Carpe Diem

Story Info
“Near death experience” makes wife want to live for today.
7.4k words
4.38
24.1k
70
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a quick little btb story with only a little actual sex in it. All participants in sex, real or imagined, are over 18 years old. I hope you enjoy it!!

My wife and I had been married for 22 years when this story takes place. Our two children David 25 and Jane 23 are off on their own and David is engaged. My name is Bob Lemon. My wife, Rose, had a dizzy spell one day and fainted the next. We had no idea why so she went to our PCP to get a quick checkup. Our doctor said there are many ressons she could have this issue that are very innocuous but that a blood screening was in order due to Rose being 45 years old.

Rose has led a very healthy life so far without any issues and only sees the doctor for regular checkups. We were told the blood test was merely being overly cautious. Fortunately it was well timed and ended up being extremely important.

The doctor asked us to both come to his office to go over his findings. This set off alarms in my head but Rose seemed to not be concerned so I stayed calm so as not to stress her. He had ordered a series of X rays to happen immediately on our arrival. Now I was really concerned and Rose looked worried as well.

"What's going on John?" I asked once Rose left the room.

"There are some anomalies with the blood work," he answered. "We'll get to the bottom of it."

When Rose returned she seemed quiet and reserved. We didn't talk much. She did say she was nervous as was I. After a good long wait John came back and sat down.

"Rose, there's no easy way to break this to you so I'll just say it. You have cancer." We both gasped in shock. "Now don't get too excited about it. This cancer is quite treatable. You have a very small growth on your uterus. We caught it very early so the prognosis is very good." He sighed. "Now you can choose two possible treatments. First is chemo and radiation therapy which would most likely take care of it but is also hard on you and takes time. It's not a hundred percent effective either. Second is what I recommend. You're 45 years old so I doubt you have any use for your uterus. A hysterectomy would be 100 percent effective assuming there's no other growths elsewhere. I assume you'll want to talk it over first but the sooner we can get things scheduled the better."

I was coming out of my initial shock after hearing the encouraging part of it.

"Thanks John, it sounds better than I had hoped for. Right honey?" Rose was pale and shaking so I hugged her. "Everything is going to be fine honey."

The operation went perfectly and no other growths were encountered. I took a two week vacation so I could take care of Rose. I treated Rose like a queen during her recovery. I cooked, I cleaned, I brought flowers home, and we talked for hours. It turned out that Rose had an epiphany due to her "brush with death."

"Honey, we have been working our lives away just so we can die with nice stuff. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think we need to start living our lives. We should be going on trips or doing things we've always wanted to do."

I thought to myself she was right, but did she think she almost died. I've been hearing her talking to her family on the phone in over dramatic ways. She had made it sound like she was on the brink of death. That's pretty much her whole family though, over dramatic. I still couldn't argue with her logic.

"You're right honey, carpe diem, let's do it. We should make a bucket list while you're laid up. Things we want to do individually and together! I already know the first one. The trip to Europe we have talked about for years, let's do it!!"

We spent my vacation and her recovery discussing everything to do with our dreams. The financial situation for us was quite good. Most of our dreams could come true without hurting our wallet much. We agreed that our top priority was travel. We both had places we wanted to visit. During my vacation we booked our trip to Europe. We put it together quickly so we could go for my next vacation in three months.

We also made up a bucket list of experiences we wished to tackle, everything from dancing lessons to trying new foods. We made an exhaustive list since we agreed that some things could be accomplished on an evening after work or a day off.

I even included some of my sexual wish list since we haven't been that adventurous so far. I wasn't sure Rose would be into experimenting but I thought it was worth a try. We were very limited in how often we had oral sex, in fact I've had exactly two blow jobs early on in the marriage thus far. I loved the few times I gave Rose a tongue lashing but I think she didn't like the expectation of reciprocity so she stopped letting me do it. Anal had never happened although the one time I sunk my thumb in her ass while fucking gave her a huge orgasm. Anyway it's on my list.

Rose needed six weeks to fully recover. We weren't allowed to have sex before then so I took her to dinner at a restaurant that had crawdads on the menu so we could both take it off our list. It was great. The manager said, "Suck the head and pinch the tail!"

I said, "Oh that's not until later, haha." Rose laughed but not as hard as I hoped.

We got home and had more wine in anticipation of our first lovemaking in six weeks. It was a little awkward. We usually let nature take its course but after six weeks we were both chomping at the bit. It was assumed that sex was happening. It was also the first sex since her reproductive system had been altered. That was a little unspoken situation that altered our intimate psyche.

We did have sex, vanilla and somewhat less than thrilling but the seal was broken. Now life could get back to normal.

"Do you really want to do all those sexual things on your bucket list? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing those things," she said. It struck me as selfish at first. We've been married a long time and our sex has never changed. I thought she would be excited to try new things but apparently not.

"No, I guess not. I don't want you to feel pressured into anything you don't want to do. For me." I guess I worded it so she knew I was disappointed on purpose but it didn't work. She just moved on to other topics.

The whole bucket list thing started to seem lopsided to me. We kept fulfilling things from her list and nothing from mine. Maybe I'm just selfish.

Finally the time came for our trip to Europe. It was everything we had dreamed. The romance was back in our marriage for at least those two weeks. We started in Amsterdam, toured Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France and ended the trip in London. We flew back from Heathrow and got home completely exhausted after our huge adventure. We even tackled other bucket list items while traveling, like going to a nude beach.

During our trip and for several weeks afterwards we discussed where we wanted to go next. We wouldn't be able to take two weeks at a time very often so the next two trips would be one week. We could take one more this year and then start next year's.

We came to an agreement to go to Hawaii this year. We would wait for another two week vacation to go to Australia since we both want to go there. We figured next winter which will be summer there. That left one week still undecided so far. It was exciting for us having these trips to plan for and look forward to.

Meanwhile we were going back to items on our list we could do locally. We went skydiving one weekend. I can definitely say never again, but we did it.

This is where my story takes a turn. Rose came home from work one evening acting particularly nervous. After dinner she hit me with it.

"Bob, I have a question for you. It's going to sound crazy at first but just remember our motto, 'carpe diem', okay?" I nodded feeling a bit nervous myself now.

"You remember Charlie Dunk? The guy I work with?"

"I've heard the name quite a bit but I don't think I've ever met him," I said shaking my head and watching my wife wringing her hands and fiddling with her wedding rings.

"Well anyway, he got a promotion and is being transferred to Denver. His last day is Friday. We're having a going away party for him at Margaritas at 6 PM, everyone is going." I was a little relieved that all she wanted was permission to go to a party.

"Sure you can go. Can I go with you?" Her face went red and she looked down at her feet.

"No, it's only for employees. The company is paying for everything."

"I don't mind paying for myself." I said still confused about where this was going.

"Bob, Charlie and I have been working together for like 20 years. He flirts with me and I flirt back. He's like my work husband. My question is simple and I will accept your answer either way. I want a hall pass to sleep with Charlie once before he leaves forever." I felt the blood rush out of my face, my head, my neck, and my eyes started to fade. I stayed that way for a couple minutes. "Honey?"

I cleared my throat as the blood began to return. "Y-Y-You..."

"I know it's a lot to process right now. Why don't we sleep on it. Things will look different tomorrow. We can talk it over at breakfast." I was sure my eyes were now leaking without my permission. I felt like a sword was thrust through my heart.

"Y-Y-You...want?" I couldn't communicate right now. She was right, I'd have to dash her treacherous hopes in the morning. I sat watching the 24 hour news channel for four hours and decided to feign sleep. Rose called my name but I didn't move. She went to bed and I got comfortable on the couch.

I didn't sleep. I ran through my head over and over how this could have happened. The whole carpe diem bullshit had backfired in my face. Now she thinks she can do whatever she wants. I started picking up a few clues from my memory that seemed innocuous at the time. Like how she had been texting way more than usual lately.

She came downstairs early in the morning with a disgruntled look on her face.

"You never came to bed last night." I nodded. "Well I'm not making breakfast after all. I'll be going to meet up with a couple of the girls from my office before work. I decided to take the decision away from you. I will be going to the party tomorrow and coming home Saturday morning."

"You will?" I scratched my head still in a fog from no sleep. "I don't think that's a fucking good idea!! Are you just going to ignore my fucking wishes?"

"Everything will be fine. Saturday morning we can go out to breakfast and talk about it. You don't have to be insecure about it. We are adults in a long term relationship and the relationship will go on without a hitch. Bye."

As she opened the door I said, "But, but, but you..." The door shut before I could get it out.

I called out sick from work so I could wallow in my own crapulence. I did call my lawyer so I knew what to do and what not to do in case things went south. The locksmith set up an appointment for 7 AM on Saturday to change the locks. He'd get paid for after hours whether I needed him or not. I did housework the rest of the day so I'd be tired enough to sleep. I also started gathering suitcases and boxes.

Rose wasn't home at the normal time. I was actually quite sleepy so I went to bed early. As I undressed, I noticed a box on Rose's dresser. I opened it to find a very skimpy lingerie. In 22 years Rose had never worn anything like this for me. Oh, I bought her expensive sexy lingerie but she never wore it. Fuck her!!

I woke from a sound sleep to a kiss on my cheek. "Remember, I love you," Rose said with a smile on her face.

"Rose, this is your last warning. Don't do this. Don't throw away 22 years." I must have looked desperate.

"Don't be silly. I'm not throwing you away. I have to do this for me. You understand? I almost died and now I can't pass up this opportunity. I have to go or I'll be late." Another kiss on the cheek and she was gone.

Today I went to work since I had nothing else to do. Tomorrow is the weekend so I'd have time to take care of business then if needed. I was distracted all day but luckily nothing important was happening. My good friend Brent asked me if I was alright so I dumped the whole story in his lap.

"I'm sorry man. Are you going to divorce her if she goes through with it?" I nodded.

I got home and cooked myself dinner which I couldn't eat. Leftovers will be there for when things get crazy at least. I decided that I had to see this fucking asshole Charlie at least and verify that their plan was executed. I waited until 7 to leave and by the time I parked and found my spot it was almost 8 o'clock. I figured it would last at least two hours. Margaritas is in a busy downtown area so I wouldn't be very noticeable. I sat on a bench across the street which was in an alarmingly dark area.

I waited over an hour before I noticed a good number of people starting to leave at once. They milled around the front doors saying goodbyes and then hugging this one guy. That can't be him, he's short, out of shape, unless you consider round a shape, and has male pattern baldness.

People were taking off as I noticed Rose coming outside. Slowly every last person left except Rose and Charlie. I started a video in case I needed evidence at some point. Rose put her arm around Charlie and gave him a quick kiss. They said something to each other then turned and walked down the sidewalk. I could make a scene with one last ditch effort to stop her. It felt too desperate, too unmanly, I couldn't grovel and beg. Nope this is her decision to disrespect me.

My stomach was churning and adrenaline was pumping through me. They only went one block down to the hotel and entered. That was it. The end of my marriage after 22 years. I needed a drink so I went into Margaritas.

I went to the bar and ordered a Dos Equis and a shot of Jose Cuervo gold. The female bartender, Amelia, said, "You look like your dog got run over. Having a bad day?" It was late and she didn't look very busy.

"Well, since I don't know you, you can be the first to hear my story." I laid out the whole thing and she stood with her mouth open.

"That was the woman that kept saying 'Carpe Diem'!!" she announced. "That's pretty ballsy. What are you gonna do?"

"The locksmith will be at my house at 7 AM," I said in a low monotone voice while peeling the label off my beer. "Can I get another round?"

"This one's on me," she said.

If I were twenty years younger I would ask this pretty girl out. The reality of my situation hit me hard, a 47 year old divorcee. I'm not ugly by any means but I knew now I'd want to visit the gym more. It would probably do some good for my self esteem anyway.

I went home with just a little buzz. Normally I wouldn't drive like that but my anger was keeping me alert, and reckless. Once again I was awake all night. I didn't bother laying in bed. I busied myself by packing Rose's essentials and some nonessentials. I packed ALL of our wedding memorabilia into boxes. I didn't want any reminders in the house. All of her shit was put in the garage.

I sat in my recliner not watching TV and waiting for something to happen. It never did. I paced back and forth from 6 AM to 7 AM.

The locksmith arrived and I worried that Rose would show up this early. I shouldn't have worried. I finally ate some leftovers after the locksmith left with my house locked up tight. I put a note on the door explaining why she couldn't get in and advising her to get a lawyer. I called my father-in-law to warn him about the impending storm. He was pissed to say the least. He yelled at me and called me nasty names until I explained why I was divorcing her. He seemed a little sympathetic afterwards. I let him know Rose might need a place to stay.

After 10 AM Rose finally pulled into the driveway. When she gets to the front door she finds it locked which is unusual during the day. I can just see her from the side in the living room. She grabs her keys and at the same time notices the note on the door. She pulls it down and starts reading, gets to the part where the locks were changed and tries her key.

"Bob? Open the door. What the heck is going on? Let me in so we can talk." She pulls her key out, knocks on the door, and finishes reading. I heard her gasp twice. I think she's starting to understand the reality of what I'm doing. She starts crying. "Oh Fuck. Please Bob, let me in so we can talk!!" Now she's pounding on the door. "I don't want a divorce." I do feel a little bad for her. After 22 years with her, seeing her cry still hurts me.

She pulls out her phone. It must have been turned off since a bunch of text chimes went off. They weren't from me. I didn't text her once. She's apparently reading them.

"Oh my God!!" she cries. Then she puts the phone to her ear. "Daddy!!" She starts bawling like a little girl. "Daddy, I don't know what to do. I'm locked out of the house and he wants a divorce." She stops to listen for a second. "Yes, I did. But it was Carpe Diem, I put it on my bucket list. We agreed to live life!! He can't hold that against me. I almost died for Christ sake."

Another pause then, "No, he didn't want me to do it but I really wanted to." Another pause then, "Yes Daddy, I'll be there in a half hour. I love you Daddy." She put the phone down, hit something then back to her ear. "God damn it!!" Then typed for a minute and left.

My phone had been off since the locksmith left. I needed to give my attorney an update so I turned it on. I had several texts and a missed call. The missed call and one text message were from Rose. Her text said, I'm sorry I didn't realize this was such a big deal to you. Please don't divorce me. We can get past this.

Another text was from My father-in-law, Terry. It said, Son I hope you respect me enough to stay in contact a little longer. Please let me talk to Rose and then I'd like the opportunity to call you if you'll allow it. I know how hard this is and I completely understand if you decide to got no contact. Nobody else will try to call or text you, I promise.

My attorney suggested I get myself a new phone number so I can go no contact. I haven't done that yet but if things get out of hand I'll shut it off again. I just can't function knowing nobody can contact me. I returned Terry's text letting him know my phone will be on until things get out of hand. He thanked me and let me know he would stop by to grab Rose's stuff from the garage.

Later in the afternoon I received the call I expected from Terry and I answered.

"Bob, our family wants one chance to talk things out. Would you be open to having a meeting at your place tomorrow? If you still want the divorce after our discussion you can serve her the papers at the same time."

"Well I hadn't planned on anything like this. I don't know if my lawyer would like it. If this is the quickest way to move on then I'd be okay with it. I'll call my lawyer and text you the answer, okay?"

"That would be great. You really have been a great son-in-law. I'm really sorry about what Rose did. I hope you know she still loves you dearly."

----

My lawyer said it was up to me but if I went through with the meeting he wanted to be there. He wanted it recorded and he warned me that this is a dangerous situation where sometimes the divorcing party gets drawn into some sort of violence thus severely hurting their case. I assured him that no matter what I could restrain myself from anything physical. I asked him to bring the divorce paperwork with him and agreed to a time.

I texted Terry to let him know I would give them the meeting as long as my lawyer was present and we could record the session. I insisted that the meeting take place at Margaritas at 1130 AM on Sunday. He was happy and agreed to the stipulations.

Sunday I was a bundle of nerves. I shouldn't be since I'm not the one who cheated but whatever. Margaritas opens at 11 AM on Sundays and when I arrived the place was empty. I told Terry the meeting would be at 1130 so we would have time to set up. This must be the slowest time all week. My lawyer, George, arrived at the same time as I did. We had reserved one of the three private tables in a jail cell downstairs for privacy. He immediately set up a tripod and camera and started recording. He had our divorce papers in his briefcase and patted me on the back.

12