Blood & Carrots - Silverpaw Ep. 03

Story Info
Episode 3: I pray the fates never make us part.
8k words
4.87
2.4k
5
0

Part 3 of the 22 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/19/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We traveled south for a few weeks before coming upon the Black Sea. It was a huge body of water as far as the eye could see. I thought this was finally the ocean that Lorelai had told me about. She told me it connected to the ocean, but not quite. Apparently, there was a difference between the sea and the ocean. Regardless, it was the largest, angriest body of water I had ever seen, I couldn't imagine anything being bigger.

We traveled along the coast, occasionally spotting fishing villages and small towns along the way. The journey had been a long one, nearly a month of travel. When we were almost to our destination, Lorelai spoke to us about the city we were about to enter.

"We will be in the city of Istanbul soon. We're going to have to play by their rules which are admittedly, very obnoxious." The sheep spoke the words while leading the three of us.

"Istanbul?" I asked curiously, my ears lifting.

"It's the former city of Constantinople. The Turks brought it down over fifty years ago and renamed it." Val spoke out to me in an answer to my question.

"Oh, I remember reading about that city in my history books. Wasn't it supposed to be impregnable with massive walls and fortifications?" I put my finger to my cheek in thought, recalling how a lot of cities used its design of defense in their own structure.

"Sure, but they didn't expect the Turks to bring black powder and cannons to the party," Lorelai calmly answered.

"Black powder? Oh, that's the stuff that catches fire and can make fireworks." I spoke the words then grinned at myself. I had been doing nothing but training and studying since I got with my family, it made me feel good to keep up with them in conversations like this.

"That's right, but it also can make powerful if not unwieldy weapons. Cannons are like a ballista only dozens of times more powerful. The walls of Constantinople were not ready for that." Val chimed in on the topic once more.

Elias cleared his throat, obviously not wanting to be left out. "Yes, they load great iron balls into the device and use the black powder to propel them forward. It takes less manpower or materials to make than traditional siege weapons and brings much more power."

"The mundane sure come up with some interesting things." My words came out with both fear and respect.

"It will change the world, of that there is no doubt." Lorelai nodded then lifted her ears. "More to the point... Sarnai, you ride behind Elias and I will ride behind Val. You do not look at anyone and if someone speaks to you, you do not address them unless Elias gives you permission."

I barked out and showed my teeth, "I most certainly will not!"

"You most certainly will!" The sheep snarled at me, her words coming out with authority. "Women are of a lower caste here. If this were a fully Turkish city we would be required to cover our faces and tails too."

A growl carried through my throat before I jerked my nose up. "Barbarians..."

"Just a different way of thinking. Those 'barbarians' currently sport some of the greatest technology the world over. We do not need to stay in this city, but it is where we will reside for a time." Lorelai gave me a hard glance. "You two are an established couple, just pretend you are wed and you have taken the role of a wife as you would have in your tribe."

The white fox folded his ears, his cheeks dark as he looked over at me. "You know I would never willingly disrespect you or think you lesser, Sarnai."

"I know that... mmm... fine.." I grumbled the words and thrashed my tail around in irritation.

"We won't be dealing with the populace all that much anyway. Don't let it wear too heavily upon you, my sister." Lorelai gave me a reassuring smile.

"I apologize for having to act in such a manner, my lady. Know if you did not order it, I would never dream of it." Val spoke the words politely to the sheep.

"I know that, my goat. Do not worry." She responded then shook her head. "I hope the others and the servants were able to avoid any problems..."

"They know where we are going, so we should see them start to trickle in behind us over the next week or two." Elias spoke out to us optimistically.

We arrived upon the city guards who looked us over suspiciously. However, between Val and Lorelai coaxing their will, the guards were happy to let us enter without any issues. A large portion of the architecture looked recent, no doubt having been rebuilt over the last few decades. I gazed in awe at the sprawling metropolis, my tail wagging slowly about.

"This is even bigger than our home city was." I huffed the words in awe.

"A few hundred thousand I would imagine." Lorelai shrugged. "It would have been much larger before the occupation."

I barked out in shock. "Gods! How are there so many in one location?"

The sheep grinned and shook her head. "It's easier to make more mundane than us, that's how. Regardless we are here, I regret not being able to give her sufficient warning of my arrival."

We came to a halt at a large three-story building. I had never seen the style before, all brick and mortar with peaked white roofs that looked like ivory. Lorelai sighed and climbed from her steed. The large double wooden doors looked heavy and sturdy. She grasped a large copper knocking ring and knocked upon the wood three times.

After a few moments, the door groaned as it opened and a servant answered it. The sheep ran her fingertips through her hair and sighed. "Please inform your mistress that Lorelai of house Silverpaw has come to call." The small female cat nodded and quickly slipped away.

We stood there for a handful of minutes before the door opened fully, the golden-haired dog from my evaluation standing there. She was dressed in a long flowing black dress that hugged her chest and hips, a stark comparison to the simple white robes I saw her in prior.

"Lorelai, what a pleasant surprise!" She clapped her hands together once, the motion making her heavy breasts bounce slightly in her dress. "What brings you he-" Her words cut off as she saw the three of us behind her. Her green eyes darted between us, Lorelai, and the horses as if cluing in on things.

The sheep sighed and folded her arms. "Diana, you're the closest house to mine. We... need asylum."

Her mouth gaped slightly before she gave a quick nod. "You have it, all of you have it. Come in, hospitium is given." Diana pulled the door wide open and the three of us followed behind the sheep.

"Take their steeds to the stables." The dog spoke the words to a few servants that had gathered. She then turned to look upon us. "You poor things, how long have you been on the roads?"

"Nearly a month." Lorelai nodded and then shook her head. "The church set fire to our home in the middle of the day. Thankfully the four of us and the servants were the only ones in the house. The others were spread out in the city, they will most likely come behind us in the days to pass."

"How awful... wasn't your home practicing a no-killing policy?" The collie tilted her head curiously.

"We were. I wouldn't be surprised if it were more political than anything else. They probably wanted the land and just waited for an excuse. We just happened to be what we are, so there was no need to brand us heretics." Lorelai rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue.

"Dreadful... simply dreadful..." The small dog looked towards the three of us. "Well, there is more than enough room for all of your house. Come, let us get you cleaned up and comfortable. Relax and we can discuss matters further at a later date."

#

We settled in at our temporary home. Diana was nothing but kind to us and offered us all the comfort we could want. A week passed before I started to see the concern on my lady's face with each night. Once the second week had ended, her fears were obvious and she had spoken out her concerns vocally to us at dinner. The third week ended and then finally a month had passed with none others coming behind us. A few days after having been with Diana's family for a full month, we finally received visitors.

When Diana had mentioned she had visitors, Lorelai practically ran to the entrance of the mansion. I quickly followed after her as I had been in the midst of my lessons with her, learning Turkish.

I recognized the two visitors right away, servants from our home, but not family members. Lorelai was standing over them, the two mice slightly shorter than her. "Children... what are you doing here? You were instructed to disperse, take your final payment, and start your lives over!" She spoke the words sternly at them, but I could hear the relief in her voice.

"Beg your pardon, Mistress, we... we uh..." The male of the two trailed off, trying to find the words.

The female of the two spoke out calmly. "Brother... you know our Mistress would prefer we tell her without hedging words." The brown-haired mouse looked up at Lorelai and spoke out pointedly. "We came to inform you the church had obviously been keeping track of the whole of the family's movement. The remaining five of our house were ensnared individually and put to the sword."

Diana gave a shocked gasp and Lorelai stumbled back a step, her ears lifted and her mouth agape. "N-no... You jest with me, Jennifer." She whispered the words, her voice cracking slightly.

"She does not, Mistress..." The male of the two spoke out, his eyes looking away as he clenched his teeth. "There was naught we could do, even we were hunted along with the others. I and my sister were the only ones to escape."

The sheep clenched her fists along with her teeth. I saw her head lower and could clearly see tears on her cheeks, the first real emotion I had seen upon her in the whole time I had known her. I hesitated before moving to her and throwing my arms around her, not knowing what else could be done.

"Do not touch me!" Lorelai spat the words and glared upon me. I put a hand to her head and shoved her face into my chest, hugging her tightly. The sheep shuddered and I felt her arms hesitantly wrap around my form as she hugged me.

"Do not think... I am here... Elias, Val, and these two children are here. You have not lost everything!" I growled the words into her ears while my hand rested upon her head. The sheep said nothing and just nodded. I could feel my chest growing wet, she was clearly sobbing but soundlessly.

I clenched my teeth, thinking about my fallen sisters and brothers, feeling my own rage build. I buried the emotions, it wouldn't do to lose myself right now, not when the sheep I owed everything to needed me. "Lady Diana, I beg your forgiveness. Could you take Jennifer and Jeremy to rest? I will tend to my lady."

The collie gave me a nod and moved to the two mice. "With me, brave children. I will get you food and you may take a much-deserved rest."

The two of them stood from the kneel they were in. They gave me a hesitant look but I gave them a nod. The guest room emptied and Diana pulled the doors closed, leaving us alone. I felt Lorelai shudder and shake her head, hugging tighter to me.

"I... it is unbecoming... you seeing me so weak..." She huffed the words into my chest, shaking her head again.

"Do not be a fool, my lady. You have been there for me through so much... It brings me great joy to be here for you... please do not think less of yourself." I stroked her soft hair, feeling her small curled horns pushing into my bosom while she held me.

"I should... I should have ensured they were alright... I should have made sure everyone made it out." She whispered the words, her voice cracking a little.

"You did what you could... you couldn't plunge yourself into the sun. Second-guessing with what if's will only drive you mad now." I growled the words and shook my head. "Do not think. For now, just stay in my arms as long as you need."

The sheep nodded and grew silent, save for the occasional hic of a sob I would hear, muffled against my breasts. We stayed like that for nearly an hour. I didn't move from my position, I simply held her and stroked the back of her hair.

Finally, I heard a deep controlled breath escape her throat and she pulled from my arms. She opened her eyes and I saw the composure had returned to her. "Sarnai... thank you."

I gave her a smile and bowed my head. "You are not just my lady, you are my greatest friend. Gratitude is unnecessary. My arms are always here for you, my ears always open for your words."

Lorelai swallowed and gave me a sharp nod. "You mean the world to me, all three of you." She spun on her heel and started to pace from the room. "Let us go, we need to speak with those children."

We met with the twins and Diana in the dining hall while the two mice were ravenously eating. Lorelai sat at the table across from them and peaked her fingertips. "I apologize for losing my composure. You both have done me an immense service, one neither of you were obligated to do."

The brother of the two spoke out after drinking from his tankard. "You deserved to know the truth, we couldn't leave things how they were."

"Indeed. We have served you since childhood, Mistress. You have been a constant in our lives for nearly twenty years." Jennifer spoke out to her respectfully.

Lorelai huffed and shook her head. "My dominion was not in effect, you had no compulsion by me to do any of this."

"Our loyalty is with house Silverpaw, not coin." Jeremy reached to the large purse next to him and dropped it upon the table, the sound of coins heavy in it.

"What is this?" I asked curiously.

Jennifer wagged a finger. "The other servants are gone, and I and my brother would be damned if we would see the church with it. We return the coin you left us that night. We are still in your service, so there is no need for the parting payment."

Lorelai grunted at the display then shifted her gaze to Diana. "Council law states I must have approval from one other-"

"You have it. If they are willing, I will be your witness." The golden-haired collie spoke the words pointedly and folded her hands behind her back.

Lorelai lifted a brow as she looked over the two mice. "Children... a house of four is a small house indeed... You've shown your dedication and loyalty. Do you wish to step down as servants and join me as siblings?"

Jennifer pursed her lips and Jeremy grinned at her. "You see sister? I told you things would work out eventually."

The sheep frowned and pushed her will forth. "Explain yourselves."

The compulsion made both the mice lift their ears and give the sheep their full attention. "We've wanted to join your family for years!" They both spoke the words out in unison.

Lorelai showed her teeth in a grin. "You braved such a long journey, brought what was left of our houses wealth with you, and even risked your lives dodging the church, all in hopes of being brought into our family?"

Jennifer shook her head. "No... we did all that because we are loyal to Silverpaw. We will stay with you until our mortal day's end, be that by your hand, or deaths embrace."

The sheep cut her eyes back to Diana. "Members of my house cannot embrace them, it is our law. Do you have members willing to do so?"

The collie showed her teeth in a grin. "Oh yes, I could rouse up a few. I have a brother and sister in my family actually. They are not twins, but the irony will still be there." The dog hummed the words and quickly made her way out of the dining hall.

"You are certain of this?" Lorelai spoke to them, her ears lifted.

Both of them looked to one another, then back to the sheep and gave a nod. "Yes, Mistress." The two of them spoke once more in unison.

Lorelai chuckled and shook her head. "Well savor that title, you won't need it soon." The sheep clicked her tongue and grinned at them. "Savor that meal too, mundane food won't be the same ever again."

#

The two mice joined our ranks and Lorelai wasted no time setting them to training both in combat as well as the mind. Diana's home became ours and she told us to take as long as we liked. Time as always was constant and moving. Before I knew it their house had become as our own and we had been with them nearly a decade.

"So... know I will long for you every night." Elias folded his ears, his hands clasped in my own as we stood together in front of the large mansion.

"I will long for you as well, my love. Please be safe while I am away." I stepped into his arms and we embraced in a long deep kiss. We had spent the previous day in bed, making love and holding one another, trying to get it out of our systems before tonight.

Diana smiled at Lorelai. "So you're sure you will be moving on after you return from your journey?"

"Yes, Sister. I am eternally grateful for your aid. This will likely be my last journey into the eastern regions before I move my family further to the west. I plan to use the wealth we've accrued to move some goods and turn a profit. I will then use the funds to establish a new home." Lorelai moved to embrace the slightly larger dog in a hug.

"Know you always are welcome here and I wish you safe travels," Diana spoke the words gently while holding the sheep tightly.

I pulled from Elias and offered him a coy grin. "I will bring you a souvenir from the journey."

"I look forward to it." The white fox held my hands and we stared into one another's eyes for a long moment.

"That's enough you two. We should be going." Lorelai spoke the words to me in commandment and I pulled from his hands.

"We should be back before the first snows of next winter," Lorelai spoke out to the white fox while climbing upon the small covered wagon of various trade goods.

"Safe travels, my lady. I will miss you as well." The fox bowed politely.

#

We set out with our small wagon of various textile goods. Lorelai had insisted we could turn a tidy profit for the items and we were making the trip anyway, so we would sell them off once we arrived.

Spring was a few weeks out, but we left regardless, counting on the snows to melt on the way. We retraced our route we had taken when we fled nearly a decade ago. The trip was uneventful and within the month we could see the gates of our old home in the distance.

"Hmm... it's gotten bigger..." Lorelai spoke the words calmly as she reigned the steeds in to guide the cart.

"Indeed..." We both shared a look before I cleared my throat. "So what will we do?"

"The Turks will have little interest in anything this city can offer. We will sell our wares along with the wagon. We will then travel on horseback further east. We will make the trip I made when we found you, and then we will circle back and return to our new home."

I gave her a nod and followed her lead as we entered the city. Thankfully since spring had just begun, the sun didn't rise terribly early compared to the summer months. We were able to conduct our trade and seek lodging before the light fully broke. Lorelai ended up being an expert negotiator at the table, though I'm sure her natural powers for domination had a strong play in things.

We settled in and then I woke in the afternoon to the sound of steel on a grindstone. I lifted my ears and sat up from the bed, seeing Lorelai sharpening her small cutlass. She lifted her ears and smiled upon me. "Apologies if I woke you."

"It was time I stirred, think nothing of it." I sat up and moved my elbows over my knees, looking her over. "Expecting to use that tonight?"

"Yes." She spoke the word pointedly and resumed sharpening her sword.

"I hope you planned to take me along," I growled the words and reached to my saber at the nightstand.

"Do not be daft, of course I did," Lorelai spoke the words calmly and tossed me the whetstone.

I nodded and began to grind my own blade, making sure the edge was razor sharp. "What happened to not seeking vengeance?"