Caleb 89 - Shooter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why am I an asshole?" I asked.

"For putting yourself in danger," Jules said. I sighed. I couldn't do right for doing wrong.

I looked at Arnie.

"So what's the plan for this lesson?" I asked.

+++++

It was past seven when I got home. There didn't seem to be any reporters hanging around, not that I thought that there would be. Dianna's car was parked in the drive, and I pulled my truck into the garage, closing the door behind me. I entered the house through the kitchen, finding everyone excepting Arnie, who'd gone home for the night, in the living room.

Sarah and Melanie both got up and rushed over to me, pulling me into hugs.

"You ASSHOLE" Sarah yelled, her face pressed into my chest. "You left before I could see you."

"I'm sorry," I said. "But I was due at the airfield. I needed to get going. You knew I was okay; I shared the memory with you."

"I know," she mumbled, "But I wanted to see you. To feel you were safe."

Melanie who had her arms around us both, smiled up at me.

"I'm glad you're safe," she said leaning in to kiss me, then she swatted my ass, causing me to yelp.

"Don't do that again."

Dianna laughed.

"I've said it many times," she said. "You are a trouble magnet. Of all the classrooms in the school he could have gone into..."

"I heard the shot in the hall," I told her. "Did anyone get hurt?"

She shook her head. "It was just to make Campus Security back off," she said. "They'd been following him as a stranger entering the school. When they got too close, he fired at them and then took shelter in the nearest classroom."

"Which just happened to be ours," I said. "What are the chances?"

"Almost 100%" said Jules. "If anything is going to happen anywhere near you, you can be one hundred percent certain that it will happen either TO you, or in your immediate vicinity. You seem to have your own personal gravity field for trouble."

I tried to deny that, but found I had no grounds.

"I got you a new phone," she said. "I picked It up on my way home. Throw me your old one and I'll get everything transferred across."

I pulled out the wreckage of what had been my old phone and passed it to her. She shook her head, and then went to her workshop.

"I spoke to David Mbisi," said Dianna. "He was suitably impressed by you, and even more so when I told him there was a fifth letter of commendation being added to your file for today's events. The SWAT commander was most complimentary. I think there's a SWAT team member that wants to take more than a statement from you too, if you're interested."

"He is," said Amanda. "I've got her number. I think she's coming over for dinner on Saturday."

I laughed.

"I'm sure I don't need to share QUITE that much?" I said.

"She's cute," said Mary. "And if she keeps her armour on... or at least some of it..."

I raised an eyebrow to her.

"I think she had a control fetish," I said. "When she saw my business card, she got even hornier."

"Another Louise?" asked Amanda. I nodded.

"Something like," I said. "Although I think we're going to have to be a little more circumspect with her."

"I'm sure we'll think of something," said Melanie.

Jules returned with my new phone.

"You've got some messages." She said handing it to me.

Predictably I'd had emails from the Dean and from Jamie, the counsellor, both of whom wanted to see me in the morning. They'd obviously collaborated since the Dean's appointment was at eight thirty and Jamie's was at nine.

I'd also had a WhatsApp message from Dr. Booty Call.

­_I heard what happened from David. He's also really impressed with your learning hack. Expect some thanks when you next see him. Glad you're alright. I'm hoping to have a week in the early New Year before I start my next assignment if your invite still stands?"

I showed it to Amanda. She took her number.

"I'll contact her," she said with a grin. "Of course it still stands."

I shook my head.

I decided it would be better for me to answer personally though.­

­_Of course it does. We look forward to seeing you. Let us know the exact dates and if you need to we have a spare room you can use.(as long as you tidy up after)

My phone beeped almost immediately.

­_Asshole.

I laughed, showing the conversation to Amanda.

I sat down in one of the chairs, opposite Dianna.

"So you found someone else immune to your powers," she said.

I nodded.

"Did you get a chance to investigate?" she asked. I thought about it. I wondered if anyone else examining the guy would be able to glean the same information that I had. I thought it highly likely. I wondered what to tell her.

"No," I said. "I was more interested in getting out of there in one piece and without revealing my powers. You'll find that the firing pins in both his weapons are bent, so they wouldn't have been able to shoot no matter what. That will cause some confusion if that's discovered since he shot in the hallway and also shot at the professor. I just didn't want him shooting anyone else. Especially not me."

"Good enough," said Dianna after looking at me searchingly for a while. I knew she'd not be able to breach my shields and I'd been taught by Maggie how to control my Aura, so I was fairly certain she couldn't know I was lying to her.

"Something else I was thinking about recently," I said to her.

She looked at me interested.

"Harold Bleasedale," I said. "I took his powers, before I'd had any kind of training. I want to make sure that they haven't returned, and to ensure that they never can. I didn't know anything about locking compulsions back then. He could have them back already and be planning his escape, parole, and or revenge. I need to go see him.

Dianna thought about that.

"That's not a bad call", she said. "He's in a normal Jail. Since he was Powerless, they didn't bother sending him to the one for Power users. If he has got his powers back, then he'll be dangerous. When do you want to go see him?"

"As soon as possible," I said. "I need to be certain that he's no longer a danger to anyone."

She nodded.

"I'll put in some calls, and let you know. Now, most importantly."

"Yes?" I asked.

"I believe you're making dinner?" she grinned.

+++++

I was outside the Dean's office by eight thirty the next morning. His secretary smiled at me.

"You're the talk of the campus," she said. "Everyone, and I do mean everyone, thinks you're a hero. You saved all your class and even the guy with the gun, he came out of it with nothing more than a headache."

"I hope he ends up with something more than that," I said. "Although I think he probably needs psychiatric help as much as anything else."

She nodded. "You're probably right. How someone with those kinds of issues could get hold of weapons like that though..."

"Not legally," I said. "I don't think you can buy a MAC 10 legally. No amount of background checks would have helped in this case."

She nodded sadly. "When I look at the statistics," she said, "given the number of school shootings, we kind of know that, at some point, it will be our turn. Now we've had our turn, and thanks to you it all turned out well. I can kind of breathe easier now."

I didn't have the heart to disillusion her, that it didn't work like that. The buzzer on her desk buzzed, and she smiled at me.

"You can go in," she said.

I knocked on the door, and at the muffled "Enter" opened it and went inside. The Dean, as usual was seated at his desk. He watched me as I walked across his office.

"Please," he said indicating one of the seats facing his desk. I sat.

"I wanted to personally thank you," he began, "for your actions yesterday. I've spoken to nearly all the students from your ethics class and they all say the same thing. If it hadn't been for your quick thinking, and decisive actions, someone, possibly more than one person, could have died."

I had no answer that wouldn't have sounded trite, so I stayed silent.

"It's a small thing," he continued, "but the Board of Trustees has decided to award you a Presidential Award for Service to the University." My eyes widened.

"But..." I said.

"I know it's not exactly standard, but we all felt that some recognition was due, and this was what they came up with. It does come with a $250 dollar award, and a seat for yourself a person of your choosing at the leadership luncheon in May."

"Thank you," I said, nothing more erudite coming to mind.

"I have nothing more to add, other than to say if there is ANYTHING that I, or the school, can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask."

"There is one thing," I said, and he raised an eyebrow.

"As I'm sure you heard, I've stopped doing hypnotherapy on campus. After what happened I wasn't, shall we say, in the right frame of mind to treat students."

He gave a half smile. "I can't say that I blame you," he said.

"However, my two sisters are both State registered hypnotherapists, and were intending to pick up the practice that I've ceased. They won't be doing it quite so much since their academic schedule is far more rigid than mine, but I was going to ask if you could see your way clear to allowing them the use of the room you let me use?"

He nodded. "Of Course," he said. "Same conditions apply. It will be available to them for as long as they continue to study here, but only for student clients. I've also been monitoring Sarah and am pleased to see that her grades have improved markedly from those she came to us with. Given your success with your own studying, and the improvement you've helped Sarah make, I'm sure you'd make a great teacher. If you ever find yourself at a loose end for employment, I'm sure we'd be able to find something for you here."

"That's very flattering thank you," I said. "But I'm pretty set on my career."

"Well bear it in mind," he said, "and thank you again. I can't express how much what you did yesterday means to the university. It's bad enough having had an active shooter on campus but it would have been much worse had any student been injured, or god forbid killed."

"I'm glad I could help," I said finally standing up.

"My regards to Rachel," I said as I made my way to the door. He smiled.

Since it was nearly nine, I made my way directly to the counsellor's office, and knocked.

"Come in," I heard her voice. I entered.

Jamie stood up smiling as I entered.

"Caleb," she said, "thank you for coming." She indicated one of the chairs in the small informal counselling area of her office. I took a seat wondering what this was about.

She sat and then took a deep breath.

"I know," she said, "that you don't think much of me, and I suppose to some degree that's my fault. I acted completely unprofessionally the last time, I mean when... well you know when I was talking about.

"However, it's my job as the student counsellor to look after the mental wellbeing of our students here, and nobody can argue that what happened yesterday was a traumatic event. Thankfully, and mostly thanks to you, nobody was injured. A number of students were traumatized by the events, and I have already spoken to many of your classmates.

"I am fairly sure of your answer, but I wanted you to know that if you needed someone to talk to about what happened yesterday, or anything else, I'm here."

I looked at her. I wondered if she really was badly affected by my Empathic attraction, and thought back to Sarah's mother. Would it be kinder to give her what she wanted? Would it make life easier for her in the long run?

I had, in reality, less than six months left at the school, and I was only attending a half day a week in any case. I could quite easily avoid her, but was that working for her, or was I just avoiding the issue and leaving her with a problem that she'd have to deal with in my absence.

"Thank you," I said. "To be honest, it wasn't much of a problem for me. My mind was too occupied trying to figure out how to stop him, preferably without anyone, including him, getting too badly hurt. I guess my work with the FBI, and the shooting, kind of has me a little emotionally calloused.

"I was glad that I didn't have to hurt him too badly to take him down, but even more so that nobody in the class got hurt. When he shot at the professor, I was really worried that he was badly hurt or worse. That was my primary reason for acting. If he hadn't done that I might have waited to see if the FBI negotiator could have made a difference. He was just to erratic and unstable. I didn't know that he wouldn't just shoot someone else for an equally nonsensical reason."

"I also heard what happened after," she said with a small smile. "What Dana and several other girls did."

I laughed a little self-consciously.

"Dana and I are good friends," I said. She raised her eyebrow at me. "I wasn't overly surprised when she kissed me. The other girls though, that was a surprise."

"Would it have surprised you that at least one of the boys had expressed an interest in thanking you in the same way?"

"Really?" I asked. I was indeed surprised. Not at all disturbed but wondered who. I hadn't really been looking nor had I pegged any of my ethics class as being gay or bi. I didn't ask though, knowing that she wouldn't tell me even if I did.

"It does a little," I said. "But not because I would be upset by it, just that I hadn't thought any of the guys in my class were that way inclined."

"One certainly is," she said. "But one other boy is struggling with his feelings toward you. He's repeatedly told me he's not gay, but he feels a real attraction to you. It's causing him some issues. I have to say, I can sympathise."

"I honestly don't know what to say about that," I said. "It seems I have some kind of reputation as a bit of a lothario, at least judging by the rumours that were circulating recently. I've certainly not made any inappropriate advances toward anyone. I'm sorry if I'm causing anyone any distress, but I don't know exactly what I could do differently. I'm hardly ever at the school in any case. I come in for one class, because it's mandatory attendance, and everything else is done remotely."

"Nobody is blaming you," she said. "I just thought you should know."

"Is there something you think I could do to help?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"I doubt it," she said. "Even if you were to allow them to express their feelings to and with you, who knows where it would lead. You already have so many lovers living with you. What is it now? Four fiancées and two sisters?

"And one of my sister's has a boyfriend who stays over some."

I saw her catch her lip between her teeth.

"And I have no doubt that you all..."

"That's not really a topic I want to get into," I said.

She shook her head.

"Of course not," she said.

She leaned back in her chair.

"Well," she said. "Some students in your class have asked if you'd be amenable to attending a group session. They would like the opportunity to talk to you, ask you questions, and thank you for saving them. If you're willing, I think it might help to give them some closure."

"When you say give them the opportunity to thank me?" I asked.

She chuckled. "I don't think we're talking about a gang-bang," she said. "They just want to talk to you, to express themselves. What happened is a big thing to them. The boys, even the ones I wasn't referring to earlier, are asking themselves why they didn't step up and do something. Why is it that they cowered in fear while you were the one to step in and deal with the shooter?"

"And you think that this is a good idea?" I asked.

"I think it will help them," she said. "I don't think it will help, or hurt, you. I know they almost all turned against you earlier this year, and you probably think that you don't owe them anything, but you already showed how good a man you are. You saved them Caleb. You did. People who'd turned against you, you stood up and protected them."

"I was protecting myself," I said. "And Dana. She's a good friend too."

"And while that's probably partially true, I think there was more to it." She told me. "You've proved time and time again, with me, Rachel, Melanie, Sarah, and many others, you're a good man. People don't always give you the credit you deserve because of your living arrangements, and because they judge everyone by their own standards, but you are. I'm hoping that you will see your way to helping your classmates again, with this."

"If I say yes," I said, "when would you want to do this?"

"Your professor has suggested using his session next week," she said. "He said he'd like to be there too, if you don't mind. I don't think everyone will attend, and if you agree he's going to send out an email to say that attendance is not mandatory, and every student will be credited with the session whether they attend or not."

"Can I think about it?" I asked.

"Certainly," she said. "We'd like an answer before the end of Monday though, just so arrangements can be made."

I nodded. "I'll let both you and him know," I said. I stood up. She looked me up and down.

"I've been married many years," she said, "and without doubt he and I have had our ups and downs. Yet I've never been tempted to stray, like I am now. I'll admit I want nothing more than for you to take me to bed and make me feel like I'm certain that you can.

"But that would be wrong, for so many reasons. It would be unprofessional and it would hurt my husband terribly. Somehow, I don't think it would do any damage whatsoever to your relationship. I've seen how your family is with you, and I'm sure that they wouldn't mind in the slightest. I envy you that."

"And you're telling me this because?"

"To say I'm sorry," she said. "I'm sorry I behaved so unprofessionally toward you, so many times. I transferred my own feelings and guilt for them, blaming you for my own shortcomings. I'm jealous of your family, not just because they have you, but because they have the kind of relationship with you that allows you to be who you are without guilt, shame, or recriminations. I only wish that more people could find love the way that your family have.

"Thanks for coming to see me, and for considering my request. And once again, thank you for what you did yesterday for my students."

I nodded to her and left her office. My mind a whirl, considering everything she'd said.

I headed for the range, where I knew I had four clients lined up for the day with the first due to arrive at ten.

I was just eating lunch when I got Dianna's text.

­_Sorry to tell you that your shooter from yesterday died in custody this morning. He hung himself with his sheets in a cell.

I put my sandwich down and re-read the text and wondered just how that made me feel.

Strangely I didn't actually feel anything. I'd had no relationship with the man, didn't even know his name, truth be told. That in itself had me thinking. Why had I not even inquired about his name? It was like I didn't care about him.

Should I have cared?

I considered the scenario, replaying it, but in this case presuming I was armed. What would I have done?

"I'd have shot him", I thought. "As soon as he pointed a gun at one of the students, I'd have put two in his chest."

Would I though? I'd already disabled his weapons, would it have been right to shoot him? Surely that would be murder.

Good point.

No, I wouldn't have shot him. I only shot Green because I didn't think fast enough to use TK - I had plenty of time yesterday. I could have pulled my weapon knowing that he was unarmed, and told him to put them down. He'd have pulled the trigger, and found that neither worked. He'd then be facing an armed man while unarmed himself.

What would he have done then? I wondered. Suicide by good Samaritan? Would he have charged me and tried to make me shoot him?