Better Off Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I . . . I can't. I have to be there for her, because . . ." When Dr. Navathe tried to press the issue, Katie interrupted her. "Just tell me one thing. That whatever the fuck they did to her, that you can undo it. That my sister is still in there, that she can still be saved. Tell me . . . Tell me there's hope."

Dr. Navathe leaned back in her chair and let out a sigh. "I wouldn't want to make promises in this sort of situation. Your sister . . . Victoria, as well as the others . . . They're a unique case, and beyond something I, or really any of us, have ever experienced. That drug that Sherri said they were using, whatever it is, it's powerful. If we could get our hands on it, this would be easier, but . . ."

Katie knew to expect that things weren't going to be easy. The scar on her arm from when Victoria bit her was the first cold lesson to that truth. But to hear such news up front affected her more than she could fortify against, and she finally broke down into a gentle sob.

"But that doesn't mean we should give up hope. Thanks to the information we learned from Sherri, we managed to learn about that trigger. It's been quite invaluable in breaking through some of Victoria's defenses. It may not seem like it, but we've made some progress. If things continue, maybe another month or two and we'll have what we need, and the person responsible for all this will be behind bars. Maybe then we can see about letting Victoria return home. She has a long way to go before she's recovered, and I can't say for certain if there will be any lasting effects on her mental status. But I suspect being in a familiar place, one less," Dr. Navathe waved her hand around the room, "drab, will only be a boon for her recovery.

"So listen to me, Katie." She waited until Katie's puffy eyes were on hers. "There is always hope."

"Thank you." Katie wiped her eyes dry and took Dr. Navathe's hand in her own.

"It's late, Katie. Go get some rest. And really, consider taking a few days for yourself. Your father will be here to watch over Victoria tomorrow, and I'm sure he won't mind taking another day as well. Sooner or later, she'll get better. Don't sacrifice yourself in the process."

Katie wanted to argue, but no longer had it in her. She rose from her seat. "I'll consider it," she said. With one more glance towards Victoria, Katie said her goodnight to the doctor and left the house, passing the night guard along the way.

* * *

July 18th

Katie raised her empty bottle and shook it, signaling to the bartender for another. The man behind the counter nodded to her before returning to finish whatever orders were ahead of hers. He knew Katie by name now, and Katie wasn't sure how she felt about that. She never made any effort to remember his.

The bar was within walking distance of her apartment. Unlike others in the area, this one was well maintained, though perhaps it just hadn't had time to accumulate the grime she was accustomed to seeing.

The soft lighting fostered a comfortable atmosphere, and the music was kept low, allowing conversations to flourish. It gave her a chance to relax and pretend like she was being social as she watched others enjoy their night. She told herself it was better than drinking at home. The half-off Shiner Bock specials certainly didn't hurt either.

Most faces were new, small gatherings of friends drinking their cares away and couples basking in each other's company. Good food, good drinks, and plenty of smiles. But it was the familiar ones that Katie found more intriguing, the ones that sat alone at the bar. She wondered how long they told themselves they were just waiting for something to change, just one more night of coming here before things improved. Or how long since they gave up that pretense.

She wondered how long she'd be doing the same.

The corner booth was her preferred spot, a place where she could stretch out her legs and lean against the wall. The bartender handed her another beer. She took a sip, then placed it on the table to run her thumb over the rim.

Most nights no one bothered her. She never dressed to impress, and certainly never gave any looks that implied she was looking for something. That didn't stop some people from trying, but most of them gave up when all she offered in return was restrained conversation. Though a few lucky individuals did get to see her home, on nights when she just needed to get fucked.

Tonight didn't feel like one of those nights. So when some woman approached her, Katie gave her little more than a glance.

"Hey, mind if I sit here?" The woman leaned her hip against the opposite seat. She looked a bit older than Katie, with friendly eyes and a confident smile. The head of a wolf was emblazoned on her dark jersey, snarling at Katie, the mascot of some school that Katie couldn't place but had seen before.

Katie shrugged and waved her bottle towards the empty seat before taking a swig. "Suit yourself."

The woman sat down with a contented sigh. She turned around to motion for the bartender to bring over the same drink as Katie's. "I hope your drink is good, haven't tried it myself."

"It does the job." Another swig.

"So . . ." The woman slapped both hands flat on the table. "What's a girl like you doing drinking in a corner all by herself?"

"Look . . ." Katie gestured for the girl's name, and the girl gave it with an eager smile. "Look, Bethany. I'm not really here for a quick fling. And I'm not really that into girls. If I get five . . ." Katie looked the girl over. She did have pleasant features, and her hoodie didn't do much to hide what appeared to be an athletic body. "Maybe four more drinks in me, I might change my mind. But right now, I'd say don't waste your time."

Bethany laughed. "Someone sure thinks highly of themselves. Hate to disappoint you, but I'm just waiting for some friends. I have the unfortunate habit of arriving too early to everything, ya'know? And you're the lucky one that gets to help me pass the time until they arrive. Who knows, maybe I'll change your mind after just three drinks. I'm sure my friends will understand."

The bartender dropped her drink off just then, and Bethany raised it to toast with Katie. Katie could only stare at it for a moment before scoffing and clinking their bottles together. "You do you." After downing the rest of her beer, she ordered another and then rested her head against the wall. She enjoyed the way the room seemed to sway like a boat beneath her. Perhaps putting a hammock in her home would feel even better.

"So, not here to pick someone up. Are you one of those drowning sorrows kind of people? What's got you so down?"

"Let's just say you have a better chance of putting your hand down my pants than you do of me telling you about my problems," Katie said.

"Ooh, options. I like it! Which one should I work for? Sex is always a nice goal, but gotta say, a depressing mystery is an intriguing change of pace." Bethany took a moment to enjoy her own humor. "But fine, we'll put a pin in that as well. Truth be told, I'm here to celebrate. You see, I just got word that they found my friend that's been missing for a few years."

Katie perked up. "Missing?"

"Yeah, it's the craziest thing. You hear about that cult that they busted however many weeks ago? Well, turns out my friend was with them. I almost can't believe it! Never would have pegged her as someone who would join a cult, but I guess you can't know every detail of someone's life."

"Your friend, she's okay? They already let her go?"

"Well . . . no." Bethany slumped in her seat, and Katie's heart sank with her. "I haven't actually seen her yet. I don't even know what's going on with her, but . . . we figured good news is good news, and it's worth a small celebration, right?" That's when she noticed the way Katie was looking at her, and whatever smile she had mustered to remain positive flitted away. "You know someone too . . ."

Katie took a deep breath and let it out. "My sister."

"And that's why you're here," Bethany said.

Katie raised her beer in affirmation before taking another big drink.

"But hey! You should be happy that she's out, right?"

"Thought I would be."

". . . Is my friend going to be okay?"

"I'm sorry, I . . . I'm not really supposed to talk about it." Katie wondered if she was sparing the girl by not telling. Learning the details of what they did to Victoria had only made things worse for her, after all.

"All I have to go by is the news, which isn't saying anything, and the rumors being spread. They're saying something about brainwashing. Is that true? Please, I'm just worried about her."

Try as she might, the pain Katie saw in Bethany's eyes was too familiar for her to ignore. There was no way she couldn't offer her something. She put on her best effort at a comforting smile. "I'm sure she'll be fine. They're working hard to help my sister, and she's making a lot of progress. It shouldn't be long before her and your friend are back with us."

Bethany seemed to chew on the words for a moment, leaving Katie to wonder how convincing her encouragement was when coming from someone drinking alone at night. Not very, she realized.

"I want to believe you, it's just . . . Is there anything you can tell me that's a bit more substantive? I don't want to come across as rude, I'm just more of a facts and evidence kind of gal."

Katie took a long sip of her drink, using the moment to weigh what she felt she should say versus what she was allowed to. Even by the time the drink was finished she wasn't sure what to do. She plopped the empty bottle onto the table harder than intended. "Fuck it," she said, pointing at Bethany. "Don't go telling anyone, okay? If they revoke my visitations, I'm coming after you."

Bethany sat up straight, her full attention on Katie. She nodded her head. "Not a word."

Katie lowered her voice after making sure no one else was near enough to overhear. "Well, I won't go into the details, but . . . As unbelievable as it sounds, I guess that brainwashing shit you heard is true. And we're trying to undo it."

"Wow . . . Is it working?"

Any indication that Katie was drunk disappeared for just that moment. "It has to. And in a couple months when it does, the fuckers that did this to your friend are going to pay." She just needed to believe it herself.

"Thank you," Bethany said. "I feel better now."

Katie waved her off. She stood up, using the back of the bench for support when she almost lost her balance. "I think I'm gonna head home now. Enjoy your celebration with your friends. Make sure to have a round on me, eh?"

Bethany nodded.

"And hey," Katie said with a chuckle. "You were right, it would have been three. Maybe you can buy them for me some other time."

"I'd like that."

Katie waved goodbye to Bethany and then approached the bar to pay her tab. Once done, she shuffled towards the exit.

Bethany kept her eyes on her the entire time. As soon as Katie walked out of sight, all emotion drained from Bethany's face.

She turned to the table and fished her phone out of her purse. After dialing a number that never registered in her mind, a woman's voice greeted her. "What did you learn, Alessa?"

"They know about the conditioning." Alessa shivered as she thought about her own conditioning. She hoped Nabi would reward her with another session when she got back. "She thinks they can undo it in a few months, but she doesn't seem very confident."

There was silence on the other end.

"Do you want me to follow her again? I know where she lives. It will be so easy." Alessa slid a hand down her pants. The rest of the bar was behind her, but she would have done it in plain view of everyone if Nabi wanted her to. "I can bring her to you. She's very beautiful, I know you'll like her. She can serve you just like I do. Please, just say the word. I-"

"No." The voice was stern, decisive, but disappointing. Yet just hearing Nabi speak was enough to keep Alessa's fingers moving inside her pussy. "I have something else for you to do. You did well. You may cum, but hurry on back."

Nabi did not wait for a response. The phone disconnected before it clattered on the table. The hand holding it had more important things to grab as Alessa let out a short shriek that turned heads. The orgasm was powerful, but short lived. Nabi wanted her back soon, and Alessa would not disobey. She was thankful for any pleasure that Nabi provided.

Alessa stood up and began walking to the bar. She had a proud grin on her face as she waved at those that stared back at her. She paid for the drink with a large tip, the bill damp from the juices on her fingers. With a wink, she walked out, the bartender shaking his head in disappointment. She gave it no thought, focused only on getting back to Nabi so she could find out what her next task was.

***

"Eve's engagement party is this weekend." Bernard took a sip from his mug, the words Billable Coffee Break written in cursive on the side. He winced from the heat with a sharp intake of breath before licking his lips. "Comin'?"

April didn't bother giving him or his pinstripe suit a glance. "And subject myself to her horrendous cackling for the night? No thanks. If I'm going to torture myself, I'd rather it be with something that won't make me want to stab my ears out."

"She's not that annoying." The cubicle creaked as he leaned against it, threatening to send April's nature calendar to the floor. "Plus, it's free food and drinks. And don't tell me you're not curious about the guy she's marrying."

"Anyone that's willing to put up with her for the rest of their likely short life is not someone I want to know exists. Though . . . take notes for me?"

"Oh shit! Hey, Eve. Congratulations!"

April stiffened, realizing she hadn't bothered keeping her voice down. When she turned around, there was no sign of Eve to be found. She gave Bernard a death glare. "Ass."

Bernard was all smiles. "Worth it. And yeah, don't worry, I'll tell you all about him."

"You better swipe a drink for me after that one."

The phone rang. April looked at the caller ID and groaned. "And runner-up for most annoying person . . ."

She continued to let it ring, her hand hovering over the handset. With any luck . . .

"Janine's not at her desk," Bernard said with a chuckle. He gestured towards the phone with his mug. "That's all you."

April mouthed the word 'fuck' before taking a deep breath and lifting the phone to her ear. When she spoke, her voice was the gold standard of polite customer service. "You've reached the law offices of Haverly, Pendleton, and Miller. April speaking. How may I help you today?"

April rolled her eyes as she listened to the voice on the other end of the line. She waited for a polite moment to respond. "I'm sorry, Ms. Berkhoff, but as I told you previously, we are not able to give out that information. I assure you we have passed along all of your messages, and she has your contact information. There's nothing more we can do. I-"

There was something to be said about the quality of pens that the office provided, being able to withstand the amount of force April exerted as she squeezed one in her palm. "Yes, ma'am, I can take another message. Yes, I'm ready when you are."

April began doodling on the scrap envelope she found in her trash as she listened to the woman. "Anything else? Okay. Yes, I will make sure she sees it. Yes, ma'am. I understand. Thanks. You have a great day now. Bye bye." She placed the phone back on the receiver, proud of her restraint for not slamming it down. The envelope with the doodle returned to the trash, all crumpled up.

"I'm impressed," Bernard said with a whistle. "Never seen someone sound so friendly, yet look so furious at the same time."

"Natural-born skill. Just be glad you don't have to deal with her. She's like . . . the personification of cold chicken noodle soup." April groaned and held her head in her hands. "How many free drinks did you say there were at that party, again?"

* * *

July 24th

It was that damned noise. Katie might as well have had her ear placed right next to Victoria's crotch with how much it demanded her attention.

"With each step, feel yourself relax even more. Even as the pleasure builds, your body and mind relax as you descend further down the stairs."

Not even Dr. Navathe's soothing voice was enough to distract Katie, no matter how much she tried to focus on it. How wonderful it would be for her to let her mind shut off. She'd do anything to not have to worry about her sister for even a moment. Anything to relax.

Anything to stop that noise.

But it was always there. That ever-present wet sound of Victoria's fingers as she played with herself down into trance. Katie couldn't escape it, like some perverse form of tinnitus.

"Feeling so safe as you listen to my voice guide you, deeper and deeper. All the way down, until there's nowhere left to go. Until your mind is completely open, receptive to my instruction."

Yet Katie would still try to follow along with what Navathe said. She descended behind Victoria on the staircase in her own head. Part of her hoped Victoria was picturing the same one—the one from the house they grew up in, with the smooth oak bannister. Except now, the worn carpeted steps seemed to stretch on forever as they both plodded down. And all the while, Victoria's repugnant soundtrack played in the background.

"And when you get to the bottom, a place beyond thoughts, where it's just my voice in your head, I want you to say, 'I'm here.'"

Katie shifted on the couch, careful to not disturb Victoria too much. She held Victoria's free hand in her own, tracing gentle circles with her thumb, wishing that this would be the day they broke through. She had lost count of how many times they had run through this exact scenario. It felt as innumerable as the stairs Victoria was descending. By now, wishing felt like a farce.

"I'm here," Victoria said, and Katie shook her head clear.

"Very good, Victoria. So relaxed, so safe, your mind open to my suggestions. We're going to go through the same scenario again. Now that you're at the bottom of the staircase, you find yourself in a room. Remember, you're safe in this room, nothing can harm you. In the very center of this room is a chest. Do you see the chest, Victoria?"

"Yes . . ."

"Go ahead and walk towards it. And as you stand over it, you already know what's inside. The chest is full of your memories, Victoria. Everything about who you are, all your thoughts and dreams, they're all contained within.

"There's no lock on this chest. It's waiting for you to open it. And if you open the chest, you will be reunited with all these memories. You will remember who you are. You will remember who your sister is. You will remember the real name of the person who did this to you. Victoria, tell me, what will happen when you open the chest?"

"I will get my memories back."

"That's correct, Victoria. Now, I want you to reach down and grab the lid. Feel the rough surface of the heavy wood against the palms of your hand as you hold it at the edges. And then, very carefully, begin to lift it. No matter how heavy it is, it still creaks open. And as the lid rises, you can see your memories spilling out. They're filling your mind with the information that was locked away. And as your mind begins to fill, you feel yourself gaining more strength, able to lift the lid even further to let even more memories out. And with a final burst of strength, I want you to throw the lid the rest of the way open, allowing everything contained within to reunite with you. Do you understand?"

"Yes . . ."

"Then go ahead and open the chest. Tell me when that is done, Victoria."

Katie stood next to Victoria in that cold room. It was devoid of color, of emotion. Only the chest held any importance, and they would stare at it together, hand in hand. It was large, much larger than any she had ever seen. It was made of a rich, heavy wood, with polished metal riveted along the edges in intricate, ornate designs. It was a fitting chest to hold so much of someone like Victoria.