Career Advancements

Story Info
A new career comes with a high cost.
8.1k words
3.19
51.1k
45
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mark had been with the same tech company for 5 years when his recruiter Jason presented a new opportunity.

"The company is a little different than you are used to, but it's a lot more money than you are currently making. Plus, cost of living in North Carolina is much lower than California," Jason explained. "I've set up a zoom meeting for Tuesday, but they want to meet with your wife too."

"What?" Mark asked. "Why do they want to meet with my wife?"

"I don't know," Jason replied. "I think they are a very conservative company, they went off about the importance of family. They are located in the south. I really won't worry about it."

"Ok, set up a meeting, I'll hear what they have to say," Mark replied.

When Mark got home, he told his wife Alison about the job interview he had set up. "I think the salary is around 200K but we would have to move to North Carolina."

"Wow! That's a lot of money, But I thought you hated the South," Alison responded.

"We'll I'm not thrilled about living there but from what I hear, Charlotte is more like a North East city. Many people from the New York area have moved there."

Alison was ready to hear what they had to say. She was actually happy to be part of the interviewing process. It made her feel included.

Tuesday came and Mark was interviewed. Toward the end of the interview Mr. Jacobs asked to talk to Alison for a bit.

"Hello Alison, I am Robert Jacobs. We are very interested adding Mark to our team. Can you tell me about your relationship?" Robert Asked.

"Well, we've been married a year and dated for 3 years before that. We me after collage and fell in love shortly after that." Alison replied.

"Do you have any children? Planning on having any?" Robert responded.

"We don't have any yet, but yes we plan on having them when we are in a situation to." Alison responded.

"That is wonderful news," Robert exclaimed. "We at Worthington & Associates are very family oriented. Actually, we look at our members as one big family. Every one of our employees is married. As long as your life goals coincide with our directive you will thrive here."

Later that day, Mark received an offer for $250K. "I guess we are moving to NC," he told his wife.

Three weeks later

Mark and Alison had gone from a small apartment to a large home in a gated community. They could not believe the size of the house they moved to. A house that would have been 2 million dollars in California was now their reality. It was almost a little overwhelming to furnish the place as there were so many rooms to fill. All of their old belongings could fit into a Sprinter van. So, they were basically starting from scratch.

When Mark started, he had a 3 day training session with a few of the other new recruits. They were all poached from other successful tech company start ups. Mark quickly made friends with another new recruit, Stephen. Like him, Stephen was about his age and had also recently got married. Stephen and his wife had just moved in from Connecticut. They were also getting adjusted to their new lives here.

The recruits were giving a history lesson about Worthington and Associates. The company had been around for 60 years and owned pattens on many tech and software designs. W&A keeps a quiet profile but secretly generates billions of dollars in royalties for their tech in many of the products we all use every day.

The recruits also learned about the Partners. These Partners worked along the other employees but made 10 times what the regulars made. About half the employees there were Partners. It was a great honor to be chosen as one. The recruits were told that if they worked extra hard and fit into the culture, they may one day be offered a partner position. Partners put the company before all was a mantra commonly repeated.

As time passed, Mark and Alison settled into their new lives. Mark was working long hours and felt bad that Alison didn't know anybody. One day they received a knock on the door. There stood a man of about 40 with long black hair and a leather jacket. He was holding a basket filled with wine and cheese.

"Hello, My name is Antonio. I live across the street from you. I wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood."

Alison invited him and called her husband down to meet him. Antonio looked like he was from the cover of some romance novel. He had an Italian accent and was very poetic with his soft spoken voice. Alison cracked open one of the bottles of wine and entertained the new neighbor.

Antonio owned a small import business in town which imported fine foods from Italy. After the 3 chatted for about an hour, Antonio learned that Alison was looking for a new job. He offered her a part time position at his company to help with the order fulfilment.

"You seem like a very intelligent woman and I need someone who can help at the office a few days a week. Alison had been bored out of her mind since moving in and took him up on his offer immediately. Mark was a little worried about Antonio's flirty nature but thought this would also be a good opportunity for Alison to make a bit of a life of her own in this new environment.

Mark was continually busy at work. He kind of fell right into the position he was given and was making great strides. At work, he became good friends with Stephen. Stephen was also in a similar position socially (not knowing anyone) so he invited Mark and Alison over for a Saturday night dinner.

Alison liked her new job. There were a lot of young women her age or a little younger working at the company. Shortly after settling in, they started treating her as one of the crew asking her to come to post work drinks at a local restaurant. Since, she got out of work at 4 and Mark was not usually home until 7 she began to take them up on their offers. Many of the woman at her office were single. Almost all of them had a crush on Antonio. Alison liked living vicariously through her new work crew. They remined her of some of her friends during her college days. She was happy she had some friends to hang out with, things were starting to come together, and Mark was happy she was able to make some new friends.

When Mark got home, he told Alison of a dinner party at his coworker Stephen's house they were invited to. Alison was happy to get to meet some of the people at Mark's company.

On Saturday evening, they arrived at Stephen's house. Stephen invited them in and told them his wife Jenna would be down to join them soon. Alison liked what they had done with their furnishings having just going through that task herself. When Jenna entered the room Mark could not believe what a beauty she was. Jenna had thick wavy strawberry blond hair and freckles. Her body looked like she did yoga all day and wore a very stylish summer dress. Stephen was also pleased with Alison's looks. He loved her thin frame and long almost white, blonde hair. Both women had stunning eyes but while Jenna's were green, Alison's were blue.

The two women hit of off fairly well. They both had a lot in common with the move. Jenna was finishing up her law degree and was working on getting certified in NC. She would be busy taking a course for the next year before she could work there.

While Mark and Alison had a somewhat of an equal marriage. Once could easily see that Jenna wore the pants in their family. Stephen was totally infatuated with his wife and seemed to be at her beck and call. Although Jenna held all the power in their relationship, she didn't abuse it.

The night went well with the 2 couples discussing their new lives in Charlotte and how much bigger their houses were. Soon the ladies were exchanging numbers and making plans to get together.

"Are you guy going to the company lunch next Saturday?" Stephen asked.

"Yes, I think we are all required to go," Mark replied. "I guess we will see you there then."

Mark and Alison thanked Stephen and Jenna for having them over and said their goodbyes.

* * * * *

The next week was more of the same. Mark working long hours and Jenny drinking with the girls after work. Alison soon learned that Antonio went running every day before work around the neighborhood. She soon became Antonio's daily running partner.

"So, I've been running in the morning with Antonio," she told Mark. "He is really good, It's good to have someone pushing me."

Mark did not like this one bit, his wife running with Fabio while he flirts with her and gives her attention that he can not. "Ok, do what makes you happy, do I have anything to worry about?"

"Eww, no! Antonio may be a bit of a player, but I can keep him in check," Alison gushed.

Eventually Saturday came, Mark and Alison headed over to the company lunch. As the pulled into the country club the event was held at, the parking lot was filled with expensive sports cars. It was an outdoor picknick like event except it was catered and had a terrific spread of food and top shelf liquor. The women all had elegant dresses on and were wearing pretty hats and jewelry. The men wore mostly golf attire.

Alison was amazed to see they had a small orchestra playing classical music live. There were also waiters caring champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

"Wow," Alison said. "I feel underdressed," wearing white shorts and a top.

"I'm sure it's fine," Mark replied. "They'll understand, it's our first event."

The couple made their way through the party when Mark spotted his boss.

"This is my boss George," Mark said as he introduced his wife.

George grabbed her hand and kissed it. "What a beautiful wife you have Mark." He turned his head to Alison, "Your husband has been doing some great work for us. I've heard rumblings that if he keeps up the good work, he could make Partner in a couple years' time. Let me introduce you to my wife Gloria."

"Hello, I'm Gloria," Gloria winked. "So this is the new wizkid I've heard so much about. And you must be his lovey wife Alison. You should be happy you decided to join our family. You two should fit right in."

Mark was happy to be talked up in front of his wife. He started feeling like he made the right choice in his new career.

Alison was introduced to a few more colleagues when she spotted Jenna. The two couples quicky found each other and grabbed a table. When Mark and Stephen left the table to talk to some other colleagues, the girls got talking.

"I was talking to one of the other wives," Jenna beamed. "They think Stephen may make Partner in a couple years!"

"Someone said that about Mark too," Alison said with a confused look on her face. "What's so important about becoming a Partner anyway?"

"Oh shit, you don't know?" Jenna asked. "Did you see all the Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the parking lot? The Partners drive those. The reason is because they make millions per year. It's like they are all part owners of the extreme wealth this company has. If you become a Partner here, you and your family are pretty much set for life. In one years' time, you could have your entire house paid off and a shore house somewhere."

The girls continued to talk about their possible futures when Gloria sat down at their table.

"Hello, girls! How is everyone doing today?" Gloria asked.

"We were just discussing what a wonderful company this is," Jenna beamed. "They host such wonderful events."

"Oh, this little thing?" Gloria dismissed their excitement. "This is nothing, I probably shouldn't tell you this but the Partner's party in Hawaii last month made this look like a school event. The helicopter ride over the volcano was breathtaking. Hopefully, your husband's will be offered a partnership one day as well. Better get busy meeting all the Partner's wives. They have as much say as the husbands on who gets approved."

The 2 women look at each other a little shocked. "The Partner's wives have a say too?" Alison asked.

"Oh, yes! We Partners are one big family in everyone's eyes. They say you can't pick your family but here new family members can be picked, and are!" Gloria continued. "Once you are in, you are in for life. It is a huge deal to get selected. Think of these get-togethers as an audition of sorts. You will need to win the wives if you want any kind of chance. Here, take my number and send me yours. We hold small get togethers from time to time. Attending these would be a good way to meet everyone and get your foot in the door."

After exchanging contacts Gloria left the table to talk to someone else. "Shit!" Jenna gasped. "We better have our husband's make some more introductions before we leave today."

Alison nodded in agreement.

As the weeks went on, Mark was given a new project at work which required much of his time. It seemed like he was home less and less. Luckily, Alison loved her new job and had made lots of friends. She managed to keep herself busy when her husband was working. Mark decided that he needed to do something with his wife to reconnect. They made dinner plans with Stephen and Jenna.

Mark was always excecated to see Jenna. He had a little bit of a crush on her added her to his private time repertoire. He could see why Stephen followed her around like a lovesick puppy dog. He loved her take charge attitude which was different than Alison who was shier.

Alison also noticed her husband's crush on her new friend. She thought it was cute in a way and would make fun of him for it when they were alone.

During the dinner party, Mark had noticed how close Alison and Jenna had become. At times it seemed like they had been best friends for years. He chalked it up to them both being fish out of water and finding each other. They even had some inside jokes. Mark thought they must talk a lot on the phone because he didn't know of any occasions where they actually hug out together alone.

At one point in the night, Mark and Stephen were coming up from the basement and the girls where chatting and laughing in the kitchen.

"What's so funny?" Mark asked.

"Oh, I was just telling Jenna how goofy Antonio is sometimes," Alison replied.

Mark was not a fan of Antonio to begin with, he didn't like how Antonio occupied his wife's mind when they should be having fun with friends. He however, kept quiet about it and the night continued.

The night out together went well. If fact, it was just what the doctor ordered. Everyone had a great time and both couples had a great night of sex when it was done.

A few more months passed while Mark and Alison fell into a routine. Mark was all about work and Alison kept a busy social life with her single friends from work. A few times Mark even beat Alison home from work. She was always trying new places around town learning all about her new home city. Alison even started taking dance lessons at a local studio. Mark was a little upset to learn that Antonio also took of some lessons at the same studio, and they would work on some moves together from time to time.

"Alison, I'm feeling a bit uncomfortably with you spending so much time with Antonio," Mark expressed.

"Mark, he is my boss and a friend, you have nothing to worry about," Alison would reply.

Mark really didn't have an answer to that. He trusted his wife but knew what Antonio's intentions were. As long as she shut down any advances, there was really nothing he could do about it.

Antonio was spending more time with his wife than he was at this point. He would see her every day at work, they would run in the morning, and now the dancing lessons.

Mark also noticed Alison was on her phone a lot. She would act secretly at times and turn the phone away from Mark so he couldn't see it. Mark had no idea who she was talking to so much. He assumed it was her friends from work. That was at least what he had wished.

One time Alison said she was going out with friends. Mark decided to walk by Antonio's house and he noticed his garage door open but his Alpha Romeo convertible was missing as well. Mark hoped this was just a coincidence.

* * * * *

After a few more months, Mark was called into his Boss's office on a Monday morning.

"Mark, people have noticed how well you have been doing around the office. There is a lot of talk about making you a partner. Is this something you are interested in pursuing?" he asked?

"Of course, I am very excited to be offered this opportunity," Mark replied.

"Ok then, you will need to take the blood test later today. We screen all our candidates and it's non-negotiable. The company will have a retreat this weekend at an exclusive location. A car will be at your house at 9 am sharp this Saturday morning. The event is all day Saturday, and we will return on Sunday. Because this is such short notice and because you will need to give up your Saturday, we are giving you tomorrow off to spend with your wife. You can use this time to get everything in order," George, Mark's boss said.

Mark was more than ecstatic with the news he received. When he returned to his desk, he saw the invitation email outlining the details about the weekend. He noticed that 3 other "non-Partner" employees were also on the list. 2 of them had worked there a couple more years than Mark. Stephen was the other person on the list. Mark was happy that Stephen was also chosen. It would have been awkward if one of them moved up without the other as they were such good friends. Mark was not counting any chickens but being on this short list was extremely encouraging.

Mark next called Alison to share the news. She was above the moon with the news as well. "Things could be looking up for us baby!" Mark beamed as he hung up the phone.

* * * * *

For the first time in a while, Mark got to sleep in on a Tuesday morning. Alison was up at her usually time. He looked up to see his gorgeous wife in her tight running gear. She tried to be as quiet as possible, and he pretended to be asleep until she left the room.

Being a nice spring day, his bedroom window was cracked open. All of the sudden, he heard Antonio's voice talking to Alison. He was there to join her for her run and had no idea Mark was home.

"Good morning sunshine! Don't we look pretty today," Antonio said. "I hope you are ready to get sweaty, I'm going to push you extra hard."

"Last time if I recall, you were the one out of breath!" Alison laughed.

"Well, you do get my heart pumping," Antonio replied. "Look, as you know the wine shipment comes in this week. I've having a celebratory event at my house this Saturday night that I would love you to attend. You can even bring that husband of yours if needed," Antonio laughed.

"Well, Mark will be out of town this weekend, I guess I could swing by alone for a little bit?" Alison replied.

"Even better, I will make sure your get taken care of. Don't worry about a thing," Antonio replied.

And the two were off running. Mark didn't like his wife going to be alone with that womanizer putting the moves on her but he trusted his wife so there wasn't anything he could do.

The following day Mark was back at work. He was working on a group project with Stephen and an older non-Partner coworker Ray.

"I heard you guys got the partner call. Congratulations!" Ray said.

"Thanks, I guess you never got the call? You've been here a long time correct?" Mark asked Ray.

"No, I was offered a partner position, but I wasn't interested," Ray said.

"Why not?" Mark asked. "Why wouldn't you want to make ten times the money for doing the same work?"

"Well, I've signed a pretty extensive NDA so I can't say much. However, I make a pretty damn good salary for my position already. More than enough to live a comfortable life. My wife and I are pretty private people. We like to keep our work lives separate. I'd just prefer to keep company of my own choosing," Ray explained.

"Fair enough," Mark replied as they continued on with their day.