Breakdown

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rain, you can't let those girls go today," she said. "I'm going to walk to work, but you come and get me as soon as I get off, okay? We have to help them, Rain. That little girl is precious! So is her mother. I stayed and they talked to me for an hour last night. They've had a rough time. They just need a break. Make them stay, Rain, or I'm never going to speak to you again!"

He chuckled. "I'll do my best, but I can't just MAKE them stay, Sis. I'll do my best. Call me when you want me to come get you."

When he was human, after a shower and a cup of coffee, he went down and got in the truck. When he opened the garage door, the wind and snow came whistling in. Rain could hardly see to drive, but he crept along about 30, stopping at the parts store and the donut shop on the way to the garage. When he got there, the lights were on and he could hear the shower running upstairs. He could smell coffee, but he didn't go up. He started on the car, and evidently, made enough noise that they heard him. He was reaching for the wire crimpers behind him, just feeling around, and he felt a tiny little hand put them in his big hand. He turned his head and Malley was standing behind him.

"Good morning, Rain," she said. "Are you fixing our car?"

He stopped and sat down at the bench, cleaning his hands and they talked. "Hi, sweetheart," he said. "Yeah, I didn't know if you girls were ready for company, so I just got started."

"Mama is washing her hair," she said.

"Do you like doughnuts?' he asked.

That curly little head bobbed and she looked hopefully over at the box. "Let's take them upstairs and see if your mom wants one, okay?"

She nodded again, and when he picked up the box and started toward the stairs, she tucked that tiny little hand in his and walked beside him. He stopped when they got to the stairs. "These are too narrow for us to go up holding hands," he said. "Do you think I could hold you and carry you up?"

"Yes, I think you can," she said. "You're really big, Rain."

He scooped her up and she giggled all the way. She didn't feel like she weighed 50 pounds.

Tabora was fluffing up her hair with a towel and it was just a big mop of glossy curls.

"Good morning, beautiful," Rain said. He gave her a wink and she smiled.

"Hi, Rain," she said. "Whatcha got in that box?"

"Sugary goodness," he said. "I've got just plain doughnuts, that's what I like, I've got some with vanilla custard inside, raspberry jam, and some chocolate ones, with sprinkles."

Malley came over to look at the selection. She liked the ones with sprinkles, and she got one of those and one of the ones with the raspberry jam. Rain had brought her a bottle of chocolate milk, and she snuggled Mama on the sofa while she ate and drank her milk.

Tabora decided she wanted the vanilla custard-filled variety, and she and Rain drank coffee.

"I got the parts," Rain told her. "There's another issue, though, Tabora."

"What is it?" There was some alarm in those huge brown eyes. "Did they not have something? Do you need money to get something?"

"No, we'll have the car ready to go in a couple of hours," he said. "The problem is outside. When we finish our doughnuts, I'll take you and show you. There aren't any windows in here."

Tabora was concerned, but Rain didn't seem to be too worried, so she relaxed and ate the doughnut and thought about her situation. She was headed for California, but she wasn't sure where, exactly, just that she was going to put as much distance as possible between her and Malley, and Joey.

She had another doughnut, and they finished their coffee. Rain carried Malley down the steps and took them to the small door at the front of the shop. When he opened the door, a blast of freezing air, swirling snow and the howl of the wind took their breath away. Tabora shivered, instantly, and Malley shrunk into Rain's arms. He shut the door and the warmth of the shop was back.

"There's the problem," Rain explained. "There's a blizzard out there. I'm sorry, Tabora, but you aren't going anywhere in that. I could barely make it here, and I have a truck, crept along and my windshield was still building up ice and snow when I got here."

"Oh, no!" Tabora's dismay was obvious. "What are we going to do? How long will this last?"

"I'm sorry, but I really have no idea," he said. "I haven't checked the forecast. There's probably six or eight inches of snow out there, already, so even if it stops snowing soon, the roads will be a mess."

"Mama, I don't want to go in the snow," Malley said.

Tabora rubbed her daughter's back, soothingly. "I know, baby. We won't go in the snow, okay?" Malley's curls bobbed as she nodded.

"How soon do you need to be where you're going, and do you mind telling me where you're going?" Rain asked.

That was something that Tabora was not prepared to do. She looked up at him fearfully and he saw the pain in her eyes. He quickly pulled her into a joint hug with him and Malley.

"It's okay," he said. "Don't worry about it. You can stay here as long as you like. It's okay, I promise."

Tabora felt very safe in that embrace, but she had felt safe before, only to discover that her trust was misplaced and betrayed. She was fleeing from one monster and had no intention of putting herself in a position to be betrayed again.

"Rain, I... I just..."

"It's okay, I promise," he assured her. "I just need to know if you have some deadline to meet. Do you have to be somewhere by a certain time? If not, the weather isn't a problem, you know?"

She shook her head and all those curls flowed like a river across his chest. "No, we don't have to be anywhere on a schedule."

"Good, then you can just stay here and we'll wait out the storm," he said. He decided to cheat. "That sound good to you, baby girl?" he asked Malley.

"Yes, I like it here," Malley said. "We need to stay with Rain, Mama," she said. "Will Barrett come back, Rain?"

"How could she stay away from you?" he asked. "No one in their right mind would miss out on spending time with you."

She looked at him with serious eyes and kissed his cheek. "No, I guess they couldn't." She dimpled up with a smile and laughed along with him.

Tabora was not quite so sure as Malley, but she did feel that they were much better off inside, warm and dry, than they would be trying to drive through the blizzard. She really had no specific destination in mind, anyway, other than California. Any time spent on the way just gave her more time to think about what she was going to do, once they arrived.

She told Rain she needed to use the phone to call Barrett, so he set Malley down and the two went back up the stairs.

Rain installed the new alternator. He had to alter the bracket, and it took him some time to do that. He'd also bought new belts, and he installed them, as well. By the time he finished, it was late afternoon and he began to think about dinner. He headed upstairs to ask his guests about that. He knocked on the door, and Malley opened it, throwing herself on his leg and hugging it.

"Hey, baby," he said. "Rain is going to the store to get something for dinner. Do you and Mom like spaghetti?"

They did. Malley turned to her mother. "Mama, may I go to the store with Rain?"

Tabora was plainly not comfortable with this idea. "Do you need something at the store, honey?"

Malley shook her head, curls swirling. "No, I just like being with Rain."

"Why don't all three of us go?" Rain tried to find some way to make it comfortable. His throat was a little choked up by the idea of Malley just wanting to be with him and it made him need to clear it.

Tabora heard that catch in his voice and sought his eyes. She saw how touched he was, immediately, and felt a little apprehensive, but in a good way. "No, I'll just stay and start some water boiling. You can go, honey."

Malley did a little dance step. "Thank you, Mama."

Rain went down to warm up the truck, and when it was toasty, he went back up. Malley was ready, but Rain felt a bit uncomfortable about her not having a coat. He decided to do something about that.

There was a Sears store on the way to the grocery, and he made a quick stop. "Is this the store?" Malley asked as they pulled up.

"No, baby-doll," Rain said. "They sell coats here. It's cold as... very cold and snowy, and you need a coat. Let's run in there and get you one, okay?"

Malley thought for a moment. "Yes, Rain. What color will it be?"

He laughed. "I don't know what colors they have. What color would you like for it to be?"

She thought for a minute. "I like pink," she said.

"Of course you do. We'll see if they have a pink one, okay? You won't be disappointed if they don't have one, will you?"

"Well, yes, but it's okay," she confided.

Rain laughed, got out and held out his arms. She climbed across the seat and he wrapped her inside his coat, trotting toward the store hunched over like a turtle, he thought, sheltering her from the wind and the swirling snow.

He set her down inside, and she tucked her little brown hand into his, walking beside him as he walked awkwardly beside her, having to bend to reach her hand. They found the children's section, and Malley was disappointed to find that the only pink coats they had were too small for her. Her little face lit up, though, when she found a black one with pink bunnies on it, and declared herself happy with that.

Rain paid for it, they removed the tags and he zipped her up. She caught sight of herself in a full-length mirror on the way out and did another little dance. "I can't wait to show Mama," she said. "And Barrett. Is Barret coming over?"

"Yes. Thanks for reminding me, baby-doll. We'll swing by and pick her up on the way back, okay?"

Malley was good with that plan, and they made their stop at the grocery, swung by the pharmacy and went inside to get Barrett. She was behind the window in her white coat, looking up over her glasses as the bell rang with the opening of the door. Malley spotted her and waved excitedly. Barrett came out of the drug room and Malley ran to her, throwing herself into a hug and kissing her cheek.

"Look, Barrett," she danced back so Barrett could see. "I got a new coat! Do you like it? Do I look pretty?"

Barrett snatched her up and squeezed her. "It's adorable," she said. "So are you. You would make rags look beautiful, Malley."

Malley peeked at Rain. "I'm 'dorable," she said.

Rain laughed, removing her from Barrett's arms and shifting her around to his hip. "Yes, you are. You ready to go, Sis? We're having spaghetti."

Barrett closed the store and they drove slowly back through the snow to the garage. Tabora was waiting for them on the landing at the top of the stairs, somewhat worried about the length of time they'd been gone, fearing something with the weather had happened. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Malley between Rain and Barret, all safe and sound.

Malley could hardly contain herself as she scrambled out after Rain. "Look, Mama! We got me a coat!" she called up excitedly. "It has bunnies!"

She mounted the stairs as quickly as he could and hugged her mother. "Yes, I see," Tabora knelt to admire the coat. "It's very nice and looks warm, baby."

"Oh, it is warm," Malley said. "Rain let me pick it out."

Tabora shot Rain a look. "You go on inside," she told Malley. "Rain, could I speak with you for a minute?"

Malley and Barret went inside the apartment and Tabora and Rain stayed on the landing. She hugged him, looking up at him with those huge brown eyes. "Thank you, Rain," she said. "I don't want you to think I'm not grateful. For everything you're doing for us, but I want to know how much you spent on Malley's coat, and the car, too. I told you I have money and I'll pay you for everything."

Rain saw only honesty in her eyes. "I'll tell you how much the car parts cost," he said. "Malley's coat is a gift from me, to her. I know you're her Mom, but she's a little person in her own right, and I got it for her because I wanted to and she needed it. Is that okay?"

Tabora buried her face in his coat and hugged him. "Yes, thank you, Rain," he heard her soft voice. They went inside and the smell of garlic bread filled the small apartment. They ate dinner, just talking about general things until Barrett told them she had some news.

"I think you'll like this, Tabora," she said. "I need to know a couple of things, though, and I think you need to tell Rain about how you got here, and why."

A look of panic crossed Tabora's face, and she started to get up from the table. Barrett beat her to her feet and quickly pushed her back into her chair. She put her arm around the smaller woman, pulling Tabora's head against her shoulder. "Trust me, Tabora. Please. Rain is my big brother. I know him. He won't judge you, he won't hate you, he won't be mad at you. Trust me, I know. Please?"

Tabora looked at her with wide doubt-filled eyes. "Okay," she half-whispered.

"Mama?" Malley was concerned.

"It's okay, baby," Tabora reassured her. Why don't you and Barrett see what's on TV and Mama will talk to Rain, okay?"

Malley agreed, and she and Barrett were soon engrossed in a show. Tabora was at a loss as to where to begin. She did trust Rain, but some of what she needed to tell him was very embarrassing and she felt like he would be disappointed in her. For some reason, she desperately did not want that. She would need to think about why later.

Rain sensed her reluctance. "Just do it, Tabora," he said. "I promise it's going to be okay. Malley said you were running away. What are you running from?"

Tabora sighed. "Her father," she said. "We're running from her father."

"What's wrong with him?" Rain asked. "Why would you need to do that?"

Tabora sighed again, and the words came tumbling out. She had not been aware that she needed to tell someone so badly, to tell Rain, for some reason, to have him understand her, understand the mess she had made of her life.

"His name is Joey," she said. "I met him in college. He was a football player. I was an education major, and I was in some classes with him. He was so popular, Rain. He was very good looking, and he could be very charming when he wanted to be."

Rain leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table and watching her. "How old were you?" he asked.

"I was 21," she said. "I was young and dumb, Rain. I'm still kind of young and dumb, but smarter than I was then."

Barrett joined them at the table. "She's asleep," she said, nodding at Malley. "Trust me, Tabora. We're all young and dumb at some point. You probably wouldn't believe the things I did at college. I was a terrible trial to Rain. What about your parents, Tabora? Are they around?"

"I never knew my father," Tabora said. "Mom told me about him and I've seen a few pictures. He was a white guy she met at the factory. He got her pregnant and moved on."

"I'm so sorry," Rain said. "He must have been a real asshole."

"Who knows," Tabora said. "Mom wasn't much of a mother, either. She's still around, but she's a drunk, and I haven't spoken to her since before Malley was born. I didn't want Malley around her."

Barrett took one of Tabora's slender brown hands in hers. "So, what happened with Joey?" she asked.

"I fell in love with him," Tabora said. "At least I thought I was in love with him. I know now that I was just crushing on him because he seemed so impressive. It was all hollow. I didn't find that out until later. A month before I graduated, I found out I was pregnant. I didn't mean for that to happen. I never meant to... sleep with him, at all. We went to this party and we were all high. There was a lot of weed around and I dropped a tab of acid." She looked nervously at Rain.

"We were all doing it," he said calmly. "Especially Barrett!" He grinned at his sister who blushed.

"Young and dumb," she said.

"Well, I was tripping pretty good," Tabora said. "It just seemed like such a beautiful thing, and I just did it. After that, we... did it all the time. I wasn't very smart, and I got pregnant."

"Did you get married?" Rain asked.

"No, that's one dumb thing I didn't do," Tabora said. "I was beginning to see the cracks in Joey's persona, by then. He was all about the flash. Things got bad between us. We were living together, by then. I had my first teaching job, but he'd flunked out of college and he couldn't keep a job."

She was becoming more agitated, and Barrett moved her chair around until she could put her arm around Tabora's shoulders. "Stay strong," she said.

Tabora nodded and brushed a tear from one cheek. "He... he started hitting me. He... like... enjoyed hurting me. He hurt me... sexually. I guess it made him feel powerful." She looked fearfully at Rain. "I didn't want that, Rain. You have to believe me!"

He nodded. "I know," he said calmly. "I can't imagine how that made you feel."

"It just made me feel dirty and ashamed." A sob escaped Tabora, and Barrett squeezed her. "What happened?"

"He started... doing things, nasty things, to me, in front of his friends. Showing me to them. Telling them I was his whore. He... he..." she broke down, unable to continue.

Rain was unable to contain himself. He had been growing angrier by the moment. How could anyone, any man, hurt this little brown angel? He leaped to his feet, moved around the table, picked up the sobbing girl in his arms, indicated that Barret should follow them with his head and carried her into the bedroom. He laid her down, lying on one side of her while Barret laid on the other.

They sandwiched her between them, holding her as she sobbed out her shame and misery. "Finish the story," he told her gently. "Get it out. Tell us."

Her voice broke as she spoke, but she managed to tell them. "He... he wanted me to let them do things to me. Fuck me. He was going to make them pay, turn me into a whore. I couldn't. I knew that would destroy me. He beat me up, put me in the hospital. I was too afraid to tell the police. He had Malley. He was selling drugs, and I was afraid."

Rain pulled her over until her cheek was on his chest, her mop of curls tickling his chin, and Barrett spooned her from the other side. "What did you do?" Barrett asked.

"When I got out of the hospital, I knew I had to do something," she said. "I waited until he went out with some of his boys, took his money and his gun, put Malley in the car and started driving. You know the rest."

"Where are you going?" Barrett asked.

"I don't have anywhere to go." It came out in a sob of quiet desperation. "I was just getting away. As far away from him as I could be. I was going to California, try to start over. Just be safe and keep Malley safe."

Barrett pulled her off Rain and kissed her cheek. "Remember I told you I had some news?" she said. "Listen to me, Tabora. You do have somewhere to go. You're here. This is a safe place. I talked to Father Peter at the pharmacy, today. St. Paul's is looking for a first-grade teacher. I told him about you. He wants to talk to you. Does it have to be California?"

Tabora looked at Barrett and burst into hysterical sobbing. Both siblings were stunned and could only hug the sobbing form between them.

Barrett petted the mop of curls, trying to calm her. "What's wrong, honey?" she asked. "I thought that was good news!"

When she could speak again, Tabora nodded. "It is. It's very good news, and I'm so thankful, Barrett. I'm just... I never dreamed... I love you guys so much. You're being so nice to us. It's just... white people have never been very nice to me and I never dreamed..."

"Being nice doesn't have anything to do with white or black," Rain growled. "I hate that shit. You're a person. We're people. Malley is a person. Good God, Tabora, she's the sweetest little person I've ever met! How could we not be 'nice'? So are you. I'm planning to be 'nice' to you both for a long time, so get used to it, okay?"