Bikini And A Badge Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Waking in the middle of the night, she saw Rob sitting next to the bed with his head resting on the mattress. Placing her hand on him, she entwined her fingers in his thick, dark hair before falling back to sleep.

Early the following morning the doctor came in to check on Brittany. Rob and Evelyn stood on the opposite side of the bed from the woman.

“Your eye’s still swollen but it’ll go down in a few days.” She said. “You’ll have blurred vision for a week or so but it’ll clear up.”

“While I’m here, I’d like to talk with you.” The doctor continued. “It might be best if we were alone.”

“I want Evelyn to stay.” Brittany murmured, worried about what she was going to be told.

“I’m staying too.” Rob stated. “I’m not leaving.”

“Are you her husband or a family member?” The doctor inquired.

“No, I’m ………….” Rob replied.

“Then I’d like for you to step out of the room.” The doctor said. “We won’t be long. You can come back in after we’ve finished talking.”

Reluctantly, Rob left the room to stand in the hallway.

“I bet he’s your boyfriend.” The doctor said, smiling softly.

“Kinda ……….. I guess.” Brittany responded.

“When you arrived here at the hospital we got you into surgery right away and took care of your wrist and internal injuries.” The doctor said. “You had alot of internal bleeding and lost a tremendous amount of blood. That’s one reason we want to keep you here for awhile, so we can monitor your recovery.

“There’s something else isn’t there?” Brittany asked. “Something’s wrong with me.”

“During surgery, we discovered you were pregnant.” The doctor said in a soft voice. “The baby appeared to be six to seven weeks along. There was nothing we could do for it. Your injuries were just to severe.”

“Oh my God, you were pregnant!” Evelyn exclaimed, suddenly realizing she might be overheard.

“I thought I might be.” Brittany barely muttered. “I was planning on taking one of those home pregnancy test to find out.”

“Unfortunately, you may not be able to have another baby.” The doctor stated. “We had to do quite a bit of internal reconstructive surgery. We were lucky they got you here when they did.”

Brittany bit her lip to keep herself from crying but she was powerless to hold back her emotions. Grasping Evelyn’s hand, she gripped it with all her strength as the tears flowed from her swollen eyes.

“Don’t let Rob know.” Brittany warned, her words choked by her tears. “He can’t know about this.”

“He won’t.” Evelyn whispered. “I promise I won’t say anything.”

“Make him go back to his son.” Brittany begged, still crying profusely. “Make him go away. Take him home for me.”

“I’ll see what I can do but I know he’s not going to want to leave you.” Evelyn responded. “He’s worried sick about you.”

“Let me talk to him.” Brittany said. “Let me see what I can do.”

Calling Rob back into the hospital room, she confronted the doctor to tell him she was going to be alright. She just needed alot of rest to recuperate. Rob wasn’t buying it, clearly seeing she was upset about something. Evelyn tried reasoning with him but it was to no avail. He wasn’t going to leave with her still in the hospital.

“You need to go back to Oklahoma and be with your son.” Brittany said. “I’ll call you every day and let you know how I’m getting along. I promise.”

“Evelyn’s agreed to fly you home on her private jet.” She added. “There’s nothing more you can do here. I just need to get some rest so I can get out of here.”

“I can’t go back and leave you here like this.” Rob mumbled. “I want you to go with me.”

“I can’t leave for another week or so.” Brittany responded. “If I agree to see you sometime after Christmas, will you go? It‘s what I want.”

Reluctantly, Rob agreed, barely nodding his head. Embracing Brittany, he kissed her lovingly before Evelyn escorted him out of the room. She’d had to make a promise to him that she was hesitant about keeping. She would prolong their meeting as long as she could.

Brad Langley came in to see Brittany the next morning while she was eating breakfast.

“I should have known you’d show up.” Brittany quipped. “Bet you smelled food, didn’t you?”

“I’d hardly call that food although the toast and jelly looks good.” Langley responded, grinning.

“Eat it. I’m not going to.” Brittany said. “I hardly have anything except coffee and a cigarette.”

“God, I’m dying for a cigarette!” She added. “I gotta get outta here so I can light one up.”

“I brought you a present.” Langley said, reaching into his jacket pocket. “Thought you’d like these better than flowers.

In his hand, Brad had a fresh pack of cigarettes and a butane lighter. He grinned as he presented the items to her.

“Don’t get caught with them!” Brad smarted. “They’ll throw that cute little ass of yours out the door!”

“Thanks Brad.” Brittany said smiling. “You know just what I need.”

“Thought you’d like to know, we got everyone home safe and sound.” He stated. “Even flew them first class.”

“That’s great!” Brittany responded. “When you gonna get them paid?”

“Done deal.” Brad replied. “I mailed the checks out this morning except for yours.”

“What’d it end up coming to?” Brittany inquired. “Hope you complied with our agreement.”

“With their salaries and a percentage of the drug’s street value, it came to just over two-hundred and fifty thousand apiece.” He replied. “Not bad for six months work!”

“You’re still gonna give them a share of the boat sales, aren’t you?” He asked.

“Of course.” Brittany answered. “There’s still four boats locked up at the dealership that I’ll have to get rid of but I can’t even get to them.”

“I’ll match your quarter million.” She added. “I owe them at least that much.”

“That’ll get them where they want to go with the rest of their lives. “Langley remarked. “It would me anyway.”

“What about you? What are you gonna do?” He inquired. “Write another book? Make a movie?”

“I said I’d never write another book after Thunder in the Caribbean but I’ve been thinking it over.” Brittany replied. “I may just write one and dedicate it to the team. Caribbean Raiders has a nice ring to it.”

“Go for it!” Langley exclaimed. “I’ll damn sure buy one.”

“Did you buy my other one?” Brittany asked, grinning.

“Yep, sure did! And I loved it!” Langley replied. “Can’t wait for the movie.”

“Well, you’ll have to talk to Evelyn about the movie.” Brittany stated. “She owns the movie rights.”

It was late afternoon when Evelyn came in to see Brittany. She was grinning like a Chesser cat.

“What are you so happy about?” Brittany inquired. “You just have a liaison with someone?”

“Even better but I’ll get to that later.” Evelyn replied, pulling her chair up next to the bed.

“I got Rob home alright.” Evelyn stated. “His parents and his son met us at the airport. They were really nice people.”

Brittany nodded her head acknowledging the news, looking away from the woman.

“We had a good, long talk during the flight.” She added. “He showed me the document giving you custody of his son in case something happed to him. It made me feel proud to think you‘d actually do something like that.”

Brittany couldn’t look at Evelyn, knowing she’d break down if she did.

“Have you called him today?” She asked. “You promised you would.”

“No. I will in a little bit.” Brittany sobbed. “I can’t right now.”

“He’s gonna come after you.” Evelyn murmured. “He’s not gonna let you slip away from him.”

“I know.” Brittany muttered, wiping her tears. “I’m not sure what to do about him.”

“Well, I’m willing to listen if you want to talk about it.” She said. “But, you’ll have to make up your own mind.”

Evelyn gave Brittany a few minutes to compose herself before continuing. Pickup up Brittany’s attaché from the floor next to her chair, she placed it on the bed.

“Thought you might want this.” Evelyn said. “Kimmie packed it with her stuff before they left the houseboat. Thought it might be important for you have it with you.”

“Yeah. I do need it.” Brittany responded. “It’s got my laptop and stuff in it.”

“I’ve got your purse, so don’t worry about that.” Evelyn said. “I doubt if you’ll need it till you get released.”

“And, I’ve got some guys going down to bring back the houseboat and that other boat you used to chase the drug runners with.” Evelyn added. “They’re gonna bring them back to the dealership.”

“Thanks, I was wondering how I was gonna get them back.” Brittany remarked. “Langley said he had some DEA guys there to keep an eye on things for me.”

“What would you say if I told you I was in the process of buying the Cranor’s boat dealership?” Evelyn inquired, her face grinning.

“Why would you want to buy a boat dealership in Florida if you’re gonna live in California?” Brittany asked.

“It’s a good investment.” Evelyn answered. “Last year their net profit was over a hundred million dollars. The economy’s on the upswing and the bank’s are begging for someone with money to take it over. I‘m confident we could double the net profit in the first year.”

“And, you need a job.” She added. “I want you to run it for me.”

“Run it for you!” Brittany exclaimed. “I don’t know anything about running a business!”

“You know boats. You know how to wheel and deal.” Evelyn responded. “And, most importantly, I can trust you!”

“We’ll reopen the business on January first with a big grand opening and open house.” She continued. “I want you in the driver’s seat!”

“Seems like an awful lot of responsibility.” Brittany stated. “You think I can handle it?

“I’ll get you some help if you need it.” Evelyn replied. “There‘s a consulting firm available through one of the banks. Personally, I don‘t think you‘ll need them but they‘re there if you do.”

“You seem to have all the answers.” Brittany remarked.

“Well, not all the answers.” Evelyn replied, sitting on the bed. “Why don’t you call Rob and get some answers from him?”

“You think he might be willing to move to Miami?” Brittany asked. “You know, with his son and everything.”

“I’m sure he’d move anywhere you wanted.” Evelyn replied. “Just ask him.”

“Maybe we could get a nice house in Coral Gables.” Brittany said. “Put Tyler in a good private school. Set Rob up in something to do with airplanes, maybe a flying service.”

“Sounds like you’ve already got the answers.” Evelyn remarked. “You just need to ask Rob the questions.”

“Don’t forget to get a prenuptial agreement first.” She added. “I’m damn sure glad I did!”

“I guess that would be a good idea.” Brittany agreed. “Tyler might not want me for his stepmother.”

“Sure he will.” Evelyn replied. “He’s a nice little boy. I could see alot of his father in him.”

That evening Brittany made a call to Rob in Lawton, Oklahoma. He was anxious to hear from her proposing he and his son fly down over the coming weekend to see her.

“I don’t think that would be a good idea.” Brittany responded. “I still look like hell. My eye’s still swollen and bruised. I’d rather look my best when I meet Tyler.”

“I understand. I just ……. well, I just feel bad not being there for you.” Rob said. “I miss being with you. Damn, I wish you were here with us.”

“Right now, you need to spend your time with Tyler.” Brittany stated. “Thought you were gonna take the little guy fishing?”

“It’s freezing here!” He exclaimed, laughing. “We’ll have to wait till spring to go fishing.”

“Oh, I forgot.” Brittany responded. “We’re not in the Bahamas anymore, are we?”

“No, but someday I’d like to take Tyler down there and show him where we had our base camp.” Rob said. “I think it’ll help him understand why I had to spend so much time away from him.”

“Yeah, that’s not a bad idea.” Brittany agreed. “Course, it’ll look alot different once the DEA sets up their base camp.”

“Figured out how you’re gonna get your houseboat back to Miami?” He inquired. “I could come down there and help you.”

“Evelyn’s arranged for some of the guys from the boat dealership to bring it back. And, the Nor-Tech too.” Brittany replied. “We’ll sell it as soon as we get the dealership reopened.

“WE! Rob exclaimed. “What reopening?

“Evelyn’s in the process of taking over the Cranor’s marine dealership and marina.” Brittany answered. “I’m gonna run it for her. Or I should say, at least try to run it for her.”

“Guess that means, you won’t consider moving to Oklahoma then?” Rob remarked, his voice sounding very disappointed.

“No …… I’m afraid not.” She responded. “Was I supposed to consider it?”

Rob didn’t reply to her question. Perhaps she should have phrased it better. There was a long, long moment of silence on the other end of the line.

“You still with me or did you hang up?” Brittany finally asked, growing concerned over Rob’s sudden silence.

“I’m still here.” He muttered. “I guess I just got distracted.”

Rob’s reply was obviously an excuse. The tone of his voice had changed drastically to one of discontent and disappointment. Brittany thought it best to discontinue the call before an argument ensued.

“I better let you go.” She said. “I don’t want to take up all your time. Besides, I’m getting a little tired. Think I‘ll get some sleep.”

Rob barely said good-bye to her as they broke off their conversation. Things hadn’t gone as well as she’d hoped. Putting her cell phone in her attaché, she laid back to contemplate her next move.

The following day brought better news, at least from her doctor anyway. Brittany’s condition had greatly improved and she would be released the following morning. Brittany was anxious to get out of the hospital so she wouldn’t have to hide in the bathroom to smoke. She was running low on cigarettes and she knew Evelyn wouldn’t bring her any.

Evelyn stopped by for a brief visit to see how Brittany was doing. She and her legal team had a business appointment with several of the bankers to close the deal on the marina and boat dealership. She was eager to conclude the business transaction and get started with her new business venture.

“I wish you were going with me.” Evelyn stated. “I’d feel alot better if you were doing the negotiating.”

“You’ll do alright.” Brittany responded, grinning. “Just show them lots of leg. Maybe unbutton your blouse a little.”

“I may just do that.” Evelyn said. “Maybe I’ll get lucky to boot!”

“Did you call Rob last night like you said you would?” She asked.

“Yeah, but things didn’t go too well.” Brittany answered. “It was a fairly brief conversation.”

Brittany told Evelyn about the conversation, leaving out none of the details. She was in a quandary about what to do next. She had some ideas but everything seemed to dead-end short of what she wanted to accomplish.

“I’m not going to call him tonight.” Brittany stated with a tone of defiance. “Let him mull things over. Besides, I’d just end up saying the wrong thing again.”

“I’ll be outta this place tomorrow morning.” She added. “I can think better once I get out in the fresh air.”

“The guys’ll have both boats back at the marina tomorrow morning.” Evelyn stated. “You could move back on the houseboat. Your clothes and all are still there.”

“Great!” Brittany exclaimed. “Things ARE lookin’ up!”

That evening, Brittany kept her cell phone switched off in case Rob called her. The time alone without getting upset over a telephone conversation afforded her time to formulate plans for the marina and for the man she loved.

Evelyn arrived at the hospital early the next morning to help get Brittany released. Her doctor still had her activities somewhat restricted but they didn’t affect her plans for the near future. As the two drove to the marina, Evelyn sensed Brittany was up to something.

“By that smirk on your face, I can tell you’re up to something.” Evelyn said, driving through the congested traffic. “Mind telling me what it is?”

“Depends!” Brittany commented.

“Depends on what?” Evelyn asked.

“Depends on if I can have the use of your private plane over the weekend.” Brittany answered. “And, on a couple of other people I need help from. And, on the weather.”

“I’m planning on flying back to Santa Barbara Friday morning.” Evelyn stated. “I wasn’t planning on using the plane until the day after Christmas. You can have it the whole time if you want.”

“I don’t want your pilots to be away from their families over Christmas.” She responded. “I just need them from Friday afternoon till Monday evening.”

“That’d work out perfectly for everyone.” Evelyn remarked, smiling. “Now, mind telling me what kind of sinister plan you’ve got going?”

“I’ll wait till this evening when I call Rob.” Brittany replied. “I want you sitting next to me when I go the next step.”

The two women spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening getting the houseboat straightened up. The service technicians had completed all the utility hook-ups making it seem more like a home. Sitting down on the couch in the livingroom, Brittany’s mind drifted back momentarily to things that happened over the past six months sequestered with her team.

“Thinking about the old times?” Evelyn inquired. “Things that went on here?

“Yeah, but there all good thoughts.” Brittany muttered. “I don’t have any regrets or bad memories.”

“Time to call Rob.” She said, handing Brittany her cell phone. “You sure you want me to stay.”

“Yeah, but I need to call Richard and Jake first.” Brittany replied.

After several attempts, Brittany was finally able to make connections with Jake down in Key West. He and Richard were elated to hear from her and thrilled she’d been released from the hospital and on the mend. Their conversation lasted for almost a half hour as the two men asked about the work she’d been involved in and the tragic plane crash.

Taking time to smoke a cigarette to calm her nerves, she finally made the call to Lawton, Oklahoma. Rob answered the phone, his voice sounding quite excited.

“I tried to phone you last night when you didn’t call but all I got was your voicemail.” He stated. “I thought maybe you didn’t want to talk anymore. I was contemplating flying down there so we could talk in person.”

“That’s the last thing I want.” Brittany retorted. “I’m finally out of the hospital and back at the marina. I’ve got alot of things to do and we’d probably just end up in an argument if we got together.”

Her remarks had Rob stunned. His silence had Brittany positive he wasn’t sure what to say next.

“Is Tyler there with you?” Brittany asked, trying to sound stern.

“Yes. He’s standing right next to me.” Rob answered. “Would you like to talk with him?”

“Yes. That’s why I’m calling.” Brittany replied.

For Brittany, talking with a seven-year-old youngster was a bit unsettling at first. Luckily, Tyler had a mental list of questions he wanted to ask. The conversation flowed like two people who’d known each other for a long time. Brittany was pleasantly surprised by how much the boy knew about her and the work she and the team had accomplished. Brittany relaxed, letting her mind absorb all of Tyler’s words. After what seemed like an hour, the boy seemed almost out of breath.

“Would you put your father back on so I can talk to him?” She managed to ask.

“He’s quite a talker isn’t he?” Rob quipped. “Once he gets to know you, he goes non-stop.”

“Yeah, I noticed that.” Brittany responded. “Too bad you’re not more like that.”

Again, Rob was stumped for a comeback remark. He stammered, trying to think of something to say. Brittany took a quick breath, preparing for the rest of her conversation.

“The reason I called was ……. I was wondering if I could pick Tyler up at the Lawton airport Friday afternoon and take him for a few days.” Brittany stated. “I’ll have him back late Monday afternoon.”

“Just Tyler?” Rob inquired, sounding confused. “You don’t want me to come along?”

“No. Just Tyler and me.” Brittany replied. “I’ll take good care of him. You don’t have to worry about that.”