All Comments on 'Big Tipper'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 47 Comments
AutistAdventurerAutistAdventurerover 1 year ago

You rewarded integrity, encouraged honesty and made a decent person happy, all for the measly cost of $60 - $100.

A very inexpensive yet amazing thing to do.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 1 year ago

You were out 25 cents, not 100 dollars, as you didn’t know the value of the quarter, and without her telling you about the extra leaf, it was just a quarter. But still a great story! 5 stars.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Delightful story! Back when the US Mint started issuing the state quarters, I bought a large map where you could place the quarters as they were issued. I planned to give them to my young grandson but he didn't seem interested. I still have the map and quarters,

5

anubeloreanubeloreover 1 year ago

Favorited. The world could use more "stupidity" like that. You did a good thing, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this story. 5*

dc6370dc6370over 1 year ago

For whatever it's worth , the value of the coin depends on the condition. She has get the coin graded to know the value and that will cost $50.. Still, that was a nice gesture on your part. You made her day for a quarter. How many people can say that?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A great short story with several thought provoking passages. Thanks for putting it all down in print.

Life lessons to be shared.

madness322madness322over 1 year ago

good short story, made me look it up they are now worth $2K a really big tip!

Ricco52Ricco52over 1 year ago

I grew up in NH and settled in the Seacoast area after meeting my wife while attending UNH. One of our favorite weekend morning activities was a drive down either Route 1 or 125. Depending on the route, it seemed like we would either wind up at Calef's (and the Christmas Dove) or Loaf and Ladle. A few of your stories have reminded me of living in that area.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Someday you'll get the $100 back in another way. I would have laughed at the whole situation and been even happier that someone making likely minimum wage got a great reward that day. Good on the idiot - LOL! 5*

TrambakTrambakover 1 year ago

I have a defective postage stamp, that's quite expensive, if I plan to sell.

I am not planning.

Good flash story.

4

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

It's a feel good story that brings a smile to my face. Like they say, "easy come, easy go" . Hopefully it did leave a young lady with a bright spot in her life that she will remember for a long time.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 1 year ago

So very right, you are!! Great story and a point very well made!! 5/5!!

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

What a Sweet Story. 5 stars, I love a happy ending. Thank You. Good Job. I am the same way. I don't collect coins, so If I had been in that same situation, I'd would have probably done the same thing and make some young lady happy. Cuz when you are an "old guy" we become Invisible to young ladies and rarely see them smile at us. Unless they are trying to sell us something. LOL

RRC2RRC2over 1 year ago

Great little piece. Knee jerk reaction of telling you you aren't an idiot, you are a wise person sharing a little (in this case a quarter and 750 words) for a lot of good karma and good feelings. Excellent story telling, as you got the reader involved immediately and never let go.

Excellent.

THANKS

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerover 1 year ago

I loved it- this is the kind of story we need, to quote Seth Meyers. The Bear approves, 7 stars cause, I can't count and I'm an old softie. Keep on keeping on, as they say.

The BEAR.

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****Doing something like that is food for the soul yours because you did it and hers because you did it!! What a great way to use 750 words. Thanks for sharing.

012Say012Sayover 1 year ago

Value is the issue. You lost a coin with no value other than 25 cents. She gained a collectable which when she keeps it costs her $100. Life must be good, if this is among your worries. 5 from me.

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

I love these kind of stories, make a man smile more than usual, just like the so called idiot in your story. 5 BIG FAT FLAMING STARS!

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

Not an idiot for a moment. As someone else has commented, you were only out a quarter. If she hadn't said, you'd never have known. Nice little tale - and 100% believable. Thank you.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeftover 1 year ago

A very sweet story about a random act of kindness. Five stars.

JH4FunJH4Funover 1 year ago
Outstanding Read ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Just great feel good story. Worth the ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I gave it.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

Thank you, all. I wrote this about 2 years ago and didn't think it would find a home here. I am gratified that anyone enjoyed it. And the story is 100% true. It makes me smile every time I think about it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Bravo! Not only the kind story desperately needed, but the kind of idiot I try to be. Before he lost favor, Phil Mickelson used to leave a thousand dollar tip for the housekeeping staffs at the places he stayed. He said that it didn’t dent his wallet at all but may have meant the world to the person he gave it to. Bravo!

Ranger001Ranger001over 1 year ago

Keep smiling, JW! This site has inspired me so often (The Promise, for instance) that I keep returning over and over.

If it inspires you, it'll inspire others. Thanks!! 🌟X5

Ranger001Ranger001over 1 year ago

To Madness322 : That coin has a great future: 5000 coins will not fulfill demand, and certainly some will be lost. As the supply diminishes the value will rise.

To Just_Words: thanks again!! 😊

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 1 year ago

Fun read. Thanks.

Hooked

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You made someone's day. It was house money and you would not have known if she hadn't told you. Enjoy your coffee.

OffRoadDieselOffRoadDieselover 1 year ago

You may never know the impact a small gesture will have on someone's life. My wife gives roses to strangers and only charges a hug. I met one of her victims a few years later at the lady's work not knowing she was once given a rose. As I talked about how my wife does that, the lady started to cry. The rose was the right thing at the right time for her and she still had it - pressed or something like that. Years later, that quarter may push dividends you will never know about as the kindness is paid forward.

Loved the story.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

@OffRoadDiesel - Thank you. I could not agree more!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

@OffRoadDiesel - And tell your wife she is one in a million! You are very lucky to have her in your life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thanks for the uplifting story. I think every good person beyond a certain age has done something similar to this. Its nice to read a story that reminds you of little good deeds

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Liked it a lot. The other day I went through the drive-through at Starbucks and offered to pay for the person in the car behind me, as I frequently do. It costs little and makes me feel good. This time, the following day the person in the car ahead of me paid for my order. Nice surprise!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

@Anonymous - What a great story! Best of all, you didn't expect your generosity to come back to you. That's terrific! Thank you for sharing that.

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

That is the secret of life. Especially for those of us lucky enough to have lived this long........

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Unselfish generosity is a great virtue and extolled beautifully in this short story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Funny how some people can write an excellent narrative about almost any incident I am envious. Thanks for sharing…

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Unless you are highly unusual, you have lost and gained in situations much greater than $100 in your lifetime, whether it by lost/found money, investments, decisions, etc. Would the hundred bucks have made that big a difference in your life,? doubtful. But I think the hundred made a huge difference in a young waitress' life. And everytime you go back she will smile and you will too knowing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

WELL DONE! You are a very good man.

I once paid a grocery bill for a woman who had more groceries than she could pay for. Around her were were three kids. All were clean and well behaved but a little thin for age. The mom was clearly eating less so her kids wouldn't go hungry, she was thin, had a haunted look, and clearly was a person in despair.

I told the cashier, I've got this, and paid the $70 bill. The shock on her face, the relief that went with it, was a reward beyond description. All this was made even better when the couple behind me moved past and gave her $200 aa well as a hug from the wife. More yet, another person in line bought lunch for them in the store deli.

This was only a little hope for her but helped her step back from the abyss for just a little while. Later, as I recounted this story to some friends I was asked, Why compelled you to do that?

I replied, "I had no choice. God put them in front of me." One of the best things I've ever done and my reward was my soul sang for a month.

WisquejacWisquejac7 months ago

Loved it. Thanks.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman5 months ago

Sorry, I gave you a 2 the 1st time I read this. Must have been in a bad mood. The "Pay it Forward" and the joy the 24 cents it gave her, which was really priceless.

Just_WordsJust_Words5 months agoAuthor

@dirtyoldbiman - No worries. It's not the first 2 I've received and it won't be the last. :)

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Not only a lovely story but a great attitude too. BardnotBard

BehindbluisBehindbluis2 months ago

I drove past a homeless guy sitting outside a KFC and continued to park and go inside and place my order for me and my family. I did nothing to help the man outside. I don't like avoiding people in real need but I also know there are those that are just being enabled and some make more money panhandling than many full time jobs and I have seen that first hand. A few minutes later a man came in with the homeless guy from outside and placed an order for his family as well as a large meal for the homeless guy. Call it Divine Intervention or whatever you want, before the money could trade hands I walked up to the cashier and told her the story and that I would like to pay for this man's entire order for his family and the homeless man. The cashier did so and both men thanked me for my actions. While waiting for my order (which was substantial for just one order), the manager came out and returned my money for my order. It does catch on, and on, and on. I've done things since and it catches on.

Just_WordsJust_Words2 months agoAuthor

@Behindbluis - it is amazing how one good deed can spawn so much. Good job! That's a great way to live a life.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...

SIMILAR Stories