All Comments on 'Better Than Me?'

by magmaman

Sort by:
  • 106 Comments
mike2710mike2710about 12 years ago
Thanks

Enjoyed your story. It ended as it should have. Thanks for the entertainment.

Mike from Texas

trite_readertrite_readerabout 12 years ago
Interesting story

I love that he fought for the one he loves.

However, and here's the thing. Why did he have to? In this case, she was protecting the antagonist. To me, suspicion will need to be a part of this relationship, and that makes things difficult.

Still, a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
A good story

But they have both lost a lot of trust with each other. Spying on your partner? Not telling him about a lunch date with an ex-bf?

If my wire wants to go for coffee or lunch with an ex, all she needs to do is ask. I trust her not to do anything. Likewise, if I do the same, she trusts me not to do anything disepectful to our marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
He only had the word of the slut? She made him a cuckold and wimp

and if he took her back then he is a willing cuckold and she is a slut whore. The willing cuckolds will like this story so have at it and enjoy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
the person fighting to save the marriage should have been the wife

it is obvious it was only a matter of time until she gave in. Save heartbreak in the future divorce her now......

Sidney43Sidney43about 12 years ago

Loved it - five stars.

Yes, she should have been honest and up front, but then what would you have written about?

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Anon Has It Right; Wife Should Be Fighting For Her Marriage

Good story, loads of emotional turmoil. Hard to in any way feel good about the wife here. Also hard to feel good about the couple's future; too bad.

BTTapBTTapabout 12 years ago
Good tale

I was entertained and enjoyed the revenge-on-the-bully theme.

I kind of thought the wife's perspective was inconsistent/screwed-up. Bit surprise, right? As if a woman's thoughts and feelings flying out in several different directions at once is so unusual? So, maybe you got that right, too.

But what was it? She thought the other guy was a jerk or not? She liked the flattery of his attention, but recognized that the guy was trying to get into her pants (obviously-he says it to her, repeatedly). She knows the guy is bad news, and claims she doesn't want to have an affair or leave hubby, but she maintains a flirty attitude with him, meets/hosts him socially (and without hubby's permission) and defends the asshole to hubby when hubby rightly predicts that the asshole wants into her pants? She says she didn't like the attention (oh, really? is that why you were giggling and meeting the guy secretly), but didn't want to share it with hubby in case he would have a confrontation with the guy and get hurt? Is she in junior high still?

I am all for fighting for your marriage, but it would be nice to know your partner is fighting, too. Here, despite how screwed up the wife's thinking was on this, at least she was resisting and didn't seem to be even entertaining the thought of going to bed with the guy. Still, the lying, deceptions and leaving hubby out in the cold was pretty bad.

Efffective story that I wish had been expanded to really get to the heart of things. I think the most honest thing she said in her defense was that when the old boyfriend turned on the charm, etc., she liked it. I get that. A 30ish woman (or man) in a very familiar marriage (well-described by the author) can certainly get an 'itch," that a little flirting from an admirer can scratch. The problem is when it starts going too far, as here. One hopes that the damage done to the couple in regards to trust, etc., can be healed.

Well done, 'maman.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
The End ?

It's not over.... as far as she is concerned

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
this was a VERY GOOD ONE

LOVED IT . NOT ALL MEN ARE EQUIPPED TO DO PHSCIAL BATTLE TO PROTECT THERE TURF. BUT HERE WAS A GUY WHO TOOK CARE OF BUSINESS. GREAT READ.

bruce22bruce22about 12 years ago
As Always MGM turns out a fine story!

Basically I think that she went over my line by hiding the contacts he made with her, the whole time. My thought would have been to tell her that my lawyer would be talking with her lawyer because I could no longer trust her to be honest with me. Her excuse that she was afraid that he would be injured just proved, first that she had no respect for him, and second that she could have been intimidated into giving it up on the kitchen floor if Rich had been a bit more forward... Luckily he, like most bullies, was a coward, but since they have no children it seems like a good point to break of the relationship!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Decent

End of ch. 1. There is more to this story. I just don't know if it will be written.

x_witless_xx_witless_xabout 12 years ago
Old Skool we are back!

Great stuff MGM, controlled writing smooth as satin. I do love these clever two page tales. You know exactly how much yarn to feed out - you came pretty close to making your gal ireedemable in her actions - but snagged it just. It's a fucking quandary when old hands start hitting on our wives - act in the wrong way just the slightest and look like a possessive jerk, or end up in cuck tales at the other end of the Loving Wives spectrum, or play it real to life, as did your protagonist. What was really pleasing was the confrontation and battle. LOVED the chase. Could just imagine what the coward (too clichéd you need to make him less cartoonish) had going through his mind, that fear of flight, of being beaten to the line again. I believe he was jealous of our hero and you alluded to that. So he was a weak cunt all along. Which is why the ending worked so well. No over the top crap here - no seals or knives or desperate measures. Just a good old 'I'll fight for what I fucking love and dude if you threaten that you will find i'm a mean and dogged enemy' and realistic too - he went up against a bigger guy and didn't come off with nothin' to lick clean but a bloody nose. Fucking coolio!

Now instead of taking her down the friggin' line dancing Friday night, may I suggest you make alternative plans to remove to the theater for a change of scene, you know, learn her a bit of culture, stop her getting bored? Jeje. 5* all the way...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
What husband doesn't know, won't hurt him...

Most of the commenters have it spot on, in my opinion. Hubby wasn't fighting FOR his wife, he was fighting OVER her. She was supposed to have already chosen her husband, because hey, she married him!

BTTap has already said most of it, Kat was FAR too wishywashy with Rich. She wasn't firm or decisive with Rich (as Dan correctly points out to her, about not wanting Rich to call her at home, but on her cellphone instead of not calling her at all), what she was doing was playing hard to get. Laughing at his jokes, wanting to slowdance with him, but at the same time not wanting to go TOO far. That's playing hard to get. "Try just a little harder, and you'll have me."

Dan might have beaten up Rich, and that very well might have Rich leave Kat alone, but that leaves Kat out of the equation. If she wants to play, she'll play. If not with Rich, then with other aggressive men.

With the recordings, Dan could easily have asked her why she giggled at Rich wanting to do it again with her. He could've called her out on her lying about NOT wanting to be called. Giggling at Rich's jokes isn't exactly not wanting him to call...

No, this gal wants to cheat, she had already lied to her husband about lunchdates with her ex, and leading the guy on. Like the others, I foresee a rather dark future for their marriage. I would not be surprised at all if Dan found Kat frenchkissing some guy at a bar later on.

jasonnhjasonnhabout 12 years ago
Marriage is supposed to be a partnership

If Kat was in The Alamo she would have been handing out rifles to the Mexicans. She was lying and hiding her actions with a guy who Dan had clearly said he did not like and was trouble. While I might buy Kat being stupid and not thinking about Rich trying to seduce her (she later admits that Rich was clearly trying to get her into bed) after Dan points it out she has NO excuse. Yet she continues. That is disrespectful and looking for trouble. Obviously Dan had no problem with other guys respectfully dancing with Kat and would not have had a problem with lunch with an old guy friend, as long as everything was open and above board. But sneaking around with a guy your husband warns you about? That would destroy my trust in my wife. Beating up Rich doesn't solve the problem because the world is full of assholes. The problem was with his wife and he didn't solve it. Wow, she came clean about her history with Rich which Dan already had an idea about anyway. And why should he care about her past? Kat gave no recognition of her betrayal and cruel treatment of her husband or made any apology for it. I'm glad Dan is happy and clueless. Until the next asshole comes along. I'm not saying the "bitch" needs to be burned but she sure needs to be educated about loyalty to your spouse.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 12 years ago
I think

That had not hubby spied on her the rich guy eventually would have gotten her in bed.All she had to do was tell hubby he was hitting on her and he could trust her,but she continues to talk to him.When he records her she doesn't tell him to not call at all she tells him not to call at home implying she wants to talk to him.The ending sounds great but I suspect a toad like bob would redouble his efforts to get her to put one over on hubby for beating him up and the wife doesn't strike me as telling him to stay away,the logic doesn't add up.

AbsalomrideAbsalomrideabout 12 years ago
Great story, that's lean and mean writing.

Listen if you kick a guy's ass for chasing your wife he will leave her alone. He may come after you that's for sure, but every time he thinks of your women he's gonna remember the humiliation of getting stomped, and that's emasculating.

So you gotta get the beating down to a T. because you go OTT then you're the one in big trouble. Magmaman got it spot on. He also left us to chew over what the goddamn wife is worth, and there we'll all never agree.

To me it smells like could be a deeper malaise in the fabric of this relationship. He better keep a eye wide open. Good storry and comments from all. I liked witless and jasonn's comments especially.

Thankyou M. Five stars.

nakdsubnakdsubabout 12 years ago
Some people you can't please...

I think this was great. Simple but right to the point. This wife had no intention of having an affair, but we had snidely whiplash who was going to keep trying.

A lot of people say violence never solves anything. They're wrong, sometimes violence is the only solution.

You got a 5 from me.

chytownchytownabout 12 years ago
I Like!!!!!!!

This story very entertaining and fun read. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

should have beat the wife's ass for lying to him and let her know the next time she danced with someone he didn't it would bedivorce court

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 12 years ago
trashing the recorder

I liked the part about openly tossing the recorder. Asshole will never trespass there again. Bullies are the easiest to bully, and Sweety finally has her eyes wide open about AH and, more importantly, about her husband. 5*

PultoyPultoyabout 12 years ago
That is a good story...

...Thanks for writing it.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 12 years ago
Never Trust a Man in a Little Red Corvette !

A guy sniffing after a man's wife deserves what he gets. The wife was hard to pin down per se. After her experience with Rich, & the narrator telling her in no uncertain terms about his antipathy towards Rich. She should have cut the wannabe Lothario off at the pass.

The secrecy & deception troubles me, there's a chasm between husband & wife that in my mind didn't get resolved by the ribbon & bow ' happy again ' conclusion. How big is the void ? I'm not sure. Maybe the author would explore that potential in the future . Yet it must be acknowledged this was a brisk, snappy read from the get-go & right to the end. I thank MGM for the entertainment.

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
BETTER THAN EVER

and its still me. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Well done, author!

Kudo's

brujaybrujayabout 12 years ago
Sweet Little Story................

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Ignore the silly comments...

...because some people have a hard time accepting a story written with the author's vision - no matter how "flawed" they think it may be. Sure, it's fair to criticise the decision or actions a character makes but it's ridiculous to trash the story because it doesn't play out to a tune which should satisfy every reader.

Critics should stick to multiple ending stories...

StangStar06StangStar06about 12 years ago
Good story M man

It was short, sweet and to the point.

DunaDunaabout 12 years ago
5 stars

@ Nakdsub You are right, sometime the not serious violance needs. The violance was on mild level and the husband was not threated by prison for a old bully. The wife did not cheat at all. Many women could apreciate a good man to a predator as Kat does. This is a very good Cruel Revenge story, so I copy here my some sentences:

. The ancestor of all revenge stories the "Poor Man Of Nippur", which was found 3500 years ago in Akkadian, but the archeologists think it is older story and origins from Sumerian. The story is without marriage plot.

The marriage and fidelity is in a revenge story plot, that is the Beaumarchais/ Da Ponte/ Mozart "Marriage of Figaro" Opera (before Comedia).

RePhilRePhilabout 12 years ago
Perfect snap shot

Of a husband with his junk intact

x_JohnDoe_xx_JohnDoe_xabout 12 years ago

Good story. The husband took the action most husbands would take, I hope things really did work out for these hopefully fictional characters.

magmamanmagmamanabout 12 years agoAuthor
There was a time...

...When the negative comments bothered this old man. (They still do, no point is saying otherwise.) But I see from reading all of them that the majority are not cursed by demons like some are.

I was somewhat surprised that this short piece got any reaction at all.

Why would a wife keep something like an almost forgotten old flame pestering her from her mate? Mild emotions renewed by a few simple dances?

Easy to see, partial fear of an old and somewhat shameful moment coming to light, partially fear of the larger man harming her husband like she knew very well he had done before. Especially since she was completely aware of what her husband's reaction might be?

At the same time, that mild enjoyment at being noticed, something common to the human race.

A lunch, surrounded with the protection of old friends? Harmless on it's face. Still, that broke the vow of trust, didn't it? Were the old friends the excuse to see the man, or was the man the excuse to see the old friend?

Then the shame of the husband who did break the vow of trust himself? Human failings, we all bear those. Thus this is a simple little story of two people struggling with how to communicate.

The husband could have simply asked his wife to tell him about the man he disliked.

Yet he had no knowledge of before, thus no real question to ask. Would she have then avoided the telling, perhaps lied? That would have broken the trust. Still, saying nothing can be the same as a lie, just like..spying on one's mate.

So at the end, I give you the hint of a reestablishment of trust. Can they?

Perhaps. No sequel, none needed.

Thanks,

MGM

PultoyPultoyabout 12 years ago
I liked it

Good and strong, proactive hero, protecting what he had from all comers. Things were black and white, no gray areas with him.

Thanks for the great effort and for writing it.

Regards,

Pultoy

njlaurennjlaurenabout 12 years ago

Magnaman-

The reason this little story got so many comments is it hit something in people, it was well written and struck a chord and that is the sign of good writing, people cared about it enough to comment. I gave this one 5 stars because it is so well written.

As far as my comment about the wife would eventually have cheated, it isn't because she didn't tell her husband (okay, I'll nod my head that maybe she wanted to protect him), but from one line in the story (and I would love to hear your response on this one,magna). If Kat didn't harbor some feelings for sleaze ball, why when he called the house did she tell him "Don't call me here" rather then saying "don't call me, I don't want to talk to you". It is obvious she is harboring feelings for him and while she has been honorable, my thought is if her husband hadn't had discovered the guy trying to seduce her, if she kept talking to him, what would happen? Kat can't figure out what to do (hello, you can block calls on a cell phone)? More importantly, she is willing to see him for 'old times sake' even though she knows he wants in her pants, is openly trying to seduce her, she knows he is a philanderer and she claims she talks to him because she doesn't know what to do? She obviously has feelings for him, though now she knows that her husband has definitively put a stop to it, and that ends it..but would it have if he hadn't discovered what was going on? The beauty of the writing is that Magna has a clean ending, but one that still leaves room for 'what if' and so forth, by not making the answers totally cut and dried, maybe 90% so:)

For those who accuse Bob of not trusting his wife, of breaching the trust, by recording the line, he did so with cause, he wasn't some paranoid jerk, he had reason to believe, knowing the jerk this guy was, what might happen.he doesn't know what scum ball is like?

magmamanmagmamanabout 12 years agoAuthor
Response: njlauren

I did stop when I got to the line, "Don't call me..." ,,to think. Then I added the word "here" deliberately. Nice catch on that, BTW.

Yes, she was enjoying the attention, and that should be clear, even as she protested of being married. The cell phone, a private place, secret and safer? Thus as some note, the lady bears guilt.

My idea was..a past one time lover? The painful part forgotten, the good parts remembered. A wealthy and powerful man to boot? Offering attention which Kat enjoyed, obvious from the text, and noticed by the husband.

Thus the suspicion.

A "not quite" relationship, in the budding stages but not yet completed, a wife with thoughts of "what if?". A 12 year marriage, slipping into boredom, older age fast approaching?

The inhibition of a husband combined with concern over him not being aware of the indescretion before they even met? A secret kept, each and every one of us has secrets.

I did not say all of that, to me there is no point. I like to try and make the reader think.

You do, that is a compliment.

I do like to dig into the mental of life, yet trying to get that deep on a site like this? I would have to be insane.

But then...lol....Some have accused.

What the hell, I like the comments. It means I did my job.

Thanks,

MGM

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 12 years ago
A primer for short story writing.

This was very well done. It was set up easily and ended satisfactorily. Read this and learn how a short story should be written. Great job.

count2threecount2threeabout 12 years ago
OK Story (sorry but there isnt much to rave about)

Honestly, he doesn't even have the balls to tell his wife: "Honey, that prick harrassed me all through high scholl, I dont want you to dance with him, i don't want you to talk to him and I dont want you to look at him"

Regarding the long distance pride of the 'hero': LoL. Nobody who does a serious sport like football can outrun one of those long distance sissies. Those sissies can get away with having no short fiber muscles, hell with no upper body muscles at all. Thats like saying a fucking prius can run farther with a gallon of gas than a mustang and is therefore the better car.

(Not that I am anywhere on Richs side, the guy is simply a prick end of story)

x_witless_xx_witless_xabout 12 years ago
Countto three you saying this guy should go crying to his wife like the whining fucking pussy you think he should be??

" baby don't talk to this guy he scares my fucking panties off!"

Yuh, she would real respect him for that. Don't try and write the story you want so fucking vicariously. As another comment says - we aint all the big guy...sometimes we got to wait for our goliath moment.

DunaDunaabout 12 years ago
Author you are right

My friend has an excellent way of saying to his wife: I woved faithfulness but blindness. Everybody may be small secrets in a marriage. Let us imagine a man whose sexual fantasy is the sexual cannibalism. He is good husband, good lover (this sexual fantasy assisting with his wife...) and good parent. Should he tell his secret to his wife????????????? Next example a oversexed woman collegue in the work wants somthing with you, but you avoid her you will tell your wife this ????????????

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichabout 12 years ago
A nice fast paced and smooth flowing short story.

Non-erotic but an interesting read.

A bit of "the good guy wins" and a happy ending.

Thanks for the read

robinhodrobinhodabout 12 years ago
The best stories

create a copious response. Obviously this was one of the best. The responses are, in the main, well argued (there are always idiots on this site), and some valid points made.

My major enjoyment though, was given by the author's comments on the comments.

In sports terms I'd rate it Author 10 to Comments 1 (for effort).

LynnMckLynnMckabout 12 years ago
Magma is BAAAACK!

Good story, as is usual for Magma. All this crap about "should have divorced her" pt "beat the crap out of her" and similar is more fictional than the story. If you act that way you will end up very lonely, in jail, or insane. Also the man was NOT cuckolded, it happened before they ever got together! Do I think the wife acted correctly: hell no. Would I have snooped: yes.

People are not perfect, ever!! That is the human condition. Would I have left her after that incident: no. Would I accept that kind of action again: no. Would I ever trust her completely: no (but then I never would have anyway, people are people.) Would I try for revenge, or would I make major changes in my part of the relationship: no. I am comitted to being the best me I can be, and that does not depend on what other people do. I just try to take it a day at a time and try to maximize each day.

Hell! I am 70 and ill. I may not have many days and they aren't going to be made better by reacting to what MIGHT be going on inside somebody else's head.

Good story Magma but I don't like developing the dark side. I guess it is because you write so well that I get into the story and feel it is my wife doing that! She has her faults but she also has a whole lot of assets. This is a second marriage and has lasted 35 years so far. She is even sicker than I am, and I have pretty much lost her already. It hasn't been perfect, but it's been damned good. Thanks again

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Gave you 3 stars, as in, 'Liked It"...

...but I didn't love it.

All's well that ends well, hey?

But the truth be told, he just destroyed Rich's chances before she fell to the bastard.

She reprimanded Rich, but with a giggle. She deleted the calls. She went to lunch with them... all of this behind her husband's back, and that was no accident. What she did was betray his trust.

She was headed downhill fast, and if Dan had not taken action, Kat would have succumbed. She was flirting. She was titillated by Rich's attention and smooth manner.

It's the trust that is the real issue in marriage. The knowledge that your partner's got your back. She didn't have his back, she was stabbing it.

Still, he averted disaster and accepted the outcome, and Rich got what he deserved.

mitchfrenmitchfrenover 11 years ago
realistic story

realistic characters, realistic emotions and motives. What more can we ask for?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Good story

She will cheat

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I agree

It's just a matter of time for her to cheat with someone else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Excellent tale.

Not erotic but well written and believable. Worth a "5".

monkcalmmonkcalmabout 11 years ago
pity him

pity him she is a cheater, ehh but find one in real life or fiction that doesn't under 30 haha

OneShotOneOneShotOnealmost 11 years ago
She lied to him

and hid things from him not a good basis for a future. What is it with stories like these in which young healthy women with no kids don't work? I know no working class couples like that. Also this women who was apparently popular in school had no freinds? Only her mother. Seems strange.

norcal62norcal62over 10 years ago
Nothing was resolved between the spouses.

Another tale about dishonesty, lack of communication and lack of respect from wife.

JounarJounarover 10 years ago
zero trust left

After wifeys dishonesty by deleting the calls, sneaking around for lunches behind his back and lying to her him time and time again, how could hubby ever trust her again.

krosis666krosis666over 10 years ago
Cheaters

Should be burned at the stake. She would have fucked him if she wasn't caught going behind her husband's back. Intentionally dancing with a scumbag that she knew her husband didn't like, knowing how he felt about that, and staying for 4 slow and up close dances, then having him secretly call around when hubby is at work, taking secret phone calls and hiding the evidence, even giving him her private cell number, and having secret lunch dates. She is a cheater in the making, and not to be trusted.

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
On her way

To cheating, she was wading into an affair and if it wasn't for her husband catching her she would have gone through with it! Who needs that for a wife?! A dumb selfish lying slut!? It is a matter of time before she fucks up in one way or another.

IronDragonIronDragonover 10 years ago
Good to see.

Good to see one of your Hubby characters who isn't a wimp. However, I agree with some others here that she would have cheated if he hadn't caught on. He nipped it in the bud as soon as he found out. That's a good thing, but what happens the next time some Asshole hits on Wifey and Wifey doesn't push him away? If Hubby doesn't figure it out in time, there goes Wifey off to Slutville.

Still 5 Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Psychic Commentators!

Hey, you know, I think IronDragon is exactly right, the wife may not have cheated in this story but she definitely "would have" cheated if the story had been entirely different, so like, man, you know she's really a slut, like, they're all the same, you know, they would all cheat in some other reality if they were different people so all women are dirt, right?

tae352001tae352001about 10 years ago
Excellent story

Sadly, one story should not conclude Kat will cheat. However, this is the one story that one can say for almost certain Kat would have cheated. There was a communication break down, more important a complete break down of respect. Kat clearly did not respect Danny. The dance? maybe old fashioned, but a married woman at a club with her husband, I am sorry but all dances are reserved for the husband, no man should have been given any time or consideration. Kat knew better but neglected. Final, the truth and honesty of the relationship, deleting any messages from another man is totally unacceptable. For all these questionable actions I cannot see the marriage lasting or see Kat being faithful much longer.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanalmost 10 years ago
Too inconsistent

Page 1: I am sure my complete lack of experience showed, and when we were finally both naked on top of her soft bed she asked me to take it slow because she was concerned that it might hurt.

Then page 2:

"You haven't told me about all the girls you have been with. Besides, all of that was before, now it's just you and me."

and

I did soften my tone, since she was correct. I had my own share of experiments with sexuality while growing up, not a lot and all insignificant.

The two are mutually inconsistent.

krosis666krosis666almost 10 years ago
"What was I supposed to do? Be rude?"

As supposed to being rude to your own husband in public, and abandoning him for half the night while some other guy feels you up? If she doesn't know the answer to thst question, then she doesn't deserve to be married. Dancing is an intimate and sensual act that is socially acceptable in public, that's why people do it. It is a means to show affection and closeness in public, that's why it's so much fun. It is a safe way to be intimate with other people around. It's almost like sex with your clothes on, and everybody knows it, which is why no married person should EVER dance with anyone but their partner. To do that is to signal your availability to new partners.

And that complete lack of respect and contempt came BEFORE she started cheating! And she WAS cheating! Secret phone calls, flirting, secret dates, lying about it; all cheating. He had the phone calls recorded. She never actually told Rich to leave her alone, in fact, she flirted relentlessly to keep him interested! Not a wife to be trusted. She was a few short steps from fucking that guy, and they both knew it. She will eventually do it again.

krosis666krosis666almost 10 years ago
Also

To those that say; 'What's the problem, she slept with him before they met'; I say; no one is questioning that. The past is the past, as long as it stays there. What most people are giving out about is the affair she is having now, and it IS an emotional affair! She wants this. She was NOT trying to protect what she perceived to be her weak husband, because if she REALLY wanted to protect him, all she had to do was ignore and avoid completely her would be suitor. She went to that lunch to see and be with Rich. If it was all above board, why not tell her husband? Why the secrecy? If she was telling the truth about wanting to see her old friends, it's not that difficult to arrange to see them anytime. After all, they had no tie to Rich. I'm sure seeing them would not be contingent on Rich being present. And even, if for some strange reason is was, why sit so closely, why not bring her husband along and introduce her old friends?

The most telling thing was at the beginning, in the description of how well this married couple knew each other, and that being the reason hubby knew something was wrong. No one is married for 12 years without knowing the others facial expressions and body language, without being able to tell when the other is upset or off. Hubby saw it instantly. So, unless she was completely self absorbed or blind for 12 years, she MUST have been able to read her husband in the same way. Even more so, since women are better at reading body language. Therefore, she MUST have seen how hurt her husband was when she openly flirted with Rich at the dance, and she chose to ignore his feelings entirely. She wasn't clueless, she was plain selfish.

And does anyone really believe that any committee would just blindly pass out personal information like mobile phone numbers, what with the amount of fraud out there? Of course not, because they would be open to liability if something happened. So, obviously SHE gave Rich her phone number, in order to keep her secret.

Would she have slept with him? If she thought for obe second that she would get away with it, you bet your ass she would.

And as to him spying on her? As soon as he knew she was deceiving and lying to him, as soon as he realized she was seeing her old boyfriend behind his back, he was perfectly entitled to take measures to discover the truth. Which was the bigger breach of trust? A man fighting to keep his marriage, or a woman desperately trying to conceal an affair she helped instigate?

impo_58impo_58almost 10 years ago
She lied...

She lied, and after the lie comes the cheating...He stop it in time...

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
LIES!

She was wrong the minute she let him in the house when her husband wasn't home.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
great story...

yep she should not have let him in the house... my wife and I have gone around on this before... still searching for the right answers...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excellent!

I had something similar happen to me after my wife and I were married for about 10 years. I was a logger and she was waiting tables at the local café. She came to ME one evening after I got home and she couldn't wait to tell me how two truck drivers, one of whom hauled logs from our side (tower) had been propositioning her and it had finally went on long enough. She said they kept telling her how they wanted her to be the center of an oreo cookie and they'd show her things she'd never dreamed of.

I was young, about 30 years old and we had two kids in grade school. The next morning, I was chasing on the landing where logging truck back in to be loaded. As soon as he got out of his truck I was on him. He was probably in his late 40's at the time but I let him know in no uncertain terms if he bothered my wife even one more time, I'd kill him right there on the landing and make it look like an accident. Thankfully, he understood it to be what it was, an actual promise. I was just young enough to have followed through on my threat.

Though I never told anyone else on the landing what was going on, the shovel operator and the tower operator knew something big had happened. I'm guessing both our faces explained it. I never told them but after a few days I had to talk with the owner, my father in law! He finally drug it out of me and though he was very passive, understood I meant to kill the guy. No one bothers my wife. To keep peace, he fired the truck driver and made certain neither of the two men came anywhere near our site. He must have blackballed them with the local companies, they both ended up having to move away to find work.

I had the same conversation with the other fella before he left and when we parted, he understood he was living on borrowed time if he ever even looked in my wifes direction. At the time, my wife was about 5'3" and 125lbs, cute as a button! I was so grateful she came directly to me and let me know she was being harassed.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Still don't think she would forgive him

For snooping. Breaking her trust. Just ruins a marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
there is no privacy in marriage.

Reading the last comment makes it clear that some people have no concept of what a marriage is supposed to be. There is no privacy in marriage. You share money, expenses, your emotions and your bodies.

A husband has exclusive access to a woman's most secret place and he enters her body so that the two become one. Yet he is not supposed to go in her purse? If one gets upset about a spouse violating their privacy, that person has something to hide. There are no lies or half truths in marriage, at least not in a good one. If you're married and trying to have privacy, then you're a divorce waiting to happen.

This story was very well written and highlights what lack of honesty can do to a married couple.

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
@ there is no privacy in marriage.

I agree 100%. The concept that two become one, that the wife's body belongs to the husband and the husband's body belongs to the wife is thousands of years old. The perverts that say otherwise are fucked up people with fucked up lives that will be fucked up to the end of time. Honesty, loyalty and trust is the only way to go. In this case, she was not honest with her husband. She lied by omission and cheated on him by stealing time from their marriage. Fortunately, it was not an affair, only a flirtation. She is lucky he gave her a chance to work through it. She showed she was capable of deceiving him, if he hadn't have been vigilant she would have kept going. I don't know if she is worth future investment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
About time I read a good story on this site.

Better than good, actually. LOL.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Thoughts

“you are supposed to just ask and get an honest answer.” – Yes, but it’s obvious he’s NOT getting honest answers!

“The word "again" was almost a shock.” – The “again” was obviously referring back to high school.

If she wasn’t sneaking around he wouldn’t have to snoop on her!

If she’s serious about having nothing to do with Rich, then she tells him she won’t see him unless her husband is there also.

The fact that she had sex with Rich in the past shouldn’t bother him, but she has to stop seeing Rich behind his back, and tell him the next time he propositions her will be the LAST time she speaks to him, and STICK TO IT!!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 8 years ago
Nice

It's called taking care of business. The wife didn't cheat and was being stalked by the asshole. So our brave husband took it upon himself and that was that. Excellent!

StormKing33StormKing33over 7 years ago
Its a rare story about...

A husband being a real man and beating the crap out of someone trying to seduce his wife. You are not like most authors..the husband character is aggressive early on. Not oblivious, wimpy, crying, wimp. 5* for being a breath of fresh air.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
SHE IS A CHEATER WALKING

Going by your story, she's a cheater in waiting! Remember 80% of women cheat at sometime in your relationship with another person! Sobering isn't it? So if you go to a party and your wife and her friends, out of every 10 women there 8 are cheaters! THE ODDS YOUR MISSUS IS ONE OF THEM ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU? Story is Fantastic! Love you all! GREG. OH 80 % for the cheaters 20% for the rest of us 100 % OF READING ENJOYMENT BYE

fisheronefisheronealmost 7 years ago
Problem identified

My first problem with Kat is that a wife doesn't go dance with a former and lover for 3 dances in a row. She was on a date with her husband and should have blown Rich off. Then she invited him into her home knowing husband had a bad history with him. Then the secrets and lies like erasing caller ID. If Rich had cell number why did he take a chance calling home first several times? I am glad he was a husband with morals and willing to show Rich he wasn't scared. I think Kat would have cheated eventually but husband identified problem. It was a good ending and very enjoyable read.

xtchrxtchrover 6 years ago
Interesting Story!

Wow, this is a story that required some thinking. This husband did nothing wrong in checking up on his wife. She was the one lying and hiding things from the husband. She was the one that was rationalizing her reasons for not telling him. How long before she comes up with some more rationalizations for screwing the guy. The husband was definitely proactive and got the guy to stop. BUT it should have been the wife that stopped the guy. Reading some of the other comments that suggested that this wife will cheat, I might have to agree. I would not have much faith in this marriage when only the husband is working on it. Thank you for a very interesting story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
About fricken time the good guy wins.

That asshole would only understand one thing. A good ass kicking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
different

I really enjoyed that story.

nudesailing@yahoo.com

Denny CraneDenny Craneabout 6 years ago
Nice....

No elaborate plans of revenge to take the guy down, or waiting to see if your wife gets seduced. Just a good old-fashioned ass-kicking up front to nip that shit in the bud.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Ok...

You write ok.

HomefrontWitnessHomefrontWitnessover 5 years ago
Sequel

Cowardly little shit like that would press charges, husband goes to prison for assault, cowardly little shit has months or years to work on getting the giggling dipshit of a wife into his bed (from her reactions to him it would take days, "But I just felt so bad for him after what you did to him!" etc.).

Tough guy stories are so dull, especially when the guy they beat up is a little weasel. Little weasels press charges. Little weasels sue with expensive lawyers they pay with their daddy's money. Dumb fucking story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
secret lunch dates? Secret calls and now since he beat him up they are all back to normal?

That makes him pretty stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well on the way

To a full blown affair, if hubby hadn't stepped in. She wanted him. And he was going to get her. She knew where they were headed, thats why she kept it secret. Telling him to not call her at home, (instead of just telling him to not call), was her way of leaving the door open to further secret contact. Allowing him into her home, when her husband was away, and then keeping it secret, told the whole story. She wanted him, and after a suitable chase, was intent on letting him catch her. Hubby's decisive action was the only thing that stopped her. She needs to be watched, closely, in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Just a great story

Some of the comments here are weird. But then again, this is LW.

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldabout 5 years ago
So well done ...

Tight. Direct. The characters act like regular people. The conflict feels real. I liked this a lot. Exactly what a short story should be. 5*

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
That was good

Really good.story. I love a happy ending , especially when an arrogant bastard gets his ass kicked. This story has both.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 5 years ago
I liked that.

That was fun. She could have enjoyed his attention less, but in the end she was a faithful wife and he got his confidence back. Good story.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 5 years ago
He

needs a new wife.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Good short story...

...5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

ColdCountryColdCountryabout 4 years ago
I don't like her deception.

She wasn't being honest about the situation, even if she wasn't doing anything physical with him. She got sucked into his game. Marriage counseling at minimum.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I Agree With This Statement

"The truth there is that before does not matter, it is only after that does." The problem being after he came back and found the dipshit in his seat moving in on his wife and her going for it. I wouldn't have removed the recorder, I'd have moved it and hidden it better. She was hiding, lying, getting ready to give it up, it wouldn't have been long but she would have felt guilty for a little while. As the man said "Trust but verify." Signed: BTW

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleover 3 years ago
I voted this one on it's content.

Alright, he beat the guy in the end, and reclaimed his wife.

However, before the showdown, it was a different story.

If it had not been for his instinctive reaction, and placing the recorder, things would have continued to slide.

She was being untruthful. She was titillated by his attention, she said the right words, but in the wrong way. She telegraphed pleasure at his attention in her little giggle and reactions.

All in all, if hubby had not cut it all off at the knees, his nemesis would have succeeded.

Do you want a wife who lies by omission? Who actually outright lied, to be honest? Do you want a woman who responds to the attention of some lethario?

She was betraying him, and in the way to greater betrayal.

Sure, the husband and wife could have made it in the end anyway, but for my tastes, the journey back would have been a lot harder.

There is not a lot of strength at the foundation of this couple, fictional or not.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

Nope... you lost me early. Nobody is ever wins the shotput and the high jump. No way. Ever.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
Read again

Another great story to revisit. Running down a Vette with an Impala. That's some good stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

For someone named Rich, has a piss poor Neanderthal brain

nixroxnixroxabout 3 years ago

1 for this story.

Yes, this is a fiction story, but the recurring theme is always the fear of the bully.

The large majority of narcissist bullies out there need to be aware that there are millions of people just like me with the same training and experience. I am over 6' and 200lbs., plus a military trained professional killer.

I have hated bullies my whole life. On more than one occasion I have stepped between a bully and his intended victim. It did not turn out very well for the bullies.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wife should NOT have been keeping things from husband. She needed more of a reminder about that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

It was nothing. It appears Rich Crippen has a 15 second time limit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wife's secrets. Nit cool!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Danny should have asked Kat why she didn't block Rich's number on her cell phone?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wimp.

He lets his wife tell him to his face that she felt the other guy could whip his ass?

She lets the guy call her over and over again.

She lied about saying leave her alone. She let him chase her.

He need to keep the recorder and check her cell phone. No way is this really over.

miket0422miket0422over 1 year ago

All's well that ends well. But, she was wrong for hiding her contacts with Rich.

I knew it would make you mad isn't a good reason to start keeping secrets.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

That’s a bit difficult, nice one

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermagmaman@magmaman
6', 186#, published writer. I have worn many hats. As a young man I was crazy, carefree and making wads of money. Then along came a messed up war and I was cannon fodder. From there I came home even crazier, and survived a 120 MPH crash which got me 15 years in a wheelchair...