Blood & Carrots - Celestial Ep. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

—♥—

The lion gave a throaty roar as he lunged at me with longsword in hand, my own clashing against it in a show of sparks, the silver grinding as he bore his strength down against mine.

Of course, he could easily overpower me, but I simply twisted my wrist with a flourish, the lion giving a startled huff as his blade dripped. I followed with a sweeping motion of my leg, gracefully knocking his legs out from under him. Ezekiel hit the ground with a grunt and I shoved the tip of my blade to his chest, a smug grin on my face as his sword finally landed with a clatter to the gravel.

"That's five and two, had enough yet?" I growled the words as I stepped back, offering him my hand. He snarled and gripped it, letting me help him up before stomping over to snatch his own sword back up.

"Damn it... you were already trouble, but now you're even faster!" He sheathed his sword, letting me know he was done for the day.

I offered him a smile as I put my own blade away. "C'mon, we both know you do better with your fists, Ezekiel."

He showed me a grin and slapped one fist hard into his open palm. "Well, yeah, up close and personal, but you know, swords are great for when that isn't possible."

With a shrug, I folded my arms. "So do both. If you feel an opponent disarming or shifting you as I just did, go with it. Let the motion carry you through like a breeze, then drop the sword to grab them. You're a big cat, once you've got your paws on someone, that'd be that."

Ezekiel rubbed his chin at the thought and nodded. "Well, this is swordsmanship training, that's not really part of it. Are you offering to allow such techniques when we train in the future?"

"Damn right I am, I want you to be the best you can, so you can blow past first and be a Bishop! You think I enjoy being the high-ranking one here?" I barked the words out and wagged my tail, offering my friend a wide grin.

The cat showed me his own grin and shook his head. "I still can't wrap my head around all this. You a first... I had all the faith you'd get there, but not for like another decade or so."

"Believe me, I'm still trying to wrap my own head around it." I frowned and looked at one of the large stone sundials that were dotted throughout the citadel. "Damn it, I need to go report for duty." Of course, the realm was bathed in perpetual light, they were obviously enchanted to show proper time.

"That time eh? Will we still be going on missions and such together?" The lion tilted his head and I saw the concern in his eyes.

"Toroah already said I was an auxiliary unit."

"What the hell does that mean exactly?"

"It means I can join any units that request me, or Toroah sees fit to assign me to for support." I gave the lion a reaffirming nod. "So, yes, I think that will be a possibility."

"Yeah, like Commander sod-for-brains would allow that!" The lion grumbled and I frowned at his reasoning.

"Hagen is a pain in the tail, but I don't honestly believe he would sacrifice the safety of a mission or his soldiers for his pride."

The lion gave me a shocked glare at my words. "You defending that blowhard? Wow, you're changing a lot, Ry."

I frowned at the words, recalling Rachel's own from earlier. "Look, I'm just saying, that I think he has the greater good of the unit in mind mostly. I'll admit he's got too much ego and way too many chips on his shoulders, but I do not think he'd stoop that low."

"I remain skeptical, but we shall see." The lion shrugged and turned away, waving a hand. "Drinks later?"

I rubbed the back of my head with a grin. "Ah, I might have to raincheck..."

"Seriously? Do you not have time for the low ranks now that you're a high and mighty first?" He growled and looked over his shoulder at me with a glare I could see he had a hint of jealousy in it. So it was bothering him, I figured it would at some level.

"Woah... that has nothing to do with it, I'll always have time for my best friend, even if I was a Paladin!" I barked the words out and moved over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Really? So what's the deal then? We always have drinks on Friday." He cocked a brow as he seemed to ease his tension at my touch and words.

"Oh uh... I may be seeing Rachel," I spoke the words in a quiet but eager growl.

He turned to face me full-on, his eyes wide now. "The brown fox from the apothecary?! That tail you've been dreaming about for like the better part of a decade? Shut up, I don't believe it!" He huffed the words and pushed at my shoulders, making me back up a few paces as he grinned.

I gave a laugh and blushed, rubbing my head. "W-well yeah, we're no longer in the same unit, so-"

"So you were itching to get right at that tail huh? Couldn't wait to bend that little doggy over and make her yours eh?" He spoke the words with a wide grin as he slapped my shoulder hard in approval.

My cheeks darkened at his words and for some reason, it actually upset me a little. Rachel was so much more than that to me. Of course, I wanted to do that with her, but it wasn't the driving goal.

"Ha... it's not like that Ezzy. I respect the hell out of Rachel. I mean, of course, I want THAT with her, but, it's so much more, you know?" I folded my arms again, giving him a sympathetic smile for not joining in on the 'guy talk'.

The lion offered me a toothy grin and waved a hand casually. "Yeah yeah, I know, you're smitten with her, love her and all that."

I barked out at that word again and glared at him. "What's love got to do with this?!"

He smirked at my blushing cheeks and quirked a brow. "You tell me. Is it just a second-hand emotion?"

"I mean... It just sounds so strange to go saying I love her when we've not even had a date or anything." I looked down and rubbed the back of my head, feeling my heart pounding at the thought of her.

"Well, I've caught glimpses of some of the quick little touches and kisses you two would steal from one another, seen your hands brushing one another's while walking together. She's got it bad for you, and you for her, it's plain to see. Call it what you will, but there's something there, and it's not just the urge to bend her over." Ezekiel shrugged and met my eyes with a hard glare. "She's a good fox, even I can tell that. Just be honest with yourself and to her."

What is with all these people trying to be a cherub around here? I furrowed my brow and shook my head before mulling over his words, then nodded my head. "I see what you mean. Yeah, I think there is something there with us, it feels like we've got a string tying us together sometimes. I won't just outright profess my love for her, I don't want to scare her off, you know?"

The lion howled out a laugh and shook his head. "I'm not suggesting that, just think about what you feel and don't be afraid of it." He wagged a finger at me and showed his sharp canines. "Though I will say this. I'll give you this one, but you better not start canceling on our meetups over this vixen too much. Nine hells, bring her along, it'd be fun to have another drinking buddy around."

I gave the lion a smile, feeling thankful for his support and friendship, then nodded. "Thanks, I'll do that."

Ezekiel gave a surprised look at me, then I realized he was looking behind me as the lion stiffened his back and gave a salute. I looked back and almost jumped as Toroah was simply standing there, that same gentle smile on his lips he always seemed to have.

"S-Sir!" I turned sharply and gave my own salute, my tail and ears perked up at attention as well.

"At ease, I apologize for interrupting the guy talk." The rabbit hummed the words in a sing-song tone as his hands found their way to his hips, giving me a somewhat fussy look. "Ryder, as my first, you really should be more punctual, I shouldn't have to come find you."

My teeth clenched at his look, it was cute seeing him pout, but his eyes said he was legitimately upset with me. "I- I'm sorry, sir! I just, uh..."

"It's my fault, High Commander. Ryder said he needed to leave to see you, I ended up detaining him to gossip." Ezekiel gave a deep bow as I growled at him throwing himself under the wagon for me.

"Hmm... Though I sense the truth in your words, I can't very well let Ryder off without incident either, I see no drawn bow or arrowhead to his skull making him stay here." Toroah straightened his back, giving his tail a little flick before rubbing his chin. "Well, I suppose I will let it pass this time, in honor of your friend's selflessness."

"You are too gracious sir, it will not happen again." I took a knee, offering a formal bow of apology,

Ezekiel offered a similar bow, also taking a knee. "Likewise, I will be more mindful of detaining him. Thank you for your graciousness, High Commander."

"Yes yes, let us do away with the stuffy apologies and titles now. Ryder, I had every intention of meeting you here in the training facility anyway, so you simply saved us transit." The rabbit huffed the words as we stood, pushing a hand to his chest and looking smug, his nose poked up in the air.

"Wait- If I saved us trouble, why am I still-"

Toroah gave my forehead a thump with his index finger, eliciting a yip from me, feeling a little jolt of divine wrath come along with it, sending a chill down my spine. "Because you're still a bad dog for not coming when I commanded it," The words came from his lips sounding as much like an innuendo as they were intended to be.

Ezekiel widened his eyes as I winced and rubbed my forehead as if having suspicions confirmed and trying to tie the context clues together. Toroah lifted his ears and peered at the lion who stood just faintly shorter than him. I really was used to being the short guy of the group, I suppose I should consider myself lucky I was at least a little taller than Rachel.

"Ezekiel was it not? You seem to be processing a thought. Did you wish to enlighten us with it?" The rabbit cocked a brow, giving the lion a somewhat challenging look.

He quickly made a salute and shook his head. "N-No sir! I was simply in awe of your kindness and lost-"

"Hush now. You are a terrible liar, out with what you were thinking, third." The rabbit gave him a hard glare, making it clear it was an order.

He winced and gave another salute. "Apologies sir! Uh, are you two ah... together?"

"Yes," Toroah answered crisply and I bit my lower lip, looking away from the two of them.

"Damn... Ry, is this why you-"

"Ezekiel, let me be clear on something before you finish those words and earn my ire." The rabbit set the lion with a hard look as Ezekiel snapped his jaws shut.

"Ryder earned this position and would have it, even if I despised him. What we do off duty is our business and in no way will ever influence his duty, or advancement within our ranks. Is that crystal clear, third?"

The lion gave him a quick series of nods. "Yes sir, crystal clear, sir."

"And if this information leaves this courtyard, I will not be a happy rabbit, do you understand what I'm saying to you?" He now had his arms crossed, looking down on the lion with a fierce gaze that even made me want to shrink back from it.

"I- I have no idea what you are talking about, sir! I have no knowledge of anything to share!" Ezekiel spoke the words out sharply, offering another salute to him.

Toroah gave a satisfied nod. "That's what I wanted to hear. Now, will you be excusing us or joining in on the training with me and Ryder?"

"I will of course excuse my-" His ears lifted at the offer and looked straight upon the archangel. "Wait, you, are offering... to train me as well? The High Commander, wants to-"

"Yes, is it such a complicated thing? I will not force you, of course, this is Ryder's duty, not yours." The rabbit stepped away from us and with a flourish of his hand was suddenly garbed in leather armor with a rapier at his side.

"I would be mad to not accept! Yes, sir, I will happily train with the two of you!" Ezekiel clenched his fists with an excited grin, his large sharp teeth showing.

I couldn't help but smile to see how eager he was, and the way Toroah kept everything sorted with what we were and were not. Though that thump to my forehead still hurt, I'd already made my mind up to give him a few chomps the next time we were rolling around in bed.

We spent the next few hours sparring and doing specialized drills with the High Commander. He was every bit as powerful and skilled as his reputation, but so much more. It really was a thing you had to experience, words didn't do him justice. I wouldn't even see him move when he parried, his body just seemed to be in the position to deflect an attack when it needed to be.

"Ryder! Keep your sword arm down when you strike, Ezekiel, bend more at the knees during a lunge!" He shouted out orders and commands while we sparred. Even with me and the lion both coordinating our offensive, Toroah seemed to deftly dodge, sweep and parry all our blows.

I notice that Rachel had found her way to the courtyard, standing to the side and watching us from a distance. Of course she was, we had promised to meet for lunch after all, which would be about now. That's the thing about knowing a seer, if they want to find you, they can do so easily, they have a knack for sensing energy, especially those they are close to.

"Never let your blade strike squarely on the opponents. Always use a fluid strike, for if you connect too sharply, you will never be able to roll the blade to make a parry or counterstrike." The rabbit snapped the words out as he deftly seemed to just blur in my vision and the next thing I knew, my sword was leaving my grip, the tip slamming into the ground as I yipped in shock. Ezekiel made a similar gasp as his own sword simply flew from his grasp with a loud reverberating clash of silver.

Toroah huffed out and pushed a lock of platinum hair from his eyes, sheathing his rapier as he finally acknowledged the other knight in our presence. "You may approach, second."

Rachel lifted her brown ears and quickly moved over to the archangel, offering him a salute and frowning. "Sir! I apologize if my presence disrupted the training."

"At east, Knight." He smiled and met her eyes, flicking his tail a few times, seeing the gold flecks in them. "Gold in your vision, a seer. You must be Rachel. You know, Ryder won't shut up about you."

I barked out in protest. "Sir!"

The vixen gave a gentle smile towards me then shook her head. "Yes sir. It is an honor to meet you in person like this."

The rabbit folded his ears, his gaze looking a little sharper. "He tells me, you have a better sword arm than he has."

The vixen showed her teeth in a grin, blushing at the words but looking a little proud and haughty as well. "Well, we've not sparred since he became a first, but I won't deny I generally best him by a margin of two points or more."

I should have felt defensive or surly over her words, but frankly, I enjoyed seeing her being so confident and proud of her abilities.

Toroah gave an appreciative whistle and rested his hand on the pommel of his rapier. "It's not that I don't believe you, but you'll forgive me if I request you show me."

"Alas, sir. I did not come here with training on my mind, I do not even have-" She looked upon me, a smile showing on her lips, seeing I had collected my longsword and already cleaned the dirt off it.

I acknowledged the look and swallowed hard. A celestial knight's sword was important, it was crafted for them specifically. Though being disarmed or handled by another was common, to willingly relinquish it to one, was shown as a great sign of affection. On the rare occasion celestials wed, it was common to exchange swords with one another, taking your partner's blade as your own.

My tail fluffed out as the other two males seemed to look upon me, Toroah cocking a brow curiously. I met her eyes, seeing the dancing flecks of gold as she gave me that beautiful smile. She wouldn't ask, it wasn't her style, but I was already unbuckling my scabbard as I held it to her and lifted my chin. "Please, use my sword Rachel, it would be a shame to disappoint the High Commander."

She showed her teeth in a grin, collecting the scabbard as Ezekiel gave an amused roll of his eyes. "Why, thank you Ryder, I'll be sure to take good care of it." Rachel cooed the words out gently, her eyes shining as she showed me a happy smile while fastening the scabbard to the side of her uniform.

Toroah gave me a knowing smile and approving nod before he stepped back from us, withdrawing his own blade. "Ryder, Ezekiel, please step away from the vicinity."

We quickly moved to the sidelines, Ezekiel giving me a light jab of his elbow. "She really trapped you in that one, eh?"

With a playful bark, I showed him a grin, feeling my cheeks still warm from the whole display. "Ah, I mean, I don't think she meant to, I'd blame Toroah more so. Still, I didn't mind, I was happy to do it."

Rachel showed a proud grin as she withdrew my sword, setting her stance, her thick beautiful brown tail wagging as she titled her chin up. "Knowing I'm using Ryder's sword, you know I have to put on a good display, I'll not hold back, Commander."

"Please do not." Toroah hummed the words, then gave a surprised huff as the vixen launched herself forward. I was shocked by her speed, I'd never seen her move so quickly as she seemingly blurred before there was a loud clash of divine silver.

"Woah..." I gasped out at the display, watching the rabbit and fox enter a sort of dance. Blades flashing, sharp little barks coming from Rachel's throat with each strike she made, her eyes blazing gold in focus.

"Damn, look at her go. I can hardly keep up... She's going all out since she's representing your love, huh?" The lion nudged me again with his elbow as I glared upon him but quickly returned my focus to the sparring.

Several moments passed, which is quite a lot of time in a duel since most engagements might last at most, a few seconds. Toroah eventually managed to glance a blow to the side, using his own rapier to bring the longsword off course before deftly pushing the tip of his blade at her throat, signifying the point was his.

Rachel clenched her teeth and looked disappointed, no, she looked like she was remorseful for losing the point as if she had let me down.

"Fantastic form, you truly are as exceptional as he says." Toroah gave her a nod. "And all that coming in without warming up. Lift your head Knight, you've nothing to be remorseful for."

"T-Thank you sir, I apologize if my emotions got the better of me." She took a composing breath and paced away a few steps, then turned and set her stance.

Toroah offered a smile and lifted his ears. "Is it not finished?"

"I request we decide the better of three points, sir. I am unwilling to relinquish his sword yet, and so I find myself in need of an excuse to keep it a while longer." The vixen lifted her chin with a haughty look in her golden eyes.

My tail stiffened at the words and Ezekiel gave an amused bellow of a laugh. "Look at that, she's already decided you're hers! How does that feel?"

I glared at him but then grinned. "Not bad I have to say."

Toroah and Rachel engaged again, several more moments passing of parries and feints before a resounding clash of metal was heard, one sword being diverted off course as the rabbit showed his teeth in a wide grin with the tip of my sword at his chest.

I slacked my jaw in shock, but Rachel just frowned and stepped back before speaking, "Sir, I do not need you holding back, that point was clearly given."

The rabbit ran his fingers through his hair and smiled before rolling the rapier in his grip a few times. "It's poor practice if one doesn't know what to do when strikes follow through, is it not? Also, you managed to catch me off guard, it's an earned point."