All Comments on 'Broke'

by oggbashan

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
The_PedantThe_Pedantabout 6 years ago
Unlikely scenario.

I find it hard to believe that all of them were in the reserves (the T. A.) unbeknownst to the others. The two weeks summer camp - OK, that would be in the long summer vacation, but weekends drills and training - not likely given the need to wear uniform and the fact that they would have to be in separate units. That is highly unlikely, not forgetting joint training.

I also find it difficult to believe that all of them were able to qualify for first class honours degrees and even more unlikely that those degrees would be awarded without taking finals.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Pedant

It is a story. Do you read only factual yarns on this site?

dani_lrlmdani_lrlmabout 6 years ago
Thank you for the lovely Romance

But for all who know what Afganistan stands for please don't keep us in suspense about their return for 6 months.

oggbashanoggbashanabout 6 years agoAuthor
Author's respons to The Pedant.

1. The group of seven have only been together for just over a term.

2. In their final univerisity year the TA is likely to reduce or defer their commitment to training. But they go away most weekends so what they do can remain secret.

3. Most UK universities have students who are a significant distance from their home towns. Any students living in university accommodation are not local. The probability that seven students would come from the same town and belong to the same TA units is low.

4. Students that are members of the TA are likely to demonstrate more dedication and purpose than those that are not in the TA, therefore all of them being eligible for Firsts is not unlikely.

5. Awarding degrees without a final examination is not unique. Students who are ill at the time of the finals can and do get degrees on the basis of tutors' recommendation. In the circumstances outlined in the story the Ministry of Defence is likely to ask the University's Senate for a special dispensation - and I made it clear that the Vice-Chancellor and some other Senate members were ex-military.

6. You seem determined to live up to your user name and don't allow feedback. Why?

tazz317tazz317about 6 years ago
ACADEMIA WITH A CONSCIENCE

brought on by homeland security rules, TK U MLJ LV NV

rightbankrightbankabout 6 years ago
Thanks for an introspective view of the social dynamics of a small group

Rich, poor, shy, bold, quiet, brash, self-sufficient, inter-dependent.

DrizdartDrizdartabout 6 years ago
Conclusion ...

The ending was abrupt and missed out on the chance to develop the relationships a bit more. Knowing my father's & mother's story as they considered engagement before he left for WWII training, I think having one couple say "yes" and the other saying "when you get back, we'll see if we are the same people ..." (a "yes, but..." reply) would seem reasonable, and open up the chance for some different sorts of romance (if you were going to continue the story).

OvercriticalOvercriticalalmost 5 years ago
Very satisfying

A fine story about dedication to studies, friends, lovers and country. A little dry in delivery, but that's this author's style.

Antryg_WindroseAntryg_Windroseover 3 years ago
Rushed ending

The first and only 4-star vote I've had for you, Ogg. Good details as usual but it was ultimately unsatisfying. Did health problems distract you?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great beginning, but a sequel is absolutely necessary. Without it I can only give a 4.

Rancher46Rancher46over 2 years ago

What a great story of new found love and dedication to Queen and Country. I agree with the other comments that this wonderful story needs a sequel to make it complete. Well Done. 5 stars

steverob1054steverob1054about 2 years ago

Yet another wonderful piece of writing by the genius who is Oggbashan. Thank you so much Ogg, and my best wishes for a full recovery. SteveR

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useroggbashan@oggbashan
1527 Followers
Can I now change bio? oggbashan was diagnosed as terminally ill and expected to be dead by June 2018. As you can see. I am still here. . As long as I can I will continue writing and posting on Literotica but there will be an end - soon. I don't expect anyone to like ALL of my...

SIMILAR Stories