All Comments on 'Caricature Valentines'

by Tonyspencer

Sort by:
  • 110 Comments
Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 2 years ago

It was a bit mushy to get through, sort of like mud encrusted Wellies, what? However, the story was great, and the revelations just kept coming. VERY well done! Still sad that the fu*king partners are going to walk away scott free, but the children benefit through with that leverage. However, after the final i is crossed and the final t is dotted in the dissolution, several identical flash drives given to the wives by a party or parties unknown... The ex-wife would have zero recourse. Just sayin'.

.

5+++/5!!

TajfaTajfaover 2 years ago

I liked it but as with many of these stories I wanted to hear more from her. What happened and why? Did she love him at all? 4 stars for a well written story.

robinhodrobinhodover 2 years ago

Liked it. Lot of charm. Pretty silly, but what's the harm?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You seem very much in love with the sound of your own voice and a great admirer of your own cleverness. Me, not so much.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 2 years ago

its funny, this was a 5 star from jump but all the little cuckies are pissed because he dumped a whore on Valentines day......booooo whoooo booooo whoooooooooooooo

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Yayyy! Well done! Thank you.

LWlurker

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
just

stupid it was just about him not confornting her but more about him made no sense

WetheNorthWetheNorthover 2 years ago
Excellent tale

Well presented

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 2 years ago

It was a bit disconnected at some areas.

But the end...well, it ended well for Ken.

But confrontation between Ken and Lydia would have put some drama into the story.

Anyways, nice work Tonyspencer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nice twist.

Great story.

PowersworderPowersworderover 2 years ago

I really enjoyed it, but it's a shame it ended there.

Confrontation scenes are always entertaining, but I find the aftermath, where the unfaithful wife has to deal with the consequences of her infidelity to be the most satisfying part of a BtB story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good stuff. Full marks. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story & great setup TonyS. Loved it! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done. You really described the feeling of going out in public after being locked down. Fun read and lovely ending. Lydia get’s what she deserved. One of my wife’s and mine favorite pictures is a caricature of us…drawn about 15 years ago.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 2 years ago

So, he was married for 10 years. Why is he made out to be an ignorant, sub-par intelligent person when he is meant to be a writer, a journalist, in fact. Obviously not an investigative journalist as he never seems to engage his brain. Then he allows himself to be totally manipulated by numerous people over this Valentine's day anniversary. His wife cheats and manipulates him for years, a group of people manipulate and control him... and he sees NOTHING. Is he also mentally retarded? Just ridiculous.

Bh76Bh76over 2 years ago

Clever. I enjoyed it!

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 2 years ago

ending was too convoluted with zero emotion

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It started out slow and lethargic, but actually turned into a pretty decent story.

Slick742Slick742over 2 years ago

Great job. Grabs the reader and doesn't let go. Happy Valentines Day loyal ones. SK742

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Why change anything in his petition? Adultery should stay. Presentation of all his evidence to the spouses of all participating partners should be made. He and his children are suffering, why not spread that out to cover the people causing it. I never understand why you authors think that's a good part of your story line, never causing the people who destroyed your life any discomfort.

GarySmith69GarySmith69over 2 years ago

I liked it. Understated and probably far more real than most stories on this site thanks.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 2 years ago

First page was dreadfully boring, absolutely nothing happened. She was late, AGAIN, on their anniversary, no less, she's obviously cheating, and he won't even consciously think it.

\

I don't see calling her husband "blind and stupid" is in any way derogatory to her. It says that she's attractive, and that he was stupid to cheat on her.

\

A little too Deus ex Machina with all the inter-relationships.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A wonderful story; most pleasant despite the sad circumstances.

I will be certain to follow this scribe’s future offerings. For this entry, I am most grateful.

I elope rolling up the sleeves for a good “ground-and-pound” BTB, but author tempered the situation with well-placed humor.

Popcorn_and_StoriesPopcorn_and_Storiesover 2 years ago

Great story. Everyone gets what they deserve without unnecessary violence. I liked the setting being a familiar restaurant, and finding out how the characters were connected. 5*

jmmj5jmmj5over 2 years ago

That was incredibly well done (IMHO)

Sucked me in right from the beginning, and I could feel his pain and frustration through the reading. I thoroughly enjoy getting to read stories set outside of the US. Very nice with the revelations.

I tend to agree with LPN below that at some point in time in the future the partners' wives need to be given a clue.

I hope you write another.

Regguy69Regguy69over 2 years ago

Excellent! Now that’s my kind of BTB. No dead bodies, no whining husbands begging for the cheating bitch to reform and come back to him. Looks like he’s headed into a relationship with some rather formidable ladies!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story, a little bit of the Super Man/MI6 scenario. Was hoping for more of an average Joe dealing with life. But this was a very nice read.

lujon2019lujon2019over 2 years ago

Seemed a little too convoluted

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I hate how they always say they won't tell the others. Why not ruin their marriages?

tangledweedtangledweedover 2 years ago

What a very proper British way of dropping the hammer on the offending spouse.

imhaplessimhaplessover 2 years ago

Original; I like original. 5*

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 2 years ago

Very clever! In a venue where original plots are few and far between, this was a breath of fresh air. I did think that it was unusually fortuitous that there was an attractive single woman at the next table, but the subterfuge didn't strike me until it was disclosed. The author has the usual "I vs me" pronoun problem, but overall it was a good effort. 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

That was very fun to read. Well done.

.

If there was a single thing to complain about, it would be that the exposition of Lydia’s cheating was not really addressed…nor was the evolution of Ken’s decision process to arrive at what he had decided to do at the dinner.

.

But a solid 4 **** effort. More please!

26thNCuck26thNCuckover 2 years ago

1 Star

Trash.

-26thNC

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

the slut got just what she deserved

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Endlessly tedious.

francemanfrancemanover 2 years ago

very original. 5⭐

Well done.

Thank you for sharing.

FireFox59FireFox59over 2 years ago

Good little Valentine tale. I would still burn the law firm down.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story, perfect comeuppance for the selfish lawyer wife. 5 Life lived well is the best revenge.

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAover 2 years ago

The story was well told if a bit drawn out. Convoluted, of course. No story told like the is naturally realistic however, that is the beauty of a uniquely told BTB story. Good job.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 2 years ago

Well done, the setup was near perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thanks for this story! Would love to see an update though explaining the aftermath. That is the best part of these stories for me, as some others have said.

SkubabillSkubabillover 2 years ago

Definitely a fun read and I almost passed on it.

demanderdemanderover 2 years ago

Good job. But I did miss the violence. Or, at the very least, massive embarrassment! (But he gets to keep the kids.) D

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done and well written. One of the best stories I've read here in quite a long time.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 2 years ago

Loved it - fresh and funny as hell in the end. We’ll done! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Trying to be "too clever" and "too British" you got things so mixed up that it was hard to follow.

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingover 2 years ago

Thank you for the work to give us some free entertainment. I very much enjoyed it and it kept my interest from work one to the end. I had no idea that the people around him were anything more than what they seemed to be. Nice job.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 2 years ago

Really enjoyed the story. The twists and turns were very interesting. I enjoyed the ending. Thanks for writing.

SikemSikemover 2 years ago

A very nice story, and well written.

DaddyWarBucksDaddyWarBucksover 2 years ago

Well written, but totally unreal.

KRD19254KRD19254over 2 years ago

Outstanding, love the surprising twists, masterfully written, salutes.... Lydia's feet were cut off all the way to her knees - masterful.

/

The only issue I have is the full Partners will get off Scott-free, They need some pain in their lives for ALSO being cheaters. Maybe sending their wives a copy of the USB stick. Why is it in L - if it is not Doctors/Nurses or Realtors it is over privileged Lawyers/Politicians?

/

6*, Hooyah, Salutes....

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Protracted start, I waded through it hoping that some of the details would turn out to be relevant later in the story-but they weren't. Improbability piled on improbability at the end. It was tempting to believe that the author was deliberately trying to make us laugh at a farce.

Welcome to the tattered ranks of writers who choose the LW category but can't spell 'discreet'.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

Yeah whatever this was meant to be, was a goal never achieved.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What kind of people schedule schedule a wedding on Valentine's Day? That's like saying to all guests, "Any plans you may normally do on this day, give them up to be at OUR special day." Also any anniversary celebrations once again offer the same conflict. No sympathy for either of them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Im going out on a limb here, but isn't this supposed to be FICTION? I had a fun read, and got to forget the troubles of the world for a bit. THANK YOU!!

BigBlueKatBigBlueKatover 2 years ago

Nice twist and good story.

Much enjoyed! 5/5

maxx308maxx308over 2 years ago

Enjoyed your story, many thanks for sharing. 😊

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

lots of fun! thanks for the very original plot twists :)

ribnitinribnitinover 2 years ago

Good story, but the characters' relations with each other got a little confusing.

kirei8kirei8over 2 years ago

This story screams for a part 2. Please stop the screaming and write it!

Wonderman1Wonderman1over 2 years ago

Wonderful story that makes you happy for the MC. There is life after divorce.

adegeromeadegeromeover 2 years ago

Long and tedious with far too much unnecessary information. And surely requires grammatical editing.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 2 years ago
Agree With Anon”Protracted start.”

I was beginning to think that the Brits (who also do not seem to know how to spell nor pronounce ‘aluminum’) actually have reversed the two words ‘discrete’ and ‘discreet’! Gotta check my O.E.D. to make sure we upstart Rebels (I live too far below the Mason-Dixon Line to ever identify as a Yank) haven’t screwed it up! Too many other languages have another ‘i’ near the end of AL.

P.S. Thanks for the try at Zulu timekeeping TonyS, but then you shouldna used ‘AM’ for an ‘afore noon’ time!

tralan69ertralan69erover 2 years ago

Excellent story

I liked the story. Well written, funny, with a few twists.

Thank you, keep writing.

@sbrooks103x

First page was dreadfully boring, absolutely nothing happened. She was late, AGAIN, on their anniversary, no less, she's obviously cheating, and he won't even consciously think it. - Then why did he have the divorce papers with him!

\

I don't see calling her husband "blind and stupid" is in any way derogatory to her. It says that she's attractive, and that he was stupid to cheat on her. - They both came to that conclusion in the story. You must still be skimming stories.

\

A little too Deus ex Machina with all the inter-relationships. - It worked very well. A problem?

stewartbstewartbover 2 years ago

This story thread could have been thought of and used for "The A Team". An old TV show of con men ... setting up a con for the general good of who ever was wronged.

Bronco56Bronco56over 2 years ago

I liked your story. It kept my interest. I would of liked to see what happens to the wife and her partners. And a little more with Lottie and Ken

5⭐

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The jobs named, are those that are the most likely to cheat due to the hours being so flexable. Nice story, well presented and enjoyed the quick change of the course once the wife showed up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nice. Satisfying. A bit contrived, but an entertaining tale of this length needs to be, so you did what you had to do.

cordialddcordialddover 2 years ago

You did very well building the sadness and despair Ken felt. The memories they shared capped by Lydia's recent indifference created s sympathetic character. The clumsy parts (the covid sit didnt add anything for example) were made up for. Thanks!

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

I understood what the author was trying for, but the ending just, IMHO, seemed to contrived. All those people "just happened to be there"? Obviously not, but, for all of them to stick their nose into something that did not, directly, involve them, seems somewhat arrogant of them. Especially as Ken was not familiar with any of them. The way the ending went, other than Ken divorcing Lydia, was off putting. 3⭐s

-

Pasqual

historyandherstoryhistoryandherstoryover 2 years ago

Excellent, loved it. 5*****

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 2 years ago

Creative well developed short story.

Quite entertaining.

Thanks for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well Done, I always enjoy a happy surprise ending to a story. Thank you for sharing.

TXanyTXanyover 2 years ago

Wow. I found myself laughing at the end. You didn't rub their plans in my face and let me figure them out myself...thanks for that. It was a well put together story -- delicious!

mattenwmattenwover 2 years ago

Superb story. That's when my heart really melts. A really successful plot! Everything there, everything in. A real rarity among all that crap! 5*!!!

Karn9Karn9over 2 years ago

Excellent story, great build up and a fun ending! Laughing to a5* story

dewinsludewinsluover 2 years ago

This is the first of your stories that I’ve read. If the remaining stories are as good as this is I’m in for a treat. Great story! 5*

russ603russ603over 2 years ago

A new twist to an old story! Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Now that’s what I call a story. Different than the traditional trash written her. A fine piece of writing. I guess you are British,English. Well done.

xtc5xtc5over 2 years ago

One of the best stories I have read

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Another "process" story. Its usually about cameras and recordings and GPS trackers and phone cloners and all the other tools and techniques of proving what a distant clueless deaf dumb and blind husband needs to scientifically prove: that he actually married an aardvark. Well, how about an arrogant selfish stupid cheating whore, with the morals and ethics of a serial killer. Maybe its just me, but I have always found monstrous deceitful cheating soulless whores to be rather obvious, if you're smart enough to pay attention, and brave enough to accept reality. So the setup and burning was entertaining. Maybe someday you could write a sequel, or addendum, where we get to maybe learn something about the human elements that are missing from this story. Like what turned Lydia into the office slut, why she felt she could and should abandon her marriage commitment, jeopardize her children's loving nurturing family life, betray everything that a wife and mother pledges herself to? Was it the Martians? Or was her doofus husband just to simple timid and boring not to fuck over once she had virile exciting interesting men to stimulate her mind and body? Yes, maybe someone will write that easy simple boring story for us; what makes a loyal loving wife become a promiscuous selfish slut. Too bad its not you. But thanks for the effort you did put out. Loved the tin can; God, devastating!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story with great writing! You should be writing books!

SilverWolf78754SilverWolf78754over 2 years ago

There might be hope for the Brits yet. So many stories from the UK are RAAC with no moral backbone. Thanks for the story.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Very British, very civilized, and very good. I really enjoyed this story. What a fortunate man. He gets rid of a cheating wife, a lawyer, and gets a new girlfriend from the gentry all at the same time. Well played indeed.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 2 years ago

Brilliant!

Just the right amount of foreshadowing teased by subtle misdirection. I've long been an admirer of Spencerfiction and now happily transfer that to Tonyspencer (unless/until the Powers That Be fix the glitch in the original profile). Some of the anonymous comments lead me to wonder if you irritated some of the cognoscenti, but no matter—they're more to be pitied than scorned.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Really good, wish it was longer. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Definitely a 5 star 🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 2 years ago

Jolly good show, and wrapped up well with a number of good twists and turns you don't see coming like in an Alistair MacLean novel. Great job and best wishes in the contest.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

At first I thought that this great story was a bit wordy until I read the last page. Twists, turns, and and ending worthy of rememberance.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great author returns with fantastic characters in a tantalizing story which reads like a mystery. I think I liked it best when Ken discovers that he had some very special people who will help him face his changing life. This is a story that could have a great follow-up, but I am glad for it just as it was given to us.

The Hoary Cleric

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

That was fun and a lot more interesting than many cheating spouse stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boy, that took a hard left turn while I wasn’t looking. But a really nice twist. Very good story, Tony, thanks for sharing. 5⭐️s, for sure.

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

A great read that begs for a sequel.

whateverittakeswhateverittakesover 1 year ago

Great story with a very cool twist.

Corny1974Corny1974over 1 year ago

Loved it. A new favourite. Thank you.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTonyspencer@Tonyspencer
Writer of romance and fantasy, children’s stories, sports reports, and local history. Retired. Have previously entered stories on here as Spencerfiction, but cannot access that account despite repeated tries. So I’ll enter new stories on here. My Dragonskin Chronicles Book 2 s...

SIMILAR Stories