All Comments on 'C.A.R.P. (Ch. 01 of 13)'

by CorruptingPower

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
OftenRomanticOftenRomanticabout 1 year ago

CP, DUDE! I'm interested, hooked, but with nothing more to read! Great job creating backstory and motivation while leaving us desiring more. Looking forward to the next 12 chapters with great anticipation and expectations.

NEthingGozeNEthingGozeabout 1 year ago

interesting opening, reminds me of The Harrad Experiment by Robert Rimmer.

SilvermireSilvermireabout 1 year ago

Good start, you baited the hook well.

ag2507ag2507about 1 year ago

Your reference to Stoppard's quote reminded me of Akebourne's House and Garden where every exit in the one play was an entrance in the other. Akeborn's theatrical innovations get less play because he wrote comedy than Stoppard who didn't.

lunchbox90lunchbox90about 1 year ago

Damn it, you hooked me.

Looking forward to the next 12 chapters.

The_Crazy_OneThe_Crazy_Oneabout 1 year ago

Ok I wonder where this is going.

notbatmannotbatmanabout 1 year ago

Intriguing start, looking forward to more...

Denison116Denison116about 1 year ago

Nice start. You've hooked me

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Dr beulahthemick; Decent start, but remember what I was told when I started at uni, if you sign the Official Secrets Act, you are duty bound to copy everything and publish the lot on the web. FBI, CIA, MI5, etc do not care about ordinary people, just those at the top and ensure that they stay at the top. Leak, leak and spill the beans.

HornySpartanHornySpartanabout 1 year ago

Great start! Hooked already, hope we don't have to wait too long for the next chapters!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

As with most of your work it's well written and the idea is intriguing.

But,

I'm wondering how often you'll get around to posting chapters of your (several) other stories I'm following, to many irons in the fire can lead to lackadaisical attention to the individual pieces.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading but I do enjoy having regular updates as apposed to regular expansion.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This is a very attractive lure. Well cast and jiggled just perfectly. I am hooked , just like the previous commentators

LitCritLitCritabout 1 year ago

Hmmm, intriguing? Interesting proposition, intense foreshadowing, let's see where it goes next. 4 stars for the opening, because it doesn't quite settle into the tale seamlessly, but I'll keep reading. BTW - you may have dug yourself into a hole in the Quaranteam Sagas, going in too many directions at once and trying to keep too many story lines alive. And there REALLY is a limit to how many women a man, even an enhanced man, can successfully service.

vanyevanyeabout 1 year ago

A college with classes every day? That it sounds like all the students will be attending? That's certainly an unusual college.

Robbb_FangRobbb_Fangabout 1 year ago

I am hooked, looking forward to more chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This line made me laugh, because that's exactly what happened to my back: "Teachers used to give me shit about it, how I was going to pull my back one day if I didn't wear the backpack on both shoulders like it was intended."

Before that, you made me question my sanity for a moment when you said not to worry if I hadn't heard of Canton, OH. I had to do a quick Google search to confirm that the Pro Football Hall of Fame really is in Canton...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

@vanye - The main reason that the college class structure differs to greatly from high school is the variety of classes and majors they offer. A college with limited class and major options would be more efficient using the high school format to limit the number of sessions a professor needs to teach for any particular class.

I also struggle with stories that are clearly written by somebody who hasn't attended college and writes it like the high school format they are familiar with, but this seems to be more of a specialty college where it makes sense rather than a lack of knowledge by the author.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong and disappointed, but I'm hoping that won't be the case.

LT_BookwormLT_Bookwormabout 1 year ago

@vanye - At most colleges and universities, the number of classes a student attends daily/weekly is wholly dependent on the student in question. For example, I went to class five days a week, starting at 8am and was done for the day by noon. With that type of schedule, I took about 21 credits per semester (the maximum amount allowed) and finished school a year early. For some of my friends, they took the absolute minimum requirement for full time students (12 credits) every semester and could barely make it to a 10am class twice a week. I took getting in and out of university very seriously, so I made a concerted effort to make my class load feel as much like a professional working schedule as possible. As a bonus, my schedule left me plenty of time for working and having fun. I just couldn't go overboard on Sundays ;)

KerberosProtocolKerberosProtocolabout 1 year ago

I love Pink Floyd's album 'Wish You Were Here'. It has stood the test of time with every song being amazing, and I will always rank 'Have a Cigar' as one of my all time favorite songs, but I feel like Pink Floyd's 'On The Turning Away' would've been a better song choice. I say this because the songs lyrics (at least to me) feel more about what JT wanted to see in the world. A commentary on society with the hopes that people look and become the change that impacts others lives rather than turning away.

Fun Fact: 'Have a Cigar' was not sung by Roger Waters or David Gilmore, but instead by Roy Harper. There are only 2 songs not sung by members of Pink Floyd with the other being 'Great Gig in the Sky' with Clare Torry, but she didn't actually sing with lyrics (she improvised her performance).

WargamerWargamerabout 1 year ago

Okay, lm in, l hope the 13 chapters come thick and fast. I like a long story

5/5

bear1999bear1999about 1 year ago

Ok down another rabbit hole with you...can't wait for more

slider52slider52about 1 year ago

Like others, I'm in. Let's get going. Please don't make us wait long.

FuddyDuddyDudeFuddyDuddyDudeabout 1 year ago

Yay!!! Killer new story from one of the best here on Lit!!!

FDD

The_Crazy_OneThe_Crazy_Oneabout 1 year ago

Just a random question. Given you dropped this on Pateron in early Nov are you planning this one update a week no matter how many updates you release over on Pateron or is there a plan dump in the works? Because I'm honestly wonder how I should go forward with supporting you or not.

CorruptingPowerCorruptingPowerabout 1 year agoAuthor

So, you can always read my news updates done (generally) on Wednesday for free over at the Patreon, even if you aren't a subscriber. I always have the weekly update set so anyone can read it. Typically I'm doing one posting a week on public sites, but sometimes I will drop two in a given week, although rarely more than that. Stories have a six month exclusivity for my Patreon, so, for example, CARP has I think the first 4 chapters out over there. There's also a couple of stories that are Patreon only (at the tier 2 and up - Brewster's Brood and Breakpoint) and those won't ever hit the free sites, although I may put them on sale as ebooks/physical media when they're finished. But everything will be over at the Patreon for several months before it goes anywhere else. That said, most of it does eventually hit the public sites. So if you want to join up for $3/$6 a month, feel free and I'd love the support. If you just want to wait until it hits the free sites, hey, happy reading.

RonanJWilkersonRonanJWilkersonabout 1 year ago

Manila. a manila folder.

Ok, now that the pedantic itch got scratched, nice intro. I'm interested.

HornERabbitHornERabbitabout 1 year ago

Inviting, great hook for new series. Looking forward to more.

DistantConstellationDistantConstellationabout 1 year ago

nice setup.

Just one request - coming from having just read your most recent Phil's Story in Quaranteam - don't be overt about politics here, ok? No matter where your reader is on the current political nonsense, it will just turn them off, and this promises to be a very enjoyable story.

One even suspects the main character's yearnings for his life's work may find resonance in your own - and if so, go to it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good setup, I'm hooked already.

rockingtilidroprockingtilidropabout 1 year ago

You have my attention C.P lets see what journey your setting me up for now.

SirColin77SirColin77about 1 year ago

Please stop saying no one has heard of Canton, Ohio. It’s the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Pro Football Hall of Fame has welcomed more than 10 million fans. Each year, visitors travel from each of the 50 states and from upward of 70 foreign countries to tour the Hall of Fame.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Someone already noted: "M"anilla folders.

.

Your paragraph about the "At the Root" short story that came 3rd seemed awfully close to Richard Dawkins work that described "memes" in the late 60's.

.

And am I getting foreshadowing of Robert Heinlein views of relationships in the "you can do better" discussion of his break up with his girlfriend?

.

Carry on...

Ravey19Ravey1911 months ago

Short but I'm intrigued!!!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

"(The doctor came to see you) to invite HER to her school...".

Also, a sentence on Page 1 was missing a key word!

TEXASMADDOGTEXASMADDOG8 months ago

Very interesting beginning to this series...and so good I am captivated. Reading the next chapters will be an exercise in "discernment" on my part; as another reader commented, depart from the story track into politics, etc will turn me off and end my reading, with an accompanying score for the whole thing.

So, please, I hope the rest of the series is not a disappointment...in fact, I see a lot of good potential, if your initial description of "group sex" is accurate!!

And, I can overlook errors, a few, in the interest of being objective!!

Five Stars, so far!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

mfbridgesmfbridges15 days ago

The normal thing to ask in regard to a new Collage/University opening is the school accredited. Otherwise, those 4 years mean just about nothing. I wouldn't move forward until I had an understanding of that.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCorruptingPower@CorruptingPower
Anyone want to send feedback or encouragement? I'd love to hear it - corruptingpower@aol.com - You can also find loads more of my work over at my Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/CorruptingPower - New content drops for subscribers on Tuesdays and Fridays, and a publicly visib...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

C.A.R.PΒ Series Info