Caleb 55 - Stolen Baby

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sounds good," I said.

"Are you intending to get rated for the G500?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Okay, then you'll need some other things too. You'll need your instrument rating then complex airplane endorsement, which I can sign you off on, but you'll have to hire a plane because I don't have one. Alternatively, I can give you the name of a flight school that does, but they are at the international airport. Then you'll need the high-performance endorsement. You can do complex and high performance those together if you get the right plane. Then to get to the G500 rating you'll need to do commercial, instructor, and then your multi engine rating. Finally, you'll need your type rating.

Getting all that is going to cost you, and take quite a while, but if you are dedicated, you could complete it in a year, all things being equal.

"Okay then," I said. "that's the plan."

"So, first things first. Let's get you your Private-Single-Engine-Land license," he said. "See you next week?"

"Five?" I asked and he nodded.

"Until nine," he said. "Don't forget to bring your headset. And also, your student pilot certificate if you have it. They say up to three weeks, but they can come sooner."

That reminded him.

"Here's your medical certificate back." He handed it to me, and I put it back in my wallet.

When I arrived home, Dianna and Maggie were sitting out on the deck talking to Melanie. Ness was just serving up dinner and Jules and the girls were struggling pulling one of the beds from the attic.

"Hey," I said, "let me get that."

Jules grinned at me.

I lifted it down with TK.

"Where?" I asked.

"My workshop for now," she said. "Melanie can have that until the spare room is ready."

"That's Ness'," I said.

"I don't need it," Ness said. "I'm staying put where I am. If you want to fuck someone that I don't want to play with then we'll see, but right now Melanie is more important than you getting your freak on."

She grinned at me to let me know she was baiting me.

"How quickly they forget," I said. "You up for another spanking?"

Her grin widened. "Anytime," she said turning to wiggle her ass in my direction. I laughed.

"Go tell the Grannies that dinner's ready," she said.

"I heard that," said Maggie who was just coming in through the kitchen door.

Ness grinned again. "Oops," she said, not looking the slightest bit contrite.

Melanie and Dianna came in and we all took seats at the table.

Melanie had had something to eat just after I'd gone out, but she was hungry again. I guessed it would take some time for her to balance out. I remembered Rachel who'd only missed meals for a couple of months. I shuddered to think how long Melanie had missed meals for.

Melanie sat down the table between Dana and Dianna. I looked at her, just as she looked at me.

I smiled. Once again directing love, safety, and security at her. She seemed to shiver, but gave me a half smile back, then went back to her food.

Almost as soon as dinner was over, Maggie said she had to go. Dianna though, stayed and she and Melanie went back out onto the deck to talk some more. I started to clear the kitchen. It became apparent that our dishwasher, wasn't big enough. We needed to either get a second one or find one that took a lot more place settings.

I decided it was easier to wash the overflow by hand, than wait for the dishwasher to cycle. Amanda came in, saw what I was doing, and picked up a cloth and began to dry.

"Your sister seems nice," she said. It was the most cliché'd opening to a conversation I'd ever heard but I didn't call her on it.

"It sounds like she's had a hard time," I replied.

Amanda nodded.

"Is she joining us?" she asked.

"What?" I said. "She's my..." but then stopped. Amanda smiled softly.

I had been about to say 'she's my sister', but then Mary was Amanda's sister, and Jules was Ness'. How was Melanie being my sister any different?

I certainly wouldn't want to have a baby with her, not at least without some major genetic screening beforehand, but would I baulk at 'playing' with her? I could hardly claim any kind of morality where that was concerned. I was sleeping with two sets of sisters and playing with another brother/sister pairing of neighbours. I'd had physical sex with my 'mother-in-law' and my 'grandmother-in-law' and psychic sex with my own mother, my mother-in-law, grandmother-in-law, and father-in-law. Fuck!

"You ask all the right questions," I said, "but you're asking the wrong person. Let's let her get settled and see what she wants to do."

Amanda nodded.

"Whatever you, and she decide," she said, "Mary and I are happy with it. We're happy you found your sister."

"So are we," said Jules and Ness who had snuck into the kitchen while I'd been distracted.

"She seems lovely," said Ness, "and if you both want her to join our family, then we're happy too."

"You've known her for less than six hours," I said. "At least let's get to know her a bit more before we make those sorts of decisions. Besides, she may have other plans. I'm just going to give her time and help her get healthy and whole, and then we'll take It from there."

The door opened and Dianna poked her head into the kitchen. "Caleb?" I looked over. "Can you come out here please?"

I took the towel from Amanda and dried my hands before making my way out onto the deck. Dianna closed the door behind us, then indicated a chair.

"Melanie has some questions," she said.

I turned to look at Melanie.

"What did you do to me in the diner?" she asked.

I looked at Dianna, but she remained impassive. No help there.

I sat back in my chair and thought.

"There are some people," I began, "who were born with what might be termed 'power'. They, depending on which power they have, can do certain things. I have power. One of the powers I have is that I can make people do things, even if they don't want to. I can take control of them and make them do my bidding."

"One of the powers?" she asked.

"I have four," I said. "I can make people do things, I can feel, read , and even send emotions..."

Melanie's eyes widened. "The feelings of safety and security?" she asked. She was bright. I nodded.

"I can move things," I lifted the table in front of us and she yelped in surprise. "And I can read minds."

"You can..."

I nodded.

"That was how I found you," I said. "When I see people doing what you were doing outside the diner, I check them out a little. There are some who just pretend to be in trouble and make a good living off the generosity of others. I could see you were genuine, so I invited you to lunch.

"When we were inside, I saw who you were," I finished.

"How could you tell who I was, when even I didn't know?" she asked.

"I didn't know exactly WHO you were, but I saw that you, too, had power."

"Me?" she said.

"The power follows the bloodline," said Dianna. "Since you are of the same bloodline, you also have power."

"But I don't," she said. "I can't do anything."

"That's because," I said, "your powers are being blocked. That mark on your wrist. It's not a birthmark. It's an amulet, designed to stop you using your powers until you are old enough to be responsible with them."

She looked at her wrist.

"Can you take it off?" she asked.

I looked at Dianna.

"Maggie has gone to meet with the council," she said. "It will be their decision."

I chewed my cheek for a second.

"Let's get you healthy first," I said. "Using powers is hard on your body. In the state you are in now, it could do you harm. Give us some time to get you healthy and get some meat on your bones, and then we'll get it removed. Normally they don't remove it until your twenty first birthday.

"I don't know when that is," said Melanie.

"February fourteenth," said Dianna. "You're twenty years old now."

"Melanie," I said, "I want you to know that you're safe here. Our home is your home."

"But I don't have any money," she said.

"That's no problem," I said. "We have more than enough to take care of you. You can stay for as long as you like, up to and including the rest of your life if you so wish. You'll always have a place with me and mine.

"I'm not going to keep you a prisoner though. At any time, if you want to move on, then you're free to do so. Can I ask did you go to school?"

She shook her head.

"I did a little schooling when I was younger," she said. "But I moved around so much that I didn't really get much, and then I left."

"You can't read, can you?" I asked gently. She looked down and shook her head.

"You must think I'm stupid."

"No," I said. "I know that you are definitely not stupid. You survived out there, alone for almost all your life. Nobody stupid could have done that. Just because you haven't been schooled, doesn't make you stupid.

"Our priority, then, is to get you your GED. I'll teach you to read tonight, and we can start other studies tomorrow."

"Teach me to read?" she said. "In one night?"

I smiled at her. "Powers remember? I can take my memories of learning to read and put them in your head. By this time tomorrow you'll be able to read as well as I can."

"Can I meet our father?" She asked.

"Sure," I said. "He and I are not on the best of terms, but I can see if he will come over."

"When?" she asked.

"How about tomorrow night?" I replied. She nodded.

"Tomorrow," I said, "you and I are going shopping. You need some things."

"I don't..." she began,

"I do," I said, "and more than enough to get you a full wardrobe."

"I suggest," said Dianna, "that you postpone that shopping trip until the weekend, and then get the girls to take her."

"She needs stuff before then," I said, "but we'll just get her the basics maybe we can all go shopping this weekend."

"Good plan," said Dianna.

While we'd been talking I'd been considering all my reading learning. I'd collated it all together as best I could.

"I'm going teach you to read now," I said, "if that's alright with you. It will feel a bit strange at first. I'll also need to help you remember it long term, but like I said you should get it overnight."

She nodded and I sent it to her. Her eyes glazed for a second and then I saw understanding dawn.

I pulled out my wallet and got out my medical certificate and handed it to her.

"Caleb Stott," she read, a grin splitting her face. "Class three medical certificate."

"That's amazing," she said.

"It's a beginning," I replied. "You and I have got some work to do, but I'm sure we can get you your GED in couple of weeks and, after that, you can decide what you want to do. If, that is, you decide to stay with us."

"Why wouldn't I?" she asked.

"You haven't seen all your options," I said. "Maybe our father will make you an offer you find more attractive."

She bit her lip.

"That would seem ungrateful," she said. "I owe you..."

"Nothing," I interrupted. "Not a single thing. You and I are blood, brother and sister."

"Half..." she began but I shook my head.

"There's no such thing as a half-brother," I said. "You are my sister, and as your big brother, it's my job to look out for you. I've done a completely shit job of it so far, so I have a lot of making up to do."

"You didn't know," said Dianna.

"Just one more piece of information that was kept from me," I said, and Dianna cocked an eyebrow.

Melanie looked at me quizzically.

"I have a lot to catch you up on," I said. "But let's take it one day at a time. We have plenty of time."

I looked at my watch. It was after ten.

"It's past my bedtime," I said. "The girls will look after you. If you need anything we are just in the first bedroom."

"All of you?" she asked.

"Me, the twins, Jules and Ness," I said. "My family."

She stood up as I did. Then she came over and put her arms around me, tentatively, as if fearing I might push her away. I put my arms around her and held her gently. She felt like a bag of bones, like she might break if I squeezed her too tightly.

"Thank you," she said, "for finding me."

"Thank you," I replied, "for being there to be found."

She released me, walked with me back into the kitchen, and from there into the living room. I left her with the girls, and I went to bed.

When I woke up the next morning, I wasn't overly surprised to find Melanie curled up beside me. Even in sleep, her hands were holding onto my arm. Jules, always the mother of the group, was holding her gently from behind. Ness lay between the twins on my other side.

Her eyes snapped open as soon as I moved. I guess that living rough all your life made you a very light sleeper.

"It's okay," I said. "It's time for me to get up."

"Already?" she said.

"You don't have to," I said. "I always get up early, before my girls. Sleep some more if you want."

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"I go out to train," I said. "Sometimes on the deck, where we were last night, and sometimes I go out for a run. I'll be making breakfast in a couple of hours. You rest until then."

She nodded, releasing my arm and snuggling back down into Jules' embrace. I smiled. Then I went to train.

I was back and making breakfast when Jules and Melanie came into the kitchen. I smiled at them both.

"Morning," I said. I placed a plate of bacon and another of waffles on the table. "Dig in."

Jules came over and hugged me.

"She didn't want to be alone," she said quietly to me. "I hope you don't mind?"

"Didn't I ask you to look after her?" I said with a smile. "I half expected it, to be honest, after Rachel."

Marcia showed up at eight as usual and I introduced Melanie to her.

"Sister?" she said. "Wow." I could feel some scepticism from her but ignored it. If she wanted to believe I was picking up strays off the street, then that was her affair.

"I'm taking Melanie shopping this morning," I said. "Just to get her the essentials. I was hoping you guys would help her to shop properly this weekend."

"I'll come," said Gracie. "I'm not due in until this afternoon. Even the essentials need a woman's eye."

"Okay then," I said. I cast my Healing eye over Melanie. She was now fully Healed, just undernourished. She had a lot of making up to do.

The rest of the gang went off to school and Marcia started work mudding the walls in the rooms.

"You ready?" I said to Melanie, and she nodded. She was still wearing the sweatpants from yesterday, although she had a clean T-Shirt on, one of Jules' I thought. I would bet she was wearing Jules' underwear too. The sneakers she wore I was certain were Ness'.

When we got to the mall Melanie hung back.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I'm not allowed in there," she said. "I got thrown out."

"For?" I asked. She looked uncomfortable.

"Melanie," I said, "if you got caught stealing, then that is okay. I know that you were doing what you had to do to survive. Like I said, that part of your life is over. Whatever you had to do to survive, you don't anymore."

I heard her thought. She'd been caught by one of the security guards trying to steal some food. He'd been sympathetic to her, even letting her keep the food, but told her that she wasn't able to come into the mall again.

We walked into the mall and began by getting her some footwear, buying her a couple of pairs of sneakers and some shoes. She couldn't wear anything with a heel but found some flats that she liked. Then Gracie took her to get some underwear. I waited outside. They came out maybe twenty minutes later, giggling like a pair of schoolgirls and clutching a bag.

Jeans and T-shirts next, and I kicked my heels for half an hour while she tried stuff on. She only bought two pairs of Jeans, since she was so skinny just now, but when she put weight back on, they probably wouldn't fit. They handed the bags to me. I was starting to feel like a pack horse.

I decided, after the next store that I was going to take the stuff back to my truck rather than lump it all around. When I returned to where I'd left Gracie and Melanie, there was a security guard standing in front of Melanie.

"Is there a problem?" I asked.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I'm her brother," I said. "Caleb Stott." I held my hand out and he shook it.

"This young lady was asked not to return to the mall," he said. "There was some unpleasantness last time she was here."

"Don't sugar coat it," I said. "She was caught stealing. You were decent enough to let her keep the food that you knew that she was desperate for, but you have your job to do. I get that, and I thank you.

"Melanie was very down on her luck," I said. "Until yesterday, I didn't even know I had a sister. Now I've found her, and I promise you that there will be no more 'unpleasantness.' We're here today buying her everything she needs because yesterday, aside from what she was wearing, she had nothing.

"If there's some store owner that's due some recompense for what she took then I'll gladly go speak to them."

He shook his head. "It was only a box of donuts," he said, "I took care of it."

"Then I thank you again." I pulled out one of my cards. "If there's ever anything I can do to repay you, then let me know."

He looked at it. "Hypnotherapy?" he asked. "What like clucking like a chicken?"

I laughed. "I don't think there's many would want that for themselves. I do smoking cessation and weight loss mostly, but I've treated other things too."

"Like?" he asked.

"PTSD," I said.

"Wow," he said "that's cool. I don't personally need your help, but I'll pass your card along."

I gave him another. "Keep one for yourself," I said. "I'd like to repay the debt for you helping Melanie."

He looked at me and then at her. Gracie chose this moment to arrive.

"Is there a problem?" she asked.

"And you are?" he questioned.

She flashed her creds.

"No," he said. "No problem. We were just talking. You guys have a nice day." He turned and walked away.

"Sorry, I was in the bathroom. What was that about?" she asked. I sent her the memory, it was simpler.

She slipped her arm around Melanie. "You okay?" she asked. Melanie nodded.

"He wasn't nasty, just told me I couldn't be here," she said. "It was just kind of embarrassing."

"Well, it's over now," I said. "So, who's hungry? I have two hours before I need to leave."

"Where are you going?" asked Melanie.

"I have to go help a friend," I said.

"Can I come?" she asked.

I thought about it for a few minutes.

"Okay," I said. She smiled.

We went and got something to eat, and then dropped Gracie off at home, on the way to Vince's.

+++++

Both Vince and Jeevan were surprised that I brought someone with me, let alone someone they had never met before.

They both looked at me, a question in their eyes. Melanie answered it.

"Hi," she said, "My name's Melanie. I'm the family emergency that stopped him coming here yesterday."

Both turned their eyes back to me, having looked at her as she was speaking.

I offered both the memory; it was just quicker.

I saw them assimilate it, and I saw Jeevan's eyes fill with tears. He looked at Melanie.

"It is my pleasure to meet you Choti Bahana. I hope that you will look upon me as another, perhaps slightly older, big brother, as my Bhaiya Caleb does."

"Slightly older?" I asked with a small smile. He grinned.

"I am very pleased to meet you," said Vince, then he looked at me. "And don't worry about yesterday, Jeevan managed to torture me plenty without you being here."

I looked at Jeevan.

"I made a start," he said, "on removing some of the extraneous metalwork. Things that were no longer required even with the bone as it is. We can start on the bone proper today."

Vince was looking at Melanie.

"She still wears the amulet?" he asked.

"The council is discussing it," I said pulling a face. "I'm not kicking up a fuss just now because she's so weak that I don't think her body would tolerate using powers well in any case. When she's better, if they won't remove it, I will."