Blood Relations Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It would have been nice if someone had told me that," Serena said.

"She's not used to working with anyone," Adam said. "Don't hold it against her."

"Is she sick?"

"Something like that," Adam said. "As promised I brought you lunch."

Adam pulled two sandwiches out of his bags and handed one to Serena. He sat down on the corner of her desk, before pulling out two pops and setting them in front of her.

"I wish there was somewhere to eat outside," Serena said.

"You get an hour right?" Adam said. "We can walk to the closest picnic table. It could be nice?"

"And just leave this place empty?"

"I'm not sure if you noticed," Adam said. "But it's not like you get a lot of walk-ins. This place is just one of the many cogs in the Hawkins' empire that keeps things running smoothly."

Adam snatched the sandwich out of Serena's hands and started packing the bag up again before she could protest. It didn't seem right to just leave this place empty, but she couldn't think of a reason why not. She followed Adam outside and locked up the shop before letting him lead the way.

Surprisingly the nearest outdoor spot wasn't very far. Only a couple hundred feet behind the building. Adam jumped on one side on the table and re handed out the food and drinks.

"Isn't this early for you?" Serena asked.

"Not by much," Adam said.

"Sorry about passing out on you last night," Serena said.

She needed to get that out. It was annoying her holding it in.

"Hey," Adam said. "You have nothing to apologize for. Last night meant a lot to me. It feels nice to have someone to talk to. Thank you."

This was not the response she expected from Adam, but Serena nodded her head in agreement. Maybe he wasn't such an ass after all.

"Did you and Piper make up?" Serena asked.

"No," Adam said. "We won't until she comes to her senses. I've been sleeping at Lance's, but running home to check on her and change my clothes."

"You guys will get through this," Serena said.

Adam shrugged. Serena took a bite of her food and then decided to change the subject.

"So you have to work tonight?"

"Yep," Adam said. "I get to open, yay me."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Mondays aren't the busiest night, but every night we make some money. Opening means you have to get there at six, and there aren't a lot of people scheduled, so we tend to work pretty late. I'm guessing I will get let go around four."

"The club opens at six?" Serena asked.

"No," Adam said. "We don't open until ten. So that means four hours of bar prep with zero tips. Great way to start the work week."

"Do you have a set schedule?"

"I have Saturdays off," Adam said. "Then the club is closed on Sundays, but the other days I know I work, just not always sure on what hours I work."

"I bet you have some great stories though," Serena said. "Working around all those drunk people."

"Oh man," Adam said. "You wouldn't believe some of them..."

Serena leaned back and enjoyed listening to every detail that came out of Adam's mouth. By the end of his tales she was in stitches. Her phone started beeping, breaking up their laughter.

"Someone calling?" Adam asked.

"I get zero service anywhere in this town," Serena said. "This is pretty much just a clock now."

"There's really only one provider who covers the area," Adam said. "Why is your clock beeping?"

"Because it's been fifty five minutes," Serena said. "I need to get back before the hour is up."

"You are a stickler for the strangest things," Adam said. "Who cares if you're late?"

"I promised Malcolm I would treat this job seriously," Serena said. "He was sort of my knight in shining armor offering me the position."

"I promise you Sir Malcolm will have no clue if you're five minutes late," Adam said.

"But I'll know," Serena said. "Come on. Walk me back before you do whatever it is you do for the next five hours."

Adam groaned, but stood up from the picnic table with Serena. She enjoyed her time with Adam. There was no pressure around him. It was like he knew exactly what to say to make her comfortable. Serena surprised herself when she reached out and grabbed his hand. He gave her a wide eyed look, but squeezed her hand as they walked towards the front of the building.

When they rounded the corner Serena stopped dead in her tracks. All the goodwill she had coursing through her veins vanished. Standing outside the little office was non-other than Malcolm. He was staring at Adam and Serena with fire in his eyes. She tried to drop Adam's hand, but he wouldn't let go. She was certain this was it. She was about to be fired and sent back to New Mexico. The dread in her heart turned to pure terror at the thought.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*

Adam could feel Serena try to pull her hand away, but he was not about to let Malcolm feel any satisfaction. He gripped on to her as hard as he could without hurting her. He loved the look of anger in Malcolm's eyes. The worse it got the larger Adam's smile grew. He was right to pursue this human.

"I'm sorry," Serena said. "We were just out for lunch."

"Malcolm," Adam said. "How are you today?"

"Serena, I thought we discussed your taking this job seriously," Malcolm said, ignoring Adam's question.

"Trust me when I say that Serena has been taking this job more than seriously," Adam said. "She worked all weekend. You would not believe how much she has accomplished."

Malcolm took a breath. Adam wanted to celebrate in his uneasiness.

"Congratulations about your sister," Malcolm said.

A small smile spread across Malcolm's lips. Adam felt the hairs on his neck rise. Malcolm knew Piper wouldn't be in today, but let Serena worry. Adam shook the thought away, that was not why Malcolm made that comment. He wanted to get under Adam's skin about Piper.

"It is fabulous news," Adam said. "Why don't you explain it to Serena. She was confused why her boss didn't show up."

"Serena is a smart girl," Malcolm said. "She will ask questions about what she is interested in. I am more here to let her know about work."

"How about Serena is standing right here," she said. "And is very confused about what is happening."

"Of course," Malcolm said. "I just stopped by to see how your weekend went."

"I got a lot of work done," Serena said. "I'm converting the files alphabetically, but I'm already to the "E"s, I don't think this will take three months."

"Lucky for us Piper will be out the rest of the week," Malcolm said. "If you're eager why don't we go inside and I will show you her work."

Adam was staring at Malcolm too hard to notice Serena slip out of his grip. As soon as she was gone he missed the feeling of her hand. Now Malcolm was in control. Adam wanted to grab Serena and show his dominance, but he could still tell she was in a fragile state. That sort of movement would terrify her. Instead he gave her a casual wave goodbye, hoping that Malcolm couldn't do any damage to his plans.

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~

"I really have been working all weekend," Serena said. "I don't want you to think I am skimping out."

"So I see you have met Adam Parrish," Malcolm said. "What is your relationship with him?"

Serena didn't want to talk about her personal life with her boss. Instead of answering she headed towards Piper's desk.

"He seems nice," Serena said. "Can you tell me what to do with these files?"

"Did you know that he has no loyalty?" Malcolm asked.

"My interest hasn't extended that far," Serena said. "I am here to work. Can you just give me some guidance."

Serena couldn't lose this job. She needed to keep Malcolm focused. In all honesty she was incredibly proud of her accomplishments the last four days. She expected to blow her boss out of the water with them.

"You know he is a drug addict," Malcolm said.

"Recovering," Serena said.

She had a feeling this conversation was about to take a dangerous turn. Malcolm looked shocked at her response. Clearly Adam doesn't talk openly about his past. It wasn't fair that Malcolm thought it was his place to tell Serena that.

"Is that they type of people you involve yourself with?" Malcolm asked.

"No," Serena said. "I tend to stick with decent people, who won't judge someone based on their faults. If I'm not in a similar crowd let me know and I will leave."

Serena could tell Malcolm did not like her response. Serena swore he let out a growl, but he quietly calmed himself. She lowered her head and reminded herself she was here to work. The job had to be her number one priority.

"What time did you arrive today?"

"About 8:15," Serena said.

"When did you leave for lunch?"

"Fifty-five minutes before we walked in on you," Serena said.

After spending time with Adam and Piper, Malcolm's questions were making her more agitated than they should. It didn't seem like he ran that tight of a ship with anyone else.

"Will you stay away from Adam Parrish?"

"Is he affecting my job performance?"

"He is affecting you," Malcolm said.

"That isn't what I asked," Serena said.

Malcolm dropped the angry glare. Instead he just looked concerned.

"I shouldn't have brought you here, but I don't know where else to send you."

"What?" Serena asked.

"Just stay away from him," Malcolm said. "Anyone but him has my approval."

"And why do I need your approval about my personal life?"

Serena felt a similar anger towards Malcolm that crossed her mind when Adam pissed her off. Malcolm didn't seem as forceful about returning her glare as Adam did though.

"You're responsible for the entire operation until Piper returns," Malcolm said.

He started towards the door.

"And when will that happen?" Serena asked.

Malcolm stopped and looked at her before leaving the store with no answer. Serena could not have planned the afternoon stranger in her mind. Instead on continuing to convert she walked over to Piper's desk and picked up the newly dropped off forms, determined to make sure her and Piper's work was finished by the rest of the day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The light tap on the door sounded, but Adam was expecting it this time.

"Come in," he said.

Piper came in and sat down on the bed.

"How was your night?" Adam asked.

He knew she wouldn't answer. Truthfully the last thing he wanted was a response.

"Same old," Piper said. "How about yours?"

"Lance told me if I opened up to Serena she would be easier to get into bed," Adam said. "So I told her about Josephine."

"Are you joking?" Piper asked. "How did she react?"

"She was...sweet, maybe even supportive," Adam said.

"Did you get in her bed?" Piper asked.

"No," Adam said. "It didn't really do anything. She didn't feel the urge to share back like Lance predicted."

Adam tried to think of the last time he lied to his sister, but couldn't find the answer. He justified his lie by the fact she was currently lying to him about being mated.

"Malcolm saw us together though," Adam said. "You have no idea how good that made me feel. He was so angry he was about to shift on spot."

"So you're really doing it?" Piper asked. "You're going to hurt that girl just to get back at Malcolm."

"Not hurt her," Adam said. "Just use her."

"Are you ready to hear about me and Thomas?" Piper asked.

"No," Adam said. "He's nobody to me.,,you either,"

"Well we agreed we are not going to leave this apartment until you break down and speak to us," Piper said.

"Tell him not to worry," Adam replied. "I will pick up groceries."

Piper let out a little laugh and Adam felt himself glow with the fact he was making her happy. Before he could dwell on it for too long other issues came to mind.

"I'm going to be late to work," Adam said.

"Black shirt, grey pants," Piper said. "Not your normal Monday attire."

"Maybe a lucky girl is going to come see me," Adam said.

He started to walk out of the room when Piper reached up and grabbed his arm.

"I know you are the strong one," Piper said. "But please try not to demolish Serena. She didn't sign up for this. I know you well enough to know you hate innocent bystanders. Find another way to get back at Malcolm."

Adam shook Piper loose.

"I will honor that request as soon as you admit that man hiding out in your room LIKE A COWARD isn't your mate," Adam said.

Piper was clearly upset at his choice of emphasis, but Adam didn't care. He walked out of the apartment, happy to get to work and focus on business instead of revenge or the mistake his sister was making.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"This place is pretty busy for a Monday," Lance said.

Adam pulled a beer from one of the coolers. He went to add the dash of wildflower and then dropped it off with its patron.

"You should be thrilled," Lance said. "But instead you look agitated. Were you expecting someone to show up?"

"Maybe," Adam said. "I gave her all the hints. Started at six, but the club didn't open until ten. I've been stopping by her work, figured she would return the favor."

"Baby doll has really gotten under your skin," Lance said.

"More like Malcolm continues to get under my skin," Adam said. "I got such a rush seeing the anger on his face, and I'm not even sleeping with her yet. Can you imagine how mad he will get once that happens?"

"This game you're playing seems a little cruel," Lance said.

"When have you cared about a human?"

"Ummmm, plenty of times," Lance said. "This heart might not beat, but it still exists. I need humans to survive in case you forgot."

Adam didn't mean to sound so nasty. The line for drinks was backing up again.

"Sorry," Adam said. "That was a jerk thing to say."

Lance let out a fake gasp.

"Has hell actually frozen over? An apology from the great Adam Parrish," Lance said.

"How about you come back here and help me out?" Adam asked.

"I'm not much for working," Lance said.

"Don't consider it work," Adam said. "Think of it as a favor to me."

"I never can say no to you," Lance said.

Adam went back to taking orders and Lance jumped right in next to him. He couldn't believe Serena didn't show up to see him. Tomorrow he would stop by and find out why.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Serena woke before her alarm again. Last night's dream was more vivid than before. She wanted to help that woman who was being beaten, but not as badly as she wanted to save the children. Instead she was incapable of doing either.

She went to the kitchen to make some cereal. When she pulled open the refrigerator door to grab the milk she saw the extra dinner she had made last night and felt guilty. It was her plan to take it to the club at six and surprise Adam, but at the last second she changed her mind.

It was not Malcolm's place to dictate her personal life. That was just inappropriate for any employer, but Serena needed this job. Without it she would be in New Mexico in a dorm alone and Jacob would know right where she was. She would transfer schools to stay away from him, but she was too close to graduating. If she moved a new university would make her retake all of her upper level classes. That seemed like a waste of money and time. She let out a sigh.

It wasn't even June yet. Serena could wait until at least July to figure out how to handle Jacob. She was hopeful that he would lose interest by then. Maybe some other girl would be dumb enough to kiss him at a party and he could find a new person to stalk.

She poured her cereal and read Adam's note from yesterday. Serena admitted to herself there was an attraction there, but she was glad it hadn't progressed very far. It would be easy to get over him and move on.

Serena wore her hair in a high bun on the top of her head and a peach dress that was fitted at the waist. She chose the same shoes as yesterday, already having decided they would be her everyday shoe from here on out.

When Serena arrived downstairs she did a quick check of her student e-mail. There was nothing of interest. She decided to open her personal e-mail and see if he was already losing steam. The list of the messages went:

WHORE

SLUT

CUM DUMPSTER

WHORE

WHORE

WHORE

Serena had seen enough. She was about to close out of the browser when a better thought crossed her mind. She went to the account information and was about to hit deactivate, but then remembered why she couldn't do that. She went back out to the main page and opened up the folder named Mom&Dad. There was a list of all the e-mails they had sent her over the years. She saved every one of them. A tear formed in her eye when she opened one from last summer. It was a picture of the three of them her mom thought she would like. Serena couldn't believe how happy she looked in the photo. She didn't think she would ever be that happy again.

The sound of the door opening startled Serena. She closed out of the browser before looking up. Standing in the doorway was a stranger. At first Serena stayed seated, not having dealt with a client before. Then she rose from her seat.

"Welcome to Hawkins Accounting," Serena said. "How can I help you?"

The man looked around her age. He had shaggy hair down to just below his ears, must have been closer to 7 feet than 6 and was as thin as a beanpole. He smiled at her and two dimples showed in his cheeks.

"You might have to work on your receptionist skills if that's what you want to be," he said.

"I get to be the accountant, receptionist, manager, really everything at the moment," Serena said. "But what can I help you with?"

He walked over to the third unused desk.

"Actually, I am here to help you," he said. "Since Piper is out for the time being. My name is John."

He held out his hand. Serena stood up and shook it.

"Serena," she said. "Do you know how Piper's feeling?"

"I would guess amazing," John said.

"I thought she was sick," Serena said.

"More like lovesick," John said. "She is taking time off to spend with her new guy."

"Thomas?" Serena asked. "The one she told me she loves and has known forever?"

"You're very perceptive," John said. "Known forever, but only just decided to start dating, I guess you could say. Either way, her time off is approved by the Al...Hawkins, so you're stuck with me. I'm not much for book keeping, but I'm pretty good at following directions. So tell me what to do and I'm on it."

Serena looked at the pile of paperwork on Piper's desk. It was nearing the end of the month and the accounts probably had to be balanced. That sounded more interesting than what she was doing. Besides, now that the Excel sheets were created it was pretty much data entry. A monkey could do her job.

"How do you fell about converting old files to digital ones?" Serena asked with a smile.

John smiled a big toothy grin. Serena thought he was cute, or at least could be if he cut his hair.

"I'm your guy," he said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Serena was amazed at how much money the town generated in a month. She was going through the businesses and balancing the books, starting with the ones she had already converted. John was typing away at the keys singing along to the music he was playing.

"I like your playlist," Serena said.

"I can't take any credit," John said. "It's just a radio station."

"Like an actual radio station?" Serena asked.

"No no no," John said. "One of those Internet radio lists. Come over here and I'll show it to you."

Serena figured why not. She pushed off from her desk and walked over to Johns. He pointed at the screen and she leaned down to get a better look.

"They have radio stations, premade playlists, make your own playlists," John said. "It's pretty awesome. Name a song."

"Double shot of my baby's love," Serena said.

"Never heard of it," John said. "But I'll give it a try."

He typed it in the search box and sure enough it appeared. Serena smiled when the familiar tune her parents loved so much came out of the speakers.