All Comments on 'Card with a Heart'

by panaflora

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You're a deep one. You make connecting look effortless. Not so much for me. It took me until the 2nd ambush. Your focus on the card brought it all back. My life's love said the best card I ever gave her was homemade because we were destitute while getting to know each other. I still have it. Thank you so much with a huge smile. You made my day again. Happy Holidays!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A bit long but worth every second it took to read it

panaflorapanafloraover 1 year agoAuthor

Comment: *The so called "Morning After Pill" was not available for use in the USA until July 1999 and then, only by prescription. It wouldn't have been available as you described until recently.*

You are correct concerning the so-called Plan B pill. However the FDA authorized use of conventional birth control pills in higher doses (i.e., multiple pills) for emergency contraception in the late 1970s. The Pill was not marketed in that manner, but its use was an open secret. "Emergency contraception pills" would have been a better word choice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

insanely good writing. I sense some sort of personal connection to these events.

crystal_fancrystal_fanover 1 year ago

Quite enjoyed the read, thank you! I'm particularly pleased Doug didnt become a deranged stalker, etc; it would have detracted from the story. Sometimes, you just want a pleasant "boy meets girl" story, and the was exactly it.

SagellliniSagellliniover 1 year ago

One look at my name and you might guess my connection to this story. Another clue was your name (for those not in the know, Pana and Flora are mid-state Illinois towns near Champaign.

I was trying to figure out the real life names of the pizza places you named, and the dorm that you used (maybe ISR).

It also took me back to late nights on the Plato terminals playing the precursors to today's video games (Illinois has always been a leader in computer technology).

Nice story. Ignore the fussbudgets.

And Go Illini!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved the story, made me feel good about life. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A nice little Romance with all the key ingredients that is definitely 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I didn't notice some of the factual creativity when reading the story. Some I was aware of but it's fiction. Even now I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the story for the emotional and sexual content. It was a welcome diversion from a painful reality, and the pain of too many other lives cut short. For those reasons alone a gave it 5 stars while lamenting the factual slips. I suspect you were in a hurry and I appreciate your intent. Fiction isn't history but can distort what people actually believe. That can be a serious problem if it enables convenient beliefs. It is also a common mistake of many players, that reality is subjective and malleable and the little things don't matter. Wisdom includes awareness that all the little things really do matter. Especially if you want to achieve full potential and the right kind of respect. And keep people reading of course. But I do appreciate your intent and I'm still smiling at that. Please keep writing, I'm intrigued by what I've seen so far.

panaflorapanafloraover 1 year agoAuthor

Let me try to put some of this to bed. 1) The story is mostly set in the mid-1970s. It ends c. 2005, because the lovely old gentlemen who gave me some critical biographical details (his memory is still sharp as a tack, and he's nearing 70) pointed out that the final sex scene would be more plausible if the MCs were in their fifties at the time.

2) Concerning emergency pills, he absolutely confirmed that multi-dose pills were dispensed on campus for this purpose around this time. Just to be crystal clear, these were what is colloquially known as "The pill," and had nothing to do with today's single dose Rx.

3) Treno's was a real venue. In the words of John Matras (1970): The word bar “doesn’t really describe Treno’s, which was more of a tavern. No doubt beer sold on Saturday night paid the rent, but Treno’s also served excellent pizza and juicy burgers on black bread.” It looks like the site at Goodwin and Oregon is now the home of The Bread Company.

4) The commute from the pottery job would have been a short one, because the MC is clearly stated to have worked that job during summer break. The implication is that he was living with his parents in Peoria, not in the dorm, over the summer.

5) As for the 5 point grading scale, He says "You're wrong." shrug

6)The ROTC friend did not end up in 'nam, for reasons unknown. But he sure got his shit together within a year.

Oh, panaflora is a made-up word representing my wide interests in botany.

Davester37Davester37over 1 year ago

This is a great story and I enjoyed reading it very much. The characters are well-developed and likable. I always appreciate an actual setting in time and place, and you brought me right to a place that I’ve never been. My memories of that time period certainly don’t contradict what you’ve written, but I honestly don’t remember what pharmaceuticals were available at the campus health clinic! I was very aware of the emerging IT jobs becoming available during that era, and it rings true with me.

As always, thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

That was a cute story. It brought back some fond memories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Why did you remove the comment about the morning after pill? If you are going to respond to them, you should leave them for all to see. Now will you remove this one….?

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 1 year ago

Somehow this author manages to hold my attention without high drama. The characters are well developed and I have no trouble rooting for them in their travels through life. I see no need to nitpick the plots and just feel comfortable as the stories cruise along to a well thought out conclusion. 5* for a knack with feel-good fiction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I love romance with sex - emphasis on romance. This story fits the bill perfectly!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I liked that the wife’s identity was a mystery in the beginning but the fact that he only dated Vicki after his first breakup wastes that little bit of suspense. Would have liked a bit more use out of that initial setup. Otherwise a sweet story.

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens10 months ago

A sweet story! One of the best I have read in this category. Definitely five stars.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Loved it!!! 5+

01Timber6701Timber677 months ago

Awesome 5⭐️ story about true love

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

i have tried reading other genres/categories but keep returning 2 romantic so much more satisfying fulfilling i admit 2 being a hopeless somewhat sad romantic thank you 4 a wonderful warming story i will read another now then stop n leave rest 2 savour later b4 being left 2 rereading hopefully u will write some more

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Perfection

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Outstanding!!! 5+

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous