Blade of the Nymph Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Only a few seconds had passed and already almost half the kabirii were dead or crippled. But before Astra could press her advantage one of the surviving kabirii unlimbered a rough leather lasso from it's back and managed to catch its loop around her left arm. The kabiri tugged the lasso tight around her arm and, with the help of a comrade, it attempted to pull her off her feet.

Astra's inner flame burned bright as she dropped the spears and grabbed ahold of the rope. With a surge of strength, she spun and simply yanked both kabirii off their feet. They were too stupid or shocked to let go of the rope, allowing Astra to twirl them around, keeping the other kabirii at bay for a moment. She slammed them both into the pack of kabirii still perched on top of the carriage, sending the entire group sprawling.

With a croaking battle-cry, another kabiri leapt at her and caught Astra's palm on its broad chin. The blow drove it's jawbone backwards, dislocating it hard enough to crush the kabiri's windpipe. As it choked on its own throat she snatched up the hatchet it had wielded.

She took a cautious stance, twirling the hatchet in a figure-eight pattern. The initial shock of her attack was wearing off and the kabirii had taken the measure of her strength. They weren't smart by any means but like any predator, they had a certain amount of animal cunning. Their strength lay in numbers and while Astra was strong, she was also a single, naked woman armed with a crude, undersized weapon.

The kabirii formed a circle around her as she prowled left and right. They tested her defenses, lunging and feinting to try and find an opening to swarm her. For her part, Astra weighed her options, searching the battlefield for a better weapon that might help even the odds.

That's when she spotted an opportunity. Near the cliff lay a four-foot staff topped with a foot-long, single-edged blade. The weapon clearly belonged to one of the elves, it was far too fine to be kabiri-make and the design was unfamiliar. But it looked like it would serve to turn the tide, extending her already significant reach advantage and allowing her to keep the kabirii at bay so they couldn't overwhelm her.

She drew another breath and envisioned the glow of her inner fire suffusing her legs. She crouched down, one hand holding the hatchet and the other on the ground. The kabirii saw the momentary stillness as an opportunity and began to close the circle around her.

Astra launched herself forward with the speed of an arrow launched from a bow. Velocity alone made it difficult for the kabirii to stop her. One tried to raise its club to stop her but instead of attacking it she simply leapt on top of it, balancing for a split-second on the surprise kabiri's head. Then she launched herself off with another burst of speed, driving the kabiri's skull into the dirt with the force of her kick-off.

She landed about ten yards away in a crouch. The elvish sword-spear was almost within reach so she took the opportunity to toss her hatchet at one of the kabirii that attempted to rush after her, catching it in the face.

However, before she could reach for the sword-spear there was a rustling of leaves above her and a kabiri dropped from the tree-branches onto her shoulders. The thing was gripping a thick rope which it wrapped around her neck like a garrotte.

Astra stumbled with the sudden weight as the kabiri yanked backward like a horseman trying to control a rebellious steed. The rough hemp of the rope scratched at her throat and her breathing was cut off. Denied fuel, her inner flame flickered as she struggled to get the smaller creature off her back.

Clawing at the rope would be useless with it wrapped so tightly around her throat and the kabiri was too far back and down for her to grab. It croaked triumphantly as she wobbled, almost dropping to one knee. Astra regained her footing, positioning herself to slam backwards into the tree in an attempt to crush the unwanted passenger.

But then one of the other kabirii caught the trailing lasso still caught on her arm. It yanked hard, pulling her off balance again. Then it was joined by a second kabiri and together both tugged her almost completely off her feet. Without fresh air, she couldn't gather the strength to send them flying like the first time.

Overconfident, one of the remaining kabirii tried to come in with a broad-bladed knife, looking to end her the same way they had slain the elven warrior. But Astra managed to grab the kabiri's wrist with her free hand and twisted, sending the knife to the ground and then snapping the kabiri's arm with a vicious jerk.

Astra reached for the fallen dagger. If she could get it then she could cut the lasso on her arm, freeing her to slice through the rope that was cutting off her breathing. But then the kabirii tugged her again, pulling her away from the prize. There were only three of them left, but her vision was starting to go dark as her inner flame guttered, dying without fuel.

***********

Casshern struggled desperately to hold the carriage's door shut as the kabirii outside croaked at him in whatever awful language they spoke. He had heard Edleghard's death-cry just a few seconds ago and he had no idea what happened to Noradella after the carriage was knocked over. He thought he might have hit his head because he couldn't clearly remember the next few minutes, he only came to when the carriage door had been yanked open, revealing the flat, drooling face of a kabiri.

He had managed to catch the creature unaware with a sharp kick, although it left his ankle smarting, and slammed the door closed again. Now there were several of the horrible little monsters trying to pull it open and he was desperately holding it down with all the strength and weight in his slight frame.

He looked desperately for some type of weapon, but everything inside the carriage was in total disarray. He knew he had a carnelian stone somewhere in his gem pouch and if he could get ahold of it he'd at least be able to create a protective ward. But everything was jumbled into a pile at his feet and if he let go of the door for even a moment the kabirii would seize the chance to swarm the carriage.

But if he did nothing then eventually his arms would give way and he'd find himself helpless. Casshern was no warrior and he could already feel the muscles in his slender arms burning with fatigue. He decided to take a risk and let go of the handle with one hand, reaching down and tugging at the sash of his linen kimono. If he could tie the handle shut then perhaps he'd have time to locate something to defend himself.

While he was undoing his sash the kabirii outside gave a tremendous tug that nearly pulled him off his feet. Casshern had to grab the handle with both hands again and plant his feet against the seat for leverage as the kabirii outside croaked and slammed their flat, wrinkled hands against the walls of the carriage.

"Mulberries!" He swore as the thrashing pulled his kimono open, causing his sash to flutter to the ground and out of his reach. His fingers ached and his arms felt like they might pop from their sockets. Any minute now his grip would give way and the kabirii would pull him from the carriage.

There was nothing left but prayer, "H-High Lord, Father of the People. Please...please look kindly on my service and my deeds. Accept me into the halls of my ancestors and write my name in the-"

His desperate prayers were interrupted by a bone-shaking battle-cry that shook him to his core. It was primitive magic of some kind, some kind of crude spiritual assault. Fortunately, the People were not easily susceptible to such barbaric mysticism and his initiation as an Eremite provided him further protection. He was still shaken by perfectly ordinary, mundane fear but managed to keep his head clear.

The kabirii had not been so lucky and they finally stopped trying to wrest the carriage door open. Casshern blinked in confusion, still clinging to the door handle. Was the sound from some new enemy? Or an ally?

His question was answered by the renewed sounds of battle outside. Someone was fighting the kabirii and it sounded like they were winning. A few seconds later there was a tremendous crash above him and the carriage door no longer sagged beneath the weight of the kabarii above.

For a moment, Casshern considered just staying the carriage and hoping that whatever was outside would slay the kabirii and move on. But if the kabirii proved victorious then he'd be trapped all over again. He needed to take the opportunity to slip away. He hoped that Edleghard or Noradella might still be alive...perhaps he could help get them to safety while the kabirii were occupied.

He caught a glimmer out of the corner of his eye: the glint of light off a jewel. He snatched it up but his heart fell when he saw it was merely a polished fire agate. It was a feeble gem, a traveling convenience, useful for starting campfires and not much else. But he didn't have the time to search for anything more useful, like a carnelian or an onyx.

"High Lord, your servant will not fail you." Casshern murmured to himself, making the symbol of the tower over his heart. "I will be brave for you..."

Comforted by his prayer, he took a deep breath and pushed open the carriage door and pulled himself up, balancing unsteadily on the overturned carriage. One of his sandals had fallen off and the carved wood dug into the tender skin of his bare foot. As he climbed out the folds of his kimono were caught on the door handle, nearly pulling it off his shoulders and baring his chest and shoulder.

Fumbling with the robe his jaw dropped as he took in the scene before him. A tall, shapely and entirely nude woman was battling the diminutive monsters. He gaped, dumbfounded, as she spun and impaled an oncoming attacker with one of their own spears. She looked human but her aura identified her as a fey spirit, perhaps some kind of naiad or dryad. Wild fey were common guests in the grand palace of the People. They were a simple, sensual race concerned mainly with pleasures of the flesh and he had seen many fey consorts hanging off the arms of elvish lords.

But Casshern had never seen any fey woman who acted like this. She was tearing through the kabarii like they were nothing and she fought with the ferocity of a wolf and the speed and skill of one of the High Lord's elite guards. She was almost as fast as Noradella and while she didn't have the knight's grace, her punishing strength was obviously more than enough. He found his eyes caught by the shine of sweat on her skin, the movement of her lithe muscles and the sway of her breasts: large, bare and glistening.

He felt an involuntary stirring and winced at his wickedness. He made the sign of the tower once more, forcing the unclean desire from his mind. "High Lord, protect your servant from temptation and foul thoughts."

His chastisement was interrupted when he saw a small form drop onto the warrior-woman's back, wrapping a rope around her neck. She fought fiercely but the other kabarii closed in, ready to pull her down.

For a moment Casshern considered fleeing. The woman might be able to hold the kabiri's attention for a few more minutes while he escaped on his own. He was on a sacred mission in the service of the High Lord and surely if this savage fey-woman spent her last moments aiding him then her soul would be granted passage to the Golden Fields. Saving one of the People and aiding the revival of the High Lord would be an honor that few of her folk could aspire to.

But he felt hollow as he saw the woman stumble, fighting for air. Less than a minute ago she had been glowing with life, like a hawk taking wing in the open sky. Her savage, brilliant energy had been a thing of terrible beauty. Letting a few fat, croaking fiends tarnish that beauty seemed wrong, even in the service of the High Lord.

Casshern's gaze fell on the body of Edleghard, lying still in his blood-stained battle garb. The knight was beyond saving, his throat cut by one of the small monsters. This seemed wrong too. Edleghard had been one of the High Lord's elite Spatha warriors for almost 200 years. Now he would never fight again or regale Casshern with boring accounts of ancient plays or share stories of his young daughter's successes at the Academy.

Casshern looked down at the round fire agate in his hand, rubbing the stone nervously between its fingers.

*****

Astra's vision was fading to a fuzzy point of light. She wobbled as the kabarii tugged her again, falling to her knees. She felt blindly on the ground, hoping to find a weapon or at least a sharp rock. She would not allow these creatures to slay her without paying with at least one more life. The kabiri clinging to her back let out a triumphant, gurgling chuckle and tugged the rope tighter. Astra's head pounded in time with her heartbeat and she struggled to stay conscious under that unbearable pressure.

Suddenly, a new voice cut through the sound, a melodic tenor that Astra didn't recognize. "Tešiam!!"

There was a sudden flash of light and a wave of heat across her back. The imp clinging to her back shrieked and suddenly the weight and pressure were gone. She gasped, feeling her head clear with a rush of air into her lungs. The darkness faded from her eyes and the smoldering embers of her inner fire began to burn once more.

The kabiri tugged on her arm again, but this time she didn't resist. Instead, she rolled towards them and let their own momentum send them both toppling to the ground. She wrapped the leather strap of the lasso around the first cave-dweller's throat and pulled it off its feet. She planted a knee on the neck of another, pushing her full weight down to crush its throat.

"Not so fun when it's your neck in the noose, is it?" She hissed, her throat was sore and her voice raspy. The kabiri kicked its short legs against her stomach but it lacked the strength to inflict any damage. Moments later it went still.

Astra tossed the kabiri's limp body to the ground and took in the scene once more. The kabiri who had been strangling her lay on the ground, a smoking crater blown in its back. Sorcery of some kind. A young man stood a few yards away, near the topped carriage, wisps of smoke rising from his fingertips.

Astra ran her eyes up and down her rescuer's body. He was a slender little thing, barely any taller or broader of shoulder than the girl who had fallen from the cliff. His hair was long, straight and pitch-black and the tips of his ears peeking through his locks identified him as another elf. He was wearing a fine kimono which had come undone, revealing a slim frame underneath, with only a folded loincloth beneath. He had a soft, cute face and large, nervous eyes which reminded her of a frightened deer.

She let her eyes linger appreciatively on his torso. The elf was willowy but not bony and his delicacy was appealingly exotic. A series of unusual, spidery tattoos across his pelvis peeked out from above his loincloth, standing in stark contrast to his golden-beige skin. Astra decided to find out what was hiding below his waistband.

The near-death experience just a few minutes before was already a fading memory and instead, Astra was remembering the interrupted dalliance with Kal. And she'd never been with an elven man before.

"Were you the one who killed this monster?" Astra approached, kicking the still-smoking corpse as she passed.

The elf-lad looked at his fingers, an expression of slight disbelief on his face, "I...I overloaded the gem. I didn't know it would be so...messy."

He looked queasy but Astra quickly stepped between him and the corpse. She grabbed him by the chin and gently, but firmly, pulled his face towards hers. His short stature put her chest at face-level and she could see his eyes flicking over her bare breasts before hesitantly meeting her gaze with his beautiful amber eyes.

"Tell me your name," Astra commanded, keeping his eyes locked with hers.

"Um..." The elf swallowed nervously, "Maelenon Ordus Casshern"

Astra frowned, "That's a bit of a mouthful. Shall I just call you Mael?"

"Actually, Maelenon is my clan name. Casshern is my given name."

"Cass then."

"Ah, well the full pronounc-"

"Cass." Astra interrupted, "My name is Astra, daughter of Cyllene. You saved my life and I owe you a great debt."

Astra spoke in a firm, formal tone as though pronouncing a great oath. But on the inside, she was only imagining what she might find when she removed the elf's loincloth. Were elves hairless like nymphs, or would he have short curls like human men? She smiled as she imagined weaving her fingers into that long, black hair.

"Oh, well...you honor me..uh, " Casshern stuttered, "But I swear, it was nothing. You surely saved min-"

He fell silent when Astra moved her thumb from the side of his jaw to cover his lips. She let a playful edge slip into her tone as she continued. "No. If it weren't for you the battle would have been lost. The debt must be repaid."

She slipped an arm over his shoulder, pulling him slightly closer, and ran her hand down his neck, slipping it into the open front of his kimino. "I think I know something I could do to repay my debt."

"What? I don't really know whaaaa-"

His voice rose in pitch when she found his small, hard nipples and circled it with one finger. She almost burst out laughing when his eyes popped open, but she managed to keep her tone solemn and level. "As you can see, I don't have any worldly goods to offer as compensation. All I have to offer is my body. I hope it doesn't displease you."

She slipped her arm further into the elf's kimono and wrapped it around his slender waist, pulling him fully against her. His face was buried between her curvaceous breasts, muffling his attempted response. His skin was notably cooler than a human's and the sensation was pleasant against Astra's chest and stomach, like laying on a cool stone table on a hot day.

Casshern struggled between her firm breasts and finally gained enough space to speak, his voice desperate and strained, "No! I-I can't soil your honor in such a way! Please, just let me go!"

"My honor would be far more soiled if I could not repay you. As a warrior, having my life saved by a bystander is the greatest of shames." Astra decided to change tactics, still holding him against her. " Or...perhaps you don't find me to your liking, Cass? I suppose I must seem like a horrific ogre compared to elvish women."

Astra allowed a slight pout to spread over her face. Of course, her words were ridiculous. She knew that her body was a sight to behold and the thought that anyone would prefer a wispy elf maiden like the one that had tumbled off the cliff was simply ridiculous. She had barely had any curves to speak of and probably could have been knocked over by a light breeze.

"No! No!" Casshern protested "You're truly a beauty! It's just...I can't indulge in such-"

"Get your filthy paws off of him, you towering slut!"

The voice rang through the trees, catching Astra and Casshern by surprise. She instinctively released his waist and he pulled back, wrapping his kimono tighter to cover himself. He gripped the fabric tight, face flushed a bright red.

Astra had been so focused on her new conquest that she hadn't heard the sound of Kal approaching, carrying the elvish maiden in his arms. He was still dressed in his soaked clothing and seemed none too pleased to be carrying the girl up the steep forest path. The girl was the one who shouted at Astra, glowering at her from her cradle in Kal's arms.

"Noradella!" Casshern cried, upon seeing the pair. "You're alive!"

"Of course!" The elf maid's tone was haughty, at odds with her situation. "And a good thing I am! What is going on here!?"