Blood & Carrots - Silverpaw Ep. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's right. There is a reason I avoided the main section of road in this area." Lorelai nodded the words while pulling the horse down a slope of grass.

"Why did you?" My head tilted curiously as I moved the horse down the slope behind her, my years of training coming to bare as I reigned the fussy steed in and kept it under control.

"The nearby villages tend to be more on the religious side of things. I don't want a run-in with the church. They know of our kind and could be problematic. Especially with a fledgling like you in tow." The sheep sighed the words and brought the horses in line with what looked like the makings of a well-traveled road a few miles ahead of us.

"I'm guessing there's no talking with them?" I asked curiously.

"Well, they will do plenty of talking at you, when they're lighting you on fire at a stake." Elias spoke the words casually.

"But... I've seen how strong and fast I am since I changed years ago. Wouldn't I be able to just break their rope?" My ears lifted at the prospect of it all.

"Not if they have blessed silver, which they would." Lorelai rubbed at her head and frowned. "Look, let's chat about this later, Sarnai. We will be spending years bringing you up to speed on things, let's just enjoy one another's company for now."

"Sure... uhm... what did you do before you were a doctor, Elias?" I asked the white fox, eager to get to know more about him.

His teeth clenched and his jaw set at the question. I could tell instantly I had struck on something. "I uh..."

"He was a rampaging monster." The sheep spoke the words out pointedly, earning a bark of protest from the larger fox.

"M-my lady! Must you openly-"

"Yes. Never forget your shortcomings, Elias. Hold those memories close and draw upon them whenever the frenzy begins to take hold. Remember the lives you claimed and what is at stake." Lorelai spoke the words in a sharp tone of reprimand.

A silence hung between the three of us for a few minutes before I spoke out. "The frenzy? Is that what I had happen to me a few times?"

Lorelai halted her horse, our own coming to a stop as well. She turned her ride to look upon me directly. "What did you do?"

My black ears lifted at her words, they weren't a question. I felt her will pour forward and compelled me to answer. "I... I blacked out... I was feeding on an older venerable member of a village, but then when I came to, I had gone through the house and claimed his son who was caring for him, along with the son's wife as well as... their child." I shivered at the memory and felt my eyes growing wet. "They... they were some patients of mine, I even helped her deliver the boy half a decade prior..."

Lorelai sighed and shook her head. "Sarnai... this is why the frenzy must be respected and feared. Never forget that memory... it is a hard one, but it will steel your resolve."

My head nodded. "It... it reminded me of what happened to my tribe all those years ago."

"What happened?" Elias asked me curiously.

I met his blue eyes and recounted the tale. The story that replayed in my dreams almost nightly. I saw him freeze up at the words, saw his eyes dart away awkwardly. He started to speak but Lorelai interrupted him.

"That sounds like one of our kind that had fully succumbed to the frenzy. It's sad but not unheard of. It's one of the reasons I and Elias make these trips." Lorelai turned her horse and pushed it back into motion.

"Y-yeah... we've had to put more than a few down over the years." The fox huffed the words out, looking straight ahead.

"I wonder if you got the one that attacked my family." A large part of me hoped it would be true, just so that hopefully the nightmares would ease.

"It's a possibility. Given how long ago that was? I know I personally put down half a dozen in five years alone." Lorelai looked back at me and frowned. "Do not let it weigh upon you, the poor creature probably wasn't in their right mind any more than a wild beast would be."

I nodded and focused on guiding my horse as silence settled over us.

#

Our journey lasted a few weeks as we slowly made our way west. Lorelai explained how we were trying to beat the first snows of winter. I saw all sorts of lovely natural sites I never dreamed I would see and their constant company was a welcomed thing I had not had in years.

I learned much on the journey, of what I was and what I was not. I learned of Elias and Lorelai. I learned of the court and its laws. Most importantly, I felt my bond starting to strengthen and grow between Elias and me.

Finally, as the first snow began to fall, we came upon an impossible site. I had never seen such architecture before, massive towering buildings and walls bigger than I thought possible to create. We had arrived at what would now be present-day Moscow.

"So many people... even at night!" I barked the words out as we rode through the well-kept streets of the metropolis, our horse's hooves clacking on stone instead of dirt and rock. "How many people do you suppose there are in this place?"

"At the last census, over forty thousand." Lorelai spoke out casually about it.

My jaw hung open at the words. I didn't even know there could be that many people in an entire country, let alone one settlement. "How is that possible?"

"Well, their new crown prince has been on a rampage claiming new lands and drawing in more people left and right. They've even started taking to calling him 'The Great'." Elias spoke the words in a conversational tone.

Lorelai rolled her eyes. "Showboating and nothing more. He simply has some of the best generals of the time and is taking all the credit for their efforts. Regardless of the means though... it suits us just fine."

"Why is that?" I asked curiously.

Lorelai gave me a cocky grin. "Because we can exploit the mundanes newfound power and wealth to our own means. Wait until you see our home."

My brown eyes widened as we came upon the house a few minutes later. It was big, looking to consist of dozens of rooms. "My word... such a large dwelling... you have such a big home, Lorelai."

"It is now your home as well, Sarnai." The small sheep hopped from the horse as a servant came to collect the steed.

"How many people reside here?" I asked curiously while dismounting and giving the head of the horse a gentle loving pat.

"Counting my servants? You will make thirteen." The sheep smiled upon me.

"Thirteen? How many is that?" I tilted my head curiously. Though I was educated far more than most had been, my rudimentary math skills just got me through working in tens.

"It is ten and then three more. I will happily teach you more about it." Elias barked the words cheerfully, his large white tail wagging as he looked down upon me.

My cheeks darkened and I averted my eyes, my own tail slowly wagging. "That sounds lovely... I apologize for not being very well educated..."

"Do not apologize, before I met Lorelai I couldn't read, write, or even tell the time." Elias spoke the words and thrust his finger out towards a large structure in the distance, a clock tower as it were.

"Tell the time?" I tilted my head curiously and looked upon the odd contraption, recognizing the various markings, a system I used to keep track of my inventory.

"Well, there will be time enough for that later. Let us get inside, I am weary from travel and wish to relax by the fire." Lorelai spoke out to both of us and turned to climb the steps leading to the large white home before us.

I spent the next several weeks learning the basics of education, as well as how to speak the local languages of the region. Elias taught me all sorts of new medical knowledge including how to let blood from patients without killing them. For the first time in my decade of this curse, I was able to feed without slaying people.

Things began to settle into a normal routine for me from there, my days filled with lessons and family time. Elias taught me medicine and I taught him how to use a bow. The attraction for us was there and ever-present, but neither of us seemed willing to pursue it.

#

The winter season finally passed and the snow began to melt. It was within the first few weeks of spring that we received a curious visitor, a family member I had yet to meet. I was summoned to the foyer by my lady and presented myself in short order.

"You summoned me, Lady Lorelai?" I spoke to my lord sister as I moved to her and Elias. They stood at the entrance with a stranger I had not met, a tall well dressed male goat with short jagged silver hair and dark eyes.

"Sister, this is one of our brothers, he has just returned to us." Lorelai motioned to the goat who was as tall as Elias which brought him around a foot taller than me.

"Yes, I had to take refuge in a small town several weeks travel, the winter snows saw fit I would not see home again until spring came." The goat spoke the words casually, his smooth voice sending chills down my spine.

He met my brown eyes and before I knew it he had my hand in his. "Ah... you've let quite a beauty slip in while I was away, Lorelai." The stranger showed his teeth in a brilliant smile and leaned down to softly kiss the top of my hand. My tail grew rigid and I felt energy surge through my body at his touch. "I am Val, brother to you of house Silverpaw."

"It... It is a pleasure... I am Sarnai..." I spoke the words in an awkward huff, feeling my heart thumping in my ears. The goat gave me a playful grin and then my ears lifted at the small rumble of a growl coming from Elias nearby.

Val shifted his gaze to the white fox and gently released my hand before looking to Elias. "I apologize, brother. I did not mean any disrespect if she is yours."

I barked out at the words, my cheeks darkening. Lorelai cleared her throat, her will pushing over the three of us. "Sarnai is not claimed by anyone, but she is under my care until her evaluation in a few weeks. Do not turn this into some masculine display of marking territory, my brothers."

"I didn't say anything." Elias folded his arms and looked away, his tail whipping about in agitation.

Val chuckled and slid up to the fox, linking his arm with him. "Come, old friend. It's been over a year... catch me up on things." The goat pulled at the fox, tugging him out of his defensive stance and walking away with him.

I frowned as they walked away then cut my eyes down to the sheep. "What... was that feeling I was getting from him?"

"He's an incubus, Sarnai, they are pleasure demons. He is still trying to control his powers, but his touch will start your reproductive parts going crazy, if you know what I mean." She brushed some curls from her horns and looked back towards the fox and goat as they exited the foyer. "They have been thick as thieves since I've known them."

"They seem very close, I'm a little jealous. I never had such a close friend in my time as a mortal." I frowned as I spoke the words, then lifted my ears as the sheep bumped me with her hip.

"Relationships are not just tied to the mortal life, Sarnai. You may no longer be living, but you can still have meaningful relationships now. Do not dwell on what is lost." She gave me a nod, her curls bouncing slightly.

I bowed to her slightly. "You are a font of knowledge as always, my lady. Thank you."

A shocked huff escaped my throat as I felt her hand upon my head, rubbing my ears and hair gently. "Don't lay it on too thick, okay my sister?" I raised from my bow and saw the sheep offer me a coy grin. "More to the point... are you ready for your evaluation in a few week's time?"

Fear settled into the pit of my stomach and I frowned. "I think so... the whole thing sounds so unnerving..."

Lorelai shrugged. "Peace my child. I have already deemed you worthy, the rest is formality. They will not go against my wishes."

I gave her a nod and lifted my ears. "Will we be studying again today, my lady?"

The sheep nodded and gripped my hand, gently pulling me with her to the study. "Yes, let us go over your cartography studies. I wish to bring you with me on my next trip in a few years."

My tail wagged excitedly at the prospect of seeing more of the world. "Oh, I am honored. Will we see the sea you described?"

"Perhaps... that depends on how far we go." Lorelai showed me her teeth in a playful grin.

#

A few weeks later I found myself standing in the foyer of my home before Lorelai and four others I had never met. My lady was the first to stand before me, then to her right a large bull easily twice her size and a few feet on me as well. The confines of the formal wear he had on seemed to strain against the sheer mass of his limbs.

"Young fox, you stand before the council of bloodstone. You seek entry into our court, do you not?" The bull ground the words out in a low deep tone of voice that seemed to shudder in the air. I could feel his power and will drip off him, perhaps even more so than my lady.

My black ears lifted and I stood a little straighter. "Yes, I do, my lord."

He grunted a nod towards Lorelai then stepped back as she stepped forward. "Sarnai, you will be asked a series of questions by each of us. You are to answer them truthfully to the best of your ability. There are no correct answers, these are questions of the heart."

I gave her a nod and flicked my tail a few times. "Understood, my lady."

Lorelai nodded and folded her hands in front of her. "Think back to the worst slight you had when you were mortal. Would you go back now, seek out those that wronged you and exact vengeance upon them?"

My dreams came to mind right away and I showed my teeth in a growl. "Would I have the means to find them and know their identity? Without hesitation."

The sheep nodded and stepped back. The large hulking bull stepped forward next and leveled me with a long gaze. "A party of hunters has slain one of your closest kinsmen within your family. You have found them and bested them, they lay before you helpless. Do you make their ends swift or do you exact a gruesome retribution upon them?"

The words made me think of the white fox and how close we had become over the season. I then felt fury building in me and extended my hand, letting black flames dance on my fingertips. "Without a doubt I would make them regret their decision to strike down my kinsmen. Their lives would be wrought with agony and suffering for days before I put them to the sword."

The third council member was a bat with a deep dark skin color I had only read about. I had never seen it personally. His presence seemed more aloof than the others as he stepped forward and flicked his wings, the tip brushing near the bull's head as he scowled and pushed it back. I couldn't help but giggle at the display.

"Sorry about that, Ra's..." The bat showed him a playful grin, then shifted to look upon me. "So... would-be sister. While out on a hunt you are discovered feeding by a mundane who is clearly with child. Do you let her go, or do you k-"

"I kill her." I spoke the words before he even finished the question.

The bat frowned and folded his arms. "So you take our laws so frivolously?"

"Do not be absurd. She would shatter the veil which is paramount. I would not risk the lives of my kinsmen over it." I huffed the words and stuck my nose up into the air.

The bat showed me his teeth in a grin. "Wow... feisty... I approve." He hummed the words as he stepped back into line.

A small female dog stepped forth next, she looked only a foot taller than Lorelai and wore a simple white tunic style dress, sporting formal laurels in her curly golden hair. "Sarnai... what do you think about love?"

I barked at the question, the topic throwing me off guard. "I... wait, what?" I showed my teeth with a growl, my cheeks darkening and my anger building for some reason. I felt frustration well up in me because I immediately thought of the white fox.

The golden-haired dog gave me a giggle and looked upon me with blue eyes that reminded me of his. "It is not a complex question, and yet it is... what do you think... about love?"

My eyes darted back and forth several times before I looked upon her again. "I don't... I mean I felt what I believe was love for my parents and my adopted family... Still, I do not believe I've experienced love that you are speaking of."

The small dog put a finger to her cheek, showing me an amused smile as she stepped back. Seemingly satisfied with my attempt at an answer.

With that, the final member of the council stepped forward, a large massive lion with exotic skin like the bats. It wasn't quite as dark, but still very deep brown and looked unearthly to me.

He folded his arms and looked down upon me, as if sizing me up. "Think back to your first kill. When you felt that rush of energy and power within you. When you felt the life of another ending at your fingertips and knowing it was all in your control. How did that make you feel?"

I grunted and looked away, biting my lower lip. His ears lifted and he roared out to me sharply. "You look upon me when you answer, fox!"

A bark escaped my throat but I jerked my eyes towards his and I clenched my teeth before speaking out bitterly. "Like a monster..."

He cocked a furry brow and showed his sharp teeth in a smirk. "The proceeding rush of pleasure and power did not make you feel like a god?"

I frowned and folded my arms across my chest. "It did not... I felt like a callus heel that ended a helpless creature's life. The hunter in me understood the need for it though. I accepted it was the way of things now."

The lion nodded and moved back into the line of nobles. Lorelai then stood and looked me over. "You are a vengeful fox, Sarnai. You will need to eventually let that go, or it will be your downfall. I assure you of that." Lorelai cleared her throat and placed her hands in front of her and clasped them. "Let the council note, I approve of Sarnai Silverpaw as a member of the court and welcome her into my family as a sister."

The bull known as Ra's stepped forth next and snorted through his nose as he eyed me for a long moment. I felt nervousness creep up my spine over his calculating look and felt my eyes avert awkwardly. "Lorelai... this one is clever and resourceful. However, I can sense a madness of anger and hatred that swirls in her like a maelstrom. Do you really feel she is proper for this?"

The sheep fixed the bull with a level look and frowned. "Do you reject my candidate, Ra's? Know that if she were to overstep her boundaries or our laws, I would take her throat myself."

The bull snorted at her then cut his eyes back towards me. "Fox... vengeance can be a sweet nectar... however, I can feel you take pleasure in the suffering of those that wrong you. Do not let this lead to your demise. Many a warrior has fallen to bravado and self-assurance, thinking they had won the day and savored their victory a moment too soon."

He rolled his neck and I heard the cracks and creaks of his body before he put his large heavy hands before him. "Let the council note, I approve of Sarnai Silverpaw as a member of the court... reluctantly."

I gritted my teeth at his words and shook my head, composing myself before the bat stood forward next. "I've got nothing fancy to say. You homed right in on that question. Our veil is number one and you get that crystal clear." The dark-skinned bat placed his hands in front of him and spoke out in a sing-song voice. "Let the council note, I approve of Sarnai Silverpaw as a member of the court."

The golden-haired dog stepped forward next and placed her hands in front of her. "Life is better with love... even this one, Sarnai." She spoke the words in a gentle bemused voice before continuing. "Let the council note, I approve of Sarnai Silverpaw as a member of the court."

The final member stood and folded his arms over his chest. "There is merit in enjoying the kill, sister. Still, I share your feelings. When you hunt, there is the thrill of the chase and struggle of survival. Too often when we hunt, it is in the shadows, and hardly a hunt but a butchering." He sighed and put his hands before him. "Never forget to respect the kill you make. Let the council note, I approve of Sarnai Silverpaw as a member of the court."