Blood of Dragons - The Hunter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who is your mistress?"

Jouzen hesitated, choosing his words carefully. "She is the ruler of her domain, wealthy and powerful."

Thonan sighed in frustration. "You are deliberately trying to make this difficult!"

Jouzen kept silent. It wasn't a question.

"Of course he is!" Trinn spoke up. "You're prying into his life right after he woke up, just because of the way he's dressed! Jouzen saved my life, can't you give him some benefit of the doubt?"

Jouzen blinked. He'd never had someone speak on his behalf before.

"Sneaking around at night dressed like that? Of course I won't!" snapped Thonan. He turned back to Jouzen. "Do you intend to kill someone?"

"Only those deemed necessary," said Jouzen.

"And who would you deem necessary to kill?"

"Those that stand in the way of my mission."

Thonan's teeth were audibly grinding. "And who is -"

"That's enough!" shouted Trinn. "I'll ask the proper questions now!" She knelt down in front of Jouzen. "Why did you save my life?"

"Because you could not save yourself," said Jouzen.

"Are you planning on killing any of us right now?"

"No." Jouzen gave silent thanks for the unintended technicality in the question.

"That settles it!" said Trinn, standing up. "Turn off your shield-y truth-light, Thonan! We're done here!"

"No, we're not!" snarled the knight. "If he's so trustworthy, why is he hiding his face?"

"It doesn't matter!" Trinn said.

"It's alright," said Jouzen. He locked eyes with Thonan. "I keep my face covered, because the sight of me disturbs people. It is the result of a difficult birth, and is not pleasant to look upon. And," he said, looking crestfallen, "it causes me great shame."

The next few moments passed in silence. Trinn glared at Thonan. "Are you satisfied?"

Thonan snorted, the light from his holy symbol fading away. "Not by a long shot, but clearly the rest of you don't see what he's trying to do."

"He. Saved. My. Life!" said Trinn.

"If he is not going to kill us, then I am ambivalent," said Caylivandra, absently paging through her tome.

"He needs help, and we are helping him. There's nothing wrong with that," said Aela.

"Uh, I don't think I said anything?" said Rory with a shrug.

"Never mind," Thonan grumbled. "We shall camp here for one more day, so that our new... "friend" can regain his strength in safety. But tomorrow, we have our own mission to attend to, in case you all have forgotten what you're being paid for!" He gave Jouzen one more glare. "Don't think this means I trust you."

"Ignore him," said Trinn as Thonan busied himself elsewhere. "I trust you. And so does everyone else, right?" she added, looking at the others.

"Um, naturally," said Aela, though her smile looked shaky.

"I'm fine with it if you are," Rory said.

"I have no opinion on the matter," said Caylivandra, still reading, "but know that I have the arcane power to turn you into a smouldering pile of ash, and should you turn on us I will not hesitate to use it."

"Wow, thanks guys," said Trinn, not bothering to be subtle with her sarcasm.

"Don't worry," said Jouzen, shifting himself onto his knees. "You don't know me, and I don't deny that I look suspicious; you have every right not to trust me. But thank you for your aid; I promise that come tomorrow I will trouble you no further." He made an attempt to stand, wobbling as he rose. "If you'll excuse me once again, I need to... ah, perform my ablutions?"

"Oh, of course," said Aela, blushing a little. "Come on everyone, let's give the man some privacy."

"Let me know if you need any help!" Trinn called after Jouzen as he staggered towards the bushes. "Er, that is, I mean... when you're done... if you need help..." she stammered. "I mean with walking! You know!"

Jouzen crouched in the foliage; his body didn't have enough of anything inside it yet to expel. Instead, he raised his hand to the earring.

<I beg forgiveness, my mistress,> he whispered. <It was not my intent to ignore your words; I was incapacitated and required a few moments more to recover.

<I have located the halfling thief; I have managed to gain her trust and have integrated myself with her companions, for the moment at least.

<By this time tomorrow, she will lay dead by my hand, and I shall return to you that which was stolen. This I promise you.>

*******

"So naturally, the Order didn't want to panic anyone by marching a whole platoon of knights across the land, so we were hired to go check it out and confirm the rumour," explained Trinn.

"I see." Jouzen looked thoughtful, though it was hard to tell. The two of them sat in the sunlight next to the extinguished campfire, Trinn happily chatting away while Jouzen listened pensively. He didn't say much, but Trinn didn't mind; she liked having someone around who was genuinely interested in what she had to say.

"Yup. And now that we know for sure there's a dragon in there, we can go back and report to Thonan's commander. I mean, I'd have thought Cayli could just send him a message with magic, but these knights are so paranoid, they won't accept a confirmation unless it comes straight from one of their own." Trinn sighed. "Would save us a lot of time and effort if they'd loosen up once in a while."

"And when the Order of the Arbiter learn that the dragon exists, they'll want to... eliminate it?" Jouzen asked.

"More than likely! A few random sightings are one thing, but knowing where a dragon makes nest just makes people more scared; they'll want it driven away or better yet, killed in order to feel safe again."

"I suppose that's only natural," Jouzen said quietly.

"I'm more curious about what's going to happen to all that treasure the dragon has tucked away," said Trinn, her eyes dreamily glazing over. "With a pile of gold that high, I'd be able to buy seven kingdoms!"

"You appreciate riches, then?" Jouzen said.

"Probably more than anything," Trinn confessed. "I didn't have much growing up, so I guess I take to the finer things in life now." And you're certainly fine, she added in her head, allowing herself a surreptitious glance up and down Jouzen's body, her imagination running wild again. "If you're rich, you can go wherever you want, and do whatever you want. I mean, I do that now, but being rich makes it a lot easier." She cocked her head. "You said your mistress was wealthy. Does she travel a lot?"

Jouzen looked surprised. "Not really. Occasionally she will go on a journey, but for the most part I'm the one who deals with her affairs out in the world."

"So you must get to travel all over the land," said Trinn. "How far have you gone? I've always wanted to travel beyond the Empire..."

"Ah, not as far as that," said Jouzen. "Usually I don't travel much further than as far as a few days can take me."

"What?" said Trinn. That didn't sound right.

"My mistress does not like me to be far from her for too long," said Jouzen. "She grows... uncomfortable when I am out of her sight."

"But what about this mission you said you were on?"

Jouzen shuffled his feet awkwardly. "I think she was hoping I would have returned by now."

"Sound rather controlling to me," said Trinn. "I could never be tied down like that; if rich people want me to do anything, they had better be paying me well. Or at the very least, there should be something rewarding along the way." She sighed. "Like take this job for example. Sure, we're getting paid to scout out a dragon's lair, but it's hardly enough for the risk involved. That's why I picked up a souvenir on the way out."

Trinn reached into her pack and pulled out her prize, the obsidian dragon sparkling in the morning sun. She saw Jouzen's eyes widen and smiled. "Pretty, isn't it? Could fetch one hell of a price on the market, but I might want to hang onto it. Would make for a great conversation piece."

Jouzen said nothing, enraptured by the statuette. Trinn noticed his silence. "Hey, I know it's breath-taking and all, but you must have seen all kinds of things like this if your mistress is so rich, right?"

He shook himself. "She usually keeps such things for herself."

"Gods above, you have the worst job in the world!" said Trinn, putting the dragon away carefully. "What kind of boss keeps their servants on such a short leash with nothing to show for it?"

Jouzen kept silent; Trinn patted his arm sympathetically. "Hey, I'm sure your mistress is great and everything, but it sounds like you could do with more appreciation for what you do. Or at the very least, have a bit more fun in your life."

Nonchalantly, she clasped her hands in her lap and slowly brought her elbows together, while subtly pushing her chest forward; she glanced away and pretended not to notice the resulting display of her cleavage through the thin fabric of her tunic. Out of the corner of her eye, Trinn saw that Jouzen noticed very much, watching for just a second too long before turning his head and clearing his throat. Trinn smirked to herself. Gotcha.

"Have you ever thought about going solo? Becoming a mercenary or a free agent?"

"I could never," said Jouzen, staring at the sky. "My mistress needs me too much."

"Clients appreciate your kind of commitment to the job, you'd make a killing," said Trinn. "Especially with this thing." She pulled Jouzen's dagger from her belt and held it out to him. "You don't see a magic weapon like this too often."

Jouzen glanced at the enchanted blade. "You're giving it back to me, just like that?"

"Why, are you going to stab me with it right after using it to save my life?" Trinn said mockingly. "Thonan would probably object, but screw him; I trust you."

Jouzen hesitantly took the dagger and returned it to its sheath. "That's not something I hear much."

"Because of the mask?" asked Trinn before she could stop herself. "Ah... I mean... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"You're not wrong," Jouzen sighed. "But if I were to walk around with my face exposed, I would appear even less trustworthy. The mask is the lesser of two evils. My mistress has always told me that people would reject me when they saw my face; I've never seen anyone else with my... condition."

"Maybe out here in the middle of the country," said Trinn. "But the Empire is a big place; I can guarantee that in the cities, you wouldn't get a second glance from most people."

"You don't even know what I look like, you can't be sure of that."

"Trust me, you would not believe the kind of people I've seen wandering around the capital," said Trinn. "Like this one time..."

The next few hours passed in a blur as Trinn told tale after tale; Jouzen listened first in silence, then with interest, and soon with mirth. His laugh was deep and thunderous, and it made Trinn quiver inside, encouraging her to keep talking. By the time the rest of the party assembled for the midday meal, she and Jouzen were falling over each other laughing. The others looked on with mixed reactions.

"Enjoying yourselves, are you?" grunted Thonan.

"Yup!" said Trinn, as Jouzen coughed and righted himself. "It's fun, you should try it sometime."

"I would greatly enjoy myself more, if I didn't have to listen to you prattle all day and night," the knight responded.

"Oh relax, Thonan. Let's just get through lunch without another argument," said Aela, pulling out some cooking utensils.

"And if you don't want to hear me talk all night, don't take watch with me," said Trinn. "Let me chat with someone else for a change."

"You know I require silence for my meditations," said Caylivandra. "Perhaps if Rory or Aela would prefer to...?"

"Ah... um... well..." Rory and Aela mumbled, avoiding eye contact with everyone, including each other.

"Of course," sighed Thonan. "It seems I'm still the only one with the patience to -"

"I would be happy to do so," said Jouzen.

Everyone looked to him and Trinn's heart leaped. Perfect! She had been loosening him up all morning; by tonight, she would have a chance to make her move.

Aela turned to the halfling. "Well, if it's alright with you, Tri-"

"YES!" Trinn blurted.

Thonan scowled. "Whatever happens, remember that you've brought it on yourself."

Oh I certainly hope so... Trinn thought.

*******

Jouzen lay awake in the darkness, unable to find sleep. He had already rested well for most of the day, and his renewed energy was still running high. Not to mention that it would soon be time for his watch, the watch he would be sharing with Trinn. It would be the perfect opportunity to strike; he would be able to eliminate her, take the statuette and disappear before any of the others knew what had happened. But her words rolled around in his head, all her talk of freedom. It sounded so foolish, so naively simple, but yet so idyllic.

To go where he pleased, to live his own life, without his mistress...

Jouzen shivered. The thought was as terrifying as it was tempting. He could not imagine living without her; she had given him everything, his very existence. An existence of serving her will and whims, never his own. Compared to Trinn's life, a life of happiness through hardship...

"Psst, Jouzen!"

The halfling's voice interrupted his thoughts, and Jouzen held still, feigning sleep as he gathered his resolve. It was almost time.

"Hey, wake up," said Trinn, gently shaking his shoulder.

Jouzen pretended to blink sleep from his eyes. "Is it time for our watch?"

"Almost," she whispered. "I've got something for you to see first."

Jouzen picked himself up and stretched; Trinn stood by, smiling from ear to ear. "Come, check this out," she said, waving for him to follow. She led him through the middle of the camp, lighting up a torch as they passed the dwindling fire. Jouzen glanced around, noting that no-one else seemed to be about.

"Where are Aela and Rory?" he asked. "Weren't we supposed to relieve them?"

"Oh they're getting relief alright," said Trinn. She wandered into the trees, taking care to tread lightly over any fallen branches and remain silent. Jouzen instinctively mimicked her. It could be now, he thought. Alone in the dark, it would be quick... But he continued to follow, curious in spite of himself. As they picked their way through the trees, Jouzen could hear a whimpering sound coming from up ahead. Trinn set aside her torch, put a finger to her lips and pointed to the bushes. Jouzen crept forward and peeked through the foliage.

Aela was on all fours, naked and with her braids unbound, long blonde hair spilling over her bare shoulders. Rory was bent over her from behind, his equally naked chest pressed to her back. One arm was wrapped around her heavy bosom, the other hand was covering her mouth; Aela's muffled moans kept time with Rory's hips as he thrust into her, her buttocks slapping and rippling with each impact. Rory was biting his lip, trying to keep his own grunts of lust as quiet as possible, while also shoving himself as deep as he could.

Jouzen's breath caught in his throat, much like it had the previous night when he had come across Trinn. Did none of them have any shame at all?

"Fucking hot, right?" whispered Trinn. "They think that the rest of us don't know about them, but they make it way too obvious just by looking at each other. And they always take their watch together, just for this."

"Why -" Jouzen began.

"Shh!" hissed Trinn. "Just wait a moment, don't make a sound." Louder she called out, "Aela? Rory? You out here?"

The man and the dwarf froze mid thrust; Aela giggled in embarrassment as Rory straightened up. "Trinn?" he called back, trying to keep the wavering out of his voice.

"Didn't see you back at the camp, just checking you were alright!" Trinn said, winking at Jouzen.

"Uh, yeah, we're... we're all good here, we'll be back soon!" Rory said. He and Aela shared a look and smothered their laughter.

"Alright. Wherever you are, Jouzen and I are going to patrol a bit, so you can go straight to bed when you get back!" Trinn motioned with her head and began to sneak away. Jouzen sat stunned for a moment, listening to Rory and Aela giggle a little more and resume their lovemaking.

"Hey, come on!" whispered Trinn. "Let's leave them to it."

Jouzen shook himself and followed after her. She went a ways through the woods, before stopping under a familiar tree.

"Recognise this?" Trinn asked, not bothering to whisper anymore. "This is where you saved me last night." She sat down on a root and patted the ground next to her. Hesitantly, Jouzen sat down next to her, unsure of what was happening.

"Why did you show me that?" he said.

"What, Rory and Aela?" said Trinn. "I had to let them know that we had started our watch, or they might have come looking for us instead, and I didn't want them to interrupt us."

"Us? What do you -" Jouzen didn't get to finish his question before Trinn hopped down into his lap, cupped his face in her hands and planted a firm kiss on his mouth, through his mask.

"And I might have wanted to get a head start on working you up," she said breathily, grinding her curvy butt into his crotch.

Jouzen couldn't move. Feelings were racing through his heart and conflict through his mind. The echo of his mistress' orders reverberated in his skull, urging him to strike down the halfling now; he wouldn't have a better chance than this. But the passion behind that kiss, the sight of the others' copulating, the swelling in his groin and the closeness of Trinn's body all fought against that voice. He wanted her dead; he wanted her body; he wanted her punished; he wanted her, he wanted her...

"Jouzen?" Trinn said, concerned. "Jouzen, are you alright?"

"I... I..." he couldn't formulate the words.

"Am I moving too fast?" Trinn sat back in Jouzen's lap. "It's just... you barely took your eyes off me all day, I saw you staring at me, and I thought..." She covered her face with her hands. "I'm sorry. I wanted to thank you for saving me, and I thought that since you had already seen me... I mean, I thought you wanted to..."

Jouzen looked down at her, and saw something that Trinn had not shown in the short time he had known her. The veneer of cockiness fell away, and he caught a glimpse of a lonely young woman, yearning for a kind of attention that went beyond an audience. In spite of everything that was telling him not to, Jouzen wanted to give it to her.

"Trinn," he said carefully. "I want to. I really do, but..." His gut clenched. His next step might give him cause to take drastic measures; he hoped it would not come to that, though it had been his purpose from the start. Jouzen raised his hands to his face, fingers curling around the edge of his mask and the hood of his cloak.

"Jouzen, you don't have to -"

"I must, or you won't understand," he said, and let the covers around his head fall away. In light of Trinn's torch, his face shone; a lattice of tiny black scales ran from his cheekbones, covering his lips and jaw, growing larger as they trailed down his neck. At his temples were a pair of horns, curled like those of a ram, extending around the back of his skull. He gritted his teeth anxiously, displaying a mouthful of sharp fangs behind which sat a reptilian tongue.

Trinn's eyes and mouth widened; she scrambled out his lap and stepped back. "You're..."

"A half-dragon," Jouzen said. "My mistress is the dragon you stole from... and she is my mother."

Trinn began to visibly tremble. "Then... the mission she sent you on... was to..."

"Yes," he said. "But I can't!" He stood up, causing Trinn to retreat a few more steps. "I was sent here to kill you, but I can't do it!" He paced back and forth, his cloak swirling around him like the tail of an agitated cat. "My whole life I've been told what to do, faced punishment for refusing, never being allowed my own will. And then I meet you, and you fill my head with ideas of freedom, and passion, and..." He collapsed to his knees. "I should be better than this! I shouldn't be tempted by this! I don't know what to do!" He clutched his face, his shoulders heaving. "I don't know what I'm meant to do..."