By My Side, Always

Story Info
Young lovers face big challenges in the Big Apple.
41.2k words
4.89
57.8k
187

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/26/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,884 Followers

Author's Notes:

'By My Side, Always' is the second part of a story following the developing relationship of Gary Truman and Emma Patricks, two young adults embarking on a new life in the big city.

The chronological order of the stories is:

  • By My Side
  • By My Side, Always

Minimal effort is made in this tale to explain the backstory, so please read them in order.

All characters engaging in sexual relationships or activities are 18 years old or older.

********

Chapter 1

Gary sighed as he saved his file and shut down the application he used to track their household budget.

The numbers didn't lie.

Their expenses, which included rent, food, transportation (subway fares), minimal clothing purchases, and a very minimal entertainment allotment, were consuming most of his and Emma's limited income leaving very little to put into the bank.

Living in New York City took too big a bite out of their savings.

His ability to pay for his second year at city college was in jeopardy.

When they'd moved from their small town to the big city, Gary's plan to pay for his dream was all plotted out. His first year of courses had been paid for as a graduation gift from his mother. He had a part-time job lined up and the apartment they were living in now.

What he'd failed to truly understand was just how expensive everything was here. The extra income Emma brought in from her job as a trainer in a Manhattan fitness club certainly helped, but it wasn't much. It barely covered the additional costs for her part of the food, clothing, and subway fares.

They found ways to reduce their expenses. They eliminated their apartment's cable TV, telephone, and Internet service. They retained their cell plans but minimized their usage and took advantage of open WiFi connections when they could. For entertainment, they went for long walks to explore their new city. They worked out at home and ran together to maintain their fitness.

In truth, this was only for Gary's benefit, as Emma's job kept her in peak condition. Gary's less athletic occupation of bookkeeping and accounting had him sitting for extended periods, so he welcomed the exercise. It certainly beat the grueling chores he'd done on the family farm every morning.

Speaking of family, he kept in touch with his mother by email, filling her in on his day-to-day in his new life. She was becoming quite adept with social media, and he got a chuckle following her life-on-a-farm vlog though he was one of very few subscribers. Watching her navigate her day on the farm was wonderful.

As for the rest of his family, they treated him like he'd just stepped off the planet's surface. That made him a little sad, but it wasn't like he'd been that close to them while he was there.

In sharp contrast to him, Emma kept in touch with her entire family via email. He smiled as that fact wasn't surprising due to how open and cheerful she was. He didn't know anyone who didn't immediately become enthralled by her. From her dazzlingly blue eyes, her button nose with the sprinkle of freckles across its bridge and cheekbones, he could spend hours just watching her expressions change. She also had a sleek and svelte body from her active life. Her beautiful, long red hair was habitually worn in a ponytail hanging down her back to just above the world's most perfect ass and her long, exquisitely toned legs. He was smitten, and anyone who spent any time with her usually was too.

This gave Gary some anxiety as they spent so many hours apart, and she spent her day working around some very physically attractive men. He'd visited her workplace... once. That was enough to convince him he was better off not comparing his body to theirs. While he was lean and hard-muscled, he certainly didn't have their muscle mass.

He knew Emma loved him, but a little voice in his head did its best to tell him that he wasn't worthy, and she deserved better in life. He struggled with that and did his best to hide his insecurities from her.

He shut down his laptop and looked across the small table into her blue eyes. She pouted out her lower lip and forced a chuckle out of him with her sweet expression. She instantly smiled at his happy sounds.

"So, it isn't as bad as it looks?" she asked, hopefully.

He gave her a wry grin. "We're not about to be evicted and have to live on the street, so that's a positive."

She snorted as Gary slumped back in the chair. He was struggling to think of another way to earn some cash. He had the part-time bookkeeping job he'd arranged before moving to the city, and that was good. He also did bookkeeping for several local businesses, but each was for small amounts. The time required to manage all these separate clients, plus the time his schooling took, left him with very little personal time. That time he wanted to spend with Emma. He was guarding that jealously, but if he didn't find a way to save more for his second year of college, his plan would come crashing down.

His smile slipped again.

Emma glanced at the clock and smiled. "We still have time to visit Rocky's before they start."

This lifted Gary's spirits as he gazed at the beauty across the table. She knew exactly what he needed to help him unwind. "Yeah. Let's go."

Gary went into the bedroom and returned with his guitar case. The old Gibson guitar they'd found in the apartment when they moved in had become his most cherished possession. Its rich sound and responsiveness blew him away, and he got so much joy from playing it.

Thursday nights were open mic nights at their local bar, Rocky's. While they couldn't drink in the bar due to being underage, they were allowed to participate in the entertainment.

The owner and namesake for the bar was a gruff, older Italian gentleman with a steel-grey buzzcut who seemed to know everyone in the neighborhood. He'd heard good things about the level-headed young man doing bookkeeping work for some locals.

They let themselves out of the apartment and locked up before taking the stairs down to the street to walk the block and a half to the bar. They enjoyed the spring warmth of the May evening.

Rocky was there at the bar and walked over to shake Gary's hand. He nodded to them and gestured for one of his workers to set up a small table next to the corner of the stage with one chair for Emma.

When they'd first visited the bar, Gary had been looking for a way to deal with his stage fright, and playing for a tiny audience of regulars in the local bar seemed like a safe way to start. For open mic night, the talent could play their own instruments, or if they were singers, there was a karaoke machine.

After Rocky heard Gary play, he'd offered to let Gary accompany singers who didn't want to use the machine. Most opted for having Gary play as they sang.

In compensation, Emma would get to sit next to the stage, and they both could have free soft drinks. As neither were big fans of the sweet beverages, they typically opted for ice water, which was all the better for Rocky.

Tonight, as Gary climbed the steps up to the stage, he was overly aware that the bar was busier than usual. There were only a couple of empty tables left. He glanced at Rocky and saw the wide smile on the man's face. He was obviously pleased with the turnout as everyone had a drink in front of them. Gary took a seat at the side of the stage and felt all of those eyes watching him. A shiver went down his spine. Then his eyes locked on Emma's after she glanced back at the crowd as well. He could see she was aware of his nervousness, but she gave him a loving smile, and he felt her confidence boost his.

Taking a deep breath, he returned her smile and mouthed, "I love you."

Her smile widened, and he felt that warmth flow through him. She said she loved him too, and that gave him strength. He opened his guitar case and did a little quiet tuning. He knew Rocky liked him to warm up the audience with his own playing before others came on stage. He'd been practicing a song, and he felt he'd achieved sufficient skill to do it here.

He moved the mic stand closer to his guitar and looked at Rocky.

The man nodded and climbed up the stairs to face the tables. The volume dropped as people looked up at the gruff-looking man in the dark suit.

"Welcome to Rocky's Open Mic Night. It looks like an excellent turnout tonight, so I hope you're ready to get up here on stage and show us your stuff!" The audience chuckled at his suggestive winking. Rocky pointed to a man laughing a little too loudly. "Hey! By stuff, I mean talent!" He paused for the chuckles. "By talent, I mean your skills." More giggles. "Singing and playing, you delinquents!" Rocky finally cracked a smile, and the audience smiled back.

"To start off our evening, Gary Truman will play a couple of tunes for you. Take it away, Gary." Rocky left the stage, and eyes turned toward the man with a guitar.

Taking a deep breath, Gary tilted the mic closer to his mouth. He looked out over the crowd but focused on no one. "Good evening. I'm going to play for you Asturias by Isaac Albéniz. Thank you." He moved the mic back down to his guitar.

He looked into Emma's loving eyes and felt himself center once more. He closed his eyes, calmed his mind, and began.

There was only the guitar, his hands, and the music.

-=-

Before the bar's manager stepped onto the stage, a tall, broad-shouldered blond man entered the bar and spotted the one he hoped to see setting up to play his guitar. He scanned his eyes across the busy tables, catching the attention of two men sitting at separate tables to the left and right of center stage. Both nodded to him. He returned the gesture, then stepped back outside. He had a call to make.

-=-

Gary surfaced from the flamenco piece to the sound of applause. He saw Emma's cheeks were wet, and her grin was wide, so she must have enjoyed it.

He smiled at her, then nodded to the audience. "My next song is a familiar one, and you know the words, so feel free to sing along."

The initial light and cheerful notes of Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles put smiles on the faces of everyone. As several of the audience members intended to get up on stage tonight, this was a welcome warm-up where they could sing without the stress of being on stage.

Gary was inside the music again, but he surfaced from time to time to grin at the audience, who were truly enjoying themselves with the song. The mix of vocal styles was interesting, and he nodded to them with an impressed look before finishing up with the final notes.

The applause this time wasn't just for Gary, and he clapped for the audience, too.

Rocky climbed back on stage and moved to the mic as he clapped. "Thanks, Gary, incredible as ever. We're ready for our next performer, who is...." He glanced at the slip of paper in his hand. "Tracey Mulholland. Just as a reminder to the performers, you can use the karaoke machine or ask Gary to provide the music. Thanks, and enjoy!"

He climbed down from the stage, and a slim blonde with an outrageously large head of curly blonde hair joined Gary. She pointed to the machine, and Gary nodded to her. The light dimmed over Gary, and he felt himself relaxing. He smiled down at Emma, and they turned to enjoy Tracey's singing.

When she started to belt out the show tune, Gary felt like he was facing a hurricane, but at least she was in tune.

Not every act tonight would be.

-=-

An hour went by, and Gary played for most of the singers who came up on stage, which was fun! Two of the singers played their own guitars, and he got to just sit back and enjoy their numbers. One was pretty good in Gary's estimation.

He was enjoying a little break between performers, sipping his ice water, when a tall, blonde man slipped up to the stage to speak to him.

"Excuse me," the man said. "Do you know any Selina Moreno songs?"

Gary nodded. "There's only one I'd feel comfortable enough to play in front of an audience; My Soul, Your Sanctuary. It's one of her original hits and has such a beautiful intro." He eyed the man who was smiling and nodding. "Will you be singing it?"

The man smiled and looked relieved but shook his head. "My girlfriend is up next, and she'd really like to sing one of those songs. The one you mentioned would be perfect. Thanks!"

Gary glanced past the man at his girlfriend, but her face was hidden in the shadow of her hoodie. Shy but getting on stage? "Good for her!" he thought. He nodded to the boyfriend, but the man had already turned to speak into the hood, then moved to a table in the middle of the club.

The woman moved to the stairs and climbed up to stand before the microphone. She turned to face Gary and nodded to him.

He took some deep breaths to calm his mind, then began to play the intro. The audience stirred gently as they recognized the powerful ballad, but they'd never heard it played like this.

Gary immersed himself in the song, playing it with his own style, a little slower and with a more emotive touch. His eyes were closed, and he felt his way through the intricate melody.

He was unaware the woman was watching him and didn't see her nod to her grinning boyfriend.

She moved up to the mic and began to sing, matching the emotional tone of Gary's guitar, and everyone went silent. Gary continued to play as the woman's voice intertwined with his guitar perfectly.

It was magic!

-=-

Emma sat at her stage-level table, stunned as she recognized the singer was Selina Moreno. Glancing at the audience, she realized she was the only one close enough to see under the hood. The silent audience was stunned by how good the woman was.

Looking at Gary, she could see he was giving himself over to his talent, and once more, she was amazed at how deeply he connected to music. It never failed to send tingles through her when he did this.

Thinking of how they made love after he charged himself up like this also sent a thrill through her. She couldn't wait to get him back to the apartment!

-=-

When the song finally ended on a lingering yet sweet note, Gary opened his eyes and smiled down at Emma once more, but she was staring at the woman. He noticed the audience was applauding wildly. He turned his head and saw the hood had been pushed back.

Selina Moreno was a beautiful woman with a warm olive complexion. Her straight and famously long raven hair was currently hidden inside the sweater she was wearing. She was tall and slim with graceful hands wearing many rings. Those hands were pressed palm-to-palm as if praying before the dazzling smile she aimed at him. Her lovely hazel eyes showed her joy.

He smiled as now it made sense to him how well she knew the music and how effortless it had been to play for her. She was a true professional. He smiled and nodded to her.

Gary wasn't one to become star-struck as he thought elevating celebrities above everyone else was dumb, but he was honored to have been able to share the experience with someone as talented as her.

Rocky quickly climbed up the stairs to stand next to Selina and leaned toward the mic. "Thank you for an unforgettable evening. Tonight's Open Mic Night is over. Thank you!"

-=-

Gary and Emma joined Selina, her boyfriend and keyboardist, Greg Yossman, and her manager, Steffano Mancini, at a table in the back. Selina's security ensured they weren't disturbed by over-zealous fans, but the crowd was surprisingly well-behaved. Emma grinned at Gary when Rocky posed for a photo with Selina for his bar.

"What are you drinking?" Greg asked the young couple.

"Water," Gary and Rocky said together, then shared a chuckle.

Gary explained. "We're not twenty-one yet."

Selina gave Gary a stunned look. "How old are you?"

He smiled at her. "Nineteen. We're nineteen."

"You play like that, and you're only nineteen? There is such an emotional depth to your playing. Most don't get that until they've matured well past their teens and twenties, for that matter!" Selina exclaimed.

Emma grinned at her. "Gary's an old man in a young man's body."

"Hey!" he complained, but she hugged him and gave him a kiss which put a smile back on his face.

Selina just shook her head in amazement. "Greg has been checking out open mic nights at a bunch of clubs around the city looking for fresh blood for our band. He heard you play before and came back to see if you'd be here. He called me when he spotted you on the stage, and I rushed over."

Stefano leaned forward. "You definitely have talent, and you're a great match for Selina's voice. I think you'd make an excellent lead guitar for her band."

Emma's eyes widened in surprise and excitement.

Gary felt his body tensing up at the accelerated pace of the conversation. "I just play because I enjoy it, it relaxes me, and I'm not really interested in playing professionally. This small venue was about the extent of my ambition. I'm honored by the offer, but I'm going to have to decline."

Stefano stared at Gary in shock. "It's such a waste of talent to keep it hidden." He looked over at Emma. "Talk some sense into your boyfriend."

Gary looked at Emma. "Marlene thought I was wasting my talent, too."

Emma's smile softened as she recalled the pressure his old flame put on Gary's shoulders. She took Gary's hand. "The music is Gary's, and he'll decide what he'll do with it. I'm proud of his drive and ambition to be an accountant, and I know he'll be the best at that. He's already getting lots of work experience and does auditing for several businesses in the neighborhood."

Stefano snorted in frustration and seemed ready to walk away.

Selina was disappointed but took one of Stefano's cards from his pocket to write a number on the back. She handed it to Gary. "This is my personal number. If you should change your mind, and I pray that you do, please call me." She aimed a final regretful smile at him. "Thank you for tonight."

Gary smiled and nodded to her. She gathered Greg and her security people guided them outside.

Rocky looked at Gary in surprise. "That's opportunity walking out that door."

Gary just nodded to the man, who shrugged and returned to the bar.

"Are you disappointed I'm not using my music to make a living?" Gary asked Emma.

She shook her head and smiled at him. "You need to be true to yourself and your music. If that's not what you believe is your path, don't follow it." She kissed his cheek. "I'm pooped, and I want to go home."

Gary smiled and nodded, grabbed his guitar case, and held his elbow out for her.

-=-

"I'll be right there. I need to speak to Stefano for a second," Greg said to Selina, who just nodded glumly and crawled into the back of the limo.

Greg moved to Stefano's side. "Did you get the recording?"

The man smiled and pointed to the two audio men he brought along. Slung over their shoulders were satchels containing high-end audio recorders, and both nodded that their recordings were good.

"She needs this! Keep me posted," Greg said to the manager, then hustled back to the limo.

Greg would do anything to make Selina happy.

-=-

Gary tucked the guitar case in the bedroom's corner and smiled as he recalled playing for Selina. She was leaps and bounds better than anyone else he's accompanied before. He'd really enjoyed playing for a professional.

He was also proud of how he'd managed to cope in the crowded club. There had to have been close to sixty people there, which was at least triple the normal turnout.

For just a moment, he imagined what it might be like to be on stage with Selina on tour in a stadium in front of tens of thousands of people. His blood ran cold.

Shit. He wasn't over it yet. He trembled and jumped when Emma wrapped her arms around him from behind.

BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,884 Followers