Big Johnson Trucking Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She broke the kiss and pulled back from him, her hands still cupping his cheeks. "I'll see you later?" She whispered. He absently nodded his head as his left hand covered her right hand on his cheek. She kissed him again before pulling back and walking away. His hand didn't leave hers until she was too far away for it to still be held. His heart hammered in his chest as she turned and smiled at him, getting in her car and driving away.

He got up and walked back to the house in a daze. What had he just done? He sat on the steps of the porch as he tried to process what just happened. Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. For a moment; the briefest of wonderful moments, Skylar was in his arms again. For a fraction of a second, time had stopped and the veil between life and death had been pulled back. He had held her in his arms! He had gotten to kiss her one last time!! He had told her to be safe. The tears started flowing freely down his cheeks as he leaned against the railing. However, these were different tears. These tears weren't born out of grief and misery. No, these tears were tears of healing; tears of peace. In a way he would never truly be able to understand, he had finally gotten to say goodbye. And in that moment, the wall around his heart cracked.

He wiped his face and went inside. He called the local furniture store to order a queen size bed for Jasmine's room and have it delivered later that evening. He made sure to have them add sheets and pillows. Since he had some time to kill, he decided to do his weekly check-in on his drivers to see how they were doing.

At around five that evening, Lance and Jasmine arrived and Rig had to show Lance where to back up by the back door so they could unload Jasmine's belongings and take them straight to her room. Lance whistled when he got a good look at her room.

"Now that's talent." Lance admired. "Jaz told me what happened to your wife. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks," Rig said. "I appreciate it. I'm making dinner tonight if you want to hang around."

"Sure," Lance answered.

Jasmine lumbered into the room with the last of her stuff. They shared a knowing smile before she piped up, "You cook, too?" She looked surprised as she set a couple of small boxes down. The bed hadn't arrived yet so Rig had to make sure they kept a clear path to where Jasmine wanted it. "Will wonders never cease," she stated, coyly.

"How does Shrimp Linguine Alfredo with garlic bread sound?" He inquired. "I've got some tofu for you, Jasmine, that I'm going to fry up to add to yours. Gotta have protein."

"That sounds delicious." Lance and Jasmine echoed.

"Awesome. Then, maybe after dinner, you both can tell me where Rebecca is and why she isn't here," Rig said, a note of finality in his voice.

Lance and Jasmine looked at each other then sighed collectively. "I-I can do that," Lance stated, hesitantly.

"Good," Rig said. "The bed should be here between six and six-thirty. I'll get started on dinner and let you know when it's done."

"Can I help?" Jasmine asked, a flirty look flashed in her eyes briefly before her father saw it.

"Don't you want to spend time with your father?" Rig queried. "It's been a while since you saw him last, right?"

"True. However, I haven't gotten a chance to cook in ages and I'd really like to help." Her gaze turned pleading.

Rig looked to Lance. Lance held his hands up in defeat. "Hey, don't look at me," he said. "She's a grown woman now. Besides, I can still visit her while you two cook."

"Ok, then," Rig said in acquiescence. "Follow me, young Padawan. Let's teach you how to make homemade Alfredo sauce." Jasmine's face lit up like a Christmas Tree.

They all arrived in the kitchen and Lance watched while Rig gathered the ingredients needed for the sauce. Lance noticed the lack of a table and was about to say something when Rig, seeing Lance's expression, explained. "It's just been me so I usually eat in my office. The living room will do fine."

He instructed Jasmine to fill a pot with water and add a little salt and olive oil then put it on the back burner to start boiling. He grabbed a large skillet and, turning the burner on medium-low, he put the skillet on the burner. Once the skillet heated up he added butter and heavy whipping cream. He let that simmer for a couple of minutes while he added the pasta to the pot. Once the butter melted he started whisking it together as he added minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Next, he added freshly grated Parmesan cheese and whisked until it melted. He made sure it was all mixed together then put the pan on the back burner on low heat while he grabbed a couple of spoons and handed one each to Jasmine and Lance. As they tasted the sauce, he grabbed another couple of medium skillets and placed them on the front burner as he looked at Jasmine. They both seem to melt at the flavor.

"I've changed my mind," he told her. "Since you're the vegetarian, you're cooking the tofu. Do you know how?" She shook her head. "Well, you're about to learn. The tofu is there and already drained, dried, and diced. I've already set out the amount of garlic powder you'll need to season it with. Just add the garlic then toss lightly to coat it. I use butter to fry with for pasta so add a couple pats of butter to the skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the tofu and toss it in the skillet until the tofu is a golden brown on all sides. Got it?" She nodded and got to work as she and her father chatted back and forth.

For his part, after stirring the pasta, Rig started buttering the bread and put it in the oven. He added garlic to the shrimp then did the same as he told Jasmine to do with the tofu. The only difference was, as soon as the shrimp turned light pink, he pulled it from the skillet and put it in a bowl. He looked over at Jasmine and she was doing the same with her tofu. "It looks perfect." He praised. She blushed proudly. He tested the pasta and, verifying it was done, drained it.

Lance offered to grab plates and silverware so Rig told him where they were. He pulled the bread from the oven as everyone started making their plates and headed to the living room. Rig showed them where the TV trays were while he set his plate down and went back to the kitchen for drinks. "Beer?" He asked. They nodded and he saw Lance raise his eyebrow at Jasmine.

"What?" She asked her dad. "I'll be twenty-one in a couple of weeks. Besides, you're here so it's perfectly legal."

Lance sighed in defeat and nodded at Rig. "The lady would like a beer as well, Rig."

Rig chuckled to himself as he left and returned with three beers. They ate in relative silence, Lance and Jasmine complimenting Rig on the food. As the last bite was taken, Rig sat back and fixed Lance with a hard stare. "Ok. Rebecca. Talk."

Lance sighed nervously. "The short version is she passed away almost four years ago now. Cancer."

Rig sighed and looked at Jasmine. She fixed him with a sad stare that somehow communicated to Rig that there was more to the story, but that she wasn't able to share with Lance here. Rig stood up and started to grab their plates but Jasmine beat him to it. She smiled warmly at him. "The short version will have to do, then," he said. "You heading back home, now, Lance? It's kind of late and that's a hell of a long drive back. My couch is available if you want it."

"Well, I had planned on a turn and burn," Lance said. "But, you're right. It's later than I planned. I was gonna get a hotel, but since you offered, I appreciate it. Thanks."

"I'll get you a pillow and blanket, then." Rig stated as he walked out of the room. He caught sight of Jasmine in the kitchen cleaning up so he joined her. She stiffened slightly as his hand circled her waist. "There's more to the story, isn't there?" He asked her, pointedly, in a low voice.

She nodded and looked to the living room as she whispered. "I can't say, yet, though. Tomorrow? After he's gone?" She proffered.

Rig nodded. "Tomorrow, then."

He retrieved a spare pillow and blanket and returned to Lance. "Sorry, there's no bed." He apologized. "I just never got around to furnishing the other rooms." The doorbell interrupted him. "Speak of the devil and he shows up." He grinned. "You want to go move your truck so they can get around there?"

"Sure." Lance laughed as he walked to the back door and outside to move his pickup.

The delivery people got the bed in the room and, after verifying where Jasmine wanted it, got it all together before gawking at the decoration. Rig slipped both of them a fifty-dollar bill each, a tip for delivering on such short notice, not to mention the late hour, and ushered them out the door after thanking them. As he got back to her room, Jasmine rushed up and hugged him, giving him a light kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you so much," she said, sounding genuinely grateful. "I would have been fine with a twin, though."

Rig shrugged. "I figured you being a young woman, you needed the space. Besides, a tiny twin would look eerily out of place in that big ass bedroom." He winked at her. "You're welcome, though. I'm glad to be able to help out." He sighed, then yawned. "I think I'm gonna turn in. You be okay locking up?"

"No problem," she answered. "Goodnight, Rig. And thanks again."

"Don't mention it," he said. "Goodnight. 'Night, Lance." He walked to his room and, even though it was still fairly early, got ready for bed.