Belle of Bellville Ch. 07-08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As he was about to exit her room when he heard her whisper a name, and this time it wasn't the name of the man who haunted her. This time it was his name that she whispered with a soft sigh. He stared at her for a few moments before he quietly exited her room with a smile on his lips...

**~*~**

When evening supper came around, Isabella seemed no different than usual, but that was just a farce. To borrow one of the Barrington's 'Texasisms', she was as nervous as a fly in the glue pot. When all too familiar boot falls sounded in the kitchen as the Barrington men entered for supper, and she immediately tensed. She instantly recognized one pair of confident boot falls that could only belong to one.

She pretended as if nothing had happened as she turned from the counter holding a serving dish with a large beef roast on it. It was garnished with fresh radishes, romaine lettuce, and sliced bell peppers. She set the dish in the center of the table as the Barrington men congregated around the table at their usual seating places.

Jacob was the last to enter, and from the corner of her eye she could see that he looked showered and refreshed, just like his father and brothers. He glanced at her but she quickly lowered her eyelashes just as he pulled out his chair and seated himself and immediately helped himself to large helpings of buttery fluffy mashed potatoes.

"Isabella!" John Barrington called jovially.

"Yes, Mr. Barrington?" she asked as she returned with a large pitcher of fresh milk.

"Havin' consulted with my boys, we've decided unanimously that the position of housekeeper and cook is yours if you still want it."

She stole a glance Jacob's way, but he wasn't looking at her. "Unanimously?"

"You do make a fine home-cooked meal, Isabella," John Jr. said with an appreciative smile as he reached for the oversized fork on the serving dish with the roast.

"And the house ain't been this clean for a long while," James added with a smile.

"Thank you, Mister John, Mister James," she said with a stealthy glance in Jacob's direction as he lifted his head and looked straight at her. Her eyelashes fluttered briefly before she quickly returned her attention to the father and smiled. "Thank you, Mr. Barrington."

"No, Isabella, thank you," John Barrington said with his Texas twang. "Us four ornery cusses have been enjoyin' some real fine dinin' since you've arrived, and I particularly like how my bed sheets have been smellin' and feelin'," he said with a chuckle. "Nuthin' beats Mother Nature lingerin' in the sheets, tell you what."

"Yea," James chimed in, "Pa said you should get two days a week off. Everybody needs time off to do things like, I dunno, see a movie or somethin'."

Both John Jr. and Jacob raised their heads and frowned curiously at their youngest brother who had a suspicious blush in his cheeks.

"That really isn't necessary. I take my rests throughout the day," she said.

"Nonsense," John Barrington said as he scooped large ladles-full of gravy on top of his mountain of mashed potatoes, "like my boy says, everybody needs a day or two for some R and R."

Understanding that he wasn't going to take no for an answer, she relented. "Well, I guess it would be nice."

It didn't matter, anyway, she thought silently. The moment she awakened and remembered what she'd allowed to happen, she knew she couldn't stay. She also decided she would leave Barrington Ranch that very evening because she couldn't trust herself around Jacob Barrington. Earlier, she'd enlisted old Jerr's help to bring the Rover to her side of the house. This time she was going to do whatever she needed to do to leave. This time she was going to see it through, no ifs, ands, or buts.

She knew that her choice to leave so abruptly had more to do than her sexual attraction to Jacob. She was actually beginning to have stronger feelings for him, more than she was comfortable with. She wasn't sure if they were truly for him or just some misguided reaction to everything that had happened in the past twenty four hours. It was still all so confusing!

And to be honest, she wasn't really sure how he felt about her, either, considering his renowned reputation. Did he see her as a challenge? Another notch on his bedpost, metaphorically speaking? Did he only want her because she was convenient? She was nothing like the women he was most certainly accustomed to, and she had a lot of baggage she knew he didn't need.

"Then that's settled," John Barrington said. "What days do you reckon you'd wanna take, Isabella?"

She opened her mouth but James was quicker.

"How about Wednesdays and Thursdays?"

"Oh, um, yes, well that sounds fine," she said with a nod.

"Then it's settled. You'll have Wednesdays and Thursdays off," John Barrington said with a wink, drawing a shaky smile from her.

"Well, if there's nothing else, I'll leave you to your supper," she said. "There's chocolate mousse cooling in the refrigerator for desert." She turned to leave when James spoke up again.

"Well, we were kind of hopin' you might want to come and sit with us."

She stopped and turned to face him. "Thank you, Mister James. I'm honored, please know that, but it's not my place," she said with a kind smile. Then she turned and left the kitchen without further incident.

"Why didn't you say anythin', Pa?" James whined. "She should be at the table like the rest of us."

"Naw. Isabella's right, son," his father told him. "It ain't fair to Elena."

"It ain't like she can't. She just has her supper in her room cuz she's hooked on that stupid teevee show that she can't go a day without."

"Regardless," his father told his youngest son. "She might not like seeing Isabella gettin' special treatment. That can breed bad blood and we don't want any of that. Elena's set in her ways, and she's been with us for a long time. We've gotta think of her feelings."

"Yea, Pa's right, James," Junior said as he scooped up a large forkful of gravy-drenched mashed potatoes. "Until she decides to come sit with us at the table on her own, it ain't a good idea to have Isabella do it first. Elena has seniority."

"Elena's a spoiled brat," James said with an angry frown.

"Watch your tongue, James," Junior warned with a hard look.

"It's true, ain't it?" James said stubbornly. "She ain't pullin' her weight around here, and she's makin' Isabella do all the chores, even Pa's sheets now."

"I said," John Jr. growled, "watch your tongue. Or I'm gonna watch it for you."

"I'm just tryin' to say that she needs to start thinkin' about helpin' out around here more cuz she don't think she has to. Even Angie pulled her own weight around here—"

"—And then some," Junior said with a derisive sniff, looking at Jacob as his lips curled. "Right, Jake?"

Jacob flickered up cold blue eyes as he looked across the table at his brother. "If you've got somethin' to say to me, Junior?"

"Maybe. Maybe not."

"Then say it already."

"You really want me to do that, Jake? Right here at the table?"

"Go for it."

"That's enough!" John Barrington said with a harsh tone as he looked at his sons. "You boys will keep a civil tongue at my table, hear? Whatever's goin' on between you two, it ain't comin' to a head here. Git it outta your goddamn system already! It's affectin' the morale among the men, not to mention makin' supper these days mighty unpleasant, and I ain't gonna stand for it anymore, hear? Not anymore."

The tension between the two eldest Barrington sons was thick and hot. After their father's reprimand, the meal proceeded in uncomfortable silence, the discomfort felt mostly by the youngest of the three sons.

Jacob was the first to finish, and he set his napkin aside and then rose from the table before he exited the kitchen. Not long thereafter, John Barrington, too, had enough, and muttered a curse before he threw his napkin on the table.

"I'll be in the study," he said as he shoved his chair back, got up, and stalked out of the kitchen.

John Jr. watched with head bent; eyes following his father's angry exit.

James looked disapprovingly at his remaining brother.

"It ain't his fault Angie left, Junior. You've gotta stop holdin' him responsible for somethin' he ain't had anythin' to do with. Pa's right, this has gotta end. It's tearin' the family apart. Angie made her choice. She wanted Jake—"

"—You've got a ten gallon mouth these days, James."

The youngest Barrington sighed. "You've gotta respect her choice and you've gotta let it go, all right?"

"You don't understand, James." John Jr. shook his head; his handsome face still grim and the hurt still very much alive in his blue eyes. "Jacob betrayed me. He betrayed her. He seduced her—"

"—Stop it already!" James snapped; seeing his brother descending into that place of hurt and rage again. "Now I don't know what she told you, but I know what I saw. Jake ain't ever made any designs on her. I swear, Junior, he did everythin' to avoid her. Her leavin' ain't his fault, it's her choice, and it's time you set this whole mess aside—" He abruptly stopped when Junior shot to his feet and set his napkin over his plate.

"Don't let Isabella's dessert go to waste, James," Junior said before he turned and left the kitchen, too.

"Jesus." James shook his head and set elbows on the table and held his weary, frustrated head in his hands. "This has gotta end already..."

"Was my cooking not up to par this evening?"

James looked up at the door and saw Isabella had returned from her room, holding her own half-full plate with a curious look in her eyes. She looked sheepishly at him as she walked to the sink to empty her plate in the garbage disposal.

"No, no, Isabella. Your cookin' was excellent as always. It ain't that. Honest," he said as he quickly got up and went to her to stand beside her. "My brothers have been like this long before you came, and ain't got nothin' to do with you or your cookin', which is pretty damn good."

She smiled wistfully before she bent and pulled out the dishwasher rack. "Good. Then what ever it is, it's not my concern," she said as she set her silverware and plate in the compartments.

"I just wanted to let you know you've got nothing to do with the quarrel between Junior and Jacob."

"Thank you. That's kind of you, Mister James." She smiled a quick, uncomfortable smile and passed him to clear the table as his gaze followed. Then he quickly followed to help her.

"You don't have to do that, Mister James."

"It's okay," he said with a charming smile. "I don't mind."

"Well then," she gave him a warm smile as she gathered and stacked the plates, "I appreciate your help."

"Y'know? Isabella is a very pretty name."

"Thank you."

"Are you named after your mother?"

"No, Mister James. My mother's name was Eleanora."

"Was?"

She was quiet as she rinsed a plate before setting it in the dishwasher. "Yes. Was," she finally said.

"I'm sorry," he said with genuine empathy.

"Thank you," she said kindly.

"How long ago?"

She understood that he wasn't being nosy. He was just showing polite interest, but it still stung to talk about her beloved mother. "Little over ten years."

"An illness?"

"No." She shook her head as she closed the dishwasher. "Automobile accident." She pressed the buttons and the machine started its cycle. "So," she said as she plastered on a smile, "would you like me to set a pot of coffee? Do you think they'd want some?"

Understanding that she was through talking about a painful and tragic event in her life, he decided to change the subject with humor. His eyes twinkled and he chuckled. "Arbuckle, you mean?"

She laughed softly. "Yes. I forgot. Coffee is Arbuckle around here."

He smiled with a nod. "I could use some."

"Then I'll set a fresh pot of Arbuckle for you, Mister James."

**~*~**

After she'd cleaned the kitchen, and with tablecloth carefully bunched up so as not to drop any crumbs, she went to the other back door that opened directly to the outside. She stepped out onto the short square porch under the burning lamp and tossed out the table cloth, shaking off any crumbs before she checked for stains.

She was lucky this time.

She began folding the big red and white checkered table cloth and quietly let her mind travel back in time. She recalled the moment her mother taught her to appreciate the hard work of their incredibly energetic and skilled housekeeper and cook, Maria, and to learn from her for her own benefit.

"However unlikely it may seem this moment, Isabella, there might come a day when you'll need basic domestic skills. You can't know what the future holds. A time may come when you'll find yourself in a less fortunate situation than today, so it's wise to familiarize yourself with these basic but no less important tasks and to learn to do them right. It also helps build character and a deep respect and appreciation for the work of those employed by us so that we may never take them for granted."

She smiled by that fond memory as she finished folding the tablecloth.

"Well, you're right, Mama." She looked up at the starry skies with quiet eyes, and sighed with a smile. "And I thank you with all my heart for pushing me."

Then the smile on her face froze and faded when she noticed a tall silhouette of a figure coming toward her from the darkness. She slowly narrowed her eyes and peered into the darkness, but when she realized who it was, her eyes widened and she blinked.

Jacob Barrington was coming directly to her. How did she know? Well, and he was looking straight at her! Unable to meet with him right now, she turned around and quickly stepped into the house—and made a beeline for her room, tossing the folded tablecloth onto a built-in cabinet along the wall that lead to the door to the short hall to her room.

Once through that door and after closing it behind her, she threw herself into a run and quickly rushed into her room before she shut the bedroom and fell back against it. Then remembering something, she quickly turned and managed to lock her door. When she finally felt safe enough—and her heart stopped its racing—she crossed the room and seated herself on the edge of her bed with an exasperated sigh.

"This is insane," she whispered as she ran a hand back over her head as she struggled to regain a degree of composure and calm. Then she sniffed and sat straight up straight before she brushed away imaginary wisps of hair from her face. "I can't afford to let him rattle me and have me lose my focus." Then her gaze slipped across the room to her packed suitcase, bag, and her keys on top of that bag. "But I can afford to leave tonight as planned," she whispered with, what she didn't know, a sad gleam in her determined eyes.

She rose to her feet and went to the adjoining bathroom for her last shower at Barrington Ranch...

**~*~**

Isabella waited till midnight before she'd make her move. She needed to be sure everyone was fast asleep when she left. She had written a good bye letter and slipped it into an envelope that now lay in the center of her tidy bed. Then she took her things and successfully crept through her window and packed her things in the Rover. Then she shut the window.

Using the silent mode button of her car alarm remote, she winced when it didn't turn out to be so silent after all. Two chirps signaled that it was disabled and the damned Rover lit up twice. She should've shut down the alarm earlier when Jerry drove the Rover to her side of the house and handed her the keys! But so far, so good. She tugged open the door and made to quickly climb in behind the wheel...

There was a suddenly a bark behind her, nearly giving her a heart attack. She snapped around with big eyes to find none other than Jacob's dog, Jerry, with tongue lolling and black and white bushy tail wagging behind her. Happy to see her, he barked a couple of times more and she quickly put a hushing finger to her lips.

"Shhh! Shhh! Shhh!" she hushed, and he responded by barking again!

"Hush, Jerry, hush!" she whispered with as firmly as she could, making the Aussie's ears perk and his head tilt before—much to her chagrin—he barked again as he bounced in a quick circle, thinking maybe she wanted to play with him.

"No. No. No. I don't want to play. Hush now, Jerry, shhh!" she desperately tried to silence him. He rushed over to her with ears flat in friendly greeting, and to her dismay, he barked again! She dropped to her knees on the grass and grabbed him to her as he playfully wiggled in her embrace. She took his snout and clamped it shut. "Please be quiet! Hush, you silly dog!" she said beneath her breath.

"Where do you think you're goin'?"

"Ah!" She whirled around so quickly that she tripped and fell on her butt on the ground!

Jerry barked happily thinking she was playing a game with him, and he immediately lapped her face.

That tore her out of her shock!

She spat in disgust when his doggie tongue lapped her lips and she finally grabbed his energetic body to her before she looked utterly furious and red-faced up at Jacob Barrington.

He was leaning against the Rover, big arms and ankles crossed, hood tipped back, and looking as if no matter what she told him now, he wouldn't believe her. It suddenly dawned on her that he already knew exactly what she was planning on doing...and that she was caught red-handed in the process of doing it.

To be continued

If you've enjoyed this chapter, please don't forget to vote.

I welcome all feedback, good or bad, so don't be shy!