Breaking the Rules Pt. 21

Story Info
Nuru comes home, and his dream girls follow. Or is it haunt?
10.3k words
4.76
3.1k
2
0

Part 21 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 03/26/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Breaking the Rules takes place in an RPG universe, and is the sequel to Bending the Rules. To understand the characters and how the world works, please start from Part 1 of either series. Not based on any particular gaming franchise or storyline, but there may be guest appearances.

Back to a two-week release schedule! Don't spare your health potions, it's about to get even wilder.

*****

The moment had cooled just slightly since they'd woken next to each other, though Zula's face was still a bit flushed. Nuru wasn't sure if the wetness on his pants had been from him - or from her.

"How long can you stay with me?" Nuru said as they got deeper into the trees.

"Unfortunately, once you officially reach your first destination, I have to return. My standing orders require me to report on the events of the day."

"Can't even stay to chat? Make a new friend?"

"I'm afraid I'm really stretching my limits as it is."

"Heh. I'll stretch your..." he winked.

"Quiet, you," Zula pointed an accusing finger and glared fiercely at him, with no menace.

ROWF

"That's right, Mister Teenybear! I know your type, scoundrel, and so does he."

"Not until you've experienced me first-hand, you don't," Nuru chuckled.

"Is that first hand where you want me to give you a break?" Zula shot back. "Or would you prefer not to walk for awhile?"

"Hey, you want an excuse for walking funny you just letmeknowohgoddon'tkillme!" Nuru said, breaking into a run as his syllables crashed together.

"You! Halt!" a voice called after the chasing couple. "Here, I've got him!"

Nuru turned to face the new voice, another paladin, and a shot of adrenaline bursting through his veins. "Shit! You called him, didn't you!"

"Not me, hold on, woah!" Zula called over. "I'm traveling with him, not dragging him back!"

"You... but..." the paladin said, coming to a thundering stop on his horse. "But he's needed! We're late for the ceremony!"

"Oh give it up, you can clearly see he escaped fair and square," Zula groused.

"Dammit. Gonna make me the bearer of bad news," the man grimaced.

"Yeah, yeah. You know shooting the messenger is against The Rules," Zula waved him away.

"When shall I be expecting you then?" the man said.

"No more than a week from now," Zula said cooly. "No, I'm not telling you where we're going. Now scat."

"Yes ma'am."

"Doesn't he outrank you?" Nuru said after the man was far enough away not to hear them.

"Yeah but he doesn't stand a chance against my I'm-in-charge voice. I was born to be a leader, they say. Well, the ones that know what's good for them say it," she winked.

"Ha! Well we'd better be picking up the pace ourselves. Don't want them catching up with us, now that they know which way we've gone. I don't think 'fair and square' is going to be settled until I'm away for real."

"I'm open to ideas on how to pick it up for both of us, what with your cursed ring and all," Zula said, raising an eyebrow at him.

Nuru tore a scroll sheet of Weightless Foot from his spell book and handed it to her. "Race you to Sapphire City."

"What's this? How does it work?"

"Like this.!Kafa Mara Nauyi!"

He took off with a now-well-practiced light skip and dashed away. He cancelled it, and stopped to wait for her to catch up to give her more of them, but in moments she came flying by him holding onto Mister Teenybear, whose large form was pulling her at ludicrous speeds with a rope in his mouth. Nuru stopped for a moment, considering. Well, he had not only all the other Weightless Foot scrolls, but the original spell itself, too. He redoubled his efforts, using the spell when he could and using a scroll to fill the gap during cooldown. He quickly caught up and waved as he went by.

"Waaaaait! That was a practice run!" Zula called after him, dog back in her pack, poking its head out in his direction.

"Not my fault you wasted it!"

"Get back here or I'm breaking your foot!"

"Like you could break my foot if you couldn't catch up," he said dismissively.

He let the spell lapse, and stopped.

"You're a cheater," she puffed.

"It's not cheating if you never promised to commit," he quipped back.

She glared at him, and for a moment he thought he'd hurt her feelings.

"Uh... but seriously, you should know I'm not a virgin," he added.

"Woah, TMI dude," Zula said, smacking him on the arm.

"Hey, I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea."

"Nuru, you summoned a succubus. Why would I assume you're a virgin at this point?"

"I dunno..."

"It was in a temple of the High Faction gods, for fuck's sake!"

"Geez, OK. Look, she wasn't there in person."

"You get my point. I'm not dense like you men are, I can read between the lines. And I'm still here."

"Fine, just don't ever get mad when you incorrectly guess what I'm thinking because you assumed you already knew."

Zula snorted. "Gods above, is this what married couples sound like? It's not so bad, actually."

Nuru laughed.

*****

'You're invited to a special occasion. Meet me at Way Station. Nuru.'

He sent the message by courier at Sapphire City to Furaha at City of the Damned, and stayed only long enough to confirm its delivery. Now back on the road with Zula, he got to see her in direct daylight. She was even more beautiful than he remembered, and while he was sure it had partly to do with everything she'd done for him, she positively radiated health and positivity. She reminded him of Mesi, in a way - and a pang of eagerness put an extra spring in his step. He couldn't wait to introduce her... but could he? No, she had to leave as soon as he got there. Besides that, he wasn't sure what she'd think if he introduced her to his mostly-female friends. Some women got worked up about that kind of thing.

They continued on to Way Station, banter flowing easily between them and making the miles fly by quickly. Then, suddenly, they were past the little outpost, and back in lands that felt so familiar. Nuru had a sudden craving for his favorite fermented juice drink, and resolved to have some soon. He trudged to a stop, looking solemnly at the line on the ground where the Level Eleven+ Gate divided the no-mans-land from the greater Home Town area.

"So... this is it," he said.

"You don't have to do this, you know," she said. "I know it must be difficult to trust in your position. I'd be going out of my mind, I don't know how you function."

"Lots of sex," Nuru joked.

She looked over at him sadly. "And humor to cover up your fear. I'm afraid too, Nuru. They gave me their word, but there are so many lies out there. But what kind of world is it when truth means nothing? I want kids someday, I don't mind admitting. What kind of world would I be bringing them into if this were all a ruse?"

"Well, I'm open to suggestions."

"Shall we cross it together?" She held her hand out to him.

"I can't let you do that."

"What do you mean?"

"For me, it's a risk I may have to take some day. For you-"

"Oh, no. Don't you dare take this away from me."

"...huh?"

"Nuru, I've been working so hard on this, making deals, strong-arming my faction by putting my family's name on the line, arguing with a- Well. You can guess who I argued with, even if I'm not allowed to say it out loud, until I know the final terms of the agreement. Gods know they're trying to take the credit for this without me. But how do you think I'm going to feel if you cross that line, and I watch you cease to exist? I may not know who you really are yet, Nuru, but the image I have of you in my head keeps me getting up every day and trying my hardest. Because what is living if I don't have dreams of a better life waiting for me? How can I face another day if my faction has betrayed me and hung you out to dry? If this is all a sham, I want the dignity of a quick death, rather than the long sorrowful ache of a broken heart, and to waste away into just another cog in the machine. I'm coming with you Nuru, and we're sharing this fate, if it's the last thing I do."

"In that case... I'd like that." He smiled and took her hand, and she gripped him fiercely.

He took a deep breath, and stepped through the gate, noting the white haze that had been there after the Proclamation banishing him was gone. He looked around, thinking he heard a distant wail of an angry ghost, but saw nothing. He swallowed, turned around, and crossed it again. And again. Then somehow Zula was in his arms, feet swinging around him as he spun her in a circle. He put her back down, and kissed her. She leaned into it, grabbing him around the waist and squeezing him warmly, melting into his embrace. She sighed happily, and then stepped back, breaking the magic of the moment.

"Well, I guess I don't get first dibs on you in the next life after all," Zula said, eyes twinkling with unshed tears.

Nuru laughed. "I guess your work isn't done. How did you manage to convince them, anyway?"

"You have land here, still. The barrier was preventing you from going to your own home. It's a violation of the Freedom of Movement clause, based on historical precedent. It would have broken so much tradition if they'd upheld the ban. And I suggested that, despite your other vague violations, you hadn't really caused any injury. Any crime of yours has been essentially victimless, and they should consider your otherwise-unjust punishment so far to be payment enough to society, in light of the difficulties you set yourself up for."

"That's brilliant. Good work!"

"That won't buy you any leniency for anything you do in the future, though, and I don't know what my faction gave up for it; I know they'll hold that as a debt against you. Where will you go from here?" she said. "Will you stay awhile?"

"It's safe enough, you know," Nuru said. "You don't have to come with me."

"I know. I've enjoyed this time with you, though. Nuru..." She looked him in the eyes, solemn and heartfelt. "I remember what you said. About gaining our levels and finding each other again."

"To see if we were suited to each other," he nodded.

"What do you think? Could you ever see us together, now?"

"Faction politics aside-"

"I hate what they tried to do, Nuru. Please, if you remember anything about this meeting, understand that. Do you know you can't reach the higher skills and healing supplies if you don't join a faction, especially theirs? I want to help people, so I did it anyway..."

"I know you do. I've heard about the trap, and how they don't tell you this stuff before you take your class; one of those unwritten rules."

She took a deep breath, appearing for just the barest fraction of a second to be on the verge of tears. "...and I didn't know what else I would be supporting with the White Lily. This is one of those things my parents and I do not see eye-to-eye on. But think, this is where I'm needed. How else can you change the way that world works than from the inside? You fight a war on the front lines, kill monsters threatening our cities with quests at the latest Expansion zones. On the other hand, you fight corruption at the source - those back rooms where all those ugly decisions get made. Don't you think?"

"Sometimes, yeah. And sometimes, you outmaneuver the plot and you impose your own solution by whatever means. Or so I hear."

"In which case, it helps to know what you're counter-plotting against. I'm not asking you to agree with my decision. I'm just asking you to understand."

"Honestly, I do, better than you know. But-"

"But there's someone else, isn't there?" she said, her voice catching.

He sighed. "I'm not promised to anyone, but... it's complicated."

"Well, that's a problem for another day. I've waited too long, I really have to go now. Goodbye, Nuru."

"Bye, Zula. It was really great to see you again."

"You too. Don't be a stranger."

"Never."

She pecked him on the lips again, then turned and sprinted for, he assumed, the Way Station travel service while he went looking for an inn. It was a big day tomorrow.

He took a deep breath, refocusing his attention. Then he snapped his fingers, suddenly inspired. "Actually... I've got a better idea. I need to prepare a surprise."

*****

"OOOUUUAAARGH!" Nuru said, dropping from sleep to wakefulness in half a second.

"Gods below, I can't believe you made it!" Dayo said into his shoulder.

"I'm still trying to process it myself," Nuru coughed.

"Dayo! You keep this up and we're going to get a reputation for poor manners AND the roof leak!" Mesi chided.

"Are not, you bossy bitch!" Dayo called back.

"Them's fightin' words!" Mesi replied.

Dayo Shadow Walked and crushed her against the wall. "You start it, I'll finish it."

"Mrrrow, not in front of the guests dear," Mesi said and winked at Nuru.

"Oh don't stop on my account," he grinned.

"So what's on the agenda for today?" Dayo said, letting Mesi go with only a punitive grope and a growl.

"I'm meeting Furaha at Way Station, and we're going to come back and stroll through the ol' stomping grounds," Nuru said. "Mesi, I need some food to go. Something nice. For two."

"You got it. Give me a little time to get Baako whipped back into the kitchen and it'll be ready for lunch."

"Wait, who owns that place again?" Nuru said.

Dayo chuckled. "She's decided to get ambitious. I think she's getting ready to try to buy him out."

"Either that, or I'm starting my own business," Mesi nodded.

"He'd better sell, you'll put him out of business either way," Nuru smirked.

"He's got a little time left. I still need to learn how to do the bookkeeping and all that," Mesi said.

"Alright, you do that, I'm off to Way Station real quick," Nuru said.

"And I'm coming with you. This close to the no-PvP zone, I'll never forgive myself if something happens to you," Dayo said.

"Fine, but my body-double needs to be adequately protected too," Nuru said.

"He can wait. Come on."

*****

The miles flew by, and they didn't have enough time to catch up with each other fully before they reached the Way Station library.

"Let me go check this out, just in case."

"Oh come on, here!?"

"That's what we thought when Ace got tossed through a portal back to Home Town. I've got a bad feeling... just humor me, will you?"

"Well, do what you must, then."

Dayo walked forward, their footsteps oddly muted.

/Nuru! Get out of there!/

(What do you mean? There's-)

/Now! Someone's laid a rune! A big one./

He turned and ran in the direction of the tavern he remembered going to. A group of rangers blocked the way, and he saw movement out of the corner of his eye that told him more were appearing to block all the exits.

"You're dead. Just accept your fate gracefully," the man said in a gravelly voice, pulling a long sword and advancing boldly.

Nuru flipped his spellbook open and tore a page free.

"Don't bother, I know your methods. With my Hood of Resolve, I can't be Intimidated-"

Nuru's hand produced a storm of tiny needles and, as Furaha had told him, he was able to direct it to some degree by angling his palm different directions. What looked like a clumsy cast intentionally sent a few needles wide to either side, and Nuru dodged forward around the howling ranger and then right behind him in a straight line of travel as two more rangers on either side shied away in sudden pain from the stray projectiles. He perceived the edge of a Rune of Sound Suppression's area of effect as he left it, and the sounds of the city brightened.

"Guards! Guards!" he cried out, heading towards the inn.

He almost made it. Rangers could be heard closing in from behind, naturally swifter than he himself could run, and he briefly considered if Weightless Foot would help him. However, he changed course and slid to a stop at the feet of a city guard who waved him over with a spear ready to defend him.

"!Babban Ruwan Iska!" the voice behind Nuru cried.

Nuru looked up to see several more rangers pouring out of the street he'd just come from, one of them who'd just cast had a blue flame-like aura flicking upwards from his sword. The man whirled and slashed out into the empty air, sending wave after wave of blue energy flashing out for him at incredible speed, and Nuru was glad he'd stopped as he wouldn't have made it. The guard stepped forward, angling his shield and catching the attacks directly, taking some HP damage from the hits, before throwing his spear down. His hands came together and the air shivered around Nuru as some new magic filled the space.

"!Suprési Sihir Dewa Nyala!"

/Oh, my. You know you're in trouble when a goddess's power is invoked against you directly./

Several of the rangers looked at each other. "Did this fool just...?" one of them said.

"Your goddess won't save you, little sheep-herder," another said.

"You have broken the law of Nyala in broad daylight on her city streets. Your lives are forfeit," the guard said.

"Come and take it then, little lapdog," the first said.

"!Tanda Kasalahan Nyala!" the guard added.

"Oh hells, a mark of guilt, whatever shall we do?" the second ranger said sarcastically as the others caught up to him.

A handful of brown and green orbs floated around the men; they were Nyala's ceremonial colors, if Nuru's guess was correct, based on Katlego's robe and the priest Taurai's armor when he'd met them.

"It's not like a death mark is a badge of honor in the Seal Club- oh wait!" the other said, and the newcomers laughed.

Another wave of rangers, with a few fighters among them turned the corner at a rapid pace just as the first of the attackers were slashing at the guard, probing his defenses.

"And here come the reinforcements. You're dead little-"

"Run you idiots!" the others said, not stopping to join them.

"Wha-?"

Next around the corner were a number of paladins, in Nyala's colors. Nuru covered his face, and in the ensuing scuffle he was completely ignored, except that the guard hauled him up and into the inn, with a quick admonition to stay out of sight. It didn't look good for the Seal Club; they were apparently unable to cast any kind of magic now, while the paladins had no such restriction. The tables had quickly turned, and Nuru's attackers were routed and driven away, though he was a little disappointed that none of them were actually struck down where he could see. He waited until the coast was clear, then took off for the library again. He found Dayo and Furaha outside the front door, walking away from the paladins guarding the entrance.

"You owe me five currency," Dayo grinned at Furaha.

"You bet against me?" Nuru scowled at the half-elf.

"I would never!" she glared at Dayo. "You called it, though. Safe and sound, and here he is. If I had made that bet, I'd have been praying to lose it."

"Geez, what happened?" Nuru said as Furaha melted into him with a fierce hug.

"Somebody called on the power of Nyala, as happens when sovereign territory is egregiously violated. Once that happened, forces were instantly dispatched - and since the Travel Service is right here, they arrived almost instantly," Furaha said. "There were a bunch of Seal Clubbers in the library waiting for you, and they held me at sword-point until the paladins came. Dayo was fighting to reach me, but they were prepared. I held off from using Needle Storm in there to defend myself until the last minute, because I knew they'd have just killed me outright."

"I say we get some serious revenge," Nuru said.

"How?" Dayo frowned.

"By refusing to let them ruin our day. Dayo, have a drink with us before you go?"

"Oh hell yes. Where are we going?"

"Why don't you run by and pick up a bottle from Baako's inn and meet me at my pasture?" Nuru said. "We'll have a quick celebration before you go drag my spitting image around and lead people on a wild goostrich chase."