By My Side, Always

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Emma was stunned. This was huge! Personal publicity and marketing were so expensive, and Dennis was offering it to her for free! Getting backing of this kind could really be a springboard for her career!

He raised his glass, and she did as well. The wine was pretty good though she had no experience with it or any alcohol for that matter. Her family weren't drinkers.

"This could launch a new career for you!" he said, supporting her own thoughts. They toasted again, then she ordered dinner. Dennis had the same.

Dennis peppered her with questions about growing up on a farm and living in such a small town. She discovered another glass of wine, and she raised more toasts.

They talked until closing, and she was tipsy from the three glasses of wine he'd ordered for her, so they shared a taxi back to her place.

"I'm really proud of you and thankful you helped us today so magnificently," he said as the cab stopped by her front door.

"Thank you so much for your confidence in me. I really appreciate it, and I'm looking forward to the classes tomorrow."

"I'll see you there!" he said with a grin and leaned forward to hug her. She let out an involuntary sigh, feeling his arms around her, and he gave her a peck on the lips before opening her door. She stepped out and walked to her door, wobbling just a little, her gym bag hanging from her shoulder as she looked back. He pointed to the door, indicating he was waiting for her to be safely inside.

She fumbled with her keys and felt someone walk up behind her. She turned and saw the tall, dark, and handsome man waiting for her to open the door.

"Hey, Chico! Back off!" Dennis said, surging out of the cab.

The man turned to Dennis and locked eyes with him. "I live here."

Emma blinked as his deep voice kick-started her memory. "Raphael! I'm so sorry, my brain isn't working too well right now." She looked to Dennis, who'd paused halfway across the sidewalk. "It's okay, Dennis. Raphael is my neighbor. I'll see you tomorrow."

Dennis got back into the cab with a final glance at Raphael and drove away.

"Do you have your keys?" Raphael asked Emma.

"Yes, but I guess I'm a little tipsy. I couldn't find it on the ring," Emma said.

Raphael used his key and got them inside. She needed his help to make it up the stairs, too.

"You seem more than tipsy," he remarked as he got her to her door.

Emma looked up at Raphael and, not for the first time, admired his sensual mouth. Sam was a lucky girl.

Mouth. Something about her mouth. Wait, did Dennis kiss her?

-=-

Sam heard Raphael's voice and opened her door. When she saw Emma leaning against the wall next to her door, she rushed over with a concerned look.

"I don't drink. But we were celebrating tonight," Emma said with a smile.

"You and Gary?" Sam asked and looked past them.

"I don't think so unless Gary is a musclebound mouth-breather," Raphael said to Sam.

Emma looked at him in surprise. "Dennis isn't like that!"

Raphael looked into her glassy eyes. "You told him you don't drink, but he insisted?"

"To celebrate my good fortune," Emma said weakly.

He looked at Sam. "When I stood behind Emma waiting to get in, this bro called me Chico, told me to back off, and began to come at me."

Emma shook her head. "He-he was just being protective." She blinked. "He called you Chico?"

Raphael shook his head wearily as he was done trying to explain. He had little patience for drunks these days. Besides, he knew a racist bro when he faced one. "I'm tired and hungry. Goodnight."

He walked past and went into their apartment with a final look at Sam.

The pretty blonde took Emma's hand. "Where's Gary?"

"He's having dinner with Selina Moreno. I was supposed to go with him, but this opportunity at work came up."

Sam blinked at Emma. She passed up dinner with a legendary singer to work? "What was the opportunity?"

"I got to lead the largest classes in the most coveted time slots. More money, and it went so well Dennis is thinking about doing an advertising campaign spotlighting me. This is huge for my career!" Emma said with a smile, then it dropped away. "Dennis didn't tell me what happened to Yvonne!" she said in frustration.

"Who's Yvonne?"

Emma looked at her. "She's the one whose classes I led. Dennis said something about Yvonne being in a car accident." She suddenly frowned. "God, I must sound awful calling this an opportunity!"

"It's sad news for her, but someone has to lead the classes. It does sound like it will help your career. Good for you!" Sam said and watched Emma's smile return, but it was shaky. Best to change the topic.

"Can I ask how Gary knows Selina Moreno?" Sam said carefully.

Emma nodded with a grin. "Did you hear her latest song on the radio?"

"My Soul, Your Sanctuary! Yeah, it's an awesome new version!" Sam gushed.

Emma's smile got wider. "That was Gary playing the guitar."

Sam's jaw dropped. "Oh my god! He's really good! I thought he was going to be an accountant!"

Emma nodded. "He is. Music is something he does to relax. But Selina wants to do a studio album with him." A huge yawn forced its way out of her as she rested back against the wall.

Question time was obviously over. "Let's get you inside before you fall asleep," Sam suggested and used Emma's keys to open the door for her. Once Emma was inside, Sam left her keys on the table just inside the door. "Emma, lock up behind me."

The woman turned and nodded, so Sam stepped into the hall and pulled the door closed. When she heard the lock snick closed, she relaxed, went to her door, and went inside, locking it behind her.

She turned to see Raphael standing in his underwear in the kitchen, eating the sandwich she'd prepared for him. He smiled gratefully at her.

"Thank you for dinner," he sighed.

"You could pack a dinner and take it with you," she suggested.

Raphael shook his head. "Too many thieves at work."

The meatpacking plant wasn't the gentlest part-time job a man could have, but Raphael was used to hard manual labor and was more aware of the dangers around him than most.

After his last bite, Sam walked up to him and wrapped her arms around his gorgeous body. That sent a zing through her own.

"Did you hear that Selina Moreno song on the radio?" she asked.

"Is that the one with the mystery guitarist? I heard the others talking about it at work," he said.

"It's Gary."

Raphael pulled back a little to look into her eyes. "What? The guitarist? That's our neighbor?"

Sam smiled and nodded. "And Selina Moreno wants to do a studio album with him. He's having dinner with her tonight. Emma was supposed to go too, but she had to work."

Raphael hugged the beauty to his chest as he thought about that. He wasn't one to get involved in other people's drama, but maybe Gary could use a heads up about the man getting his girl drunk. He was surprised the bro didn't try to get her inside to make a move on her.

"Little tight. You're squeezing me," Sam squeaked.

"Oh! I'm sorry!" he said, releasing her.

Sam smiled wickedly. "You'll just have to make it up to me somehow."

Raphael snorted softly, then Sam was over his shoulder as he carried her to the bedroom. He knew what she wanted.

He knew just how she wanted it, too.

-=-

Emma stood facing the empty apartment and felt a little sad. She also felt guilty about celebrating her success because of someone else's misfortune.

She was also feeling guilty about enjoying being hugged by Dennis, and then there was that kiss.

It wasn't anything, really. Just a little congratulations kiss between friends. But he shouldn't have done it. She knew if she hadn't been drunk, she would have stopped him.

Emma recalled Raphael's disapproval of Dennis giving her alcohol. She winced as she kind of agreed with him. She should have said no. She could have toasted with water.

Glancing at the clock, she realized how late it was. Gary wasn't home, but he was likely having a good time with Selina and Greg.

More guilt washed over her. She should have been there for him. But if she had, she would have missed the chance to really shine at work.

Besides, Gary knew she had to go. He told her to.

Confused and exhausted, she wandered across the room to lie down on the couch to wait for Gary. She immediately sat up, and the room spun.

When it stopped, she took a deep breath over the cushions, and there it was.

Perfume.

Emma didn't wear perfume. Who did Gary bring back to their apartment--Jasmine! The woman was sniffing around after Gary at the grocery store. She probably offered to help him carry the groceries home!

Something Emma should have done.

She pushed herself to her feet. Her mind was traveling in circles, and the waves of guilt and suspicion weren't making her feel better.

Time to go to bed.

Alone.

Chapter 5

Gary woke up on a couch feeling a soft weight resting on his body. His morning wood pressed against that softness, and he stretched languidly, thinking it was Emma.

When he put his hands on her body, he suddenly realized she was too well-cushioned to be Emma.

He jolted to full awareness and looked down his body to see Jasmine smiling up at him sleepily.

"Uh, may I get up, please?" he said softly, as he could see Selina and Greg sleeping on the opposite couch.

She reluctantly slid off, enjoying the feel of his hard body.

As Gary lurched to his feet, he bumped into the coffee table, rattling some glassware in his haste. Wine glasses for Selina, Greg, and Jasmine with a regular water glass for him. He glanced at the wall clock and relaxed as he still had time to go home and grab a shower before he began visiting clients for bookkeeping.

"Sorry, good morning! I have to go. I-I hadn't planned on staying over," he stammered.

Selina stretched like a cat in a sunbeam and grinned at him. "Last night was so amazing! I haven't felt this creatively charged in years!" She looked at Greg. "How many songs did we get through?"

Greg was still rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He was obviously not a morning person. "Uh... eight--no, nine... I think," he grunted.

"Not counting the new one?" Selina said happily.

Greg bobbed his head. "Right. Not counting that one." He yawned hugely.

Selina's smile was extra wide. "When can we get together to do the studio album?"

Gary reviewed his busy week schedule. Today, he'd visit his clients, and this was exam week, so it would have to wait until the weekend. Then he realized Saturday wasn't reserved for Emma-time as she had those new shifts.

"Uh, I guess Saturday is open now. I--we have exams this week, so it will have to wait until then." He held Jasmine's eye, and she nodded as she knew he was telling her to concentrate on that, not teasing him.

She looked to their hosts. "Thank you for an amazing evening. Watching the creative process was breathtaking! I look forward to listening to the finished album!" Jasmine sighed happily, and Selina gave her a thrilled smile in return.

Gary and Jasmine pulled on their jackets, said their goodbyes, and headed out into the early morning light.

As they walked, Gary glanced over at the smug little smile on Jasmine's face and wondered what that was about. "Listen, I'm sorry about that whole sleeping on the couch thing."

"I'm not. I enjoyed the night, especially how I woke up," the woman grinned.

"Jasmine, I'm with Emma," he said firmly, and she just nodded with a sly smile.

They said their goodbyes at the subway, and Gary went home. As he let himself into the apartment, he spotted Emma sitting at the kitchen table, the empty laundry bag at her feet.

He hung up his jacket and went to her. "Good morning. Sorry about last night. Selina was so enthusiastic about jamming that we lost track of time and fell asleep on her couches." He felt a stab of guilt for Jasmine's taking the liberty of sleeping on him. Emma stood to face him, and he saw she was looking a little rough this morning. "Hey, are you okay?"

When he got close, Emma pulled back as she picked up the scent of Jasmine's perfume all over his body! Her expression darkened. "Why do you smell like perfume? Why does our couch?"

Gary leaned back in surprise at her sharp tone. "Jasmine helped me bring the groceries home yesterday as I had too much to carry. We had lunch and talked all afternoon as she had nothing better to do. I invited her to go with me to Selina's as I didn't want to go alone. I'm sorry about the perfume. You know I don't like the smell either."

"Why didn't you come home last night?" Emma was still upset.

Gary shook his head. Hadn't he just explained that? He looked closer at Emma. "We played music until sometime after two in the morning and flaked out in the living room. Everyone but me was drinking wine." He saw Emma flinch and wondered what that was for.

He was about to ask when her cell on the kitchen table rang. They glanced down, and there was Dennis' sweaty torso again.

Emma scooped it up, her face burning with embarrassment, and answered.

"Good morning, Dennis." Emma listened for a bit, then glanced at Gary. "Yes, I can be there. Thank you so much! See you then." She hung up and looked at Gary.

"What was that?" he asked.

"I was a hit in the new classes I took over. It was such a huge success with the clients that Dennis is going to do an ad campaign featuring me."

"That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" he gushed but felt a twinge of jealousy because another man was responsible for it. He forced that down. He moved forward to kiss her, but Emma put a hand on his chest and her other one over her nose.

"Oh! Right. Sorry about the perfume. I-I'm gonna go take a shower." He stopped to smile at her. "Would you like to join me?"

"I-I can't. I need to get the laundry before heading out to meet Dennis at the photo studio," she said awkwardly. He just nodded as she headed to the door.

When the door thumped closed, Gary sighed and turned to walk into the bathroom. He really wanted to get out of these clothes as they reminded him of Jasmine... and how good she felt lying across his body.

It was Gary's turn to feel his face burning.

Maybe that would wash off in the shower too.

-=-

Dennis stood in the photographer's outer office as the man prepared the studio. He'd used his buddy Dino's service before, but the billboard near the gym and the bus shelters in strategic locations in the nearby business district would cost him quite a bit. This had to go smoothly.

The key selling feature of this ad was Emma. She epitomized the youth, vitality, and health his gym was selling. The trouble was, Dennis also needed her sex appeal, and the girl was a prude.

Emma was beautiful, and her smile was instantly enchanting. Everyone who came to the gym said they felt drawn to her friendly, open nature. The fitness gear she wore was tight, but it didn't show off her body as blatantly as it could or, in his opinion, should.

Dennis picked up uniforms that she and he would wear for this shoot, which added an extra zing to the photos. His task would be convincing Emma to play along. He was wearing his already, so to be a team player, she should too.

"Okay, all set. All we need now is the girl," Dino said as he smiled at his friend.

Dennis nodded. "The pictures should emphasize youth, vitality, and virility. We want sexy and happy but don't make any references to sexiness, or we'll lose Emma. She's a tight-ass in more ways than one."

"Yeah, I got it. We'll be classy and healthy," Dino said. He looked to the front door. "Where is she? I have a swimwear shoot to do after yours. Time is money."

Dennis held up his hands to calm the man as the front door opened. Emma rushed in, slightly out of breath from running.

"Okay, I'll be in the studio. Change rooms are in the hall leading to the back. Let's go!"

Dennis grinned at Emma, who smiled in return. Her eyes went to his new fitness wear.

"That's a new look for you," she said, dragging her eyes away from some obvious bulges.

"It's for the shoot," he said with a smile glancing down at himself. "I have one for you."

Emma blinked at him. "What? What's wrong with my usual outfit?" she asked nervously.

"Nothing! This is for the campaign. We're promoting youth, health, and vitality. There will likely be a rebranding with a new color scheme. This is all part of the marketing. It looks good, yes?" Dennis said as he grinned happily.

Emma couldn't help but return his smile as he looked like a kid in a candy shop. "Fine," she sighed dramatically.

Dennis handed her the bag containing her outfit. "I'll meet you in the studio. Don't take too long. We only have Dino for an hour."

They walked into the back, and Dennis pointed to the change room as he continued on his way. He could almost feel her eyes on his ass.

He restrained the urge to flex his glutes. Barely.

-=-

Emma stood in the change room eyeing the uniform hesitantly as the top was barely more than a dark purple bra and the French Cut bottoms looked like they'll be too small.

She frowned but stripped down and pulled the fitness outfit on. Staring at herself in the mirror, she admitted she looked good, but this was more skin than she felt comfortable showing in public. Fighting her misgivings, she walked down the hall to enter the studio. It was bright, airy, and very professional, making her a little more comfortable. It was also a little too chilly. She wrapped her arms around her chest to warm up. Dennis was standing on the set, a green screen with no visible edges. He grinned at her and gestured her over quickly, and she marched over to stand next to him.

She planted her feet, her fists on her hips in a defiant pose as she looked at Dennis.

The strobes went off, and she blinked. She hadn't been ready. She held up her hands towards the photographer. "Hold on! I'm not ready, and I can't wear this. It's much too revealing, and I'm not comfortable showing this much. I'm going to put on my own gear."

Before Dennis could argue, she turned and marched away. She needed to stand up for herself, so that's what she was going to do.

-=-

Dennis watched Emma march away and tried not to drool at how incredible her ass looked in the new gear.

He heard a sound and saw Dino gesturing for him to come over quickly. He went to stand next to the man. "What's up?"

"I can't believe it, but I got a killer shot of her body in one try. The problem is her face. Her expression is too grim. If you can make her smile, I can merge her smiling head on this body, and you'll have a winning shot for the billboard," Dino explained.

"You can do that?" Dennis asked, and the photographer nodded. "That would be perfect! How quickly can you get the billboard done?"

Dino smiled. "I have a guy who can have it ready by the end of the week."

"Perfect!" Dennis said.

When Emma returned to the studio, she looked far more comfortable.

"Let's have some fun with this!" Dennis said and immediately struck the same defiant pose Emma had done, and she hopped next to him and copied the pose. The strobes went off, and Dennis went through a series of exaggerated body builder poses as Emma struggled to match him while Dino took the pictures. She laughed at how enthusiastic and goofy he was being.

"Tone it down, funny boy. Let's get some nice smiles now," Dino called out, and their poses became more natural as well. The flash caught their antics until the photographer called out to stop.

Dino walked over to Emma with two clipboards in his hand. He handed one to Dennis. "That was amazing. Emma, with your smile, you could sell anything. If you ever get bored with Dennis and his fitness gig, give me a call as you'd be an amazing model!" He gave her the clipboard.

She smiled happily at him and glanced down at the form. Dino gestured to it. "This is a standard model release form. Take it with you when you change and leave the signed copy on the front desk when you head out." She nodded and walked away to put on her warmer clothes.

1...34567...12