Black and Blue Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What's your fucking problem?" Buchannan shot back.

"Watch your mouth, boy." hissed McCombs. "I'm a Sergeant."

"Why are you threatening me over nothing?" Buchannan said, not backing down.

"I'm going to tell you one more time, Boy, and you better answer what I want to hear." said McCombs. "Tell me you are not going to say another fucking word to the Brass without a Union Rep present----"

"Is there a problem here?"

The voice belonged to Corporal Hicks, who was coming up with Patrolman Johnson.

"Get out of here." ordered McCombs.

"Buchannan, everything okay?" asked Hicks.

"I TOLD YOU TO FUCKING LEAVE, CORPORAL!" yelled McCombs, flying to his feet and fronting Hicks. "I'm a Sergeant! You do what the fuck I tell you to do, or your career is OVER! Hendricks! Get this bastard out of here."

Hendricks was coming forward, his gun drawn. "Let's go." said Hicks, to Johnson. He pulled Johnson out of there. Hendricks followed.

"Now, one more time." McCombs said to Buchannan. "What are you going to do when Troy or Croyle ask you about that stop?" He noticed Buchannan look past him, towards where Hendricks had been standing. Then McCombs realized someone was standing behind him.

"I TOLD YOU ASSHOLES TO LEAvvveee..." he started as he turned around... and saw Your Iron Crowbar standing there, tapping my crowbar into the palm of my hand.

"Take a walk, Buchannan." I said. Buchannan got up, closed his locker, and left. McCombs tried to follow him out, but found a red crowbar in front of his chest, impeding his way.

"I didn't tell you you could go." I said, my voice low and menacing. "And you wanna play the rank-pulling game? I'm one hell of a lot better at than you are... Sergeant."

"I want a Union Rep." McCombs said.

"I'm sure you do." I replied. "You're going to have to fight your way out of here to get one. But I'm not asking questions, I'm giving you orders. Let me be clear: I don't know why you're harassing that Police Officer, but I better not hear of it happening again... by anyone. And if I do, I'll take it out on you."

I turned to go. "Oh, one more thing." I said, turning back. "You try to pull rank on other Officers like that again, and I'll make sure you can't... by busting your worthless ass down to Patrol Officer Trainee. Test me on that. Please."

And with that, I left the locker room, headed towards Captain Abram's office...

Part 18 - Seeking Council

7:30pm, Wednesday, May 6th. The public Council Chamber was packed full of Citizens, the vast majority of them black. Many were wearing t-shirts showing them to be supporters of Dr. Joseph E. Williams, but there were also contingents that were Silas supporters and Stacey Jacobs supporters. The non-blacks in the audience were Malinda Adams supporters.

A strong contingent of Deputy Sheriffs was present, and armed-and-armored TCPD 2nd Shift Officers were in a nearby room, just out of sight. I was standing next to Lt. Commander Croyle on the floor of the Chamber, to the audience's left side. Both of us (still) had our armor on over our uniform shirts. We were not there for security; we would be attending the expected Executive Session, along with the Police Chief and the Sheriff

"What's with this crowd?" Teresa asked.

"People upset with the Election results." I replied. "And that water main break didn't help matters."

"Think it was deliberate?" Teresa asked.

"One of the largest water pipes in the building bursts wide open." I said. "The water floods the area right where bins of votes were put. The shutoff valve was stuck, all but welded open. I dunno, what do you think about coincidences?"

Teresa chuckled, then said "So what's going to happen?"

I said "I dunno. They'll sort it out."

Just then, the Council Members and the Mayor filed into the room and took their seats. Mayor Daniel Allgood gaveled the meeting into order, then handled the paperwork issues. After that, he said "Old Business? Second Readings?" There was very little old business, and it was dispatched quickly.

"New Business?" asked the Mayor. "Edward Steele is recognized."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor." said Edward R. Steele. "We have a special request for an Public Safety Department award. As it is a personnel matter, we will ultimately need to go into Executive Session. I am not making the Executive Session motion now."

"I'm seconding that motion for that award." said Ian McGhillie.

Mayor Allgood said "Before we take up this motion, I want to address the audience. I know that many of you came here to speak about the Election results from last night. You may also know that a water pipe failure has led to severe damage of the votes cast, as well as damage to many of the counting machines and the servers."

Mayor Allgood: "We, the Mayor and Council, have no answers for you about any of that. It's up to the State as well as the political Parties to sort it out and decide what will happen going forward. So if you're here to speak about that, it's premature, and we need to find out what's going on, and I'd suggest coming back next week to voice your concerns."

The crowd did not like that, and were making booing and hissing noises. The Mayor asked if anyone was there to say something that was not related to the Election. No one approached the microphone.

John Colby, his baritone voice always a bit surprising to hear from his wiry body, said "I move we go into Executive Session to discuss the motion under consideration." The Council was all too eager to pass that, 10-0.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I went into the private Council Chamber with the Council Members, joined by Chief Moynahan and Sheriff Griswold, and sat down in the chairs on the left side of the wall. The Sergeant-At-Arms was also there.

"Okay, Mr. Steele," said Mayor Allgood, "why don't you explain what this is about."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor." said Edward R. Steele, handing out folders. "For many years, TCPD Detective J.J. Perry, nicknamed 'Ice Cube', acted as a deep undercover operative, leading an exceptionally dangerous life. Because of this, he never was able to participate in Police functions nor even appear in the Police Headquarters building. The folders I just handed you contain his record of exceptional undercover service."

"Recently," continued Steele, "Detective Perry's identity became public after a Federal Agent unmasked his identity to the Media and an attorney known to be hostile to Police, making it necessary to bring him in from the cold, so to speak. Because of this, the Sheriff, on behalf of the TCPD, has submitted this award request now, and will award Detective Perry immediately upon our positive action, rather than wait for the August ceremonies."

"Why now?" Kelly Carnes snottily asked. She had not bothered to read the contents of the folder provided to her. "Why can't this wait until August?"

"Commander Troy?" Mayor Allgood said.

"I didn't ask him!" Carnes yelled. "I asked Councilman Steele!"

"And I called upon Commander Troy to answer the question." Daniel Allgood said levelly. "And one more outburst like that from you, Carnes, and I'll have any one of these Police Officers arrest you and take you to jail."

"Dibs!" Teresa called out, earning her some glares from several Council Members. I fist-bumped her, which did not improve their mood.

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor." I said. "There are two reasons we want to award Detective Perry this medal immediately. First, to introduce or re-introduce him to the Force by awarding this in front of them. And second, just in case someone tries to murder him before August."

"Therefore," said Edward Steele, "I move that we award Detective J.J. Perry the Distinguished Service Medal."

"And I second." said Ian McGhillie.

"And there he goes again." said Susan Weston. "Commander Troy giving out medals like candy."

The Chief all but backhand-slapped me on the chest to keep me from replying as he said "Are you suggesting, Ms. Weston, that Detective Perry's years of sacrifice and achievement do not merit that award?"

Susan Weston said "I'm saying that the TCPD gives out medals, and the highest medals, like candy. The Distinguished Service Medal is supposed to be awarded after a full career of service with distinction, preceding retirement or a transfer, such as Fire Marshal Zoe Singer's move to the EMS. If it had been up to me, Chief, neither Commander Troy nor Lieutenant Commander Croyle would have been awarded DSMs."

"Withhold my surprise." I said acidly.

Weston ignored me and continued: "I move to amend this bill, to award Detective Perry a more appropriate award, the Police Medal."

"I second the motion." said Sheila Sorrells.

Mayor Allgood said "Let's go around the horn for comments. Carnes?"

"As you know," Kelly Carnes said sneeringly, "I will not vote for any positive Police actions as long as Donald Troy is employed by the Police Force."

Reginald B.F. Lewis said "Perry is black?"

"I bee-lieeeve he is of mixed ethnici-teeeesss." said the Chief.

"Aren't we all?" fired Edward Steele at Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"So he's a half... no I better not say that." said Reginald B.F. Lewis, smiling as if it were a joke. The Democrats on the Council thought that was funny. Your Iron Crowbar did not. And the tapping of my red crowbar into my palm as I stood up with a frighteningly menacing look on my face was their first clue they were about to cross the line.

"I think a Police Medal is adequate." Lewis said, looking over his shoulder as if he expected to see a crowbar being swung at his head.

When it was J.P. Goldman's turn, he gave them both barrels: "I guess Ms. Weston didn't feel adequately rewarded during her unexceptional Police career; hence, her disrespectful comments about the well-deserved awards our Public Service personnel have received over the years." Susan Weston glared hatefully at Goldman.

He went on unperturbed: "I'd like for everyone to think about what J.J. Perry went through for this County's citizens. Risking his life consorting with the filthiest of criminals. Risking his life to get the information he learned to the TCPD, so that they could use it. Having to watch his back every minute of the day, never knowing if the next moment was his last. Sleeping with his eyes open. Unable to associate with his fellow Officers."

"And for what?" Goldman finished. "Being outed by a dirty Federal Agent. Definitely having to watch his back now. And now told that the medal he truly deserves is 'candy'. I find you despicable, Ms. Weston---"

"POINT OF ORDER!" all the Democrats yelled.

"Noted." said the Mayor, tapping his gavel. "Finish up, Mr. Goldman."

"I'll find out what all of you really are when you take these next two votes." said Goldman. "Do you support our Police? Or not?"

"Let's vote." said Allgood after the debate was done. The vote was 5-5 on the Amendment. "The Mayor votes 'nay', and the amendment is defeated. Do we need discussion on the motion, or move to the vote?"

The vote was 5-5, and Daniel Allgood said "The vote being tied, the Mayor votes 'Yea', and the motion carries. Do I hear a Motion to Adjourn?" He certainly did.

Part 19 - Hiring Practices

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, May 7th, from the parking lot of the Town & County Election Center. "A major catastrophe leaves the results of Tuesday's primaries in limbo!"

Bettina began: "A water main break here at the Election Center severely damaged vote counting equipment as well as a large portion of the ballots that were to be recounted in the Council District currently served by Reginald B.F. Lewis. The first vote tally showed former Board of Inquest Commissioner Edgar Silas winning by 228 votes. Just a few hours after the recount was started, the water main break occurred."

Bettina: "Because it was a Primary and not a General Election, it is unclear what will happen going forward. Stacy Jacobs, who ran against Malinda Adams for Adams's Council seat, is demanding a new race, as is Dr. Joseph E. Williams. Dr. Williams has promised legal action if another race is not run, while his opponent, Edgar Silas, declared victory. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Silas yelling to supporters at an outdoor rally: "I won this race, and I call upon Joseph Williams to concede! He lost because he chose to associate himself with abusive cop Donald Troy! My win is a mandate to remove Donald Troy from the TCPD, and if they won't fire him, then I will defund the Police!"

Back to Bettina live: "The original results had been sent to the State Secretary of State, so the Statewide races are unaffected by the water main break. It will be up to the political Parties as well as State officials to determine what will happen next..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You knowwwww," mused Chief Moynahan as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room, "Silas used to be a fair, impartial man on the Boards of Inquiry. Then he started changing. I used to think Finneran was influencing him, but after that display of hatred against our Police Commanderrrrr, I wonder where all that hate has come from."

"Chief," said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, "you're not blaming The Batman for the Joker's hatred, are you?"

"Nooooooo." replied Chief Moynahan. "I'm just wondering what really drove Silas over the cliffff."

"I'd say the final straw was when I chaired the Charter Commission to write Boards of Inquiry clean out of existence." I said. "But Silas was already going down the Dark Path. I'm the one they name, but maybe it's the Police in general that he hates."

"Not that it's my day to babysit him," said Commander Cindy Ross, "but where is the Sheriff this morning?"

I said "I think he's having coffee with the Fire Department leadership. Probably making casual inquiries about that water pipe break. And just so you all know... the Fire Department treated that like an arson case. They found that the pipe was rigged with thermite, which cut the pipe in two, and wasn't put out by the water blasting out. The water valve was sprayed with a chemical like Loc-Tite, which froze it up so it couldn't be shut off. But that wasn't done very recently; that valve has been that way for months, maybe a couple of years."

Captain Tanya Muscone said "The State Crime Lab is analyzing the water pipe and the thermite. It may have been rigged days ago or months ago, as well, but we'll have to see what comes back from their tests."

Cindy said "I don't see how it could've been done in the past few days. Either it's been busy with employees and watchers in the building, or Deputy Sheriffs have been guarding it while it was empty."

"I agree that it would take some doing to get in there this week." I said. "And that's why I think it was done in the days or weeks beforehand."

"So they planned to do that all along?" asked the Green Crowbar skeptically.

I nodded vigorously, and said "Yes, and I believe it was the Adams-Jacobs race they were trying to steal, and had that contingency put in just in case something like this recount might happen. And I find that to be just a little bit... scary."

"You don't just buy thermite or make it at home." Tanya said. "Someone with access to that stuff bespeaks either a lot of money... or a Government influence, there."

"You sound like an FBI Agent." I said. "What, you married to one or something?"

"Same reason you sound like a CIA Spook with a ton of conspiracy theories." Tanya fired back. "What, you married to one or something?" We all broke out laughing.

"Touché." I conceded.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching the KFXU broadcast, which discussed the deliberate water damage and its ramifications, Cindy, Tanya, Teresa, and I began the Angels meeting.

"We're starting to see signs that the perps are reacting to J.J. Perry being outed." Tanya said. "Three C.I.s quit being C.I.s, and two have left the County. No dead bodies have shown up, but there's a lot of scrutiny going on, and people are being 'asked' (air quotes) to show their loyalty."

I said "The Teacher really closed ranks. And as an aside, I've put out the word that if anyone tries to take a shot at Ice Cube or harm him in any way, the Crowbar is going to come down on everyone like a ton of bricks. T-Square infinitely prefers not to have Police Officers raiding his clubs, and he's sent the word down to T-Mac. And The Teacher doesn't want his junkyard burned out to ashes and his people constantly being arrested."

"Doesn't matter anyway." Cindy said. "The Feds are coming for Ice Cube. The DEA really wants him, either to go undercover or to teach others the spycraft."

"We'll see about that!" Tanya said. "I'm going to fight to keep him."

"I'm not worried about Ice Cube leaving." I said. "I'm a lot more worried about water main breaks and incidents involving the Black Community... and the Union's strange actions around all that."

"What's going to happen with the elections?" asked Teresa. "New ones?"

"You tell me." I said, which earned me some less-than-Angelic looks from all of my Angels.

"This is a sheer guess." admitted Tanya. "But I think they'll have to have another election in the County."

Teresa said "I think they'll re-do the two Council primaries. Especially if your thesis that Stacey Jacobs was trying to steal Malinda Adams's seat is true."

"According to my sources," said Cindy, "none of the Republican races were close, so they don't want to pay for a re-do. The Democrats still might, though; that's undecided as of this morning."

I nodded. "And your sources are pretty much correct." I said. "However... I'm hearing that the Democrats are happy with the Silas outcome, and are willing to cut bait and drop the attempt to force Jacobs on the Council. And they don't want to pay for another election. So my edumacated guess is there will not be a re-do."

I then said: "Okay, tell me about the morale of our Police Force, especially vis-a-vis the Union."

Teresa said "The Union has been contacting a lot of Officers, maybe gauging how the rank-and-file feel about the McCombs and McElwane situations. But I'm not hearing of any widespread disgruntlement."

"Okay, good." I said. "Tanya, I'm going to interview Terry Halston today for the Intel Branch. He's Carole's classmate Tommy's cousin, and he was an Army Rangers in Afghanistan. Word is that he has some mad skills with computers, but even more, with drones and communications equipment. But he has PTSD. So have both Lieutenants Milton be there for it... if I may borrow Myron, Deputy Chief Ross?"

"By all means." Cindy said. "Would you like me in on it?"

"By all means." I replied...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Thursday, May 7th. Terry Halston looked like an Army Ranger: lean, fit, chiseled face, and a full head of black hair. His eyes were blue and penetrating... then one noticed they seemed to roam all over the place. He also had nervous twitches that were either precursors to Parkinson's Disease, or aftereffects of PTSD.

He came into the Main Conference Room dressed in blue jeans, a plaid shirt with a white t-shirt underneath, and a windbreaker jacket. The clothes were old but clean.

Present for the interview were me, Cindy, Tanya, and Mary Milton. I immediately established some rapport with him by saying "Thank you for coming in, Ranger Halston."

"Were you in the Rangers?" Terry asked, his face lighting up a bit.

"No, I never had the privilege." I said. "I was in an Airborne M.P. Reserve Unit. And I appreciate all you did for our country."

The interview went fairly well. Halston occasionally stuttered a bit, but was very knowledgable about things like drones, explosives, and firearms, and he had some good though basic computer skills. He brought up his own record very quickly when asked to by Mary Milton.