Brynn Phytrelia Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I was thinking...that maybe...if they had..." Brynn was fighting herself on it. "If they had his power...and mine...they would have no reason to...keep him. That's all." She winced as her hands, unnoticed to her, wrung themselves a little too much. She forced them apart.

"I understand. Mistress, you are now in charge of this vessel, so if you say it, it will be so, as far as my abilities are concerned. However, I do feel I should advise against this. I can understand that you wish to rescue Captain Chariton and that his absence pains you, but the chances of your success are low enough that I cannot provide you the vote of confidence I may usually express. I shall do whatever you request, but it is my responsibility to keep you informed. So, what shall we be doing once Avenger engages the Delethirian ship?"

"I...you're right. It is very low chance. We shouldn't leap into action if we don't know we won't come out on top." Brynn fidgeted. "We should...stay. Where we're safe. Unless there is a better course of action, we will stay where we know we can manage ourselves." She dropped her head in her hands and scrubbed at her face.

"I am sorry, Mistress. I understand that doing nothing has left you feeling quite frustrated. However, I do not believe Captain Chariton would want you to rush into the jaws of death for no other reason than to stop doing nothing. I am sure that when the opportunity arises, you'll make the right choice."

"I feel like I should...maybe...offer my...s-self...in exchange..." Brynn's voice tripped over the words, fear choking her at the idea. "Because...maybe if I offer...they'll give him b-back..."

Ophelia's image shook her head. "Mistress, please. I am confident that if you consider what you are saying that you will see how illogical that sounds. If they already have Idris, and they went through all of that trouble to get him..." Her voice trailed off for a moment. "Think of it this way, Mistress: If a carnivore has already captured its prey, and a second prey comes into its very lair asking for it to release the first victim, is the predator more likely to relinquish its first victim, or simply indulge themselves on two victims; one willing, one not so much?"

"I know...I just..." Brynn shut her eyes. "Right now, let's just see what happens." She sighed and looked at the screen. "Please inform me if anything changes. Can you monitor anything from the Avenger, to see how it's going? Or do I have to request that?"

"I will request access to the coordination channel and broadcast it into the ship, if you like. I will also try to see if I can forward sensor data, from Avenger's CIC, to the display so you can monitor the combat form here. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Brynn wrung her hands some more, fidgeting. "No...I...I guess not." He huffed and sat back in the chair, trying not to pout.

The view screen changed, showing the visual of three ships, far enough away that Brynn could hardly see them, exchanging fire.

Brynn watched the screen as it changed and zoomed. "Thank you, Ophelia." Biting down on her lower lip, she settled back in the chair, not planning to leave for quite some time. She wanted to keep a very close eye on things.

"Of course, Mistress."

All at once, Brynn could hear the commotion on the frequency. "Alpha squad, prepare to attack. You've been assigned to engage enemy fighters and defend Beta Squadron from assault. Beta Squad will be in charge of engaging enemy shields and taking out gunships. Remember what we're here for...we need to disable the ship and capture its personnel."

The various responses came back over the channel, one by one, each fighter reporting in for an affirmative. "Alpha Squad, enter attack positions and engage."

The ships seemed to fill the screen as they zipped past and exited the deck, flying out into space. "There's already a lot of fighting going on here. Remember your assignments. We need this ship. Watch your backs."

"Captain, a squadron of enemy fighters is heading for the bridge! Have a gunner engage."

She could hear Captain Johansen's voice over the channel now. "Gunners, engage! Take out those fighters before they can hamper bridge shields!"

Brynn could feel the ship tremble and quake, shaking a little. "They're shields are too strong, Captain! Alpha Squad, intercede!"

"We can't, Captain! We're unable to penetrate their shields."

"Helm, take evasive action! The shields on the starboard side can take the beating. Evacuate all personnel from the lower levels!"

The trembling got worse, the ship shaking. She could see personnel on the bulkhead losing their footing and sprawling onto the ground from the turbulence. "Captain, another vessel on our sensors! Their attacking Tetryndai! Tetryndai's shields don't seem to be having any effect against the weapons!"

"Move Alphas! We need to keep the Beta squadron intact while they try and take out those shields!"

"Captain, our weapons don't seem to have any effect! We're not getting through. Enemy shields are holding at 97%. We just don't have enough power!"

She could hear Kadri's voice on the comm this time. "Captain, Tetryndai has been destroyed. At least thirty thousand souls lost. The second vessel is turning on us!"

The ground beneath Brynn quaked again and the little image appeared on the control console.

"Mistress, I recommend we get off the deck. If we activate Atalanta's engines, we can retract the landing gear and maintain a more stable position. It will be safer than risking damage from the turbulence."

Brynn frowned down at the image. "Ophelia...I don't know. I cannot control a ship at all. I would have to rely entirely on you to get this ship off the deck then back on it again once this is over."

The image shook its head. "I will guide you through it. Follow my instructions, explicitly. I will use my imagers to highlight the controls you need to use."

Brynn nodded and began following Ophelia's prompts. As she did so, she felt the ship begin to rise off the deck, feeling the subtle vibrations around her.

"The ship is in hover. DON'T touch anything else. Allow the ship to remain stationary to avoid causing harm to any other vessels."

Brynn shook her head. "Please, don't worry, Ophelia. I'm not going just start pressing buttons." She held her hands up, away from the console, terrified that she might nudge something by accident and crash. Taking a deep breath, she even sat down slowly, wincing as she leaned in the chair.

She could once again hear the chatter of the combat frequency. "Destroy that ship! All squads, focus fire on the second vessel! Focus all fire on the second ship!"

"She's too strong, Captain! And our weapons can't seem to-" Static.

It was Kadri's voice next. "Captain, Felicitas is asking for a full retreat. Their venting atmosphere and their life support is failing. They are recommending we retreat so we can deliver tactical information to the council."

"Tell our fighters to retreat. Pull everyone back into the ship and set a course. Get us out of here, Ms. Usid."

The next voice was different. It sounded familiar somehow, but Brynn couldn't place it. "All Secondary Initiative vessels, lower your shields. Deactivate your weapons. You have been defeated. If you continue to resist, it will result in your annihilation."

"Captain, they have a good lock. Both ship's shields are holding. Our defenses simply cannot withstand their weapons."

"What are you saying? You think we should surrender?!"

She couldn't hear the voice that came next, or seem to pinpoint its source. She could hear it in her mind, and it felt like it was there, next to her in the cockpit.

"...Brynn...get off the launch deck. Captain Johansen will never surrender, and because of it, she's going to get you killed. Get off the deck and get clear...please..."

Brynn sat up straight, looking around. "Ophelia? Did you..."

The projection moved closer to her. "Yes, Mistress?"

Brynn shook her head. "No...never mind. I just..." She shook her head again. "Forget it."

"Captain, we've got damage reports coming in from every department. If they do press the attack, I am not sure Avenger will be able to survive," she heard Kadri say.

"We're not going to surrender an Initiative vessel to anyone, let alone to a Delethirian ship! Get everyone aboard and then get us the hell out of here!"

"...Now Brynn! You have to go...Tell Ophelia you want to leave the ship and she'll show you how! Just, get OUT of there..."

Brynn looked around, hesitating. She didn't know what to do. "Ophelia?"

"Yes, Mistress, what it is?"

"We...we have to go...we have to get off Avenger. I...I need your help."

"Mistress?"

"Just...just trust me. Help me." Brynn felt her heart drop down into her stomach. "Ophelia, please hurry, and don't ask me anymore questions!"

"I do not recommend it. With the fighters returning, you'll be an obstacle and in great danger..."

"No, no, Ophelia, we need to get off the launch deck." Her head was hurting as she second guessed herself for a moment then stared up at the ceiling for a moment.

The image looked very confused. "Mistress, are you feeling alright? If we leave the safety of Avenger, Atalanta will be destroyed. Our shields are nowhere near powerful enough to withstand their firepower."

"Ophelia...I am trying to do what I'm told. Get us off the launch deck. Captain Johansen will not surrender and we will be killed along with everyone on this ship." She stared down at the image and waited, the apprehension nearly suffocating her.

"Do what you are told?"

Brynn hesitated, and then shook her head. "I mean...my instincts. I am trusting my instincts."

"Very well, Mistress."

Brynn nodded, holding tightly, staring up and out, then back down. "Alright, Ophelia. Cross your fingers."

Hesitating, she shot the image a look then stared ahead and as she did as she'd been instructed. The feeling of the ship moving upwards made her stomach twist, and grow even heavier and as she pushed it forward she began to hold her breath.

Then the voice came over the frequency. "Atalanta! What are you doing! Set back down on the launch deck before you kill someone!" Brynn didn't know the voice, but even if she had, she'd still be ignoring it.

"Mistress, use the seat for support. Don't lean forward, just maneuver the helm without moving your body."

Brynn felt the seat adjusting, lifting and moving forward to get Brynn closer to the console. Brynn relaxed a little, feeling less strain. She wouldn't have to move now, the adjustment putting her within arm's reach of the entire console and in a position to comfortably navigate the helm while sitting safely in the contours of the seat.

"And don't forget your crash webbing!" The restraints hung off the side of the seat. The image moved closer to them, indicating. "And you may want to answer Avenger so they don't shoot you down."

Frowning at the voice, she almost groaned, but bit it back, focusing on trying not to kill anyone including herself. "Right..." Clearing her throat, trying to keep the anxiety out of her tone. "This is Atalanta. If Captain Johansen can't find it in here to save Avenger, I am not going to stick around. Hold your fire." She couldn't provide anything more than that.

"Get back on the deck, Atalanta! Or get the hell out of the way. You're putting my fighters at risk! I will not have you clogging incoming traffic just because you don't agree with the captain!"

"Don't worry, Mistress," the image looked up at her, "Atalanta's controls are designed to filter out the shakes that pilots often get. Just get over to the launch bay before the fighters get back. If you can get off the landing deck and get us out into space, then we won't have to worry about colliding with incoming fighters and making a mess of things."

"...Hurry, Brynn! You don't have time to screw around with the ship. Get out of there...!"

Brynn swallowed nervously, nodding. She winced at all the voices that were coming at her, she let out a frustrated groan. "Come on, Brynn, you can do this. You've survived so much worse."

Taking another deep breath, she held it and started the ship forward, faster this time. Eyes were focused intensely ahead as she made her way to the launch bay as fast as she could without having a heart attack. The ship turned and began to proceed towards the gaping hole in the middle of the deck. As she pushed the column forward, the ship picked up speed. "Of course, Mistress. Just get about halfway over the launch bay and then nose down. You're going to need to get a little speed to evade those fighters."

"Alright, Ophelia."

Pushing the ship a little faster, she watched as their exit loom closer and closer. "Nosing down." She muttered and moved down through the hole. She cried out softly as if scared she'd explode right there, but the ship made it through without any trauma. "Ophelia what now?"

"We may want move further away from the bay. The fighters are proceeding and if you don't move, you'll risk a collision."

"I know, I know!" Brynn bit down hard on her lip as she shoved forward, pushing the ship to accelerate much more than she was comfortable with, but knew she had no other choice. As the front of the ship nosed down, she could see the fighters move over her rear. She was flying under Avenger now, down and away. But then both of the attacking ships, all at once, fired on Avenger as the other battleship, she assumed this was Felicitas, disappeared into antispace. The first few blasts hit the shields, but then they died out and the rear fifty or so meters of the ship burst into flames. The thrusters at the rear of the ship exploded and the ship broke in two, the larger half of the ship drifting away as the back half rolled a little and exploded.

A shriek of terror escaped from Brynn's mouth as she saw Avenger die. Then the ship lurched, hard enough for her restraints to hurt.

"Mistress, I'm afraid that we've been spotted. We're caught in the tractor beam from one of those ships."

Jumping at the sound of Ophelia's voice, she stared down at the image then up. "What? Is that good? No, no, never mind. Stupid question. Can't we get free?!"

The image shook its head. "No! That is what I was trying to warn you of! Our engines are not nearly powerful enough to escape the battleship's hold. If I were you, I would hide in the medical bay. It is your best chance of not being spotted"

Taking a deep breath, she unhooked herself from the chair and stood up immediately. "Alright, alright, I'm going!" She hated that stupid closet that Idris called a medical bay, but she knew if she was going to have to do what she had to do to survive. Instinctively, her body temperature rose and she hurried down the corridor. She gave a little shake of her head. As she approached, the wall folded away, revealing the station again. She sat down, hiding under the bed, hugging her knees close to her. She hated this. This was the one thing she hated doing more than anything else: hurry up and wait.

"...It's ok, Sweetheart. We have you. Just stay calm until I can come for you. I promise you'll be safe. Just meet me at the head of the landing ramp, alright..."

It was that voice again, speaking to her from out of nowhere. "I'm in the medical bay. I'm not moving." Brynn spoke aloud to the air, and then thought the same exact thing for good measure. She certainly was not going anywhere. If this was a trick, if this was a trap of any kind, she was not going to be an idiot and just go waltzing right into the enemy's hand. She was safe in the medical bay and that's where she'd stay.

"Mistress?" The voice was very hushed. She couldn't see anything, but she could barely hear it. "I would recommend that you keep quiet until they leave the ship alone. We aren't going to have much of a chance of escaping, especially if they find you."

"...The medical bay? But Atalanta has no medical bay. Did the mechanics install one while you were aboard Avenger...?"

Brynn paled, her stomach dropping. "Of-of course it has one...it always has..." Then her voice trailed off. She curled up a little tighter.

"...Sweetheart, just come out to the landing ramp. Don't you want to see me...for me to see you...to be together? Come out and meet me..."

She could hear the ship settle down on the battleship's deck, the loud sound of metal against metal ringing throughout the corridor. Idris would know where the medical bay was, wouldn't he? He'd taken her there before. Squeezing her eyes shut, she didn't respond this time, listening instead to the sound of the ship. Her hands clasped one another as she forced her eyes open and stared off into the dark space.

"...Brynn, are you coming? Please...I want to see you...don't you want to see me? I want to hold you in my arms again. Please, please come out. Come down to the deck and I'll keep you safe..."

"You know where I'm at," she whispered softly to the voice, wincing as the voice pleaded with her. Brynn couldn't hide the distrust in her voice, the nervousness that made the edges of her words shake.

"...Yes, I do...but why do I need to come find you? Don't you want to see me...don't you want to hold me. That's what you told me...you said you wanted me here. I am here...just come outside and I promise, you'll get what you want..."

"Of course I want...I..." Brynn felt herself begin to move, and then stopped herself. "But you can come find me. You know where I'm at. So come to me. You said you'd give me what I want...I want you to come to me." She continued to speak in a hushed tone, keeping herself as quiet as possible. She could hear the sound of whirring, of the landing ramp settling down on the deck below. Then there were footsteps. She could hear voices.

"Find the girl! We know she is here somewhere!"

"...Brynn...Sweetheart? Are you still there? It's alright, no one is going to hurt you...just come to me and everything will be alright..."

Gasping as she heard the voice searching for "the girl," she backed up further into the wall and waited. "I told you..." She whispered, and then stopped when she realized she didn't want to alert whoever had boarded the ship.

"Did you hear something?" A woman's voice again.

"No, Ma'am." The sound of another man, but it sounded familiar.

A long pause. "Keep searching. Scan the entire ship. Tear it apart if you have to. She is here...somewhere!"

"...Brynn? Why aren't you coming...I don't understand..."

Brynn closed her eyes, wishing that doing so would help her stay hidden. She pressed a hand to her forehead as she continued to wait it out, listening to that voice. "Stop..." She whispered, her voice barely audible, even to herself.

Then she heard Ophelia's voice. "You are not authorized to access this vessel. If you do not comply with the security provisions in place aboard this craft, you will be terminated. Your search is futile as all of my passengers have already escaped."

That woman again. "Oh, come now, Ophelia. You know quite well that I am not an idiot. I know that the fire girl is here. Tell me where she is and I'll let you go."

"Let me go? That is the most absurd concept I have ever heard, even from a creature like you. If you think you have some hold over me, you are quite mistaken. I answer only to Captain Chariton and his companion. You shall not be warned again. I am quite capable of defending this vessel on my own."

Leaning her head back against the wall, she listened. Taking deep, slow, quiet breaths she stared up into darkness.

A man's voice. "The vessel appears to be abandoned. Perhaps the computer is telling the truth Ma'am?"

Silence.

There was a loud noise against the wall in front of her. Then the noise of something sliding against the metal. "Anyone else care to offer up their insights?"