Blue Waters in Your Eyes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

1977 became 1978.

In the first week of January, Izabela returned to Northeastern.

January passed, with no word or sign of Arlindo. February began and she still had no word from her son. By late February, she reached the end of her tether. Lying in bed one morning, she let it all out in a rant to Levi.

"It kills me that he's doing this. At first I believed it when he said he was only going away to get his resentment under control. I tried not to take it personally. But it's been almost six months since then, and now I think he's keeping it up just to punish me. What's wrong with him, Levi? How long is he going to keep this up? A year? Two? Ten? Or will he only forgive me after I'm dead? He's your son. He learned everything from you. He's always wanted to be like you. Tell him how wrong he's being. I don't know how you're supposed to do that, but damn well do it. You used to say I should let you know when something's bothering me and you'd make it right. Well, this is bothering me, so make it right. Fix this. You're his father. Knock some sense into his thick skull and drag him home by the ear if you have to."

Sybil ranted until she was all out of steam. A peaceful silence was her answer. She calmed herself, then went down to make coffee and start her day.

That day passed. The next day passed too, a sluggish winter sunrise soon becoming night. It was February 24th; Levi's birthday. He would have turned 56 today. Sybil's plans were to have an early night alone. By dusk, she'd already showered and was selecting a book to read until she drifted off.

She was taking the book to bed with her when the doorbell rang.

Usually, nobody rang her doorbell at this odd hour.

It could mean...

Sybil threw the book on the bed and grabbed her robe. She was belting it around her body even as she raced downstairs. Her fingers were quick as lightning as she undid the bolts and opened the front door.

And there at her doorstep was her firstborn, a weary smile on his face.

Sybil could only stare at that face. Stare, and stare. It had been six months. Her heart swelled, threatening to burst from her chest. She wanted to laugh. She wanted to cry. But she only kept staring at him.

Arlindo wasn't empty-handed. His suitcases were beside him. In his hand was a bouquet of bright yellow sunflowers. He held the flowers out to her, his weary smile widening. "I was hoping that if I brought you these, you could be bribed to let me in."

Sybil ignored the flowers. Her child was what mattered. She stepped out to him. His arms opened. So did hers. They held tight, swaying.

"God, I missed you, Mom."

"I really missed you too, Honey-Bean." Sybil kissed his cheeks, then eased away to get another good look at him.

"I'm sorry," he said, "That I wasn't home at Christmas. I know it can't have been easy for you and Izabela. It wasn't a walk in the park for me either."

Sybil smiled through her tears. "You're here now. It's all that matters." She studied his face. "You look tired."

"You look radiant."

It made her laugh; one of her rare belly laughs. She cherished those when they happened. "You're bribing me with sunflowers and showering me in flattery?"

"Whatever works." Arlindo grinned back, rubbing his hand over his eyes. "I really am beat, though. I've been on the road this last day-and-a-half. I started back late yesterday morning. When I realized what day it was, I had to head out quickly because I wanted to be back in time to take you out to dinner on Papai's birthday. I didn't want you by yourself today. Christmas was bad enough."

"Coming back today wasn't your plan all along?"

"No. It was just an added reason. I felt like I almost needed an excuse, because I should have been back sooner. I didn't mean to be away this long."

"You took the time you needed to process."

"I should have processed faster. I know that. Papai wouldn't approve of my ignoring you for six months, no matter the reason. He wouldn't want his wife treated that way." Arlindo paused thoughtfully, then he gave her another tired smile. "You think you could let me in? I'm looking to crash in my old room until I buy a house this summer. If you say yes, I'll give you these flowers and shower you in compliments for the next two weeks."

Sybil folded her arms. "Make it two months, with a minimum of four lavish compliments per day."

"Deal." Arlindo pulled her in for another hug.

Over her son's shoulder, Sybil scanned the winter sky. There was nothing but silver moonlight diffused through a film of clouds. Yet someone was watching.

"Thank you," she mouthed silently. "We'll chat at bedtime."

She knew he heard. And somewhere, in that moment, a little Presbyterian church bell tolled the evening hour.

**********

THE END

**********

  • COMMENTS
15 Comments
painkllrrrpainkllrrr7 months ago

Well done 5* - the only question I have is why Elizabeth took the photo in the 1st place and then was prodded into sharing the info with Milton (setting off the chain reaction) without even talking to Sybil?

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit8 months ago

That’s a really good story. I don’t understand why she wouldn’t explain Ken’s actions as rape. The way he quit the firm supports the rape explanation, Milton would have remembered. The family would have understood her rationale if she’d used that path and it would have been easier on Arlindo, Izabela, and Elizabeth (who must have tortured herself over how it played-out).

I liked how you worked-in Levi’s (and his family’s) Portuguese heritage. The segments in Portuguese language definitely supported the family dynamic and personalities. That said, despite knowing many Portuguese people at different points in my life, I don’t understand the language. Some were easy to guess based on context, but for the longer passages, I copy/paste those segments into translate.google.com. It’d be easy to suggest using parenthesized English translations after the Portuguese, but i think that would detract from the tone. No easy answers.

leofric35leofric35about 1 year ago

Each story you have put on here is full of quality writing. Great characters that really come to life. I still like His North Star the best but it is so difficult to pick just one. As has been said your writing is by far some of the best on this site. It is such a pleasure to find something that isn’t just cheating revenge and BTB in this category. Thanks you for your hard work. I am keeping the latest story for a while because I want to space out the enjoyment - well done

Shepard_N7Shepard_N7about 1 year ago

Well done. Thank you for this.

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikerabout 1 year ago

Another great story from P&S which I found difficult to put down. Perhaps not quite as good as ‘His North Star’ but still head and shoulders above the herd on Literotica. I liked the Portuguese dialogue which I translated in Google. I loved the elapsed time, the rounded characters, the locations and the little touches like the snake portrait. What happened to Sybil after 1977? She could still be alive today although now an elderly matriarch. 5 stars but worthy of 10. Thanks for sharing and I hope to read more of your work. You are a very gifted author.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

As You Wish After death, love lives on.in Romance
Sullivan and the Lies He Heard He heard her cheating. She denied it. What next?in Loving Wives
She's Cheating on You Can your ex be your best friend?in Loving Wives
I'm 51 You're never too old to start again.in Loving Wives
You Can Go Home Again She destroyed his life. Can she build it back again?in Loving Wives
More Stories