Black Ties and Green Dresses

Story Info
Filling in at the gala has an unexpected reward.
7k words
4.51
8.9k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a pretty typical Thursday; I was at my desk going though the month's invoices. Janitorial service, document storage and destruction, copier service, and on and on and on. I supposed that somewhere in the vastness of time and space there was a 23-year-old girl having more fun than I was, but the odds were slim.

I heard the front door open and looked up from the monitor. My desk was positioned so that I had a clear view of the receptionist's desk, and I watched as Mrs. Lund walked in. She stopped for a moment to chat with the receptionist then she was headed directly for my desk with a big smile on her face. I just noticed the receptionist picking up the phone and dialing before Mrs. Lund was in front of me.

"Hello, Kellie, how are you dear?"

"Wonderful," I caught myself just before I said Mrs. Lund, "Ellen, how are you."

Feeling a bit relieved that I had avoided another "chat" over that matter. If I slipped and called her Mrs. Lund I'd get the same gentle chiding, "Kellie, dear, if you insist on calling me that then I will have no choice to but start addressing you as Miss Pemberton, and that would break my heart."

I just found it difficult to call a woman older than my Mother, and our Senior Partner's wife to boot, by her first name. The worst part was she was quite sincere, she would absolutely start calling me Miss Pemberton and she would just as surely feel awful about it. She was one of the most genuinely kind people I'd ever met, and since her daughter's death I think I'd become at least a little bit of an outlet for her maternal instinct.

Ellen was a one-woman stereotype wrecking ball. Her family was old money, some of her relatives had been investing in Florida alongside Henry Flagler when the whole state was a barely inhabited marsh. They'd ridden out real estate booms and busts, owned sugar plantations, orange groves, hotels, and God knows what else, and made money all the while. In spite of that distinguished pedigree Ellen didn't have a pretentious bone in her body and was the furthest thing from a snob you could imagine. She spent her free time raising money for one charity or another, and helping anyone she could.

A few years ago, she had been stopping by the office and found the cleaning lady, Maria, in her car crying. She'd climbed into the passenger seat and started talking to her. Found out the car wouldn't start and it was the last straw in a week of catastrophes for Maria. Ellen had driven her to the grocery store, helped her get her shopping done, paid for the lot of it, while also calling a tow truck. She'd paid for the car repairs, and a new set of tires while she was at it.

No one in the office would have been the wiser if Maria hadn't brought two trays of her homemade tamales in the next week along with a thank you card for Ellen. One of the paralegals had gotten the story out of Maria, and another page was added to the legend of Ellen.

"I'm just fine, thanks for asking. And while we're asking, tell me, have you found yourself a boyfriend?"

I blushed a little, "No, Ellen, can't say that I've really been looking. Just too busy with everything else."

She smiled, "That's it, no sense in rushing, Bradley and I were in our 30s when we got married, and I never regretted waiting for him."

"Speak of the devil," she continued and I turned to see Mr. Lund approaching my desk.

She gave him a hug and a kiss before continuing," Darling, I was just talking to Kellie and we've solved our little problem for the gala."

Mr. Lund looked at me and I looked back with my best, "I have no idea what she's talking about" expression. He gave me a knowing smile, I suppose you couldn't be married to her for 25 years without knowing the game, before turning back to Ellen.

"Which problem was that dear, and how have you ladies solved it?"

"Why, the empty seat at the gala, you know, on account of Paul's wife being out of town next week? Anyway, Kellie here can join us, I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time and it will spare us the embarrassment of having an empty chair."

It suddenly clicked in my mind, the firm had made a $15,000 donation to a childhood cancer research charity, and consequently had a 10-person table at their ball next weekend. Paul was one of the partners in the firm, and his wife was in Denver, helping their daughter with her first child.

"I'm surprised Kellie doesn't already have plans," Mr. Lund responded looking at me questioningly. I'd known him long enough to know he was giving me an out, and I honestly didn't have any interest in going. On the other hand, I'd hate to let Ellen down, it did seem like she really wanted me to go for whatever reason.

"Oh, no plans Mr. Lund, I really appreciate the opportunity, and I'll do my best to represent the firm."

He nodded, "Well, I'm glad you will be able to join us then," he paused for a moment and I caught Ellen nudging him, "Oh, yes...and how are you coming on those invoices?"

"Just finishing up, they will be waiting for you in the morning."

"Wonderful, I do love starting my day with invoices," he shook his head, grinned at me and headed back to his office after giving his wife another kiss.

Ellen remained at my desk as he walked away, "So Kellie dear, have you been to one of these black-tie events before?"

"I'm afraid I haven't."

"I suspect that means you don't really have any formal wear?" she said in a tone that made it clear it was a question.

"Not really, I think the most formal thing I have is a bridesmaid dress from last year, but I can get something this weekend."

"Oh, you certainly can," she said a gleeful smile on her face.

She took her phone out of her pocket and placed a call.

"Martha, darling, how are you?"

"I'm so glad to hear that, listen I was wondering if you could perhaps do me a little favor."

"Wonderful, listen, a dear friend is joining me for gala next Friday, and she doesn't have a thing to wear."

"No, quite literally I'm afraid, the poor girl doesn't have anything appropriate to the occasion. I was hoping you could take care of her?"

"Yes, she can be there tomorrow afternoon."

"1 o'clock is perfect, hang on a moment."

She put the phone down and looked back at me, "Kellie, can I be a bit presumptuous?"

Well, you just scheduled me for a dress fitting, why stop now I thought with a laugh, "Of course."

"Well, I was thinking, you have a wonderful sense of style, but I was at Martha's last week and saw an amazing dress, it would be perfect for the event and more importantly be perfect on you. I'd have bought it myself if I had the figure to pull it off."

She shook her head a bit wistfully. She was a very attractive woman, but she didn't have the classic female figure. She wasn't fat by any stretch, but she was built for rugby, not ballet. Tall, with broad shoulders, good hardy pioneer stock my Mom would say.

"Anyway, you certainly don't have to wear it, but I'd like Martha to show it to you, and I do hope you'll consider it."

"That sounds fine, I really don't have any sense of what to wear to this kind of thing."

I was starting to wonder how close I was to maxing out my credit card, any dress Ellen would consider buying was well out of my price range.

She put the phone back to her ear and continued, "Sorry Martha, just had to check with Kellie. Please show her that dress you and I talked about last week."

"Yes, that one, I think it will look lovely on her, you'll understand when you meet her, and please just hold the bill and I'll take care of it next time I'm in."

"Exactly, the dress and everything else she needs, and I do mean everything. Don't let her get all bashful, I'll be disappointed in both of you if all I see is a bill for that dress. She keeps Bradley out of trouble and this office running like a Swiss watch, I've got to take care of her."

"Lovely, I'll see you next week then."

She hung up the phone and turned back to me, picking up a sticky note and a pen from my desk she wrote down an address.

"Stop by tomorrow at 1, I'll let Bradley know you are going to be out. Martha will take good care of you, and I know you heard me, get EVERYTHING you need. I know you are a modest girl and not one to take advantage. You are not taking advantage, I really appreciate you joining us and the least I can do is make sure you are prepared, OK?"

"Of course, Ellen, and thank you again."

"Well, now that that is settled, I'm going to go fetch my husband, we have things to do."

She headed down the hall, and I returned to my invoices.

After lunch on Friday, I headed to the address she had given me. My Jeep looked rather out of place in a parking lot full of BMWs, Mercedes and the odd Porsche, and I was a bit nervous as I went inside.

A saleswoman approached immediately, I felt her size me up, and it was clear from her tone that she had found me wanting. I was well dressed, but I doubted if my whole outfit cost more than any single item in this place.

"May I help you?" she asked anyway.

"Yes, I was told to ask for Martha, she's expecting me."

The other woman's attitude seemed to immediately change, "Let me go her, please have a look around."

She hurried off, and I began to browse. My initial impression had been correct, they hadn't even bothered with price tags on anything. That was never a good sign. I had just finished looking through a rack of blouses when a distinguished looking older woman approached with a smile, and the saleswoman in tow.

"Kellie, darling, so good to finally meet you. Ellen has already told me all about you."

She swept in and gave me a hug, and from the expression on the saleswoman's face I assumed this was not normal behavior.

Martha took both my hands in hers, "There is a dress Ellen really wanted me to show you, if you'd like we can go back to the fitting room and Brenda will get it for us."

I smiled meekly, "What ever you think is best."

"Excellent, this way," she released one hand, still holding the other she led me towards the back of the store. She shot a quick glance at the saleswoman. Apparently, she was Brenda, who then scurried off.

We ended up in a room, maybe 10 feet on a side, the walls covered in mirrors. A white couch, flanked by end tables and two comfortable chairs sat in the middle of room.

"Would you like a drink, a glass of wine perhaps?" Martha asked.

"I'm fine, thank you, I've got to get back to work after this."

Martha nodded, "ahh, I forgot, Ellen mentioned you kept an eye on Bradley for her."

I laughed, "I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it. I'm just the office manager. I'll admit that I keep certain snacks that are against his doctor's advice out of the breakroom, but that's about the extent of it."

It was Martha's turn to laugh, "Well, don't underestimate the importance of that. I don't think any of these men would make it to 50 without us."

Brenda returned with a dress in hand and placed it on a hook on the wall, Martha made a subtle gesture and the other woman stepped out.

Martha and I walked over to it, "What do you think?" the older woman asked.

"It's lovely."

It was a dark green satin mermaid dress, with an intricate patten of dark green matte lace overlaying the satin. The lace had occasional silver sequins. This created a contrast between the matte lace, the shiny satin and the sequins that made it seem to shimmer as the fabric moved. It had a sweetheart neckline, although it plunged low between the breasts. Fortunately, the bust was covered in a dark green sheer fabric, with the lace continuing from the satin over the sheer material.

Martha lifted it off the hook and turned it around for me, the back was entirely the sheer fabric down to the waist, with the exception of a strip of satin, maybe an inch wide that ran straight up the back, obviously concealing the zipper.

"What do you think?" Martha asked.

I thought about it for a moment. It was certainly beautiful, and I was afraid to ask how much it cost. On the other hand, it was a bit more revealing than I would have ever chosen. The sheer material forming the back went halfway around the sides of the dress above the waistline. Everything would be covered but not by much. If Ellen hadn't suggested it, I would have assumed it was inappropriate for this kind of event, but she was definitely the expert.

"Well," I finally answered, "I suppose I should at least try it on."

Martha smiled, "Ellen has a pretty good eye for sizes, I think this one is pretty close."

The older woman hung the dress back up, "Well, let's get this on you."

I hesitated for a moment, realizing Martha wasn't going anywhere, and this was not the kind of dress you wore a bra under. I'm not that modest, but I wasn't sure how I felt about being in just my panties in front of a woman I'd met 10 minutes ago.

Martha apparently sensed the problem, "Kellie, it's ok, I've seen more boobs than Hugh Hefner, there's nothing to be nervous about."

I took a deep breath and started to get undressed. 5 minutes later I was wearing the dress, looking at myself in the mirrors.

It looked good, really, really good. Being only 5ft 1in, mermaid dresses helped accentuate my curves without making me look even shorter, and the neckline and plunge in the bust showed off my breasts in a very flattering way. The sides weren't quite as revealing as I'd first thought, I wouldn't have to spend the night keeping my elbows pressed to my side for fear of showing something I didn't want to.

Martha had a small notepad in her hand, and was jotting things down.

"Well, what do you think?" she finally asked.

"I think I'll take it."

"That's what I expected, let me get someone in here to take some measurements, and we'll have this thing fitting like a glove."

She stepped out for a moment and returned with two other women who were soon taking measurements and pinning things.

While that was going on Brenda appeared with several pairs of shoes. Martha recommended a beautiful pair of black 4in heels. They were elegantly simple, a black strap over the toes, and a single black strap coming off the heel and wrapping around the ankle.

The seamstresses finished their work and I was able to put my own clothes back on. Martha informed me that we weren't done yet. She took me to the back corner of the store, there was a beautiful black lace garter belt with matching stockings and lace panties she had already picked out.

"I think these would go perfect with that dress," what about you?

I nodded in agreement. I touched the fabric, feeling the delicate softness.

"It feels really weird to say I'll take them when..." I trailed off.

Martha smiled, "I understand, Ellen is a wonderful woman. If it makes you feel better, I'm only going to charge her my cost, if you promise when people ask where you got that dress you send them here."

"Oh, I will I promise."

"I might even have to persuade you to let me get my photographer over here after we get the alterations done."

I blushed a little, "Now you're just teasing me."

"Fashion is serious business; I never joke about that. With your red hair and bust, that dress was made for you. I'd love have a few pictures. Do consider it, would you?"

"I will," I glanced at the time, "but I really need to be getting back to work."

She shook her head, "I wish my staff was half as conscientious, they'd play hooky all day in your shoes."

I took the shoes and the lingerie and headed back to work. I'd only been at my desk for a few minutes when Mr. Lund asked to see me in his office.

He closed the door behind me and asked me to sit down.

"Look, I know how Ellen is, and I really don't want you to feel pressured to do this."

"It's fine Mr. Lund, it did take me a bit by surprise, but I think it might be fun. Worst case it's probably like being stuck at a boring wedding, right?"

He chuckled a little, "That's probably about right. A bunch of over dressed people making small talk with people they haven't seen in ages and won't see again until the next one."

"Anyway," he continued, "I just wanted to be sure you were okay with this. It's at the Waldorf, and the firm's usual policy on alcohol applies, so we'll have a room for you. If you get bored and want to sneak off early, please feel free. I'm not trying to get rid of you, mind you, just don't want you to feel trapped with the dinosaurs."

"I appreciate that Mr. Lund; I'll try not to let the side down."

"I know you won't, it's been what, 5 years? And you haven't let us down yet. That's all I had for you."

"Thank you," I told him as I got up and returned to my desk.

The firm's policy he had referred to was regarding drinking. Anytime we had a company function that included alcohol it was held at a hotel or a restaurant with a hotel within walking distance and the firm provided rooms for everyone attending. The Lund's daughter had been killed by a drunk driver, and the expectation was if you had a single drink, you were spending the night. People who didn't work for the firm sometimes claimed it was intrusive or overbearing. Those of us at the firm who had experienced a parent's grief over losing their child like that figured it was the least we could do to give them peace of mind.

Back at my desk I called Martha, what the heck I thought, it would probably be the one time in my life I was asked to model something. I made arrangements to pick up the dress afterwork on Wednesday, and she would try and have her photographer there to take some pictures.

The days sped by, when I arrived at the boutique on Wednesday not only did Martha have her photographer ready and waiting but someone to do my hair and makeup. It ended up being quite a lot of fun, and I realized I probably wouldn't get this treatment again until I was taking my bridal pictures someday.

I left work a bit early Friday, I already had the dress and my other things in the Jeep, and headed to the Waldorf. I decided to splurge and let the valet park the Jeep, and was quickly checked in and up to my room. It was a lovely room, king size bed and a balcony overlooking the Bonet Creek Nature preserve. I resisted the temptation to take a nap. The bed was sinfully comfortable and I'd probably oversleep and miss the event.

I unpacked my things, took a quick shower and started on my hair and makeup. I'd picked up some wonderful tips at the photoshoot on styling my hair to work with the dress and I did my best to replicate what she had done.

It was almost 6 when I finished, the VIP reception, which the firm had been invited to, was starting soon. I grabbed my room key and suddenly realized I had no place to put it. Every other time I'd worn something even vaguely similar I'd had a date with handy pockets I could borrow for my ID and debit card, this was my first-time flying solo. Well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do I supposed, and carefully pulled my dress up far enough to slip my license and room key into my stocking.

That problem settled and ticket in hand, I headed to the ballroom. I managed to locate the lounge where the VIP reception was being held and Ellen managed to locate me. She was wearing a beautiful black evening gown and she took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I KNEW you would look ravishing in that dress. Martha wouldn't tell me what you'd decided, the tease, and I've been dying to find out. Now, let me introduce you to some people."

She flagged down a waiter and drinks in hand I got a ring side seat watching a master socialite operate. I couldn't have remembered the names of the flurry of people I was introduced to if I'd had time to write them down. Ellen knew everyone, and not just names, but all kinds of seemingly trivial, but obviously important deals that enabled her to connect with people. Sometime it was a friendly chat and nothing more, other times she pointed them at other people with subtle suggestions that they should go chat with another person who was across the room. Always connecting people. It was fascinating to watch, but it also brought a tinge of sadness as I realized this was more of her maternal instinct. She was introducing me the same way she would have introduced her daughter.

12