Beyond City Lights

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay Ronnie, what do you have in mind that you want my input?"

I didn't stick my toe in the metaphorical water, I waded right in. "Okay, her goes, you're a mechanical engineer and retired from the Air Force, so I'm assuming you know a lot about building things."

"I know quite a lot, yes, what exactly are you talking about?"

"What would it take to make these units so they can be rented year-round without using electric heaters, they can't be very economical and the fire hazard aspect is extremely high. And then there's the hot water issue if you're in the shower more than five minutes the water starts getting cold. Any ideas?"

He looked at me with a grin, "Funny you should bring up that very topic, twelve years ago Mike had me design these cabins to replace the others which were over fifty years old. They all have tubing and four inches of high-density styrene below the tubing for in-floor heating, that's why the floors are polished concrete and not carpet of hardwood."

I was a little confused, "How does that work?"

"The original idea was to put a combo on-demand water heater/ boiler in the utility room adjoining the pairs of cabins to heat the units and provide enough hot water for two showers at the same time. The in-floor piping and manifolds are there, what's needed are the combo units and to connect the piping. The units supply 95 to 100-degree water with a hydronic anti-freeze solution that is piped through the flooring causing it to warm the cabin. Instead of warming air you're heating a huge solid mass that then emits heat."

"Okay that takes care of the heating, what about the domestic hot water?"

"If the unit is calling for heat and there's a demand for domestic the boiler automatically begins to heat water, the boilers I had suggested have a fourteen gallon hot water reserve built in so there's no waiting for the water to heat up. That's what's in the main house, Mike never wanted to make the investment since they closed after hunting season, having the units available through the winter would generate a lot of income. Between the snow mobilers, cross country skiers and the downhill skiers these would be full all winter long once the word got out."

Needless to say, he had my interest, "Are you capable of doing that work? Did you put in the system at the house?"

"I do, the other nice thing about those units is they run at 96% efficiency or better depending on the heat load. With twelve dual cabins you'd need six combo units at about $2300 each plus the piping, pumps, copper for the main loop and any electrical both high and low voltage. You're probably looking at fifteen to seventeen thousand by the time you're done, but with being able to raise the weekly rate to seven hundred a week that's over eight grand a week if all twelve are filled. Even with operating costs and LP you'd still have a payback of less than two years, hard to beat that."

The gears were turning in my head, "Next question. Is it possible to have that done before the cold sets in, after all it's already August.?"

"With the tubing in the floor and connected to the manifolds it would take about three days to install a system, that will give me time to do other things as well. If we figure one a week starting by the end of this month all could be running by the middle of October, I know a young plumber who'll be getting laid off for the winter within the next month, housing is really slow this year, I'm sure I could hire him part time."

"Where do we get these boilers, I can't imagine Home Depot carries something like that."

"They can be ordered online and shipped to the resort, I have a small account at a Plumbing Supply place in Plainview where we can buy the rest. If we pay cash right away they'll give us a five percent discount, do you have the money for something like that?"

I had over one hundred fifty thousand in the bank not tied up and another hundred in a long-term investment. I could do that with no problem at all.

"Yeah, I can do that. Since we're talking money and improvements I'm anxious to hear what you think of my next idea. I want to stop doing the open breakfasts after this year, put up a permanent enclosed structure with a kitchen and have meal programs for the guests, we could serve three meals a day and charge accordingly. The open pavilion can still be used for large groups, we could even rent it for family picnics or reunions."

He sat there watching the fireflies for a few minutes and looked at me, "You're serious aren't you? I mean you really want to make this place work, put some money into it and have a first-class resort. I think you have a great idea, auntie has been feeding people for years, she says it covers itself but that's all it does, no, I think what you're proposing is the way to go."

The bugs were beginning to eat us so we went inside, no matter how much you spray or how many candles and torches you use those damned mosquitos will find their way to you. Getting another cold pop we sat across from each other.

I leaned forward slightly, "You may be surprised by my next idea. I want to change the name, I'm going to call it Comfort Cove. I'll upgrade the cabins, offer year round availability beginning this year and a meal plan beginning in the spring, when all of that is up and running I want to build two more cabins, Mike said there's room for four more on the septic system. My idea is to build a pair of two-bedroom cabins with bunk beds in the second bedroom, just this week alone I heard Georgi turn away bookings because what is here are only one bedroom."

He looked at me with interest, "Just how serious are you about putting up a chow hall and have it available by spring?"

"I'm dead serious Wally, I've thought about it a lot but had no idea who I would turn to up here, with you being an engineer and able to do some of the mechanical stuff I see no reason why it can't be done. I would hire and pay you of course."

"Okay then Ronnie, I'll contact a few people I know this coming week. If that thing is to be done by spring I suggest you get the plumbing in the ground, the in-floor tubing run and have the slab poured by October, it's not likely we can do more than have it dried in by November but then we can work on it through the winter. We'll hire the rough carpentry and the roof, those guys will have the walls up, the roof sheathed, the windows and doors in place and the roof finished within two weeks' time."

Lying in bed my head would not stop thinking of all we'd talked about. Lennie would have been so pleased with my ideas. On Monday all the finances would be settled and I'd have Wally begin ordering what he needed to complete the heating. Having central heat in each cabin and plenty of hot water would ensure the cabins would be full all the time, I was sure of it. I also couldn't rid my mind of how I thought Wally was attractive in his own way, it had been years since I'd found myself having such thoughts.

When I shared all of my ideas with Georgi and Mike they were enthused, things they'd wanted to do for years but weren't sure they would live long enough to ever see a payback, after all they were in their early seventies. They had continued packing over the weekend and were almost ready to head south when we finished up transferring all the accounts and paperwork into my name on Monday. Their new truck wouldn't be ready for another week which meant I got to see them a little longer, something I didn't mind at all.

On Wednesday morning Wally and I sat in the office and bought thirteen thousand dollars' worth of boiler combo's, due to arrive in about two weeks, he also placed orders for the additional items he would need through the plumbing wholesalers. To say I was excited is an understatement, I contacted a sign maker and had them work up a new design for me, once I was satisfied and signed off on the draft they went about making the sign and printing new brochures. I continued working in the office with Georgi the rest of the week, on Monday we began loading their 7 x 18-foot tandem enclosed trailer, Mike figured they would sell it when they reached Arizona.

When the dealership called late Monday to say they could pick up their new truck the next morning the reality of the situation hit hard, they would be leaving Thursday at the latest, very possibly Wednesday. Georgi and I went over last minute things in the office while the guys finished loading the trailer, as Wally lifted the tail door and closed the padlocks just aster six Wednesday evening we knew tears would be shed when they pulled out at six the next morning. Wally and I stood outside the house they had just left waving goodbye.

We both had things to do and went our separate ways, by noon the mandatory items had been taken care of, over lunch in my cabin Wally suggested we start moving my belongings into the main house/office that afternoon. With the office phone forwarded to my cell we set out to accomplish as much as possible before night fall, setting up the bed and getting kitchen items was my priority for the day. Wally would put boxes and other items from the storage area onto a flat wagon behind the tractor, pull it to the house, we would unload and he'd do it all over again. We surprised ourselves by having nearly everything moved by seven that evening.

Neither of us felt like cooking, all the guest's needs were taken care of, I left the phone forwarded and we went into town. Bonnies Diner was still open, by the time we returned it was already eight thirty. Getting out of the shower drying off I looked at myself in a full-length mirror naked for the first time in years, turning sideways I examined myself. I had wider hips than years ago but my waist was still slim, my butt didn't sag and my boobs still looked good, I cupped them and lifted a little to where they'd once been then let go, they didn't sag or droop, they were heavy on the bottom but still proud and firm.

Doing a half turn my full bush was in view, it wasn't big or all across my abdomen, it was almost a perfect V shape and very thick stopping just below what would be the panty line of bikini panties or boy shorts. Lennie loved my bush and said he never wanted to see my pussy looking like a little girl, that suited me fine. As I looked I reached the conclusion that I still had a body that could turn an eye and satisfy a loving man, who that man would be I had no idea as of yet. Wally flashed through my thought process quickly as I ruled him out thinking at his age he probably wasn't looking for anyone to look after.

The lighted Comfort Cove sign went up three days before the boilers were delivered, using the tractor with a front-end loader we got them off the truck and into the workshop. Over the next month Wally worked on the first four cabins using his and the adjoining cabin to learn exactly how he wanted things to go, once that was accomplished the other three went quickly. My mornings were quickly becoming more than one person could handle, by the time I took care of cleaning the cabins and making beds it was time for lunch and the afternoons were spent doing office work most days. I had little time to help Wally or anything else.

My answer to the dilemma came quite by accident while shopping at the grocery store, the girl checking me out and bagging was talking with the girl at the next register who was also bagging while they spoke.

"Are you getting any hours this week?" my gal asked.

"Sixteen, how about you?"

"I'm only getting twelve, how am I supposed to pay for my phone and car insurance on twelve hours? I don't know why mister Williams hired all those new kids? I mean, I was counting on this job to save money after I graduated so I could go to tech next fall. This sucks"

Our little IGA was still one of those that offered to help get your groceries to the car if you wanted, usually it was some young guy but today it was just the two girls checking and no one in line. I looked at her nametag and asked.

"April, would you mind helping with my groceries?" With a nod and a smile she was pushing the cart out the door. I pointed to the left when she signaled me for directions, as I opened the back doors she drew in a breath.

"Wow, this is a nice truck, don't think I ever saw one like this before."

I was trying to put a five-dollar tip in her hand but she kept pulling it away, "We can't take tips, it's against store policy."

I smiled, "The owner will never know and I won't say anything."

Her answer set me on my heels, I had never heard such integrity from a young person before.

"Yeah, maybe so, but I'll know and you'll know and each time we see each other I'll feel guilty. Thanks, but no thanks."

My lightning quick mind told me to see if this girl was looking for full time work. "April, did I hear you say you're out of school? Okay, and are you looking for a job with more hours?"

"Yes ma'am, I thought I'd get more working here now that I've graduated, I've been here since I was sixteen but now he's hired a bunch of new kids and us older ones don't get much for hours."

It was time to go out on a limb, "Do you have reliable transportation April?"

"I do, I have a car, mom and dad have me on their car insurance but I'm expected to pay my portion every month and my phone bill. I've had to dip into my savings twice and there isn't a lot to draw from anymore. I don't know what I'll do."

"Do you work tomorrow morning?" She shook her head no. "Would you be willing to come out to Comfort Cove tomorrow by eight, I might have a job for you."

Her face lit up, "Yes ma'am, I'll be there for sure. What should I wear?"

"Something casual and comfortable, something to work in and not care if it gets dirty. Jeans and a shirt are what I usually wear. See you at eight."

At seven forty five I watched as a little red Honda Fit drove up the driveway, coming to a stop twenty feet from me, it was a nice looking car, no rust at all, when I peeked inside it wasn't littered with pop bottles, candy wrappers and other debris, everything looked nice and tidy. After greeting her I inquired about the car.

"That's great looking car, isn't that a fairly new model, like five or six years?"

"Yes, it's five years old, it was a graduation present from my Granny, her eyes are so bad she can't drive anymore and she didn't want it sitting in the garage. You could say I'm thoroughly blessed."

Hmmm, I was raised in a Christian home and often heard that phrase, it brought back good memories. We spent the next hour going through the first two cabins, she was a natural, detailed, very tidy and neat, worked hard without grumbling or complaining before she even knew what I was going to pay her for the morning. By the third cabin she told me she thought she was ready to do the remaining four occupied on her own. I checked in on her just before lunch, she had two more to go and she would be done, telling her lunch would be ready in ten and where to be I headed for the office.

She met Wally at lunch, he knew her dad and his brothers, they talked about people and things I'd never heard of. I was walking toward where Wally was working when she came out of the last cabin. She looked tired but happy at the same time.

"I'm done ma'am, do you wanna look?"

"Sure, let's take a look." Everything was as if I'd done them myself. "April, would you like to work for me full time? It's a Monday through Saturday position, I'll pay you twelve an hour to start, you'll be paid an eight hour day minimum whether you're done in six or seven, I don't care as long as it remains the same quality I see now. If I ask you to work beyond the normal eight you will continue being paid at twelve an hour. Any questions?"

She was beaming with what seemed to be joy, "Yes ma'am, when do I start? I'm not scheduled to work for another three days, that will give mister Timms plenty of time to re-schedule someone else."

"How about tomorrow? Oh, one more thing, please call me Ronnie and not ma'am."

She started to thank me, "Yes ma', yes I'll call you Ronnie even if it seems strange, you're an adult and all."

I told her I'd see her bright and early, then got lost in my mind. So, she says I'm an adult and all, I didn't think I was that old, then again to someone almost twenty years younger than you I suppose I was old. Just not old ... old ... know what I mean? April fit in like a glove, she laughed with us, ate with us, worked hard enough that I was ready to raise her wages to fourteen an hour once her sixty-day probation was through. By the end of September Wally had three of the boiler projects done with the fourth scheduled to be finished by the following week.

That worked out perfectly as we began getting calls from the deer bow hunters and the bird hunters, in three days I had every cabin booked, the three that were done were solid through the last part of November, mostly gun deer hunters. The last cabin was booked from the middle of October on. We had developed a website and were advertising there heavily, it was paying off, we had winter bookings well into January, in fact we had one family that wanted four cabins over the Christmas holidays.

By the end of October the slab for the new dining area/pavilion hall had been poured, the rough-in carpenters were scheduled to start construction by the second week on November, Wally found one who guaranteed his crews weren't going to pull off for deer hunting. By the time deer hunting season was over the new facility was completely dried in including windows and doors, the roof was finished and the electrical was nearly roughed in waiting for inspection. April was now making fourteen an hour and I had hired another girl part time to help when all the cabins were full.

They heated up the panel in the new building (they brought power to the panel) on December seventh, we could now string temporary lights which were needed considering it was already getting dark by late afternoon. Wally had spent all his time during November when the building being roughed getting the camp winterized, the two of us worked together nearly every day, the worst one being the day the docks had to come out.

Never ever had my body experienced such shock as when I waded into that fifty some degree water and it touched between my legs, I tensed, my nipples immediately hardened, my toes curled and I almost lost my breath. Wally chuckled a bit.

"Cold aint it? As bad as it is for you, I have certain appendages that don't like it either, in fact my testicles are so far inside my body I don't know if I'll ever find them again. Come on, let's get this done, next year we do this in October, screw the fall fishermen, they can launch from shore."

As soon as we were out of the water Wally wrapped a large blanket around me rubbing my shoulders trying to warm me, it felt good, I felt safe, something I felt was that I was growing to like him more and more. We'd been circling each other for weeks now, certain glances, bumping into or grazing against one another, there was nothing sexual about it and yet there was, I was falling for this guy and deep down within I somehow felt as though I was betraying Lennie.

I hadn't been back to the city since I'd moved, there were frequent phone calls but it isn't the same as being in person. Uncle Al's wife invited me to their house for Christmas, all the kids and grands would be home and she wanted me to a part of it. Julia and I had always gotten along from the beginning, she never showed any misgivings about our mixed marriage, to bad I can't say that for everyone, one of Lennie's brothers was downright mean to me at times. Thankfully he wasn't invited.

With Wally and April in charge I made the long trip back to Indianapolis, all were happy to see me, Uncle Al held me at arm's length and declared. "Girl, you lost some weight and those arms are solid. What you been doin, cuttin trees?"