Boomerang

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey girls," Fairleigh called out from behind.

Through the screams, hugs, and pictures, Braden noticed she was dressed in yoga pants and a t-shirt. He smiled at a memory of her dressed similarly and giving him a lap dance before a blowjob on his couch.

She saw the smile on his face and was glad he wasn't as grumpy as the day before.

Fairleigh said, "Girls, girls, girls, let's have Cassidy's dad take a picture of us so I can remember you all."

He nodded and gladly took several pictures with his phone and continued taking pictures of them, for their parents, as they talked.

He was surprised Fairleigh was able to give them so much time and attention. She listened to everything, answered every question, smiled in every selfie, and somehow found the time to smile at Braden every once in a while.

After a few minutes, a man told her it was time to get ready. She looked genuinely sad and hugged each of the girls goodbye, making sure to use each of their names. Those girls would cherish that memory for the rest of their lives.

She walked up to Braden and looked back at the group of girls watching. He didn't expect it when she kissed him again, making the girls giggle and tease him.

"Have breakfast with me tomorrow?" she asked after breaking the kiss.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Fairleigh."

She cupped his cheek and said, "Braden, I'm as serious as a heart attack. I'm not letting you go again."

"Fairleigh," he sighed, but she put a finger on his lips to silence him.

"Pick me up at my mom's house at seven. If you need a babysitter, my mom will be happy to watch her."

"I'm a package deal, Fairleigh. Do you think my daughter will be happy being left out of breakfast with you?"

"Of course. I'm sorry, Braden. She's more than welcome, but we have to talk alone at some point."

He nodded, "Yeah, I expect so."

"Fairleigh, time!" her stage manager shouted.

Braden said, "I'll let you go now."

She smiled and said, "I've got a surprise for you during the seventh song. See you soon."

She hurried away and while he herded the girls towards their seats, he wondered what the surprise would be.

*****

"Whew!" Fairleigh yelled into the microphone. "I love that one, but I love this next one even more."

She walked to the front of the stage and at that time, a shocked Braden and happy Cassidy were led down to the stage.

Pictures started playing on the jumbo screens of her and Braden as the band played the beginning of her first hit.

She said, "When I won that talent show, all those years ago, I had a wonderful boyfriend. That's him up there."

The crowd cheered.

She smiled and said, "After I won, I got too caught up in what was going on. He saw what was happening and that sweet man, the only man I've ever loved, told me he was setting me free."

The crowd booed.

"No, no, no," she said, angry with the crowd. "He made a sacrifice knowing my dream was to be a singer. He set me free to reach my dreams, and I did it."

The crowd cheered loudly.

"I've got that man and his beautiful daughter here with us tonight. Braden and Cassidy, come on out here and say hi to everybody."

The crowd roared and while Braden didn't want to go, Cassidy dragged him to the front of the stage where Fairleigh hugged the little girl.

She smiled at Braden, then kissed his cheek.

"Cassidy, do you know the words to my song, 'Thank You For Your Love?"

She nodded happily.

"Well, that song is about your daddy. Would you like to sing it with me?"

Cassidy screamed, while the crowd cheered again. Braden had no idea what to do.

Suddenly, three stools were brought out to them, along with a microphone for Cassidy, and an acoustic guitar for Fairleigh.

Fairleigh joined the band strumming chords and began to sing. After the verse was over, she nodded to Cassidy to sing along. Braden couldn't help but shed a tear as his daughter sang the chorus in which Fairleigh told the world she'd never stop loving him.

The camera caught him at that moment, and the crowd thought he was crying for Fairleigh. They erupted in cheers again, and Fairleigh smiled when she saw the screen.

When the song ended, Cassidy and Fairleigh sang out the last notes and to Fairleigh's surprise, Cassidy sang with her in perfect harmony.

The crowd cheered so loudly for the little girl, the building felt as if it were shaking. Cassidy cried when Fairleigh hugged her and thanked her for singing with her.

Fairleigh lifted her hand up and led her into a bow, which the crowd ate up. Braden tried to walk off the stage, but Fairleigh yelled, "No way, mister. You get back here."

He turned, and in a flash Fairleigh pulled him into a hug. She whispered, "Hug me like you mean it, or I'm gonna kiss you in front of this crowd."

She felt his arms tighten around her and basked in his warmth.

"Cassidy and Braden, everyone! Give 'em one more show of love."

The crowd cheered again as Braden and Cassidy were led off stage.

"Oh, my God! Daddy, I got to sing. Did you hear them cheer for me?" Then she screamed and it echoed loudly in the cement halls.

"Yes, you were amazing, pumpkin."

"Why didn't you kiss her, Daddy? I think she wanted you to."

He laughed, "I know she did, but it wasn't the right time for that."

When they got back to the box, Cassidy was swarmed by her friends and the squeals and shrieks almost drowned out the concert.

Braden wondered what he was doing getting mixed up with Fairleigh while she was still on top of the world.

*****

The next morning, Braden sat in his car debating on going back home and blowing off Fairleigh. Cassidy interrupted his indecision.

"Daddy, are we going inside or not?"

"I haven't decided yet, pumpkin."

"Who lives here?"

He hadn't told her they were having breakfast with Fairleigh. He didn't want to disappoint her if he changed his mind.

"My momma," Fairleigh said as she opened the door and sat in the passenger seat. "Good morning, all. I didn't think you were gonna come in, so I made up my mind for you."

"Hi, Fairleigh. Daddy didn't tell me we were seeing you today."

She laughed, "He didn't, huh? Hm, why wouldn't you tell your precious daughter we had a breakfast date?"

"Honestly, I've thought about cancelling all morning and didn't want to disappoint her."

Fairleigh rolled her eyes.

"Okay, mister. You just get us to IHOP stat, so I can get some pancakes in me. Cassidy, do you know I have to be on a strict diet all of the time and don't get to eat pancakes? Let me tell you, it stinks."

"Why?" the young girl asked.

"Because I'm getting older and if I eat too many carbs, my hips will be too big to fit in my skimpy stage outfits."

The girls giggled and it was Braden's turn to roll his eyes.

When they were shown to their table, Fairleigh nodded to Cassidy to sit across from her father in the booth, and the ten-year-old smiled and nodded in agreement. Then Fairleigh slid in next to Braden, so close, their shoulders touched.

Fairleigh wore her hair in a ponytail, a baseball cap, and a t-shirt and shorts. Without makeup and her hair down, she could fit into any crowd without being noticed unless someone was looking for her. She loved having that little bit of freedom in the rare times she went out.

"I was sorry to hear about your wife, Braden. I sent flowers but thought it would be best if I stayed away. I didn't want to cause a scene."

"Thanks. It's been tough, but we're making it through. Your people picked out lovely flowers."

"Not my people--me. I picked them out and sent them myself. I also sent money to the charity you listed. My mom told me your wife was a good woman and I wanted to help."

"Mommy was the best, and I miss her a lot," Cassidy interrupted.

"I'm sorry you lost your mom, sweetie. Life is really unfair sometimes."

She looked at Braden when she said it. He shrugged and continued looking at the menu.

After ordering her meal, and before Braden ordered, Fairleigh said, "Cassidy, your daddy and I ate here all the time when we were going out. He always ordered country fried steak and over easy eggs. Sometimes if he was really hungry, he'd order corned beef hash too."

"He still does," she smiled. "He never has anything different."

"if it's good, why change?" He answered with a grin.

"There's lots of good stuff you're missing out on," Cassidy said.

Fairleigh put her hand on his thigh and squeezed, "I know the feeling."

He took her hand off of his thigh and said, "Behave, please."

She was disappointed yet understood she should behave with Cassidy there. She also realized she was coming on too strong too fast. It wasn't the old days. She had a lot of work to do to get her man back.

"Fairleigh," Cassidy asked. "Daddy told me not to pester you with questions about being famous, but he didn't say I couldn't ask you about you and him. I guess you were boyfriend and girlfriend?"

Braden said, "Cassidy, leave her alone."

"Nope, it's okay. Yes, your dad and I dated for a few years before I won the talent show."

"Why did you break up?"

Fairleigh took Braden's hand and said, "Your dad knew my dream was to be a famous singer. When I got the opportunity to go for it, he let me go so I could make my dream come true."

"You mean he dumped you?"

Fairleigh laughed, "Yeah, he dumped me, but in a nice way."

"Do you still love him?"

Fairleigh looked her in the eyes and said, "With every beat of my heart and every breath I breathe. I haven't loved anyone except him since."

"Why not?"

She sat back and sipped her coffee before saying, "Well, for the first year I hoped we would get back together. That didn't happen though. He met your mom and fell in love with her."

Cassidy frowned and said, "That's so sad for you."

"It was at first, but my mom kept me in the loop on what was going on in your dad's life. She told me he was happy with a wonderful woman, then you came along, and the rest is history. I was happy that your dad was happy."

"I guess if you stayed together, I wouldn't have been born, so that's good then."

They laughed at that, then their food came, and conversation switched to teasing Braden about his steak.

After breakfast, Cassidy began peppering Fairleigh with all of the questions she wanted to ask her about being famous and singing. Braden tried to put a stop to it, but Fairleigh let her ask. She enjoyed being interviewed by the young girl.

When they got in the car, Fairleigh asked, "Can we have our talk at your house, Braden?"

"Yeah!" Cassidy yelled. "I can show you my bedroom. Wait until you see my posters of you. Ooh, will you sign them?"

Fairleigh laughed, "Sure. What does your dad think of my posters being on your walls?"

"He never said no."

Fairleigh smiled and teased Braden, "Did you want to keep a little part of me around, big guy?"

He looked at her with more than a little annoyance and said, "No. If you had children, you'd know that if your little girl wants a poster of her favorite singer on her wall, you let her have it. If you want to know the truth, I hardly ever go into her room. Too much pink."

Fairleigh worried that he was hurt more than he let on.

*****

After Cassidy gave Fairleigh a half-hour tour of her bedroom and got everything related to Fairleigh autographed, Braden offered Fairleigh a seat in his four seasons room.

"There's some seltzer there, if you're thirsty," he said as she sat.

"Thanks. I see some things don't change. You always did like your lemon seltzer water."

He nodded and looked over her shoulder at his pool deck, feeling apprehensive about the coming conversation.

"Braden, I know I'm coming on strong..."

"That's an understatement."

She frowned, "I won't apologize for it. I made a mistake giving up on you once, and I'm not doing it again."

"You didn't give me up--I let you go."

"I know, and I love you all the more for it, but things are different now. I got everything I ever wanted except you, and none of it matters without you."

He shook his head, "What's different now, Fairleigh? You know what? It's worse now. Now, you're one of the biggest pop stars in the world. How can we have a normal relationship? Hell, I come with a pre-made family. How can you be a mother while you're circling the globe on sell out tours?"

"I'm retiring."

He laughed.

"I'm serious. My contract is up in six months and I'm not signing a new one."

"Why not? Surely, you'd be giving up millions of dollars."

"I already have millions of dollars. What I don't have is fulfillment. I don't have happiness. I don't have a family."

Braden stood and paced.

"Do you still love me like I love you?" she asked.

He wondered if he did.

Of course, he still had feelings for her, she never fully left his heart. He was surprised at the apparent depth of her feelings for him, however.

In his mind, she was forbidden fruit. She was a star to be gazed upon, not held. He wondered how she'd changed over the years. She was always confident and beautiful, but was she still the sweet, caring woman she once was?

She stood and hugged him from behind.

"Don't think about it, Braden. Answer with your heart, not your head."

"I don't know what I feel, Fairleigh. I do love you; I always have--but is it the kind of love you're looking for, or is it the love of what we had?"

"Can we try and build on that? I'm not asking you to marry me tomorrow. I'm not even asking you to commit to me as a boyfriend yet. Can't we try to start from here?"

"I won't consider it while you're still touring and recording. I can't do that to Cassidy."

She smiled. She knew she had him back, and it was only a matter of time before they were together forever.

"I'm leaving this afternoon to go to Milwaukee. From there, I'm finishing the last leg of my tour which will end in four months. After that, I'm recording a farewell album for which I will not tour. No one knows it will be my farewell yet so don't tell anyone."

He made a zip his lips motion, and she took his hands in hers.

She said, "I swear on my soul, I love you as much today as I did when you let me go all those years ago."

Just then Cassidy burst into the room, "Dad! We're on TV!"

"What?" he shouted.

"They are talking about us at the concert. Come see. I paused it."

They hurried into the living room and Cassidy rewound the DVR to the start of the segment.

"And in local concert news, pop star Fairleigh brought a couple of special fans onstage last night."

They showed a clip of the video screen showing Braden and Fairleigh when they were young and in love, then a clip of Cassidy singing played.

"It seems that the father of that girl was an old flame of the pop star and the subject of her first hit."

The cohost said, "Did you see the look in Fairleigh's eyes when she looked at him. I'd say someone's still harboring feelings for her old love."

There was more banter about them, and Braden slunk down into the couch.

He sighed, "I'm never going to hear the end of this."

"Do you think my friends saw?" Cassidy shrieked then ran off to start calling her friends.

Fairleigh laughed, "Sweetie, I'm always going to be famous. When we start seeing each other, you're going to be famous too."

"Oh, God," he groaned. He began to have second thoughts about everything.

*****

For several months after that weekend, Braden watched the coverage of Fairleigh's retirement from the music business. The tickets for her last months of shows sold for thousands of dollars over face value and her loyal fans were boxed out by the rich and famous who just wanted to be seen at her last shows.

Pundits on television called her every synonym for stupid there was. She had turned down potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to step away from the music business, and they thought she was a fool.

Fairleigh changed the business when she convinced her concert promoters to agree to not accept tickets that were transferred in order to stop the resale of her tickets for exorbitant amounts. Any tickets that weren't yet sold for her final shows were prohibited from being sold to non-verifiable individuals using personal funds. She did this by threatening to breach her contracts to perform and she'd pay the penalties. She hoped her threats would work, and they wouldn't sue her, but she was prepared to go to court and use her soap box to show how she was fighting for her fans.

The situation wore on her, and she fell into a mild depression. She desperately needed to see Braden and begged him to join her on the road for the last month of her tour.

When he told her he had to work, she paid off his mortgage and all of his other bills. When he told her he couldn't leave Cassidy, the mothers intervened and offered their babysitting services. She countered everything he threw at her. Finally, he agreed.

He took a leave of absence for a month to join her on tour. He would only do it if he could be home every weekend to be with Cassidy.

He looked at the time and said, "Screw it. Joe, I'm leaving now."

"Good for you," his boss shouted back. "Go get her, Man. We're all rooting for you."

Braden smiled and pulled up his ticket information. It was easy to transfer the first-class ticket to a flight leaving that afternoon, and he felt anxious. He was finally going to see her again.

After she left him to resume her tour, he felt a sense of loss. He'd barely got to know her again and she was gone. He still wondered how he got sucked up in Fairleigh's whirling dervish of a life.

*****

He walked into the lobby of the hotel and found Kelly, Fairleigh's assistant, drinking Starbucks.

"Boo!" he teased from behind.

"Jesus Christ, you scared the shit out of me. What are you doing here? You're supposed to join us in Boston."

"I got bored. Is she in her room?"

"Yeah, here. Take my key, she's on the top floor. Use the elevator on the right, over there."

"Thanks," he said and ordered a latte.

The elevator opened right into the foyer of the suite. He walked in and heard moaning coming from a room on the right.

"That's the spot, Marcus. My God! You're so good. Harder, do it harder."

Braden walked as if he were headed to the electric chair, and when he entered the room, Fairleigh screamed.

"Braden!"

She jumped down from the massage table and the towel fell off her naked oiled-up body. Marcus shook his head and smiled as he picked up the towel. It wasn't the first time a boyfriend or husband walked in hearing the moans that sounded like he performed more than massage services.

"You should have told me. I'd have sent a car to pick you up."

She squeezed him tighter and kissed him deeply.

"God, I've missed you so much, Braden."

"You should put some clothes on," he said.

She stepped back and twirled around.

"Don't you like what you see?" she asked.

Marcus said, "Thanks for the business, Fairleigh."

Braden didn't like his smirk. He also didn't like the fact that he had his hands on Fairleigh. He glared at the larger man as he walked to the elevator.

"Don't be jealous, Sweetie," she said as she turned his head to look at her instead of the masseuse.

"I'm not jealous."

Fairleigh laughed.

"Oh, Honey, you should see the look on your face. You want to kill that poor man."

"He smirked at me."

"So? He rubbed my body, but you, you get to have my body."

She spun and walked into the bathroom.

"I'm gonna take a shower. Wanna join me?"

"We're not there yet, Fairleigh."

She laughed and moved to the doorway.

"Oh, Braden, where do we need to be for you to come and make love to me?"

"We should at least have dinner together first."

He smiled and she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Give me a half-hour. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic and will deliver up here. You probably want to avoid being seen with me for a while."