Calculating Nemesis

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,197 Followers

"Is there something you don't understand, Mr. Martin?" Asked Chambers.

"No, nothing at all. Why? Am I holding you up?"

"No, not at all. If there is something you have a problem with, perhaps I can explain." Chambers returned.

"Oh. I am sorry." I smiled. I was going to enjoy the next bit. I brought out my card and slipped it over to him. "As you can see I am qualified, as you are. Accountants always check, don't we?" Chambers wasn't happy; he pushed my card over to Bennington. He looked as if the frog had climbed all the way back up again.

Stanley had got his pen out in preparation for signing. I looked over to him.

"Lieutenant General. I wouldn't sign those if I were you. You would be committing an offence."

"What? What do you mean, Sir?"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that these accounts are inaccurate, not to say false." The General looked fiercely at me.

"Mr. Martin. You had better be prepared to back up that accusation."

"We are wasting time." Bennington said loudly. "There are other things to discuss. I ignored him and answered the General.

"Of course, Sir. Would you be so kind as to find the item referring to maintenance and depreciation on the vehicle fleet?" He found the item.

"Yes. Looks perfectly straightforward to me."

"It would General, if the company actually owned the vehicles."

"Of course we do. Owned the fleet for years." I shook my head.

"No Sir." I opened the folder and pulled out the copy of the leasing agreement, sliding it across the table to him.

"Would you care to look at that agreement?" Then I brought out the list of vehicles covered by the agreement. I slid that over to him. "That is the list of vehicles. I believe you will find it comprehensive."

He read the agreement and then the list, passing them over to Mrs. Dax for her to see. The signatures on the agreement for the Company were Bennington and Chambers. Those two gentlemen seemed to be sitting on hot bricks, their faces flushed hotly. The General had seen enough.

"Bennington! I think you have some explaining to do. We'll go into your office and you can tell me what is going on." I didn't want that. The General probably didn't know enough about accounting and Bennington would use quality wool to pull over his eyes.

"General!" I caught his attention. "This has been going on for years. An explanation for this year's accounts is insufficient. Without this asset, the Company could be said to be trading while insolvent, and that is a criminal offence. I would advise that the Company cease trading immediately and have a full independent audit carried out."

"That's not necessary." Shouted Bennington. He and Chambers were looking decidedly unhappy.

"Be quiet, man!" The General used a voice more suited to the parade ground. He was thinking. He turned and had a whispered conversation with Mrs. Dax. She nodded and looked at me.

"Mr. Martin. Am I and the General in danger of prosecution?" I nodded.

"Yes, I think you could be."

"Then I think the General and I would vote to take your proposal, I second your motion." Chambers had to note the motion in the minutes then asked.

"All those in favour?" The General's and Mrs. Dax's hands went up, as did mine. They had over thirty percent of the shares between them; I had proxy votes for twenty-two percent. It was no contest.

I was leaving after the meeting when by chance I bumped into Bennington. He looked daggers at me.

"Bastard!" I nodded.

"It takes one to know one." I replied. "Don't mess with little runt book keepers with little dicks. Some of us have clout." Now he could have no doubt as to whom I was. I felt quite certain that the audit would throw up other questions for Bennington to answer. What's it like to be looking from the precipice and knowing that you had no way of avoiding the fall?

CHAPTER FIVE

Four weeks later the independent auditors had finished. As a shareholder Frank received a copy of the report and brought it round to me.

"I can't understand head or tail of it. What does it tell us?" I read through it quickly, noticing as I did his looking around with distaste.

"Why the hell don't you get somewhere better?" He asked. "This place is a shit hole." I ignored that for a moment. The report bore out all the thoughts I had. Bennington was up to so many scams, basically ripping off his shareholders and the Inland Revenue with false accounting. The auditors had notified the Revenue and they were starting up their grinder. They moved slowly but very, very thoroughly, missing nothing; which would eventually spit Bennington and Chambers out in little pieces. The police were already involved.

Bennington had sentenced me to a whole world of pain and now he was going to experience the feeling. I explained the report and told Frank what it meant for Bennington. He winced.

"I am sure he will be going to a place where he will make the acquaintance of some of your acquaintances." He laughed. Then I went on to answer his other question.

"Frank I stay here because it suits. If I moved to more salubrious premises, people would notice. The tax man may get curious and the last thing I or you for that matter, want is the tax man getting curious. So I stay here, they think I am just a plodding accountant, not bursting with bright ideas to avoid taxes so they leave me alone. That suits me." He grinned.

"I thought you would say that. Now what do we do with this company you have just ruined?"

"It's not ruined. It's viable. I would imagine that the shareholders will be happy to sell their shares for a nominal figure and if you or Jack would like to take control it won't cost you too much. You get a profitable concern, running wagons all over the country, and possibly abroad." I threw that in to see if he would take notice. He did.

"Ah! That could be interesting." Frank left thinking deeply.

I decided it was time to add to Bennington's agony. Vin collected from me envelopes containing copies of the DVD and the screen grabs. These he delivered by hand to Bennington's, Haskins', and Wellow's homes. Just slipping them through the letter boxes. The solicitors would be very grateful for the business I was providing for them.

The General phoned me a few weeks later.

"Mr. Martin. My cousin, Mrs. Dax and I would like to thank you for your assistance. It looks like we will have to pay a fine to the tax man, but that shouldn't be too much. They seem to be saving most of their ire for Bennington and Chambers. Could you advise us further about what we should do with the Company? To be honest neither of us is too interested in maintaining our connection."

"General Stanley, I think that possibly my principles; Mr. Weston and Mr. Hallam could be persuaded to take it on. But with the bad publicity it would need subsidising for a while to get it back up and running."

"Understood. If you would talk to them for us, see what they say. The shares are not worth more than a pittance now so we will accept any reasonable offer."

Vin was proving very useful. The man seemed to keep his ear to the ground and a couple of months had gone by when he called at the office. This time he did accept a cup of coffee. He handed me a couple of newspapers. One was the Chelmsford Weekly News, The front page reported the problems at the old established local company Elwin Dax Ltd. and the Inland Revenue investigation. Then ringed on another page was an item describing how Mrs. Ida Bennington was divorcing her husband Walter. Mention was made of some photos showing him in an intimate embrace with a young woman. The other paper was the Southend Standard. This story covered the abrupt departure from a local manufacturing company of two executives. A Mr. K.B Haskins and a Mr. M Wellow. Both dismissed for bringing the company into disrepute and activities unbecoming for their status. It also mentioned that they were both recently estranged from their wives. I thanked Vin for his thoughtfulness.

So I had my revenge and suddenly felt flat. Whilst I was working towards getting retribution I was quite fired up, excited even as everything came together. Now? I don't know what I felt. I was empty. It was twelve months now since I had insisted Lily leave. The year had been busy with my normal work and then with my extra-curricular activities. I hadn't stopped long enough to give thought to where my life was going and what I would do. At one time it was simple, I would work until I decided that my investments abroad were sufficient and then retire, for Lily and me to move to a better climate and an easier, comfortable life. Bennington and his cohorts had put an end to that dream. I couldn't think of finding another woman to share my life. Once bitten twice shy were the watchwords. Any woman in my life, however loving would suffer a lack of trust on my part. Viewing her actions with suspicion would erode any relationship, descending into argument and mistrust. Deprived of my ambitions I did what I knew best and buried myself in the exacting world of accountancy.

The General telephoned me to tell me that Frank and Jack had declined to buy the shares.

"Looks like we're stuck with them." He then went on. "Mr. Martin. You said the Company was viable if run properly." I agreed I had said that. "Well, would you consider running it for us? I would be willing to make you a gift of shares, to give you an incentive, and I am sure that there could be a good salary as well."

"General. I am flattered by your offer, but I should tell you that accountants are not the right people to run companies. You need an entrepreneur, a man with ideas, willing to take a chance. Accountants by their training are incapable of that. All you need for proof is the large concerns in this country that failed: British Rail, British Steel, Austin Rover; all run by accountants."

"I take your point. Bloody Army is run by accountants now." He said bitterly. "Moving on. I was wondering if you would agree to come and take Lunch with me. My cousin, Mrs. Dax is as eager as I to show our gratitude for your intervention. I believe you live near to Chelmsford, would Tuesday next week suit?" It was obvious that he was not used to having 'no' for an answer. So I accepted. He gave me his address, he lived just outside Danbury. He finished with. "Twelve to twelve-thirty will be fine."

I drove over to Danbury in quite a good mood. Twelve months had passed since I had asked Lily to leave and in those twelve months I had not gone out socially even once. I quite liked the General. He was a bit of a throwback but easy to get on with. He didn't need to act the old soldier, he was one and I am sure he had a fund of interesting stories.

His home was not quite what I expected. Visions of a Manorial residence surrounded by a park, disappeared as I arrived at a modest bungalow, the imagined park becoming a very neat well-kept garden. He welcomed me at the door.

"Mr. Martin. Thank you so much for coming."

"It's good to see you again, General."

"Ambrose is the label."

"Chad." He nodded.

"Short for Charles I presume." He invited me in to where Mrs. Dax stood up to greet me. She told me to call her Terry. It was really Teresa.

"I have been Terry all my life."

Ambrose got us drinks and sat down.

"Chad. I am speaking for both of use when I say that you have done us a great service. I, as you can imagine inherited these shares. The army doesn't have too much need for accountants and I know absolutely nothing about running a business. Terry's husband was the last of the actual Dax's to take a hands-on interest in the business. When he died Bennington seemed like our saviour. We would never have known what he was doing until the business crashed. I suspect that would have cost us a lot more than just a fine to the Inland Revenue. Thank you." I made the appropriate non-committal noises.

Over lunch the conversation was light and amusing, until we were having coffee when Ambrose threw a pointed question at me.

"Why did you take an interest in our Company?" I waffled a little saying my principles were always interested in a possibly buy-in. He shook his head in disbelief.

"It wouldn't have anything to do with Bennington first and foremost would it, Chad?"

"Well..."

"Or the fact that a young woman bearing the same name as yours left suddenly?" I raised my hands as a surrendering soldier would do.

"Ok, you've got me." He grinned.

"Is she your wife?" Terry Dax joined the inquisition. I nodded.

"But you're not together anymore."

"No." I confirmed her thoughts sadly. Ambrose gave me a look of sympathy.

"It will not help you, but she wasn't the only one. Bennington was a rather busy man in that area."

"You knew?" I was a little testy.

"No. The police interviewed the staff and it would appear that some of them were aware of what he was up to. The police also found a bottle of liquid in his desk drawer. When it was tested it turned out to be one of those nasty drugs that bounders will slip into a girl's drink." Terry Dax came over to me and laid a motherly hand on my arm.

"That knowledge may help. She wasn't in control of herself." I shook my head.

"She was in control of herself when she went to lunch with him all those times. I can't see that his drugging her made any difference. She shouldn't have been there in the first place."

My outburst put a damper on the conversation. Ambrose picked up and asked an innocuous question.

"You live quite close to Chelmsford, I believe." I gratefully accepted the change of topic.

"Yes. I live in Abbess Roding."

"Oh, how lovely." Terry gushed. "The Roothings are beautiful villages." The conversation then centred on the delights of English Villages as places to live. I was preparing not to outstay my welcome and said that I should leave. Then the General made another intuitive comment.

"That Mr. Weston is a rather difficult man to deal with. We asked what I believed to be a very reasonable price for the shares, but he offered so little. To accept we would be giving them away. I suspect he is a bit of a rogue." I smiled.

"You may well be right, Ambrose. He's an East End lad as I am. I think he does a little Ducking and Diving." Ambrose grinned.

"I believe that is what is called being economical with the truth. Whatever. We had quite a few like that in the army. Always on charges for one thing or another, but bloody good soldiers all the same. The ones you would want around when things were getting difficult."

As I drove home I reflected on what Ambrose had revealed. So Bennington was a serial seducer and Lily was but one of his successes. It didn't make a difference to my decision. If his playing around were common knowledge in the office, then Lily should have been forewarned. She allowed him to take her for lunch over many weeks. She should have known what his purpose was and she continued to see him. To me that meant acceptance of that purpose.

CHAPTER SIX

Hearing that Bennington had been sent down for a sentence of two years was for me an anti-climax. The bastard would serve his sentence at an open prison as he wasn't judged to be dangerous. Well to the general population he wasn't, but to other men's wives? That was a different story. What did cheer me up was that in his divorce his wife did indeed take him to the cleaners. When he came out of prison he would be homeless, probably penniless and would never get employment again at the level he had once enjoyed and abused. Vin could not find anything pertaining to Haskins and Wellow apart from the short report in the paper. I was content. No I bloody wasn't! I was forever without the one person who had made my life happy, and they had done that to me.

Fate had not finished with me yet. It still had surprises up its sleeve.

The General and Mrs. Dax had kept in touch. I wouldn't describe them as close friends now, but friendly acquaintances. Elwin Dax Ltd. had recommenced operating after the investigation, the Inland Revenue having decided that they wouldn't apply for liquidation; but needed a strong hand at the helm. I had sat in with them this day to interview a couple of applicants to fill Bennington's chair. One of them I thought particularly suitable, although either of them would do well.

After the applicants had left, we sat in the boardroom with a cup of tea and discussed the applicants. They both agreed with me on the C.V. of the one and wanted to make him an offer. I had to point out that the salary and bonus structure would have to be high to get him.

"I agree he is the best candidate, but doubt he would come here for the package that you can afford to offer. The Company is operating on a fair size overdraft. Economies have to be in place until that is reduced. Perhaps you should settle for Mr. Seddon. I think he will do a good job, and the Company can afford him."

"Chad, you have your accountant's hat on." Quipped Ambrose.

"I thought that was why you asked me to sit in?" I smiled and so did he. Terry Dax settled it.

"I think we should listen to Chad. He's given us good advice before and we should accept his advice now, Ambrose." He nodded.

"Agreed."

Terry Dax then changed the topic.

"Chad, have you given thought to your wife at all?"

"No."

"You should you know. I think she is just as much a victim in this as you were."

"Why do you think that, Terry?"

"From what you have said and from what we have learned from the investigation, Bennington was a skilled seducer. He was her boss, and as an employee she would be inclined to follow his instructions. No one talked about his activities until the police questioned them, so it was not common knowledge. I doubt that she understood what he intended, and I am sure he spun a good story. If then he used that drug...Well I would think any number of girls would fall for it." For months my position was that Lily had been aware of what she was doing. I had clung to that notion, yet Terry had suggested a scenario that was completely plausible. Lily had never been subservient but she was very conscientious about her job, and would carry out her boss's instructions to the letter. If she had no inkling of his reputation I doubt that she would question those instructions and then suddenly it was too late. With Terry's words in mind I drove out of the yard and turned left. If I were to ask Lily back, would she do that again? My gut feeling was no she wouldn't.

There was a supermarket just a few hundred yards away and on the spur of the moment I decided to pop in and get a few supplies. I particularly needed washing powder. My cleaner, Mrs. Solby had taken over the washing after I had an incident. I had run out of washing powder and clean shirts at the same time. So I put a load in and used washing up liquid as a substitute. Bad move. I had to cycle the whole wash three times before getting the suds out of my shirts. Even then they smelt of detergent for days. Mrs. Solby had different views. The powder drawer was quite big and she believed that it had to be filled. I could not understand why she was adding washing powder to my need list almost every other week, until one day I happened to be home when she did the washing. Diplomatically I showed her the little scoop that came with the powder explaining the manufacturer's recommendation. Thereafter I only had to buy washing powder once every six weeks.

I picked up a basket and strolled into the supermarket. It was a shock to see Lily at the checkout. I thought it was Lily although she was wearing a hat with a veil over her face. Were those bloody fates taking an interest in me again. Giving me a nudge? I did my shopping as quickly as I could and went to the same till as she had used. She was of course long gone by then. I chatted with the check-out girl.

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,197 Followers