Beneath the Ice Ch. 06

Story Info
A surprise run-in at the black-tie party.
7.5k words
4.87
17.8k
18

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,731 Followers

Since Joelle was also attending the black-tie dinner, she offered to arrange for the same make-up and hair stylist that she used to visit Charlotte the same day. Alexei told her to do it, and not worry about the expense. It still made Charlotte feel a little funny, accepting such expensive favors from Alexei, but he insisted and she could admit that she enjoyed being spoiled. It was such a novel experience. So she allowed it, this one time.

The day of the event, a Sunday, Zoe watched with wide eyes and a grin as her mom was made over to look like a princess.

"You look just like Ariel, Mommy."

Charlotte grinned at her daughter, where she was perched on the couch with Sarah, who'd agreed to babysit for the evening. "Do you think so?"

"Better." Sarah winked and patted Zoe's back. "You want me to do your hair, Gremlin?"

Zoe bounced up and down and clapped her hands. "Yes! I want to look like Mommy."

"You're well on your way, my dear." Sarah smacked a kiss on top of Zoe's red head, so like Charlotte's own. "Now sit tight, and I'll get supplies."

Charlotte pointed at Zoe's bathroom. "There's a basket under the sink with all her stuff."

"Got it."

The hair stylist and make-up artist, Jane, finished in another few minutes with Charlotte's hair. "Now, what sort of look do you want for your face?" As she spoke, she popped open a large plastic box full of creams, powders, and color palettes that made Charlotte gape. The most make-up she wore these days was a bit of concealer, mascara, and lip gloss. Since this woman's business was traveling to people's homes to make them over for events or photo shoots, she had a shade for everything.

"I don't know." Charlotte touched her cheek. "What do you suggest?"

"Well, it's black tie, right?" Jane lifted out a few containers and set them on the kitchen table beside them. "I'd say let's go with something really dramatic. I can do some smoky eyes and with your coloring, a deep lip color and dark shadow would really make your eyes pop."

Charlotte shrugged. "You're the expert. Let's do it."

Zoe continued to watch, entranced as Jane flicked her brushes and wands over Charlotte's face. Sarah had no trouble taming Zoe's locks since the little girl was so preoccupied.

"When is Alexei picking you up?" Sarah asked as she popped another barrette into Zoe's hair, tucking her bangs out of her eyes.

Charlotte snorted out a laugh. "Picking me up? He's downstairs."

"Yeah, well, he's not here so I assumed he'd insisted on picking you up, like a proper date and everything." Sarah picked up the brush and shot Charlotte a wink before working the brush through the ends of Zoe's hair. "Didn't you say you were sharing a limo with your friends, Olle and Joelle?"

"We are." Charlotte closed her eyes and held still as Jane continued to work. When she could speak again, she lifted her phone from the table to check the time. "The only reason he's not here getting ready is because they all had a team meeting after lunch."

"I see. So he's pretty much moved in then?"

"What?" Charlotte laughed. "Of course not."

"Oh please." Sarah scoffed and cupped Zoe's slender shoulders before leaning forward to look into the little girl's face. "Does Grumpy have dinner with you every night? And breakfast every morning?"

Zoe nodded, turning a grin up to her 'Auntie' Sarah. "Oh yeah. Every night he's not playing a game."

"Right. And he picks you up from daycare every so often, right?"

Zoe nodded again. "Yeah. He's the only person besides Mommy who's allowed to."

Charlotte narrowed her eyes at her friend. "So? We're spending a lot of time together. Doesn't mean we're living together."

"Gremlin, can you do me a favor and go run and count how many shirts and pants Alexei has in the closet?"

With her usual enthusiasm, Zoe vaulted to the floor with a thud and dashed into the master bedroom. From there, she shouted her findings, making all three women laugh.

"There's so many! Like a hundred shirts and ten pants, at least!" She bolted back out and onto the couch, high fiving Sarah's outstretched hand. "And his shoes are in the closet over there too." She pointed to the front hall closet as she clambered back to her position in front of Sarah to finish getting her hair done.

Charlotte made a noise in the back of her throat at Sarah's pointed look. "He still rents his place downstairs. That means we're not living together."

It was Jane who laughed in response. She patted Charlotte's shoulder. "Sorry, sweetheart. He's moved in and you're stuck with him now."

"Stuck with who?" Alexei asked as he swept in the door, already dressed in his tuxedo.

Silence greeted his entrance as they all took him in. Charlotte was pretty sure she swallowed her tongue at the sight of him ready for this event. His suit had to be custom made to fit his broad shape and his hair was freshly cut. Charlotte's fingers itched to slide through it.

Jane's hand on her shoulder tightened for a second and it was Zoe who broke the stunned silence.

"Grumpy." She sounded shocked beyond belief. "You look like a prince."

"Do I?" He ran a palm down the front of his black dinner jacket. "Is that good?"

Four heads nodded in response.

"Then it's a good thing I brought you something to make you a princess." He held up the bag in his hand and Zoe jumped up with an excited cry. She bolted right into his arms and squeezed him tight around the neck.

Jane made a sound and Charlotte tore her gaze away from Alexei to look up at the woman. She was clutching a hand to her chest, her eyes soft as she took in the genuine affection between the man and the little girl.

"Can I put it on now?" Zoe grasped the bag as Alexei set her back on her feet. "Mommy? Can I?"

"Of course, sweetheart."

She squealed in excitement and bolted to her room, where she proceeded to throw her clothes off without closing the door behind her. Sarah stood with a laugh and went to help her.

Charlotte looked up as Alexei moved to stand in front of her. "You look--"

He gave her a wicked grin that made her heart skip around in her chest. "Like a prince?"

"Better." She beamed up at him. "How was the meeting?"

He shrugged and stepped to one side to take the seat next to her at the table, allowing Jane to finish. "It was fine. The usual. We leave on a road trip tomorrow, so we discussed those games."

"Right." Charlotte let out a breath and closed her eyes again at Jane's direction. She didn't like to think about this road trip. He'd been gone for a night or two here or there since they became an item, but this stretch of away games would take them right up to Christmas Eve.

They all fell silent as Jane finished with Charlotte's face, exchanging smiles as they listened to Zoe's excited exclamations beyond her bedroom door. A few minutes later, Jane was finished and Sarah swept out of Zoe's bedroom.

"May I introduce you all to Princess Zoeblossom Splendida!"

Charlotte laughed at the made-up title and melted when Zoe walked out behind Sarah, in a sparkling pink princess dress, complete with a starry wand and golden tiara.

"Oh my goodness." Jane bent down to greet Zoe with a formal curtsy. "Princess, may I have the honor of doing your make-up?"

Zoe turned shining eyes to her mother for permission and Charlotte nodded, knowing Jane wouldn't do anything crazy. Sure enough, she sat Zoe on the edge of the table and swept lightly dusted brushes over Zoe's cheeks, leaving the barest smear of blush there. Jane also swept clean brushes over Zoe's eyes and pretended to draw on eye liner. She did finish with some bright pink shiny lip gloss that smelled faintly of strawberries.

"Thank you for that." Charlotte smiled after Zoe rushed off to look at herself in the mirror.

"My daughter was the same way at her age." Jane grinned and started piling all her stuff back into her massive box. "Anything else I can do for anyone today? How about you sir? A little eye liner to make those eyes really stand out?"

Alexei chuckled and shook his head. "Thank you. I'm fine."

Jane hummed in agreement, giving him another once over that had them all laughing. "Well, you have a wonderful time tonight."

"Thank you." Charlotte stood to see her out, after Alexei paid her.

"Now, let's get you into your dress, Princess Charlotte." Sarah wrapped an arm around her shoulders, leaving Zoe and Alexei to compare fancy outfits.

"Girl." Sarah closed the bedroom door and sank back against it. "Would you ever consider a loan one weekend?"

Charlotte burst out laughing. "What are you talking about?"

"That man out there--" Sarah fanned herself. "Did you not see him? You're dating the Russian James Bond!"

"He is super dreamy." Charlotte didn't bother to hide her satisfied smirk. "And he's all mine. No sharing or loans, sorry."

Sarah blew a raspberry and straightened from the door. "I'll find someone all my own one day. Wait and see."

"There are some single dudes on the team, you know." Charlotte unzipped her dress from the bag and glanced up at her friend. "I could introduce you?"

"Hmm. An athlete? Maybe. Only if he speaks English as well as Alexei. I couldn't be with someone who doesn't get my jokes. They're not nearly as funny when I have to explain them."

Charlotte grinned and nodded before tugging the ties of her robe. She wasn't shy about undressing before her friend and they quickly got her zipped up into the dress.

"Oh, honey." Sarah clasped her hands together in front of her as Charlotte slid her feet into the plain black pumps she'd picked. "You do look like a princess."

"Thanks, Sarah." Charlotte had to admit, she felt like a princess. She twirled once, grinning as her skirt flared. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been so dressed up. Probably her high school prom.

"Thank goodness you let Alexei spoil you and get this dress." Sarah fussed around her for a moment, making sure the straps across her back were flat. "If he hadn't pushed, I'm sure you'd be wearing that sad little black dress in your closet, wouldn't you?"

"Well, it's not like I have a budget for black tie dresses." Charlotte's tone was dry, even as she smiled at her friend.

"Still, it's nice to have the option now, anyway." Sarah came back around to her front, brushing her hands over the straps at her shoulders. "Let him spoil you and shower you with gifts. I sure would, if I had a rich boyfriend." She added a wink and turned away, heading for the door.

Charlotte blinked. She knew her friend didn't mean anything by it. Of course she didn't. Sarah knew she prided herself on making her own way, but something about the sentiment rubbed her the wrong way. She shook it off a moment later. No, it had just been a light-hearted comment. A joke, really. No big deal.

Clearing her throat, she turned to the items remaining on her bed. "So, I'll have my phone on me if anything comes up tonight." She picked up said phone and tucked it into the bejeweled black clutch she'd borrowed from Ursula for the night. "And you have Alexei's number, right?"

"We'll be fine." Sarah flapped a hand at her and smiled. "Go, and have a wonderful time." She paused with her hand on the doorknob, grinning at Charlotte. "You want me to introduce you like I did Zoe?"

"I'm good." Charlotte smiled and followed her friend out of the room.

Alexei and Zoe were sitting on the couch, chatting with each other. Sarah cleared her throat and gestured with showman's hands at Charlotte, who laughed.

"Mommy!" Zoe stood up on the couch, her wand in her hand. "You're a princess like me!"

Alexei stood up and walked over to stand before Charlotte. The look in his eyes made her heart beat harder, which wasn't unusual. "You look gorgeous, lyubov moya."

"Oh my God." Sarah held her phone up. "I have to get pictures of you guys. You too, Gremlin. Go pose with Mommy and Alexei."

Zoe scrambled over to the two fancy grown-ups and grinned for Sarah. Sarah fussed, taking several shots before Alexei's phone dinged, announcing the arrival of Olle and Joelle in the limo downstairs.

"We have to go." Alexei put his phone back in his pocket and walked to the front closet. He tugged out his coat and wrapped Charlotte up in hers as well.

Charlotte bent to press a kiss to Zoe's head. "Have fun and be good for Auntie Sarah. We'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay, Mommy."

Zoe and Sarah waved them off as they headed out the door. Downstairs on the windswept wintery street, Olle popped out of the waiting black limo and grinned in greeting.

"Hey guys. You look amazing!"

"Thanks, Olle. So do you." Charlotte ducked her head to climb into the limo ahead of the men. "Hi, Joelle."

"Hi." Joelle lifted her hand in a little wave. "Ready to party tonight?"

Charlotte laughed as she shifted over to sit next to her friend. "I don't even know what this function is for."

"It's the owners' dinner." Joelle turned a bit to face Charlotte better. "The owners of the team, that is. They invite everyone in town worth knowing and hold a silent auction to raise money for some charity they've selected each year, so it doesn't seem so much like a self-indulgent evening."

Charlotte snickered. "Awesome. I could bid twenty bucks on something."

"Me too." They laughed together.

The ride to the convention center didn't take long, considering the weather, and they made their way inside to the main room, already crowded with so many guests and decorated to the gills for the holiday season.

"Holy cow, this is everyone worth knowing?" Charlotte leaned close to Joelle as they strode into the function room.

"Plus a few, I'm sure."

"There has to be three hundred people in here."

Joelle nodded. "Probably." She rubbed a hand over her belly. "Okay, let's hit the bar. I think I need some Sprite or something to settle my stomach."

"Ah. Morning sickness?"

Joelle nodded. "More like strike-any-time-of-the-day-sickness, for me."

"I was sick mostly in the mornings with Zoe." With the men trailing behind them by a few steps, Charlotte walked with Joelle around the edge of the crowd to one of the several small bars set up around the space. "I know it's different for everyone."

"Yeah. I should warn you now, we may steal the limo to duck out early if I don't feel up to staying all night."

"Oh yeah, don't worry about it." Charlotte reached over to squeeze her arm. "I wouldn't blame you in the slightest."

They reached the bar and Charlotte got herself a white wine, thinking anything with color wouldn't be a good idea in her brand new couture dress. Joelle got her non-alcoholic soda, and the men ordered their drinks as well.

A few players and their spouses approached as they moved away from the bar. They all greeted each other, offering introductions as Charlotte hadn't met everyone yet. Chatter turned to the event itself and where they would all be seated for the evening. As a larger group, they moved to the seating map and located their tables.

After taking their places at the big tables, thankfully seated with Olle and Joelle, Charlotte turned to Alexei, who had his customary 'grumpy' expression in place. "Joelle was telling me there's a silent auction?"

He nodded. "You want to go bid on something?"

"Well, not bid, but I'd like to look. I've never been to anything like this before, so I'd like to take it all in."

"Of course." He ran his knuckles over her cheek, such a casual gesture but it set her heart racing. "Let's go see before they start dinner."

"Great." Charlotte turned to Joelle. "Can you watch my purse?"

"Of course." Joelle grinned and sipped her drink, one hand still on the slight curve of her belly. "Enjoy yourselves. We won't be moving from here."

Charlotte slid her hand through Alexei's offered arm and walked with him through the crowd towards one corner of the big room. They were stopped several times, by other players, team executives, and a few other local celebrities that Charlotte recognized. She was awestruck by the time they made their way to the silent auction area.

"So how does this work?"

Alexei glanced down at the long tables set up in a wide U. He pointed at one of the little ship models nearest to them. Along the tables, there were also little airplanes, little paintings or sculptures, and a few other items. "Each display represents the item being sold. This is a cruise in the Bahamas." He pointed at the first ship. "That's a boat trip on the lake. The ones with airplanes are probably trips to different places. Each item has a paper with it, and if you want to bid, you put your name down along with an amount you're bidding. At the end of the night, whoever has made the highest bid, wins the item."

"I get it." Charlotte did wonder whether it could be called 'winning' when you had to pay for it, but whatever worked for this rich crowd. "Oh, I wonder if there's a trip to Monaco."

"Monaco?"

"Yeah." She smiled up at him. "It's on my bucket list of places to see. I don't know why, but it just seems so exotic to me. I've always wanted to go."

Alexei nodded and they moved along the tables, taking in each item up for auction. There were indeed several cruises, a few boat cruises on the lake, lakefront cabin rentals, jewelry and watches, artwork, tickets to sporting events and upcoming concerts, plays, operas, and at least a dozen or more different trips. There was a safari in Africa, two weeks in Australia, a weekend in Las Vegas, and a Mediterranean cruise on a private yacht.

Charlotte paused next to that one, eyeing the description of everything that came with the prize. It had stops in Italy, France, Spain, and Greece, and even her dream destination, Monaco.

"You want to bid on this?" Alexei rubbed a hand on the small of her back.

She looked up at him with a laugh. "With what? My meager savings wouldn't come close to being a winning bid for this, no matter how much I'd love to donate to this year's charity."

Alexei studied her face and she could see he was considering bidding on it for her. She reached back and clasped his hand. "Come on. Let's check out the rest and head back to the table. They must be getting ready to serve dinner soon."

He nodded and followed her around the rest of the tables, and back across the busy room to their table.

"Did you bid on anything?" Joelle asked with a grin as they sat down.

"Oh yeah, put a million down on the weekend in Vegas." Charlotte winked at her, making the other woman burst into laughter.

There were some other new faces at the table and more introductions were made. A short while after that, dinner started to be served. Charlotte was underwhelmed with the beef dish, considering the wealth behind the event. But perhaps they'd skimped on the meal in order to put more money into the charity. What did she know about this sort of thing anyway? After, she was happy with her fruit and cream dessert, and was glad the meal ended on a high note.

Joelle leaned close on her one side. "I'll never understand why they can't get a five-star meal for these things."

Charlotte covered a laugh with her hand. "Is it always the same?"

The other woman shrugged and reached for her soda. "For these really fancy dos, yeah, it's all basically the same. I like the events that are more family-centric, like the kids' fairs and that sort of thing."

"Sure. I mean, I had fun getting all dressed up for tonight but doing this all the time? It would get old."

Joelle nodded and eyed Charlotte with a smile. "I bet Alexei can't wait to take you and Zoe to some of the events. There's one coming up in January, a sort of carnival where kids from underprivileged areas get to attend and play the games for free and all the money raised goes towards sports programs for schools."

Charlotte glanced at Alexei who was speaking to the man on his other side. "He hasn't mentioned it."

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,731 Followers