Brie Knows Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"TMI!" Angie exclaimed. "I've gotta run home and grab Rob. I'm almost ashamed to admit all this is making me a bit... well, you know."

After Angie left, Doug tried to turn the conversation to better subjects.

"Well, that was a strange few days. Can I focus on you now?"

"I thought you'd never ask, big guy." She smiled conveying her not-so-hidden meaning as she climbed onto his lap.

"You're not hiding a ruler in your jeans, are you?"

She let loose a sexy giggle. "I don't need one. Let's make out and I'm sure the full measure will make itself known."

Doug held her in his arms and their lips met with desire and lust. Their tongues joined as if they had to substitute for other places on their body that longed to meet in glorious passion and love. Were they getting good at kissing, or was the intensity of kissing reflecting the growing love between them? The answer had to be—yes.

Doug had been cautious getting to the point of proclaiming his love, as was Dani. But he knew they both had good reasons. Love was expressed, demonstrated, and deeply accepted. Based on where his heart was, he decided to throw caution to the wind.

"Would you be scared away if I told you I want to marry you?"

She couldn't see his face. He was both excited and afraid. But he couldn't contain the question any longer.

He couldn't see her face either. It was filled with joy and love.

"That depends. Would you be scared away if I said yes?"

He pulled back to look into her eyes.

"Are you saying yes?" His entire face illuminated as he noticed her beaming at him.

"Yes." She kissed him.

"I'm not scared in the least!" He kissed her.

"So do you have a ring?"

"Not yet. I didn't plan this tonight. I just... had to ask as if my life depended on it." They kissed each other.

"Are you going to get on a knee and ask me properly?"

"Does it count that you're sitting on both of my knees."

"I'll take it as official." Their mouths merged in a passion-filled kiss with mutual, spoken love and the promise of a life together. They both longed for the moment their lives together would officially be launched. This was it. This was that milestone. Waves of love surrounded them.

They wore out lots of things that evening. Their lips, their tongues, the couch, the word 'love'... and yet it was all exactly as it needed to be. All was right with their world.

They decided not to announce anything until they bought a ring. Doug was happy that Dani wanted to help pick it out. He was scared he'd mess it up. They began to talk timing of a wedding and how big it should be. Since it was the second marriage for both, they wanted it small and informal. And... soon!

They chose a ring that Saturday and had it sized immediately. Dani wore it Sunday morning and the pastor announced their engagement to the church during the informal greeting time before the praise song segment. This couple was fully loved and embraced by the whole congregation, so rousing applause greeted the news. It was a glorious day.

Sunday afternoon, Lisa and Pete invited Dani, Doug, Angie, and Rob to their house to celebrate. The day was filled with friends, food, and great fellowship as they rejoiced about Dani and Doug's announcement.

That evening, Dani and Doug settled in to relax at Doug's house. Dani was in her favorite place—Doug's lap with Brie scrunched against them. They cuddled and joined their lips and tongues in a loving dance. Their mouths embraced the flavor of love. It had a sweetness they both savored. The gentle pace turned to frantic clutching and hugging expressing the heat of the fires building within them. They ravenously assaulted each other's lips and tongues trying to find a way to flow into each other—be more combined—to join their inner forces into common energy. Being one with each other was the complete desire of their hearts.

As they stopped to breathe a moment, Dani posed a question Doug anticipated would eventually surface.

"Baby?"

"Yes?"

"What do you think about sex?"

"I'm in favor of it," he laughed.

"I'm being serious."

"Sorry. What are you really asking me?"

"Well, I love how we kiss—a lot. Making out with you is the hottest thing ever."

"Me too, Sweetie. The passion that radiates from you—I mean—wow!"

"But why don't you, you know... make a move on me?"

"Are you kidding? The battles I've been having with my self-control have been painful. I can't look at you without wanting to quit my job and do nothing every day but make love with you."

"So why haven't you tried to?"

"Because I love you so much. Are you saying you'd rather we give in now that we're engaged?"

"I don't know. I'm tempted."

"If we were going to wait a year to get married, I don't think I could wait without giving in too. But we've talked about getting married soon, and if we can wait—I think we should."

"It's not like we're virgins, so I guess I'm on the fence. But I do want the wedding night to be uniquely special. It's just, I'd love to jump on you right now!" she said with a smile and all the sultry demeanor she could muster.

"With my head where it's at, I hear you say 'fence' and I want to bend you over it and ravage your beautiful body."

"I love you, Doug. I just wanted to be sure you didn't think I... didn't want to, because I really, really, really do. I mean, really."

"Oh, me too, Dani. Me too. But you're good with waiting?"

As Doug waited for his answer, he kissed her neck, hitting all the spots that drove her senses wild. He felt her squirm on his lap with excitement and arousal.

"Oh, Baby. You keep that up, I'm not going to wait another minute."

He pulled back and looked into her eyes.

"I love you more every day, Dani. And something tells me when we finally make love on our wedding night, words like 'hot' and 'passion' will be ripped out of the dictionary for their failure to describe us together."

She melted into his arms. Brie snuggled closer. How soon they could make a wedding happen?

*****

After work the following Tuesday, Dani and Doug decided to set the date for their wedding. It was only a little over eight weeks away, but it would be informal enough that the short engagement shouldn't be a problem. They checked with family and closest friends, and the date worked well.

Angie pledged to help them pull things together quickly. She always had a way of finding the bottom line. "So, you two are too horny for a long engagement, huh?"

The following weekend Doug's mom, Helen, was coming to his house for several days. She lived in Kutztown, a small town west of Allentown where Doug grew up. She has lived there alone since Doug's dad died ten years ago, but she had lots of friends there and seemed to want to stay. Doug and Dani had talked about her. They'd like to convince her to move in with them after the wedding. Dani had only met her once but found her future mother-in-law to be a charming woman.

Saturday morning came, and Helen arrived with a smile to greet her son.

"Dougie! How's my sweet boy?"

"Mom. Nobody calls me Dougie."

"That's a mom's prerogative."

They spent time catching up and sharing mother-son moments.

"When is Danielle coming over? I haven't had a chance to give my future daughter a kiss and hug."

"You remember my friends, Angie and Rob?"

"Yes."

"Dani is shopping with Angie today to get some wedding preparation items taken care of, like invitations, flowers, and stuff. She should be here late afternoon then I'll take my two favorite girls out to dinner."

"So you're taking me and Brie. What about Danielle?" Helen laughed.

They put Helen's things into the guest room and chatted for a while when Doug's cell phone buzzed. It was Rob, Angie's husband.

"Hey, Rob. Whazzup?"

Doug heard Rob breathing but not saying anything. A chill went through him.

"Rob?"

"There's... been an accident."

Doug's heart got caught in his throat.

"What? Tell me, Rob."

"Dani's in the hospital in the ER. Angie's okay, but can't find out anything. I'm going over and I'll pick you up."

Every fear possible rushed into Doug's thoughts. This couldn't happen. Dani had to be okay. His tears welled in fear and hopelessness. He needed to know what happened, how she was, would she be okay. He needed what he was most afraid of right now—the truth.

Helen saw his reaction to the call and begged for information, but it was if Doug couldn't hear her. The voices shouting awful things in his head drowned out everything else. A cacophony of doom and anguish bombarded him. His mom held him as he fought through everything attacking him to tell her what he knew.

"Dani was in an accident. We're going to the hospital."

"Oh my God! How is she?"

"Don't know."

"Is she hurt badly"

"I don't know, Mom!" His voice was raised with growing anger and frustration.

She saw him on the edge and realized talking would only push him over. Rob had already arrived, so they quickly piled into his car.

"What do you know Rob? Give me anything."

"Another damn kid texting ran a stop sign and hit them right at Dani's door. All I know is she was out cold and her face was bloody. She's being evaluated now but they won't tell Angie anything. You need to call Dani's parents to get one of them here for us to get any news."

Doug called Theresa's cell immediately. Fortunately, they were in Philadelphia at a conference so they could be there with the hour.

At the hospital, Doug pleaded with the staff for any news. They didn't care he was her fiancé—they were bound by law to only discuss her medical issues with designated family members. The most they would say is she was out of immediate danger and stable, but not conscious.

Doug sat with Angie, Rob and his mom in the waiting area. His emotions all gathered into a frightening power. Hurt, fear, love, hope, hopelessness, all formed into surging anger as he'd never faced before. His self-control was on the edge of giving up. He wanted to lash out at someone or something. His only earthly stabilizing force was unconscious in a bed where he couldn't go. She was 'the' cure, but her condition was the cause.

Doug darted out the doors. He thrashed his fists against a concrete column, not caring about the consequences. He cried out in a painful yell of anguish. His mind played with his darkest emotions. Pictures formed of wounds, blood, gore to torment him. He was under attack. Images of Tammy floated in. Carla's betrayal and the website images he witnesses drilled into his mind and twisted his perspective. Everything around him felt destroyed and abandoned. He lived in the ruins.

Rob finally grabbed him and held him tight so he wouldn't hurt himself further. His hands were bloodied. Those precious hands that played music so beautifully were at risk. Doug finally gave up thrashing and fighting against the stronger man, and he collapsed in unparalleled agony in his friends embrace. Angie and his mom finally felt it was safe enough to join the embrace. Security personal had arrived in time to see things were back under control.

Doug seemed completely defeated until he noticed Scott and Theresa getting out of their car. They saw him and ran to him.

"Doug, tell us!" They saw him and his condition and suddenly feared the worse.

Rob spoke for him. "They won't tell us anything because we're not family."

Dani's parents were temporarily relieved and rushed to the ER reception desk with everyone else following. A woman doctor came out to greet them to give them the update.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wells, am I able to speak of Ms. Harris's condition in front of these folks?"

Doug was ready to let loose again but managed to maintain control.

Scott spoke up. "That's her fiancé, you twit. Of course, you can speak in front of him. You should have spoken to him."

She had dealt with this before. She remained professional. The fact that she was bound by the law as to who she could talk to wouldn't change their emotions.

"Ms. Harris is stable. She is unconscious and most likely has a concussion. We know she has three broken ribs and we can't see any internal damage beyond that. The blow on the head is the greatest concern. She also has a deep gash most of the length of her right cheek, apparently from flying metal. We've cleaned the wound as best possible but until we know there are no further complications from the head trauma, we don't want to put her under anesthesia to address the wound further."

Scott asked the obvious. "Can we see her?"

"Three of you maximum at a time."

She looked at Doug. "Sir, we should look at those hands."

"Not until I see her first."

"Alright. Ten minutes, then come to the desk and ask for me—Doctor Adams. I'll take you back to her."

Helen, Rob, and Angie stayed behind. Doug suggested that when he comes out to attend to his hands Angie should take his place.

Doug looked at the love of his life lying still. It scared him, but his love poured out. He held her hand and whispered in her ear.

"I love you, sweetie. Come back to me soon. I'll be here."

He left to get his hands fixed with tears in his eyes. Helen joined him in the ER treatment room. Fortunately, he didn't do any major damage. Bruises, scrapes, and cuts would heal. He scolded himself for his stupidity but he was still wrestling with the dark thoughts hammering his consciousness.

Once his hands were cleaned and bandaged, he asked Rob and Angie to take his mom to his house and then go home themselves. Angie fought back. "I can't leave! Not until I know she's okay. Doug, I was driving and I'm not hurt at all. It should be me in there, not her."

"Angie, you can't think like that," Doug told her. "It wasn't your fault. But I sure hope the stupid kid that hit you is held accountable. I can't believe the same thing that killed her husband almost killed her. These damn, stupid kids—texting!"

Helen piped up. "Dougie, you stay—I stay."

Doug, Theresa, and Angie stayed in Dani's room. They planned to rotate with the others except for Doug. He would not leave her side again.

About one in the morning, Doug's head rested on Dani's left hand when he felt movement and heard her moan. He sprung to life and sent Angie to get the nurse.

"Dani, do you hear me? Dani?"

She was groggy and held her eyes closed to avoid the light.

"Wha... wha... what happened? Doug?"

"Sshhhh. You were in an accident but you're gonna be okay," he choked out with tears streaming.

"My head hurts." She started gasping with a bit of anxiousness. "Ohhh—it hurts to breathe."

"You have some cracked ribs, and probably a concussion. Just relax. Now that you're awake the doctor will be here soon."

She squeezed his hand in acknowledgment.

The days that followed found Doug at her side. Scott drove to Baltimore and was returning with a suitcase of clothes so he and Theresa could stay nearby. By Wednesday, Dani had several surgeries to repair the damage to her cheek, ending with the work of a renowned plastic surgeon brought from Philadelphia. He advised them there would be a scar. The gash was nearly an inch wide and six inches long. But with the work he did, he felt it would fade to where it was barely noticeable.

Dani listened intently to what the surgeon said. Her mood had been understandably subdued given the pain she was in, but Doug saw something else in her that worried him. Theresa noticed it, too. She walked with Doug to get a cup of coffee and talk to him.

"Doug, her mind is working on something, but I can't get her to tell me anything."

"Same here. Knowing her personality, I thought she'd bounce back quickly. Maybe she's dwelling on the whole texting thing and the near-tragic irony that it was what caused her husband's death. You were there. Was it similar to how she's reacting now?"

"No. She grieved terribly, of course. But her personality was always intact."

Doug choked on the next words.

"She even seems distant to me. I don't get it. I don't know what she's going through, but she's blocking me out when she should be leaning on me."

"I know Doug, I've seen it too. Don't take it personally. We'll get her to open up."

"It is personal. It's ripping me apart."

The doctor indicated Dani would be released on Friday. Dani demanded that Doug go back to work and sleep at his home especially since his mom was still at his house. Dani said he could come to see her in the evenings. She said it almost coldly. Her face was in pain so he didn't expect big smiles, but her eyes looked different. Disturbingly different.

Doug returned to work on Thursday and visited Dani all evening. She slept the whole time only stirring a little when he kissed her hello, then later goodbye. He held her hand all evening and she responded lightly, but that was it. Was she faking sleeping? She wouldn't do that, would she? Even so, his gut was churning. How could he get her back to being herself?

According to Theresa, they were going to discharge Dani Friday afternoon, and she would stay with her at Dani's apartment for a week. Doug should come over there after work.

He put in his hours at the office, but Doug felt disconnected. As the day ended, he drove home to see his mom and to let Brie out and feed her. Brie wasn't her happy-self. She seemed—agitated. Doug attributed her mood to her routine being upset. He left his best friend and his mom to go see Dani.

Doug pulled into the lot and went to Dani's apartment. He knocked, but there was no answer. He called her cell and it went right to voicemail.

He thought maybe she wasn't discharged, so he drove to the hospital. They assured him she left with her parents around noon.

Doug was frantic. His mind raced. "Where'd she go? What's going on?" He thought of how she behaved lately and his stomach churned. As he left the hospital, he vomited in the bushes outside the front door. He was getting back into his car when his phone buzzed. It was Theresa, Dani's mom.

"Theresa! What's going on? I can't find her."

"I know. Calm down, Doug. She's with us in Baltimore."

"I'll go pack a bag, book a room, and come down tonight."

"No, Doug. Just listen. Remember our talk about something being wrong?"

"Yes?" He couldn't imagine his stomach feeling worse, but now it did.

"She's in an unreasonable state of mind right now. So listen to what I say, but keep in mind I think you and Dani will get past this."

"Past what?"

"Just listen and let me explain. On Wednesday, Dani saw her face in a mirror when the nurses were changing the dressings. You were out of the room getting something to eat so you haven't seen it yet, but, my God it looks horrible." He could hear Theresa fighting tears at the memory of the image.

Doug interrupted while Theresa struggled for composure. "But the doctor said it will heal well and she'd look fine."

Theresa continued. "Yes, but Dani doesn't believe him after seeing her face. She demanded we bring her home and—oh God Doug, I don't want to say this... she doesn't want you saddled with what she called 'a freak.' She wants to let you go."

"No, no, no, no, no!" Doug broke down. He could tell Theresa was crying too.

"Theresa, does she think I'm that shallow? Do you?"

"Of course I don't, Doug. And if Dani were in her right mind, I don't think she would either."

"Will she talk to me?"

"Eventually. She asked me to make this call only to let you know her decision. She's not with me so I can talk freely. The pain in her face is evidently excruciating even with the pain meds, and she's afraid if she talks to you her emotions will make her face contort and cause her even greater pain. She's maintained this eerie calm demeanor to control that, but it also reflects her mood."