersed and pretty much stopped bothering me after a few days. But I was told that Carmela was behind it."

Stephanie went on: "They also protested outside Dr. Woodrow's building, holding up some signs, and Dr. Chase's building at the Law School. But they haven't done anything to Professor Marvin Milton. I heard a rumor that they are scared to mess with him because it will bring the Iron Crowbar down on them like a ton of bricks."

I said "Maybe I need to put out that messing with you will get the same reaction. And seriously, if you have any more trouble at all, call me directly; do not pass 'GO', do not collect $200. I don't know what Carmela's problem is, but I want to nip his crap in the bud. And I'll snap his head back so hard he'll be sold as a bobblehead doll if he steps out of line."