Bittersweet Irish Cream Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Technically my uncle made me a manager, but unless I have to step into that role, usually just do the same work as everyone else."

Ethan asked, "Why do I get the sense that you shy away from decision making and commitment? Like you are waiting for something or someone else to come along for you to choose a path."

Jack pursed his lips like he wanted to stop himself from saying something and smiled. Then said, "You are very observant."

"You won't grow like that you know," Ethan said. "You have way too much potential to be stagnated. Even if you stay here, you should want to commit to something, anything that will help you grow. And whatever you decide, you will be amazing at it."

Jack didn't respond at first. Then said softly, "Thanks."

Jack learned that Ethan has a love for art, and even used to paint and make clay structures in college. "For fun," he said. "I probably would have been an art major if my parents would have allowed it. But they would have disowned me. I could get a girl pregnant but I God forbid I didn't have a lucrative career."

Jack heard what he didn't say. And since Ethan exposed his inner most thoughts regarding committing to things, he decided to do the same. "So art doesn't sound like just a hobby for you then. It sounds like a passion. Do you still paint at all?"

Ethan said casually, "No, no time really."

"That's a cop out if I ever heard one. Why are you running from the one thing that makes you happy?"

Ethan did not respond at first. Then laughed. "You're good at reading people, you know that?"

Jack smiled. "You didn't answer the question. What are you afraid of?"

Ethan sighed. "Art is my passion, you're right. It has been my outlet for every emotion that I've had, good and bad. But it led me down a path that also led to pain and heartbreak. If I pick up a paint brush or chalk right now, I don't know what I would draw. Maybe I'm afraid of that. What I will draw." He sighed again.

"There is only one way to find out," Jack said. "Maybe it won't be as scary as you think it will be. In fact, it might be more liberating than you think."

Ethan was quiet, then said, "Maybe."

They talked about the Inn and all the plans Ethan had for it. Right now Ethan is the one making the beds and breakfast at his B&B with Stacy's help, but he plans on hiring a daytime chef. He also needs someone to help with the maintenance of the place.

Jack told him, "Everyone is still going to call it The Inn, just so you know."

"Yeah I see that," he said. "It's small, only eight rooms in total, but things just keep coming apart when I least expect it to. Now that it's almost the summer, traffic and reservations have picked up some, which is great. Honestly the only reason my parents didn't freak out about me buying the Inn with a huge chunk of my savings is because they saw it as a business venture, and they know all that I had been through since I left home."

By the time Ethan looked at the time it was well after 11pm. "Shit, now I have to pay Liam for two hours."

Jack said casually, "Well let me pay for this since you have to pay your employee tonight." He called Sam over for the check.

Ethan again began to have a date feel to the evening. He cleared his throat and said, "OK, I got next time."

Jack smiled that smile of his that makes Ethan's stomach butterfly flip. "Deal," he said.

They walked out together. It was a warm night and they made small talk as they walked slowly back to the Inn. No one was in the streets. When they got there, Jack raised his hand to give Ethan a dap when Ethan said, "I want to tell you something."

Jack lowered his hand. "Okay."

Ethan took a breath and said, "When I said I had started seeing someone during my marriage....it was a man. I'm...I've...always dated men. Except my wife obviously. Ex-wife." He had no idea why he was so nervous.

Jack kept his face neutral. "Okay."

Ethan took another breath. "I hope that doesn't change anything between us. That we can still be friends. That you won't look at me any differently...." He trailed off.

Jack decided to put him out of his misery. "Well I'm gay, so no, it doesn't change anything for me."

Ethan's mouth formed a slight o in surprise. "Oh. I don't think I realized...." He trailed off again.

"Well then your gaydar is way off or your haven't been paying attention." Jack laughed.

Ethan blurted out, "Was this a date?"

Jack's turn to look surprised. "Um...no. At least that wasn't my intention."

"Oh."

"Did you want-"

"No! I mean...there's nothing wrong with you, or anything." Ethan could feel himself grow red, thankful for the night sky. "I just don't have time to date, between EJ and the B&B and I just got divorced, I just-"

Jack held up his hand. "Hey! I wasn't asking. I just wanted to know what you were thinking. I'm good, trust me. You're too old for me anyway." He smiled.

"I'm 26, asshole." He squinted his eyes at Jack.

Jack laughed. "Yea? Well you act like you're 46 so... maybe you are Mr. McKinley."

Ethan laughed as well. "Well I'll try to act more of my age then."

Jack liked Ethan's throaty laugh. Jack liked Ethan. He pushed the thoughts down again. "I'll see you around E," he said and walked home.