Believer Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sure he's just trying to intimidate me and the others for openly supporting Laura." Stephanie said. "Any idea why he went after her so hard?"

"No." I said. "Which is why I'm saying to you to be very careful. I've told Professor Milton to keep his eyes peeled, as well."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The big moment was arriving. Carole was wearing her No. 10 jersey, and Marie her No. 36 jersey. Ian was also going to watch the Heisman because word was spread (via a text from Theo) that Derrick Waters would attend as Clarence Appletree's guest. Bowser was keeping Carole and Marie separated, and Buddy was sitting with Ian, both dogs getting lots of skritchins.

I'll be blunt: the nearly hour-long show prior to the Heisman announcement was mind-numbingly boring. I ended up talking to Todd and Teresa in the kitchen.

"How did the Tigers get the Sugar Bowl instead of us?" Todd was asking. "Georgia is going to wipe the floor with them. At least we'd have given those other Bulldogs a game!"

"At least you got the Cotton Bowl against Texas A&M." Teresa lamented. "Auburn got the Gator Bowl, against Northwestern. Big whoop."

We were called into the front room by Carole. "They're going to tell us who won after this commercial break." she said, imitating what the announcer had said as they went into the... wait for it... commercial break.

We watched and turned up the volume as the announcer came to the podium, with the Heisman Trophy in front of her and many previous winners behind her. The camera went to Jamaal Washington, Clarence Appletree, the Alabama QB, then back to the podium as she announced: "And the Heisman Trophy for this year goes to..."

To be continued.

Just kidding. The announcement was made: "And the Heisman Trophy for this year goes to... Clarence Appletree!"

Marie squealed with delight and Carole applauded politely. Most of us also applauded as Clarence got up, hugged Jamaal Washington, then the other player, then his grandparents that had raised him. He hugged his coaches, then went over and made a point to hug Derrick 'Train No. 93' Waters, who'd come up from the third row to congratulate him. Appletree then came up to the podium, and Jamaal Washington, who'd won the year before, was guided around to join the other Heisman winners on the stage.

Appletree was fighting to not get emotional as he began his speech. "I want to thank my grandparents, for raising me and not giving up on me when times for me could have been bad. I want to thank my coaches at (Wildcat School) and my high school coaches, that kept me set straight."

"I want to thank my Offensive Line," said Appletree. "The Great Wall of Wildcats. This really is their award. I want to thank Jamaal Washington, a great football player, a great teammate, and an even greater man." The camera showed Jamaal at the end of the line of past recipients, grinning that Washington family grin, looking as GQ as Theo always did.

"I want to thank my friend Derrick Waters for being here today." Appletree said. There was applause as the camera showed Train No. 93 in his light blue suit with University Blue tie. "As you know, he was tackling me last year, and I knew something was wrong when we landed. And when we were laying there, and he wasn't moving, I was praying hard to the Lord that it wasn't bad. But it was."

"And as I was laying there while the doctors were attending to him," said Appletree, getting emotional now, "I was realizing... that all of this could go away in one second, just like that. I knew that any play, any moment, could be the last. And I knew that from then on, I had to truly give 100%, not only on every play, but in everything I do in Life."

Tears were running down Appletree's cheeks as he said "All these great players behind me... they gave 100% in football and in Life. Jamaal Washington always gives 100% in everything he does, in his football, in his preparation, his schoolwork, and in his charity work. Derrick Waters never stopped giving 100%, and he's walking again, and he's going to have a good life, because he never gave up." Applause.

"So that's my message to all of you, and what this award means to me." said Appletree. "Give 100%, no matter what you do. Treat every moment as if it's your last, and make the most of it. Never give up, always keep going. Thank you, and God bless you." As the room filled with applause, Appletree met Jamaal halfway for a hug. He made Jamaal come over and pose with him behind the Heisman, then they had him (Clarence) holding up that 25 pound hunk of metal...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, Jamaal didn't win." said Todd, perhaps trying to stir up trouble.

"But a Wildcat did." said Melina perhaps a bit wickedly. "Twice in a row, too."

"Well," I said, "Jamaal's part of the family like Theo and Franklin are, but it's hard to beat 2200 yards rushing."

"Hey Carole!" Todd said with his handsome grin, "you lost the bet." Teresa gave her husband a backhand slap to his chest for his mischievousness.

"That's o-kay." Carole said diplomatically. "Congratulations, Murrree!" She and Marie exchanged a big handshake. Then Carole said "It's time for cake now!"

Moving right along...

Part 19 - Visiting Hours

Sunday, December 15th. Amber Harris was brought to the visitors section of Midvale Minimum Security Prison. She saw Bettina Wurtzburg in one of the seats on the other side of the glass partition. She waddled over to that seat's counterpart on her side of the glass, her pregnant belly now huge and distended, and sat down. They picked up the phones to talk to each other.

Bettina asked "How's the baby coming along?"

"Good." said Amber. "It could come any time, but probably in early January."

Bettina said "Good. And we're working on you walking out of there with your baby in your arms."

"Thanks." said Amber. "So what's going on out there in the outside world? I heard Troy solved another big case." She was referring to the 'Homewrecker' case, that had made the news.

"But he hasn't solved the murder of the guy that murdered that woman." Bettina said. "And he got into it with Holder again over race issues. But that's not why I'm here. Did you hear about Betty Morelli?"

"No." said Amber. "What happened?"

"She was found dead in her cell at Sunnydale." Bettina said.

"What?!" Amber exclaimed. "Betty? Dead?"

"Yes." Bettina said solemnly. "It was made to look like a suicide, but it's being treated as suspicious."

"Oh, geez!" Amber said. "That could really fuck up our plans. We needed her alive, just in case!"

"I know." said Bettina. "But there's a silver lining to the cloud. This has given the FBI an excuse to interview Jerry Morelli and his henchmen in Federal prison, and I heard they had some interesting things to say. So let not your heart be troubled. We are still on course..."

Part 20 - Fool Me Once...

Monday, December 16th. I came in early as usual, around 6:00am or so. Somewhat to my surprise, most of the MCD Detectives were at their desks, including Theo Washington. I was going to go in and ask him about his trip to New York when I saw that the door to my office's anteroom was open and the light was on. Going down the hall, I saw that Helena was at her desk already.

"I think I saw this movie last year." I said to her, and she just grinned. "Fool me once..." I opened the door to my office and there it was...

A Heisman Trophy was sitting on my desk.

"Whoop, there it is!" I said out loud, then went on around behind my desk. As I did, Jamaal Washington and Clarence Appletree came in, wearing suits and (Wildcat red) ties and looking sharp as ever, followed by Theo and Franklin Washington, with Paulina and Julia Rodriguez behind them.

"Congratulations, Clarence." I said as I shook Appletree's hand. I shook Jamaal's hand also. "Is this yours or the School's?" I meant which trophy, as the player and his School each get a Heisman. The year before, Jamaal had brought the School's copy here. (Author's note: 'Home For The Holidays', Ch. 04.)

"This one's mine." said Appletree. "I'm taking it to the Hospital, so the Cancer Kids can see it. They kept writing me letters after we visited last year, so it's only right to visit them now."

"Outstanding." I said. Then I noticed that Laura had come up the hallway, with two future Wildcats wearing their jerseys. "And here's your No. 1 fan, Clarence. Hey Marie, come meet Clarence!"

"Wow!" Marie said as she came up behind Carole. "Con-grat-u-lashuns!" she said as she hugged Appletree's legs.

"She's tackling him better than most defenses could." Jamaal said with a grin. "Ooof... and I'm getting tackled, too. Hi Carole!"

"Hi Jamaal!" said Carole. "Congrat-u-lations, Clarence!" She hugged Clarence, too.

"Let's get some photos." I said. Photos were taken, of Marie and Carole sitting on my desk with the Trophy between them, and Jamaal and Clarence behind them. Then one with me standing between Jamaal and Clarence, with Marie and Carole on the desk.

Then Jamaal got the 'I Beat Slenderman' trophy. "Yeah, I heard that story." said Appletree. "And we still got that red crowbar over our locker room door."

"Yeah we do." said Jamaal as photos were taken. Then we put Slender Man back in his place, and Franklin and Theo took photos with Clarence, then Clarence and Jamaal.

The party moved to MCD, which soon was full of Officers as the word spread. Laura took Carole and Marie to school, and I sent iPhone photos to Ms. Billings, to share with the whole class.

As they shared stories, Clarence Appletree and Jamaal Washington discussed the other Heisman winners that were at the ceremony. Clarence said "I think I was most impressed with Herschel Walker. He grew up in a house with a dirt floor in rural Georgia, and went on to win the Heisman and then go to the pros. And he was an Olympic bobsledder."

Jamaal took it up: "And he went back and got his degree at the University of Georgia... in Criminal Justice."

"Criminal Justice? That's what I'm talking about!" said Theo Washington happily. Guess what Theo majored in? And Jamaal, too...

"Isn't Herschel a mixed martial arts guy, too?" asked Cindy.

"Yes ma'am." said Appletree. "And a fifth-degree black belt in tae kwon do."

"That's what I'm talking about!" said Cindy, herself a black belt in two disciplines. She and Theo high-fived.

"Commander Troy," said Julia Rodriguez, "aren't you a black belt in Aikido?"

"Technically." I said. "I've achieved the 'dan' rank, and black belts are normally worn by people who have done so. But unlike multi-colored belts in some disciplines, Aikido generally just has white and black belts."

"Better get crackin', Clarence." Cindy said. "The Heisman is just the start."

"Yes ma'am, it is." said Clarence. "And next is the charity work, starting at the Hospital today."

"That's what I'm talking about!" said Teresa. She and Clarence high-fived.

It was all fun and everyone was happy. And then you-know-who came onto the airwaves...

Part 21 - Epilogue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, December 16th, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with the Courthouse complex in the distant background. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police Department has failed a civil rights audit by the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division!"

Bettina smiled brightly as she began: "The USDOJ reported their findings regarding their audit last week of the TCPD's practices, their hiring, promotions, and assignments with regard to Federal civil rights requirements. The report stated that the TCPD was in flagrant violation of the requirements, and that their discrimination against minorities and women, and especially black women, is systematic, chronic, and one of the most appalling examples of discrimination that the USDOJ has ever come across!"

Bettina: "And this comes at the same time that the US DOJ is suing Mayor Daniel Allgood for abusing his Office and discriminating against People of Color. It is not clear what actions the US DOJ will take against the TCPD, nor if they will demand that Commander Donald Troy be fired as part of any Consent Decree."

More Bettina: "And Police Commander Donald Troy snubbed the Town & County Fire Department by not attending the Fireman's Ball this weekend. His lame excuse was his wife's injuries, even though she attended the Policeman's Ball with her husband last week. That very offensive action was not well received by the Fire Department."

More Bettina: "The University's Board of Regents, as well as the University Hospital Board, voted narrowly to approve Seth Warner as the new Hospital Administrator. Mr. Warner, who has graduate degrees in Accounting and Business Finance, has been running the charities of his late grandfather Conrad King after Mr. King's death several years ago. Before that, Mr. Warner was a founding member of the BOW Enterprises technology conglomerate."

More Bettina: "And Channel Two News has learned that the FBI and SBI are investigating the death of Betty Morelli at Sunnydale Prison. Mrs. Morelli, wife of Mobster Jerry Morelli, was transported to a Grand Jury hearing by Commander Donald Troy, only to take the Fifth when put on the stand. She and her husband were arrested by the FBI a short time later. The cause of her death was ruled a suicide, but the details have not been released pending the conclusion of the investigation."

Yet more Bettina: "And the group 'Citizens for Secular Atheism' and Dr. Lionel Carmela of the University Political Science Department jointly filed a lawsuit against the University and University Hospital to stop the annual Charity Christmas Concert benefitting the University Cancer Center. The group claims that a Christian concert in which church choirs participate and other groups sing Christmas songs is an egregious violation of the Separation of Church and State..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"First I'm hearing of us failing the US DOJ audit." said Chief Moynahan as he, the Sheriff, and I drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Moi aussi." I replied. "But Bettina didn't say we'd been notified, just that we'd failed. Sounds like a very deliberate leak to the Press without saying anything to us."

Sheriff Griswold growled: "I talked to Allgood at the Fireman's Ball, and he said he thought they would leak it to put more pressure on him, Allgood, to settle and accept a Consent Decree. The USDOJ has contacted his lawyers three times already, and have offered to drop the demand he resign just to get negotiations started. Daniel's lawyers told the USDOJ to pound sand, that they are going for scorched earth and total victory, and will never settle. And by the way, Don, nobody really noticed, much less took offense to your not being at the Fireman's Ball. I don't know where Bettina was getting that shit from."

"That was a very instructive little tidbit there." I said. "But please continue, sir."

Griswold continued: "I think it's exactly backwards of what Daniel thinks. I believe they went after Daniel to ratchet pressure on the TCPD to accept a Consent Decree. I imagine they expected Daniel and his lawyers to negotiate a settlement, and are totally shocked that he's going 'scorched earth' on them. And they're frustrated, too; their timetable is being thrown off by all this."

"Timetable for what?" asked Moynahan.

"Getting the TCPD to submit to their will." said the Sheriff.

"And I would agree with you, sir," I said, "but with this caveat: I don't think they're expecting to win this first round. The lawsuit against Allgood, the audit on us... which was going to fail no matter what we said or did... it's just the opening salvos, the 'preparation of the objective', to use a little Artillery lingo, there."

"It must be a lonnnnng term plan, then." drawled the Chief. "These lawsuits could take years."

"Yes, Chief, they would." I said. "But I think they're going to be looking for ways to speed things up. So we better wrap up warm. An 'east wind' is coming."

I barely heard myself say again "An 'east wind' is coming..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We were finishing up the Angels Meeting when there was a knock on my door. It opened to reveal a very solemn Cindy Ross. "Turn on the TV." she said. I expertly used the remote to do so.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg with breaking news!" shouted Bettina happily from outside the Courthouse. "Judge Harry R. Nance has upheld the lawsuit filed by the Citizens for Secular Atheism, and has enjoined University Hospital from holding their annual charity concert! The children of the Cancer Center will not be singing any Christmas carols this year..."

Finis... for now.