California Dreaming

Story Info
Tanner Nelson's wait is finally over...
13k words
4.78
4.2k
2
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~~ San Jose, California, March 2066 ~~

Juniper stood quietly with Jade as she finished getting ready, "It's fine, you're fine, he loves you." Jade nodded and flung her arms around Juniper, Annabella and Jasmine.

The three of them led out, Juniper, Annabella, and Jasmine taking their places across from the groomsmen as Jade came out resplendent in her white gown. The music swelled then abated as she arrived, smiling happily up at Zane. "Dearly beloved," the priest began speaking.

The wedding itself went off without a hitch, then the toasts and the reception dinner and party. Jade and Zane took the floor, dancing around the room for the first dance, then it was expected that the groomsmen danced with the bridesmaids. So Michael eagerly took Annabella into his arms, and James did the same with Jasmine. Juniper watched as the third groomsman walked over to her. "I... actually don't think we've met. I'm Tanner. Can I have this dance?"

"Juniper, and I would love to," she murmured. When he took her hand, she smiled up at him shyly and followed his lead, "Have you known Zane long?"

"Since college, anyway. We roomed together in the dorms at Stanford our first year. How about you?" he asked with a warm smile.

She wrinkled her nose slightly, "I met him four months ago when he interviewed me for a position here with Future Power Designs. I've known Jade for almost seven years now. We've worked on a couple of projects together for Michael."

"Oh, wonderful. Michael's a good guy. He's done quite well in Minnesota. I even worked a patent case for him once," he offered. "What did Zane rope you into doing for him?"

"I joined his robotics team," Juniper said softly. "California is very different from Minnesota."

Tanner laughed, "It is indeed. Not nearly as pretty either. Not as much to recommend it. In fact...," he trailed off, "I'm not entirely sure how Zane manages to bring on so many beautiful women engineers. He didn't... you know... drug your drink or anything when he took you out to dinner did he?" he joked. "Alien mind control? Secret government blackmail?"

She giggled softly, a faint blush on her cheeks as she ducked her head, "No, none of that. I had dinner with the two of them in Minnesota. I needed a change, and it was hard to refuse when Jade gave me puppy dog eyes after I visited out here the first time."

"She's something isn't she?" he asked, glancing over at Zane and Jade. "I don't think I've ever seen him so happy."

"Nor I, her," Juniper said softly, "They're good for each other I think. She's not so... hesitant as she used to be." She smiled, her eyes softening slightly, "Of course he's got excellent taste in jewelry."

"Jade wearing... Jade. It's almost cliche...," he chuckled softly. "Suits her, though." He paused then looked back to her. "You're an excellent dancer, by the way."

She smiled up at him, "Thank you, so are you." She moved closer to him as the rest of the guests joined the floor. "I'm glad they found each other." The two spent the rest of the afternoon talking to each other, then with other people as the reception ended.

++++++++++

It had been a bit over a month since the wedding, Juniper was hard at work when it came time. Someone had filed a patent suit against Future Power Designs on one of her products. She came to the meeting that morning. "Thank you for coming, Miss Young, please have a seat," Zane said calmly, Tanner was seated to his left. "Do you know why you are here?"

"Yes, Mister Fowler," Juniper murmured. She lifted her head from her hands, "Someone is claiming one of my designs infringes on their patent."

Tanner nodded, "Now, what can you tell us about your design?"

Juniper looked at him, then looked at Zane before rising to her feet and handing over two folders, "The suit that they're filing states that the product violates patent D twenty-four three sixty-seven dash-B." She paused, "They are claiming they hold the patent." She sat back down, "Patent D twenty-four three sixty-seven dash -B is invalid because of a prior patent on the material. The original patent is D twenty-one nine seventy-two."

She paused, "Patent D twenty-one nine seventy-two is, in point of fact, owned by, well... me, Juniper Young. The design is in production with Future Power Designs per the contract agreement I signed when I was hired. As documented on page sixty-four of the hiring contract, any designs I own patent for are exclusively for production by Future Power Designs for as long as I work for Future Power Designs or twenty-five years." Her nose wrinkled, "There is a lot more legalese behind that, but the gist is, he can't claim a patent on something that is already patented and is the intellectual property of someone else. I've held this patent for almost... three years."

She sat back down, carefully crossing her legs and sliding her hands down the pants, "The folders I have just handed you contain certified copies of the original patent information and application with the US Patent Office, the confirmed patent acceptance and notarization, and the document information that I agreed to when I signed on with Future Power Designs."

Tanner looked at the documents in the folders, then back up at her. Back and forth, several times, before tossing the folder down on the table, relaxing back in his chair and laughing. "Oh, Zane... This one is rare. You shouldn't let anything happen to her. She's going places."

Zane nodded, "I know. So we're good?"

Tanner nodded, "I'll take care of the suit. They won't want this to go to trial. Do you want royalties for them using your patent, Juniper? Or just a Cease-and-Desist order?"

Her nose wrinkled, "Whatever pleases, Mister Fowler."

Zane thought about it for a moment, "Are they working on something that will compete with us or using the technology in a different arena?"

"Currently a different arena, however they intend to compete with us in the future," Juniper offered, and then handed over the second set of folders from her bag. "When I received the email about this meeting last Friday I spent the weekend doing research. They've been trying to break into the same market as you for the past two years and have been stalled out at every turn. Their current chief engineer was also one of the professors when I was going for my doctorate, he was removed from the hearing board because it was a conflict of interest."

Zane thought about that for several long minutes, swiveling in his chair. Finally, he spoke. "I can't stop them from trying, so we're just going to have to be better than they are. Fortunately, I've got some impressive minds working for me to make that happen." He turned to Tanner, "Get with HR. Work out whatever royalty you think you can get and then have HR add it to Ms. Young's salary."

'I'll take care of it, Zane," he smiled. "It seems, quite obviously, well-earned."

Zane nodded, then looked at Juniper, "Just out of curiosity, what was the conflict of interest?"

Juniper blushed slightly, her eyes ducking, "Between the three of us?" At his nod, she shrugged, "He tried to collar someone who refused to kneel for him."

Zane chuckled softly and glanced at Tanner whose eyes widened in surprise, before muttering, "Good girl. Don't settle. You never know when the right person will come along. Michael could attest to that, as can I."

"Yes, Sir," Juniper murmured, "Do you need anything else from me?" She lifted her gaze slightly, giving them a slight smile.

Zane shook his head, "No, Juniper. You can get back to work. We'll take care of the rest." He paused, then added, "Good job."

"Thank you, Sir," she beamed at him and rose to her feet before slipping out with her bag just as quietly as she had entered.

As the door closed, she heard Zane's proud voice, "Best hire I've made since I took this job over from Bryan."

To this, Tanner replied, "She's really amazing," The door closed and their voices became muffled again.

++++++++++

~~ Palo Alto, California, August 2066 ~~

Jade was bustling around the house getting everything ready, it was the first munch she had ever hosted and she called Juniper. It didn't take her long to arrive and start assisting. "Easy Jade. I'll take over the cooking, you just get everything else ready," Juniper smiled at her, then drew her into a hug. "Zane loves you, desperately loves you. I'm here, I love you, it's all going to be just fine."

"I just don't want to disappoint him," Jade sniffed, tucking into Juniper's chest.

"When was your last menstrual? This isn't the Jade I know." Juniper said firmly.

"Um... Oh... Shit...," Jade blushed. "I'm two months... late."

"Alright, you wait here, I'll go get you a test."

Jade nodded distractedly, staring blankly into space as she put her hand over her stomach, "OK."

Juniper went to the convenience store and came back about fifteen minutes later, handing the pregnancy test to Jade and guiding her to the bathroom. "You test, then come sit and keep me company. I'll cook, yeah?" Jade nodded distractedly, and Juniper huffed before heading back to the kitchen. She pulled out her commlink, "Master Zane? What time will you be home?"

"Oh. Hi, Juniper. Probably... next forty-five minutes or so. Why?" he replied.

She paused as a squeal of hope and excitement came from the bathroom, "I was checking, but from the sounds of things you'll have a surprise when you get home, Master Zane. I'm currently putting together the snacks and meal for tonight's munch while Jade rests."

"Is... everything all right?" he asked. "Is she not feeling well?"

"Mostly nervous about tonight and worried that she's going to disappoint you, Master Zane." Juniper stated simply, "She was looking a little pale when I arrived, so I felt it better safe than sorry."

He sighed softly, "Thank you Juniper. She won't, but I'm still working on convincing her of that...,"

"She loves you more than anything and wants to please you, Master Zane. She'll come around eventually," Juniper offered in comfort.

"Thanks, Juniper. I'll see you in a little bit."

"See you soon, Master Zane," Juniper murmured, then hug up the phone and went to check on Jade, "Positive?"

"I'm... pregnant," Jade squealed in excitement, "Oh... I'm going to have a baby with Master." She hugged Juniper tightly, "Oh I feel light-headed."

"Let's get you to the couch and rest," Juniper helped her to the couch, then handed her a glass of sparkling cider and a light snack. "I've got food under control, you rest."

Jade nodded and pulled her down for another hug. "I'm so glad you came, Juni. I would have missed you so much!" she sniffled.

"Me too, Jade. Me too." She hugged Jade again, then released her to go check on dinner. When Zane arrived, she remained in the kitchen to give Jade and Zane some private time while she worked on dinner.

"Master," Jade breathed, wrapping herself around Zane, "I have news, Master."

He smiled at her, "What is it, my slave?" He kissed her forehead.

"We're having a baby, Master," Jade said with a mix of hope, trepidation, and joy. "Does that please you, Master?"

"Does that please me?" he asked firmly, in a stern voice, turning her to face him fully. Finally, his face broke into a grin. "Nothing could please me more. My slave is having my baby!" he gasped, gathering her into him. "You're carrying our child, Jade..."

She squealed in excitement and kissed him passionately before snuggling into him tightly. "We're going to have a baby!"

"Oh, my wonderfully good girl...," he breathed, squeezing her tightly. "I love you so much."

"I love you, Master," she cuddled into him, "Juniper took over cooking so I could rest." Her nose wrinkled, "It's not fair. She's hyper-intelligent and a really good cook."

"Why is that a problem?" he asked softly.

Jade was silent for a long moment, "Sometimes I get jealous of her,... and worry that I'm not good enough for you, Master."

"Jade, listen to me," he said softly. "I love you. I chose you just as you chose me. I married you. I want you. I don't need anyone else. Anything else. Just you."

She looked up at him, and then nodded, "Yours, Master." She snuggled into him tighter, "We're having a baby, Master!"

"Well," he chuckled, "You were begging me to breed you..." His hand dropped to her stomach.

"Yes, Master," she giggled softly.

The doorbell rang and Juniper stepped past them, "I'll get it, you two have some quiet enjoyment time." She opened the door, smiling up at the new arrival. "Good Evening."

Smiling back down at her was Tanner. "Well hello there, Miss Amazing. How are you doing this fine weekend?" he walked in with a bottle of wine.

Her nose wrinkled slightly, "I am well, thank you. Please, call me Juniper, Master Tanner. Miss Amazing is only out at work," she giggled softly, "Let me take that from you, Master Tanner. Jade and Zane are in the living room at the moment."

He blinked, glancing toward the living room, then murmured, "You're on kitchen duty, aren't you?"

"Yes, Master Tanner."

He nodded, "I'll come help. Jade's got that glowing look. I'm guessing I should leave them alone for a few."

"As it pleases you to do so, Master Tanner," she smiled and headed towards the kitchen, carefully putting the wine in the chiller. She moved back towards the stove, working on the meal for the evening.

As he passed the living room, Tanner called in, "Hey you two. I'm going to go in and see if I can help Juniper without screwing up the food too badly." He continued to the kitchen without waiting for a response.

Jade lifted her head to watch him go, "Hello, Master Tanner," she murmured but continued snuggled into Zane's chest.

Juniper smiled at him when he arrived, "I don't think you could screw up the meal, Master Tanner. I kept it fairly simple," she murmured. "A nice pot roast with baby potatoes and carrots with fresh bread."

"I think you vastly underestimate my powers of food-ruining, Juniper. I'm told it's similar to having a brown thumb in gardening," he said with an air of self-mocking.

Juniper giggled softly, ducking her head, "Then perhaps simply keeping me company would suit you more, Master Tanner?"

He shrugged, "I am happy to keep you company. I can fill glasses with ice if you wish, or stir something. It's more... the making of things that tends not to work out so well."

She smiled up at him, "Glasses would be nice, but I am unsure how many people are expected to arrive. I was not informed when Jade asked me to come and assist." She shrugged, giving him a sheepish smile, "I didn't think to ask, I was more concerned with getting her calmed down."

"She seemed calm enough. I'm guessing you did a fine job," Tanner remarked. "Somehow I'm not surprised." He began getting glasses down. "I've never seen more than about fifteen people at one of these. A decent proportion of the Masters here are... discerning. Selective. So inviting new people doesn't happen very often. Most of them have a slave already anyway, so the number includes them too."

Juniper nodded, her eyes going distant for a moment, "That's somewhat of a relief, most of the ones I experienced were, more...," she trailed off with a slight shrug. Focusing on checking on the pot roast, "Will your slave be joining us as well, Master Tanner?"

"I did say... most, yes? I am, probably through every fault of my own, still searching," he said softly. "For one reason or another, I just haven't been able to find... her."

Juniper's eyes widened briefly, then flickered closed for a moment before she murmured, "I understand, Master Tanner. I doubt it was through any fault of your own. Sometimes it's just harder to find the right one that fits you."

He nodded, "What was it Zane said to you? 'You never know when the right person will come along'? He says that to me too." Tanner shrugged, "So, I've been waiting. The right person is not, however, someone who wants to be with a boring lawyer simply for the paycheck we usually command. That, I have figured out," he said firmly.

"It would be silly to be unhappy just for monetary gain, Master Tanner," Juniper murmured, her nose wrinkled. "I wouldn't want someone who only wants my paycheck. That's part of the reason I left Minnesota, most of the Masters I met there were..., bedroom Masters."

He groaned, "That's another thing. So many people who just want to 'play' at this life occasionally. Like a mask they can put on and take off at will. 'Look at me, I'm kinky too...'," he sniffed. "I mean, they can do what they want, I guess, but... I can't turn... me... off." He finished lining up the glasses on the table and filled a bowl with ice and tongs.

She nodded in agreement, giving him a soft smile over a shoulder, "I know the feeling, Master Tanner." She turned back to stirring the gravy, "I met someone who claimed she was a slave in Minnesota," she paused with a soft giggle, "I think she was trying too hard to be a Cali-girl. Every other word out of her mouth was 'like' and then she went on about how when she meant business she'd take off her collar to show her Master who was boss." She shook her head, "I called her a nitwit and said that if she wanted to play like that, hook up with David and get the hell out of my house."

He chuckled, admiring her feistiness. "Who's David?" he asked, still chuckling.

"A bedroom Master that was chasing Annabella for a bit then tried to swap to me. He was too much... petite infant. Wanted a mother more than a slave." She shook her head, "I don't need someone who feels the need to control every microscopic second of my life. My Master will only need to give a general overview, some basic guidelines, and then just expect it to get done."

"Well, yes. The more capable the slave, the more blessed the Master that owns her," he stated as if it were obvious.

She nodded, "So, while they're canoodling on the couch," she flicked the switch to turn the heat down to very low on the stove, "What does Master Tanner do for fun?"

"Well... Sometimes I go to munches to visit with friends," he offered with a chuckle. "Occasionally, I go to the movies or play an occasional game. Jade has kind of taken over the roleplaying game that Zane and I were playing in since she has the most time..."

She nodded, "She's trying to convince me to come to play, but I don't want to intrude," she paused, "It's been a while since I've actually rolled physical dice."

"You should join us," he stated. "She's really very good, and the games are always interesting and well-thought-out."

She chewed on her lower lip, "Alright, if you're sure...," she looked up at him, "I'm probably going to need help building a character." She blushed slightly, "I haven't played in a bit over a year. All of my energy was focused on wrapping up getting my doctorate in robotics."

"Said every doctoral candidate ever...," he chuckled. "It's fine. Jade, I, or Zane can help. There's another couple that you'll meet tonight that plays as well."

"Thank you, Master Tanner. It is appreciated." She smiled up at him, then turned to check the food, "We've got about fifteen minutes on everything, what would you like to do?"

"Well, we're still waiting on people and it's quiet, tell me about Juniper Young," he stated.

She bit her lip, moving to one side and leaning back against the counter, "I'm twenty-seven. A long-term slave seeking a Master. I'm the proud holder of two doctorates, one in Computer Engineering, the second and most recent Robotics Engineering. I like movies, but prefer sitting at home to going out, action and comedy over romance. I'm not fond of the 'make one look like an idiot to make the other look better' trope that seems to find its way so often into the romances of the silver screen." She paused, chewing on her lower lip, "I'm fond of hole-in-the-wall restaurants over fancy places. I like rock and roll and heavy metal. I'm not big on country or rap,..." she trailed off. Then with an impish twinkle, "And I think you look very nice in a tux."