Billie's Writing Status Soars

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I bet Amos told you about me fainting near where the bull calves were being castrated. I hadn't been aware of what they were doing."

"No."

"Liar."

"Oh, perhaps Amos did mention something like that. Probably I would have been in danger of keeling over."

"Actually, I have a brother called Sam although I've not seen him for a couple of years."

"Um, Summers is a fairly unusual name. I recalled seeing a Sam Summers play football against the Dallas Cowboys last season."

"Yes, that's my brother."

"He's pretty slippery."

"Perhaps he learned that from his sister."

"You sound interesting. Listen, why don't you break your journey and drop in and meet me for lunch?"

"Well, I do have to eat somewhere. And I do know Austin a little."

They agreed to meet at Barton Creek Square Mall at the Nordstrom Café because it would be easy for Billie to find.

She asked, "Why do you wish to meet me?"

"Because Elsie told me I should."

"Well that's a reply simple enough to be honest."

They laughed.

Chapter 4

As arranged, the night before Billie left the ranch when Sam called, Billie wore the white Stetson Ben and Martha had given here as a memento of her visit. In return she'd told them at the extended family farewell that she intended to write a novel set on a ranch but it depended on the outcome after she'd given it considerable thought, a process she followed in novel writing preparations.

"It's no use starting something with anything less than one hundred percent commitment, because that leaves one open to a growing possibility of capitulating and shoving it into the too hard bin."

Ben had said he'd agree with that. At least he'd achieved something because Billie was now riding horses and had no marked fear of horses.

"It's been lovely, absolutely lovely having you here," he said, offering the toast, "To our lovely young woman Billie and may she write herself to greater heights."

Billie gave Martha and Elsie a signed copy of her biography on Celeste plus a bottle of French perfume each.

Because the effort Ben and Amos had put in teaching her things and talking to her for hours about the attitudes of ranchers and the things that were important to them, she gave them both a 15-inch MacBook computer, they both being regular uses of old Apple desktop computers.

She was 20-minutes late entering the café in Austin and she thought the guy receiving a fresh cup of coffee and having his old cup cleared away would be Sam, because there was something familiar about him, and that related to his sister's appearance although at twenty-nine he was three years older than Elsie.

She was right in that assumption.

They greeting one another warmly and Sam said he was interested to learn about her time on the ranch and Billie noticed he didn't ask how were his parents and didn't ask about Elsie and his parents.

About forty minutes later, he asked did she wish to stay the night, and she assumed he meant with him.

Billie answered politely she thought she ought to push on and at that he shrugged and appeared to lose all interest in her. So, she stood, he stood and she kissed him goodbye and that was that.

Well, she thought critically as she drove off, compared with his sister he was a cold fish.

As soon as Billie pulled into her half-formed driveway, Silvana has rushed from her home and was opening the vehicle door she laughed and said, "Oh god, thank goodness you're back home. I've missed you so much and mom has been the perfect bitch. She appears to control herself when you are about. Will you take me fishing in the morning?"

"You'll have school."

"Tomorrow is Saturday."

"Oh, I must be somewhere in Space, not knowing what day it is. Oh bliss. Darling come into the house with me for a minute."

She handed Silvana the print-out of the corrected but not finally edited copy of the manuscript of 'Wretched Rachel.'

"Invite you mom to read this. It's my latest novel and please tell her I'd commenced it before I arrived here but some of the things I experienced with you two are incorporated in later chapters but changed so much you are unlikely to recognize the incidents, but then again perhaps you will. Tell her I'd like her to read it to perhaps gain understanding and perhaps you ought to read it as well."

"It's a scary title. Is this girl Rachel doing drugs?"

"She experiences drugs but is not a junkie. The crux of it is she has difficulty communicating her thoughts and explaining her actions to her mom and her mom is too close and too emotionally distracted to take a clear view of the problems between them."

"Oh god, if I tell mom that she'll be over to deal with you with her broomstick."

Billie laughed. "Well if you lack the courage to tell her that I'll do it for you."

"No, it's cool. I'm really not scared of mom. I'm just careful when I'm around her."

Billie looked at Silvana in surprise.

"What?"

Billie said, "What you just said to me. Have you used those words before?"

"No, because no one but you is interested in the relationship between my mother and me. Why do you ask?"

"If you read the book, you'll find out why."

"Does Rachel say something like that?"

"You're very bright Silvana. That line about being cool, not being scared, just being careful is more of less what Rachel says to the psychologist who is attempting to find if Rachel is as dysfunctional as her mother claims she is."

"Omigod, mothers may hate you for this novel, err at first, but I suspect they will come onside as they get into the novel and remember how it was with the brat."

"Indeed Silvana. Also, an author tries not get permanently offside with his or her readers."

Silvana called four hours later.

"Mom was interested to receive the manuscript and to hear me relate what you said I should tell her. She replied she respected you for your sound commonsense and asked me to get dinner and began reading. She stopped when dad arrived home for dinner and now, he's watching TV and she's gone off to the bedroom to read."

"Have you heard screams?"

"No, just some chuckles I suppose they were and a few 'Omigods'. Is that good?"

"Yes, very good I suspect. Be over here at 6:00 in the morning. I'll bring our breakfast with me. Everything is ready including the boat being hooked up down the lawn ready for the short trip down into the water."

"Um, do you think the story of Rachel and her mom could improve things between mum and me?"

"I'm being optimistic here, but if you both read the story, then I'd say definitely."

"Jesus."

"Good night Silvana. Sweet dreams."

"You are even better than a big sister Billie. God bless."

An hour later, Silvana called again and said her friend Natalie Owens wanted her to go mall shopping in Corpus Christi in the morning.

"I said I was going fishing with you and she asked could she comes with us. Please Billie, you've met Natalie a few times."

"Well the problem is our boat is set up with only two seats."

"No problem, her mom can drop her off with an aluminum-framed chair with suckers on its feet from her dad's boat."

"Okay then. Good night again."

"Wait and thanks Billie. Mom wishes to speak to you."

"Billie you are a marvelous writer. Your book has really gripped me. Have you been through this?"

"Yeah Caitlin, for almost three years I reputedly gave my mom a hard time and she found difficulty coping."

"Reputed?"

"Well mom exaggerates a bit. I can remember times during that period when we got along quite okay."

"I'm five chapters short of the finish and have just put it down because I'm weary but not so weary to say this book of yours will help mothers and daughters all over America, and I mean that. When loving and gentle daughters turn into disagreeable little vixens it's, it's well something really difficult to cope with."

"Well, I thought you might identify with Rachel's mother. She suffered badly because she handled the situation badly, failing to deal with the situation effectively, using counsellors and/or the guidelines that are available. Few of us are superwomen, Caitlin."

"I'll give you a copy of the book when it's published because you might want to loan it to mothers who are battling a rebel. As I wrote, girls battle at home whereas guys tend to let off steam and even hit out away from home. Like any strategist in warfare and even in commerce will say, it pays to know what we're up against."

"Well thanks darling. Thanks to you I'm expecting a better year and, in the autumn, I'll look forward in confidence to when Silvana comes home at end of her first college semester."

On Sunday afternoon. Natalie called Billie and thanked her for taking her out for fishing, for the great breakfast and for allowing her to take home so many fish.

"Mom would like you to come for dinner tonight."

"Well okay Natalie, so what's this really about? Not to say thanks for a few fish surely?"

"Gee, Silvana has said you are so sharp. Um, don't get mad at me Billie, but my mom is really interested in meeting you and my brother wants to get a look at you. Um, he's probably your age. Please come Billie."

"Is this all about you saying to your brother he ought to size me up?"

"Billie is it necessary to push so hard. All right, I did mention to Marlon you're one hot babe and he took an immediate interest and mom said it was time we had you over for a meal, you being our most famous resident and as well probably the most unassuming."

"Natalie I could wring you neck. Is your mom a keen reader of books?"

"Yes, and has about twenty favorite authors and really helped me with my schoolwork on literature."

"Well at least that's something. Very well, give me the time and your address."

"I'll come for you at 5:50 Billie. Dad likes to eat early and spend the night watching TV sport."

"And literary programs?"

"You have to be kidding Billie. Oh, please dress to look sexy. I've given you a really great build up."

"Natalie, it might not be safe for you to come unarmed within reach of me."

Natalie laughed and said good one Billie.

Billie spent the next few hours working on very tentative outlines of three possible novels, one based on young solo mothers, one about the amazing attachment of a teenager on her widowed father's ranch to his top brood mare and her father's latest and possibly most promising girlfriend opposed to his daughter being so attached to a horse. The third was the hardship that a distinguished female Navy Seal faced when attempting to settle back into her small home town in West Texas.

She looked at all three drafted storylines and sighed, aware she was presently equipped with the knowledge and slight experience to tackle the horse ranch story whereas she'd be approaching the other two from scratch.

The horse and cattle ranch storyline won and she made a note that daddy's girlfriend was scared of horses.

Natalie arrived right on time, smiled hugely when she saw Billie in a tight sundress with her hair piled high and in full makeup. "Oh yummy, I could be interested in your myself."

"Shut up you, delinquent."

"Billie kiss me, thanking me for setting you up. It will give you the opportunity to wring my neck."

"Keep your distance Natalie and to think that until now, I'd always liked Silvana's friends."

"Don't be too hard on me," Natalie chuckled. "If Marlon doesn't attract you, tell him to fuck off."

"Please behave like the lady you should be, Natalie. I don't require a seventeen-year-old to tell me what to do."

"I have riled you, haven't I?"

"Come here big mouth and let me kiss you. You are my youngest friend from around here and so I ought not expect too much from you. Just don't attempt to set up any more dates for me, huh?"

"I won't need to," Natalie said as they left the house. "My brother will be perfect for you."

"Yeah, yeah. Stop your yapping and move your ass girl. Don't make me late."

Natalie's mom Patricia, also in a sundress and hair piled high and in full makeup even though they were eating outside, greeted Billie very excitedly and said what a great honor it was to have Celeste B. Bush's biographer to dinner.

"Patricia what is your favorite of Celeste's novels you've read?

"Dr Oliszewski Humbles the President."

"Oh, one of her most recent novels about the Polish immigrant surgeon who came across the president's son who'd crashed his car and was in danger of suffocating because of a series injury to his throat."

"Yes, and it says a lot about the callous way we bundle all new immigrants together as if they are morons whereas some intellectuals and highly qualified professional immigrants are thwarted in their progress because they cannot locate specific support services that do exist."

Billie agreed and said the novel would have required a formidable amount of research.

"Celeste told me she employed three researchers to assist her set up before beginning to write that novel and actually based it on the true experiences of a Mexican pediatric surgeon speaking poor English who immigrated legally to work among the poor Mexican families in southern California."

"Gosh how fascinating. Come through and meet my husband Pete who's doing spiced chicken as well as fish, cooking on hot coals in foil. Our son Marlon dashed out to get more beer after finding we were down to the two last bottles. You do drink beer don't you?"

"Well I guess I'll try to down a glass of it since he rushed out thinking I drink beer."

"I'll pour you a wine darling. He really went to fetch it for his father and himself. Um, Marlon is between girlfriends at the moment."

"Oh, poor Marlon."

"I was meaning what is your situation Billie?"

"Oh, it's just how I like it at the moment."

"Oh?" said Patricia, looking in desperate need of an explanation of what that reply meant but Billie was waving a greeting at Pete who came walking over, wiping his nose with the back of his barbecuing hand. Perhaps it was just itchy.

The evening turned out disastrously.

It was all Marlon's fault.

He arrived an hour later smelling of BO and beer and riled his father, saying he'd forgotten to pick up a carton of beer.

You should have showered and dressed in clean clothes before leaving home," scolded his mother, obviously repulsed by the body odor.

"Marlon," she shrieked. You've broken your promise and been smoking weed (marijuana) again?"

"No."

His father rushed over, sniffed and shouted, "Liar" and slapped his adult son over the mouth.

Marlon swung and looping right at his father's jaw but Peter ducked under it and sunk his fist into his son's stomach, and he slumped to ground groaning.

"Mom, the wrapped meat on the grill is letting off steam and the fish hasn't been put on the coals yet," Natalie called, with an arm around Billie after apologizing for the fighting.

"It was never meant to happen like this," she sobbed.

"The evening is a wash-out, I'm sorry Billie," Patricia said. "Take her home in my car please, Nat."

"It's fine, really, Patricia. I'm aware these unscheduled things happen. Believe me, Natalie, it's true. My mother once went in to the TV room just before guests were due to arrive for Sunday lunch and threw a potful of water over my father because he was watching sport on TV instead of setting the table while she slaved away in the kitchen."

The females laughed and the males scowled as they made up, shaking hands, probably believing they were being laughed at derisively.

Natalie said as they drove off later, "I guess you'll reject my brother."

"I would think so as he's exhibited the type of behavior that is abhorrent to me but if I become friends with your family and he stays clear of me, I'd accept his presence."

"This is a huge disappointment to me."

"I can understand that Natalie and I urge you to retain your romantic notions and remember that few people exhibit them like you do, but leave me out of any attempted match-ups.

They laughed and briefly held hands, as if exhibiting their affection for each other.

* * *

Billie took just over three months to complete the first draft of her new novel, with the working title 'Aurora's Young Love' (with the cover picture to be a young girl with her arms around the neck of a beautiful horse).

She had used Silvana and Natalie to assist with research, paying them modestly, and the involvement bonding them even closer together as friends

"You'll both be going to university soon, if your earlier plans remain on track," Billie said. "Have you settled on careers yet?"

Silvana said, "I'm still thinking of becoming highly qualified academically in environmental science because dealing with climate change is becoming so important but I need more information because dad says the die is cast for climate change because it's unstoppable."

"Even so, new ways will have to be reported and acted upon to assist to cope with new challenges."

"Yes, that's probably true, Billie."

"Mum wants me to become a top chef but I think that's only because she's watched too many TV cooking programs."

"Well Natalie, tell her cooking shows are cheaper to produce for TV compared with most other types of productions and people watch them because there's nothing better to view on TV at the times cooking shows are on-screen."

"Dad has offered to finance me into a share of ownership of a commercial fishing boat, and I am interested to a point, but I'm thinking of becoming a book manuscript editor and trying to become a successful romance writer at nights."

"Good for you Natalie, your editorship role will finance your living and the slog to become a popular romance writer will satisfy your literary ambition."

"That's how I view it, Billie."

"Hush you guys, I think a fish took a bite of my bait. It's bound to come back for more and will get hooked," Natalie whispered.

* * *

Billie received an almost rave letter from her commissioning editor, accompanying the return of the edited draft of 'Aurora's Young Love', with the recommended changes appearing fewer than in her previously accepted manuscripts. To date, she'd not had a submission rejected and she was aware that was amazing. This new response thrilled her.

The commissioning editor wrote:

I took this draft to the editorial committee with a few selected excerpts for them to read in less than 15 minutes in total. The air was filled with 'Omigod,' 'brilliant piece', 'Billie has gotten into the soul of her heroine.' Our resident foul-mouth soothsayer predicted, 'A fucking masterpiece that will race up the charts and pile royalties into Billie's lap higher than the stinking shit pile at the back of major horse stables'.

My dear, you know how critical I can be. But I have to say I recognize a winner when I see one. Congratulations. Please return your revised manuscript ASAP!! At present everyone appears happy with your working title, 'Aurora's Young Love' but that has to be confirmed. What a clever choice of a romantic name for a young teenage heroine.

Sue.

Billie found difficulty in breathing because she'd figured that, as a result of that almost rave assessment, she may be elevated onto the publishing house's list of its top authors.

Hands shaking, she picked up her phone and called Silvana and Natalie and invited them for drinks at 8.00 that evening followed by supper and told them to bring their mothers.

"I've heard back from my publisher," she said, voice choked with emotion.

"Omigod, they highly-rate your submission?" Silvana said.

When contacted minutes later, Natalie wheezed, "You've been told you've produced a winner."

"You'll find out as soon as you arrive," Billie said mysteriously, when replying to both girls.

She resolved to take a break from writing, to celebrate, but more importantly, determine her future, including where to locate, and to land a suitable male companion who was focused on joint happiness, petting and, of course, and the extension of the relationship.

1...345678