Blindsided

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Drugs.

It was at the center of the shitstorm that had sat over the West End for my entire life. She was living proof.

It made me wonder if me and Lily really were on the same side. Why would I help one drug dealer over another?

Protective Services arrived. They shooed Lesley and me away and we were all but too happy to go. As we were leaving I noticed the prescription drugs on the coffee table were gone. That confirmed my suspicions. It was either Lesley or me, and I didn't have them. It explained Lesley's recent volatile behavior.

"So Max, that's some fucked up shit there," said Lesley as we got into the car. "A young mother OD'ed in her living room with a crying baby in the next room." The irony of her statement wasn't lost on me since she had just pocketed some of the woman's drugs.

Lesley started the car and had to wait for other emergency vehicles to clear her path. She showed no signs of nervousness at having just committed a petty theft. That worried me more than the offense.

I looked out my open window. The house next door was already surrounded by yellow caution tape. It was over, though I could still hear the woman screaming at Protective Services.

"Let's get the fuck out of here," I told Lesley. My insides were churning, having just suffered through two successive traumas, drugs overruling the good judgment of a mother and my partner. Lesley had stepped over a bright line that should never be crossed.

Lesley piloted our car through the logjam at the crime scene to smooth sailing beyond.

"I need a drink," I told her. The irony of my statement hit me the moment I said it. I did have a problem. Was I the right person to tell Lesley she had one as well?

"You always do Max," she said, watching the traffic instead of looking at me.

I was tempted to ask Lesley if the drugs were in her pocket and then chickened out. It didn't feel like the right time for a confrontation, but I knew there would be one, and soon.

* * *

Of course I compartmentalized Lesley's problem and mine. I could control mine, or so I told myself. The latest episode with the mother and her baby was traumatic and there was no way I was going to get to sleep that night unless I had a drink . . . or two . . .or three.

After work I drove straight to the liquor store. Nigel was kneeling on the floor, restocking beer in a glass door refrigerator. He looked up when he saw me.

"Back again so soon?" he asked me. He must have remembered I bought twelve bottles of that disgusting bubblegum flavored vodka the last time I was there.

"That shit I bought last time was well . . . shit," I said. "I drank about half of it and tossed the rest."

"So even Max has standards," he quipped.

"It's a bar an ant can jump over."

"So what would you like today?" He scanned the shelf. "How about we upscale you a bit? I've got some Ketel One here on special."

Just thinking about the bubblegum flavored vodka I drank gave me the shivers. "Sounds good. Bag it up."

* * *

Alone in my room drinking again. I've been to this rodeo many times before. I hadn't seen Courtney in a while and I didn't have the energy to go to Bailey's to see if I could find someone. So I found the next best thing, my vibrator.

I fished it out of my dresser drawer. It was still sticky. I think the last time I used it was on Courtney. I went to the bathroom to wash it. I settled into bed, not wanting to think about DaVanna, Lesley, or the crying mother. I just wanted to wash the stink out of my mind. The premium vodka was a big upgrade. It went down smoothly and before long Belinda Buzzy was between my legs, first visiting my clit and then down and into my pussy. I thought about Lily. Asian . . . seductive . . . mysterious . . . beautiful, staring deeply into her almond shaped eyes, deep pools of amber, and feasting on her slender body. Her little brown nubs for nipples, the straight black hairs of her pussy, and . . .

My hips flexed upwards towards the sky. The sweet haze of the booze, the image of Lily underneath me, letting me have my way with her, sent me soaring amid the squalor of the Royal Palms, for a moment forgetting my troubles and enjoying a few moments of peace, solitude and bliss.

Then the slow descent down, and the reality of my shabby room.

Then another drink to forget. And another, until the emergence of an early summer dawn.

* * *

Well, the next morning came. The world didn't end. I had a splitting headache and a dry mouth. I took a pass on the rest of the bottle and washed my mouth out in the bathroom sink, trying to get the foul taste out of my puckered mouth. I spit and I thought of DaVanna, and how that bitch was on the street, scheming for a way to get back to me. About Lesley, and what the fuck was going on with her. She was never angry or violent in the year I spent with her, and now after recovering from the shooting, she was on edge and stealing drugs. I hated to think about it, but I was certain she was using on the job.

I checked my messages. Lily had called and left her number. Of course I had to call her right away. She must have heard me when I called her name while fucking myself silly with the vibrator. She seemed to be full of surprises.

"Hello Max, or should I say Officer Pemberton?" Her voice sounded sexy to me, perfectly dictioned English with an Asian spice.

"Max is fine."

"Max, I wanted to ask you out for a drink. We had some much fun at Bailey's."

What? This was fucked up. She was the enemy. My hesitation induced her speak.

"Max, I have a business proposition for you."

"I see."

I was reading too much into her call. But what sort of business?

We agreed to meet at nine that evening. I knew I'd be on tenterhooks until then.

* * *

I had to kill the rest of the morning until my shift started at noon. The meeting with Lily, and what she wanted, was playing constantly in the back of my mind. I decided to pay a visit to Nicky's to distract me. I knew Alessandra would be there and there was a dead time between 10 and 11 a.m. where she'd be able to chat with me about Lesley.

Nicky was there wiping down a table when I poked my head into the front door. She stopped when she saw me.

"Max!" she called out. "Get your ass over here."

She was waiting with open arms and gave me a bear hug.

"You've been avoiding me," she said, then kissed me on the cheek. Nicky was like an affectionate bear, broad in girth and big in heart.

"I haven't," I insisted. "Lesley just got back and I've been showing her the ropes in the West End."

"How's she doing?"

It wasn't time for the truth. "Uhh . . . OK," I answered. She gave me that look to tell me she knew that I wasn't telling her everything.

"Let me get you something to eat," she said. Nicky's remedy for anything that ailed you was a hearty meal.

"Just coffee. And could you ask Alessandra to come out for a couple minutes?"

"Sure Max. Good to see you."

I fidgeted with my phone for a minute or two, when Alessandra appeared with an insulated carafe and a coffee mug.

"Heard you wanted to talk to me," she said.

I always admired her natural beauty. She wasn't wearing any make-up, and had on her chef's white coat, yet there was no hiding her iridescent mocha colored skin and long, lanky frame. She sat across from me in my booth and poured me my second cup of the day.

"I'm here to talk about Lesley," I said before taking my first sip of hot joe.

Alessandra showed no surprise on her face.

"So you noticed, huh?" she asked.

"Noticed what?" I asked, wanting her to characterize Lesley's behavior, not me.

"Irritable, bellicose . . . we've been arguing more lately."

Alessandra's observations jibed perfectly with mine.

"You know what I'm thinking," I said to her. Alessandra had spent a lot of time around drugs. She knew.

"I've been thinking the same thing," she said.

"Seen anything?" I asked.

"She's pretty good about covering her tracks, so to speak. No needle marks so maybe it's just pills. I don't know," she said dejectedly. "I just wish I had the old Lesley back."

"Have you asked her?"

"No. I don't have the guts to. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells when I'm with her, and I know if I ask her she's only going to deny it and then we're going to have a big argument. I just can't take that right now."

"Well, I need to know. It's affecting her work and I can't have that. She's already gotten me into some trouble, and truth be told, if she fucks up again I'm going to have to write her up." I didn't tell her about the stealing. It wouldn't help anything.

Alessandra's brow furrowed. "That serious?"

"That serious."

She shook her head.

"Look, I've got to get back in the kitchen. I'll let you know if I see or hear anything."

"You know how to find me."

* * *

Visiting with Alessandra confirmed my worst fears. It was a short walk from pain suppression to addiction. I'd seen it before with several of my high school friends, some deceased, and the pattern was pretty clear with my formerly straight as an arrow partner.

I went to the station to start my shift. I didn't see Lesley. Strange. She was usually there before me, sitting in the break room and joking with the other officers. I went to the locker room and changed and waited for her. She was ten minutes late, another break from her usual punctuality.

"Late partner," I told her. "What's up?"

"Nothing, just running late," she answered. I was looking at her in that way that said, "that's not enough."

"OK, OK, I had a couple errands to run and it took a little longer than I expected. I'm sorry. For crying out loud it was only ten minutes."

"Not like you," I muttered.

"Ease off Max. I just got off a five month rehab from a fucking bullet wound."

Bringing out the heavy artillery early. She meant to squash my questioning before I forced her to fess up.

* * *

I still wanted more intelligence on Jumbo. I had Lesley take me to the same corner, but this time I told her to wait in the car.

"I'll be fine," she insisted to me.

"Wait in the fucking car," I told her.

"You don't have to be an asshole about it," she retorted.

"We'll talk when I get back. For now, just stay in the car."

I could see she was fuming but I didn't care. I got out of the car. Jimmy Beans was waiting for me with his hands in his pockets. I could see he had a gun tucked in the waistband of his pants. His sidekick was sitting on the stoop, drinking malt liquor out of a can wrapped in a brown paper bag.

"What'd you want?" Jimmy said in a sharp voice. He held up his broken finger, which now sported a splint. He pointed to Lesley, who was sitting in the car. "That bitch is fucked up. Broke Jimmy Beans's finger."

"Sorry about the finger. I think she was offended by your manners."

"My manners? What the fuck you talking about? It ain't charm school out here."

"I know Jimmy. Just cut her some slack. I'm here to talk about Jumbo."

"Don't know no Jumbo," he said, obviously lying.

"Sure you do. Everybody in the West End knows him."

"Well I heard of him, but that's it."

I pulled him by the arm. "Get in the fucking car," I told him, pointing to our cruiser.

I dragged him, with him offering only minimal resistance. I guided him into the back seat. I got in the front passenger seat.

"Tell him you're sorry," I said to Lesley.

"Sorry," Lesley said, half-heartedly.

"Bitch didn't mean it," Jimmy insisted.

"That's all you're going to get. Now Jimmy, I know you have two strikes against you and the third one you're going to have to do some real time."

"Max, you bring it on. I don't fucking care."

"I could bust you for carrying an unlicensed firearm. You're on probation. I could have you back in jail in a split second."

"What you want?"

"Not much Jimmy, just some information."

"I ain't no snitch," he insisted.

"Look Jimmy, I'm going to find out what I need anyway. And when I do I'm going to tell everyone that you told me. You know what happens when I do that."

"You wouldn't do that to me."

"I would."

"Motherfucker."

I pointed to Jimmy Bean's new corner mate, who was watching us intently.

"See Stick over there?"

"We call him Tree."

"Well, Tree over there thinks you're already snitching and when you get out of the car I'm going to try to shake your hand and drop a twenty in it. You can refuse the handshake and the money, but Tree will get the message. I'm not sure you'll live till morning."

"Fuck you."

"Or if you bring me something, I'll show Tree that you didn't give me anything."

"I'll think about it."

"You think about it hard."

I got out of the car and went over to the left side passenger door. I opened it for him. I pressed my card into his hand. "Call me," I said. Then I slammed him against the car.

"You piece of shit," I shouted, loud enough for Tree to hear. "You don't know nothing? Here's what I think about nothing." I took out my billy club and whacked him in the small of the back.

"Motherfucker!" he shouted, putting his hands on his back and straightening up.

He spit in my direction. "Bitch ass lesbo whore."

Jimmy Beans would tell me what I needed to know.

* * *

"Nice," said Lesley as we pulled away from the curb. "And you said I was rough with him?"

"I did it for a reason. Now that other dude Tree won't think he's a snitch. But I know Jimmy. He doesn't want to do hard time. We'll get something from him," I said confidently.

There was silence as we went down the road. Then I broached the topic I really wanted to talk to her about.

"Lesley, I'm not going to beat around the bush. You're acting differently. Are you using?"

She pulled the squad car over to the curb.

"Max, I'm disappointed in you and insulted. Do you think that little of me that you'd assume I'd come to work high? Fuck you."

I watched her eyes as she issued her vehement denial. She was lying. Now that I was certain, and gave her a chance to come clean, I had to formulate a plan to deal with her.

"Sorry I doubted you partner," I said to her. "Just keep it together."

"I will Max. And you keep your unfounded suspicions to yourself."

* * *

Lesley and I spent another uncomfortable four hours together before we returned to the station to finish up some paperwork. It was already 8 p.m., and an hour before meeting Lily at Bailey's. Just enough time to go back to my room at the Royal Palms and change before meeting her.

I took extra time to get ready. I knew it was a "business" meeting but somehow meeting an attractive woman at a bar meant more to me than that, even though I knew she was mixed up in some very illegal shit and that there was no way no how that we'd ever hook up. That being said, I decided to put on a bit of make-up and wear my nicer clothes, which meant a blouse and skirt instead of my usual jeans and a tee.

I got to Bailey's a few minutes early, and that allowed me a bit of face time with Maddy. She was tending to a few customers when I came in, and nodded her head to acknowledge she saw me. I found an empty stool at the crowded bar area and waited for her to free up. A few minutes later she came to me holding a shot of whiskey and a beer chaser.

"Cop's dinner," she said as she served me. I downed the shot and cradled the beer in my hand.

"So what brings you here on a Tuesday night? You're usually here on Wednesday."

"Got some business to discuss with Lily."

"You mean the lady we met last week?"

"The same."

"Business, huh?" she said skeptically, eyeing my nicer clothes and the make-up I rarely wore.

"Strictly," I said.

She laughed. "Right."

"Seeing anyone?" I asked her, trying to change the subject.

"Here and there," she said. She was always cagey with me. Maddy was an attractive woman, and still single, though it wasn't for lack of trying. She seemed to be unlucky in love. Her last "boyfriend" turned out to be married.

"Anyone I know?"

"Hmphh," she said.

That meant she wasn't going to tell me.

"Fine, fine, so how's business?"

"Forget the small talk Max. Tell me the real reason you're here to see Lily. I could see the way you were flirting with her when you met her."

"You were too," I said.

"But I'm not a lesbian. And I know that look."

"What look?"

"You know. That 'I'm going to get into her pants' kind of look."

"You read me wrong," I argued.

"No I didn't. Fucking liar. Admit it."

She stared at me with that "I'm not taking your bullshit" kind of look.

"All right. I'm attracted to her. But nothing will ever come of it," I said, though not confidently.

Maddy sensed my tentativeness. "Sure?"

Maddy looked to the side and then at me. "I think your business associate is here."

Lily came up to me. She was wearing a Chinese style silk gown, this time a shade of green that complemented her eyes. She flashed a lot of leg when she sat down on the barstool next to mine.

"Max, how good to see you," she said, followed by a peck on my cheek.

Maddy rolled her eyeballs for my benefit. "I'll leave you two to talk business."

Lily had a thin face, jet black hair to her shoulders, and almond shaped eyes highlighted with green eye shadow. She was sexy and alluring and she knew it.

"So Max, you know I'm in the same business as our friend Jumbo Williams."

"That I do know."

"And you're starting to investigate him."

I never told her that. She did have well-placed sources at the station.

"That may be so," I said.

"Well, we both have a mutual interest in getting rid of him. I understand in your case it's a career imperative."

I wondered what she meant by that. Did she know something I didn't?

"So what do you propose?"

"I have information on his operations. Information that could incriminate him and his top lieutenants."

"And why would you want to share that with me?"

"Well, for one, you have access to resources that I don't, and secondly, it's to help you out."

"That's so generous. But I assume it's so that you can conveniently step into the vacuum created by his demise?"

"There would be that opportunity."

"Why would I do that?"

"As I said, it's a career limiter if you can't bring him to justice, and besides, we like each other. Wouldn't you rather deal with me?"

"You mean put you in jail?"

"Max, I'm not as stupid as Jumbo. I'd never give you that opportunity."

"I'll think about it."

She put her hand on my leg. I looked down at it. She didn't move it.

"In another world, I could see us together," she said. "I find you . . . very dangerous . . . and very attractive."

I watched her tongue slip out and lick her ruby red lips.

"In another world I'd take you up on that. But unfortunately we have to live in this one," I said.

She traced her finger up to the top of my leg.

"Such a shame . . ." she said.

If she only knew how much I wanted her, and maybe she did know.

* * *

The next morning Lesley was all over me in the locker room to tell her the details about my meeting with Lily. I told her about Lily, and about the imminent full scale turf war that was about to erupt in the West End. No one wins in a turf war. Just who loses the most, including the police.

"So she's willing to rat out Jumbo?" Lesley asked.

"It's in her interest," I pointed out.

"Of course it is," said Lesley. "It's bad for business when a competitor is killing your hired help."

"Very funny. It feels wrong to deal with the devil, but at least it's the devil you know. In any event, we'll solve the case faster with her information."

Lesley frowned. "You know what they say about dancing with the devil . . ."

"You think you'll change the devil, but the devil will change you," I said, completing her thought.

"Precisely Max."

Chapter Four

Trouble in River City

1...34567...10