Casting Aspersions Ch. 02

Story Info
The Team investigates a poisoning case.
12.7k words
4.85
6.9k
5

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/20/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 7 - Links of the Chain

"Don?... Son, are you all right?" my mother asked as she and Tanya watched me. But I barely heard her. I was going into a reverie... a very, very dark one.

I finally climbed back out of it. "Commander, your eyes are flashing fire. What is it?" asked Tanya. I knew I couldn't say it out loud, as her fiancé was Jack Muscone, and I was remembering his words at the crime scene the night before... that the Feds had leaked information about me giving them info from McGinty's Materials.

"You do realize," I said, "that if she had put that out there, or if people become aware of it, then my life and my family's lives are in extreme danger. Grave danger."

"Is it that bad?" Tanya asked, her voice sounding skeptical... and worried. I looked at her as if she were in orbit around another planet.

"Are you kidding?" I asked. "The Consultant of Crime was nothing compared to the threat that would be. When I say 'grave' danger, I mean it very, very literally."

"Then we need to find out who is behind this murder as quickly as possible." said my mother Phyllis, trying to get us back onto the case, but also realizing that there was a problem between me and Tanya that went beyond the case itself. "Son, there were things on Louella's computer that she was working on, as well, but apparently weren't ready for publication."

"Things that someone might kill her to keep it quiet?" I asked.

"Possibly." said Tanya. "One thing is that she had strong corroborating evidence that Bettina Wurtzburg and Les Craig were working together against you and the FBI's investigation into Superior Bloodlines. Stuff the U.S. Attorney would love to have in his case against Bettina. Stuff that would be very damaging to Bettina if it did get to the U.S. Attorney." That seemed to be a 'hint' towards me.

"Definitely something the Press might want covered up." I said. "What else?"

Tanya said "She was working up a separate story that Benny Black of the 'Days of Promise' show was frequently visiting the City, and possibly visiting underground gambling establishments."

"Hell, he could go to Southport and legally gamble on the Riverboat Gambler." I said. "That doesn't seem to be much of a story. Then again... he was here visiting his brother Todd over the weekend. Maybe the gambling story is a cover for something else Benny is doing."

"That's very possible, son." said my mother.

"Maybe he's dating Mia McNamara on the sly, and Louella was going to expose it after Mia's engagement to Dr. Searles was announced." Tanya said.

"All kidding aside," I said, "that is not out of the realm of possibility. It's something you should check up on. Okay, what's next?"

Tanya said "There's a couple of things about our Mayor's wife. One was that Melina went to New York or Boston, where she had an abortion."

"It wasn't an abortion." I said. "It was a hysterectomy." Oops. I just fucked up, letting that slip out.

"What?!" my mother Phyllis all but shouted. "Melina had a hysterectomy?"

"Yes." I said, cynically enjoying that I knew something my mother hadn't known. "And you are not to tell her that I told you that. But pertaining to this case, that could be a link to the Allgood-Jared political thing, I guess."

"Yeah, I don't know why that would be something to kill Louella over." Tanya said. "Anyhoo, as you like to say, Commander, Louella was working on some more rape allegations against U.S. Senator Russell, and a full-piece story on sexual abuse of boys by the priests of the City's largest Roman Catholic Church."

"The Church scandal is out there, in general." I said. "But if Louella could target specific priests, or their leadership, they might think it was worthwhile to snuff her out."

"She's been all over the Catholic Church for a while now." said Tanya. "She put out some pieces about molestations in the past. I remember hearing some gossip myself that she was really trying to dig up dirt on our Chaplain Romano when he was awarded the Police Cross. But that was a 'no go' from the start, due to Father Romano's rather unique story."

I nodded. "So she hates the Catholic Church, and wanted to tear down a Catholic Chaplain that did well. But in a way... if she's been printing stuff on the Church for a while, the not-yet-published stuff isn't going to be anything special to her readers."

"Again, it's a matter of naming individuals and potential proof versus her previous general stuff." Tanya countered.

"Okay," I said, "we've narrowed the suspects down to the Catholic Church, any number of Press people, any number of Agents of the Federal Government, Benny Black, T-Square, and me. So what's your next step? Mom?... Mom?"

My mother finally came out of her own reverie. "Uh.. I'm sorry, son, I was..." Her voice trailed off.

"I guess we now know where you inherited that trait from, Don." Tanya said with a grin. She was trying to bring levity to the room, knowing that I was still very, very tense about the revelation of the Feds possibly leaking the McGinty Materials rumor to Louella Hopper.

"I didn't realize Melina having a hysterectomy would affect her so much." I said. "Okay, you two keep digging. And see if you realize what the most important question of this investigation is..."

Part 8 - Stonewalled

Meanwhile...

11:00am, Tuesday, July 16th. SBI Agent Johnson and SBI Lieutenant Norm Chow came into the Interrogation Room at SBI Headquarters in Westphalia, just south of the City. They sat down at the table. On the opposite side was Tim Sioban of KSB News, and his attorney Gwen Munson of Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C.

"Why was my client arrested?" Munson demanded to know.

"Your client was arrested under a warrant issued by the Superior Court as well as a Federal warrant," said Norm Chow, "as being a material witness in the murder of Louella Hopper----"

"Murder?" Gwen Munson said skeptically, interrupting Chow. "The autopsy hasn't been released yet---"

"The Medical Examiner has ruled it murder." said Chow, interrupting Munson back. "The autopsy is waiting for toxicology results, but her findings have been given to the Police, and then to the SBI."

"What does that have to do with my client?" asked Gwen Munson. "Are you accusing him of the murder?"

"He's a person of interest and a material witness in the murder." said Johnson. He read Sioban his right from the card. Sioban refused to respond when Johnson asked if Sioban understood the rights.

"Mr. Sioban," said Johnson, "you were talking with Louella Hopper at the moment she dropped to the floor and subsequently died. What were you talking about?"

"Pursuant to the First Amendment rights of the Press and protection of my journalism sources," said Sioban, "I refuse to answer your questions, and I will not help you in any way."

"So you're taking the Fifth?" asked Norm Chow.

"No." said Sioban, "I'm invoking my First Amendment protections of the Press. I will not reveal what I was discussing with my fellow reporter. In doing so, I am protecting my sources."

"So you don't give a damn about who murdered your colleague?" asked Johnson sharply. "I'd think you'd want to help us find who did this to your fellow reporter." Sioban said nothing.

"I find it very suspicious that you don't want to help us." said Chow. "What, did Hopper have something on one of your Press colleagues? Did you or one of your fellow journalists murder Ms. Hopper?"

"This is over." said Munson. "I'm taking my client out of here."

"No you're not." said Chow, his voice flat and dispassionate as always, but with an undercurrent of menace. "Your client is under arrest. And if he refuses to cooperate and answer our questions, or doesn't take the Fifth, he'll be charged with obstruction of justice and interfering with a criminal investigation."

"He told you, he's exercising his First Amendment rights as a journalist---" started Munson.

"Bullshit!" Johnson all but shouted. "The First Amendment does not give him the right to impede our investigation! But if he thinks it does, he can sit in a jail cell for ten years after he's convicted of the very real criminal charges we're filing against him. It's his choice." He then turned and looked squarely at Sioban and said "But one thing is for sure. You are not free to go; you are not leaving..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

SBI Inspector Brittany M. Maxwell entered the SBI Headquarters's other interrogation room, along with Lt. Gordon Grigsby of the SBI-IDE. They sat down at the table. Opposite them was SBI Agent Porter and his Union Rep.

"So what is this about?" growled Porter.

"You were seen on the sixth floor of the University Hotel." said Britt Maxwell. "You approached Louella Hopper's room, which was occupied by Police Officers, then you moved down the hall, pretended to be at the wrong room, then went down the elevator... not to the fifth floor, but to the front lobby and then out the building."

"Who says I was even there?" tried Porter.

Britt took a photograph out of her file folder and slid it across the table. "I'm not even going to play with you. That's you, in the Hotel elevator. You were observed by the Police Officers, who have identified you, and we have more camera footage of you. So, do you want to continue to deny that you were there?"

"He didn't deny it." said the Union Rep. "Stop trying to say he said something he didn't say."

"Why were you there, Porter?" asked Maxwell strongly.

"Why is it an issue?" Porter fired back.

"Because a woman that was murdered was staying in the room you approached, then played a dumb, obvious charade when you saw Police Officers were already there!" snarled Britt loudly. "Oh yeah, you also gave the SBI Reserve Inspector some insubordinate backtalk when he put someone else in charge of the investigation!"

"I didn't know he was with the SBI!" shouted Porter.

"Why was it so important for you to pull rank and try to take charge of the investigation?" asked Grigsby.

"That's a mischaracterization." said Porter angrily. "I only asked why a junior Agent was being put in charge when I was the senior SBI Agent there!"

"And it was a fair question to ask," said the Rep, "especially when he didn't know that it was the SBI Reserve Inspector there. And Agent Porter did back off when he was told that information. There's no 'there' there, so why are you harassing this Agent?"

"I just asked you a question, and I still don't have an answer." said Britt. "Why were you at the University Hotel, Porter? Why did you go to the sixth floor, and to Louella Hopper's room?"

There was silence in the room for a moment, then Britt Maxwell stood up. "I don't have time to play games. Porter, you're suspended without pay, pending a full internal investigation of your actions, with the purpose and intent of terminating your employment with the SBI---"

"What?" gasped Porter. "I've done nothing to warrant a suspension. This is harassment and setting me up!"

"You're not answering my questions." said Britt. "You're suspended. Without pay."

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!" yelled Porter, rising to his feet.

"THEN TELL US WHY YOU WERE THERE!" Britt yelled back. The Union Rep pulled Porter back to his chair, and he sat down.

Britt exhaled, then said "No, don't answer. Save it for your formal OER investigation." She began collecting the file of papers and turned to walk out.

"All right, all right." Porter said in exasperation. "I was there to check out the murder victim's room."

"Then why didn't you knock on the door and speak to the Police that were in the room when you arrived?" asked Britt. "Police that did observe you, by the way."

"They'd already secured the scene." said Porter. "So we got out of there."

Grigsby said "But you first went to the next room, pretended that you couldn't open the door, then you or the Agent with you said you were on the sixth, not fifth floor. And then you got in the elevator but did not go to the fifth floor. So the questions remain. Why the charade?"

"And who is this 'we' you just referred to?" asked Britt. "The other guy in the elevator with you?"

"He's a P.I. I work with." said Porter.

After a long silent pause, Inspector Maxwell said "Well?"

"Well what?" replied Porter.

Britt rolled her eyes. "Keep the shit up, Porter. You're just digging your own grave."

"If you want me to answer a question, then ask the question." snarled Porter.

"I agree." said the Rep. "This is an interrogation. You have to ask every question, not just assume my client can read your mind."

"Okay, asshole." said Britt, worn past exasperation. "What's his name? Give me a name of the guy that was with you at the University Hotel when you went to Louella Hopper's room., and is in that picture with you."

"I call him 'Rocky'." said Porter. "I think his name is 'Rocker', something like that. I don't really know his name, and I want to keep it that way."

"Yeah, right." said Britt acidly. "Who sent you to Louella Hopper's room?"

"Nobody, we just went." said Porter. "Routine part of the investigation."

"I don't believe you." said Britt. "You didn't stop at the front desk to get Hopper's room number, nor anyone else's for that matter. You went straight up there. We have this on video, Mr. Porter. Now who sent you?"

"I told you, nobody!" shouted Porter. "We went to get a headstart on the investigation! There's nothing wrong with that!"

"We're not getting anywhere." Britt said. "Nothing has changed, Porter. You're suspended without pay, and this is your notification in front of your Union Rep." She turned and left.

"I'll just say this before I go." said Grigsby, standing up. "Porter, you were not selected for the IDE because there were questions about your integrity in the performance of your duties with the NTF. You were not terminated only because the SBI Director intervened and wanted you and a few others to have a chance to prove yourselves. So far, you're failing badly. I doubt you can save your job now, but if you come correct and answer the questions about your actions, you might be permitted to resign instead of being terminated for cause and dismissed in disgrace."

With that, Grigsby got up and left the room. SBI Agents came in and collected Porter's service weapon and badge, and escorted him out of the building in a humiliating perp walk.

Part 9 - Tag Teams

"Yes, that's interesting." I said into the phone. "Okay, then, thanks a lot for calling me... okay, bye."

I hung up, processing the information in my mind that KSB's reporter Tim Sioban had steadfastly and sanctimoniously refused to cooperate with the Police, citing some bullshit 'journalist privilege''; and then Porter's strange actions, followed by Porter stonewalling the SBI-OER probe.

*BUZZZ!*

I was jolted out of my reverie by Helena buzzing me, saying I had visitors. I had her usher them in. They were SBI Agent Terence Johnson and Campus Police Detective James Tarleton. They politely refused offers of coffee or water.

"Thank you for seeing us, sir." said Johnson as they sat down in the 'hot chairs' at my bidding. "We wanted to report our findings so far to you, and maybe get your advice on where to proceed."

"Sure." I said. "Whaddya got?"

"We were trying to answer your questions from last night." said Johnson. "Louella Hopper flew into the City from West Palm Beach, Florida, last night. Her flight was delayed an hour before taking off, and delayed another half hour getting into the gate at City Airport at 7:00pm local time. She was a featured speaker at a book show in West Palm Beach, and had a book signing there."

"Do you know which book the signing featured?" I asked.

Tarleton spoke up: "I spoke to Ms. Hopper's publicist, and she said the speech was on Yellow Journalism's role in the Media today. She had all of her books available for purchase and signing." I nodded.

Johnson continued: "She was scheduled to be at the dinner; there was a placesetting at a table for her. That table was the KSB table, and it was half-empty. She was supposed to ride in a van with other KSB people from the City to the University, but it left without her. Her cellphone records show that she called KSB to arrange for a car to take her to the University, but apparently they didn't have one, because she took an Uber. Cost her no small amount of money to do that."

"What time did the dinner begin?" I asked.

"The cash bar opened at 8:00pm," said Tarleton, "dinner began at 8:30, and the speakers began just after nine."

"What time did the Uber driver get her here? And where was she dropped off?" I asked.

"We haven't found the Uber driver yet." said Johnson. "She had a reservation for the University Hotel, and checked in at 10:00pm on the dot. The Hotel was running a shuttle to the dinner, and she took that to the location."

"So if her plane is in the gate at 7:00pm, and even giving a full half-hour to get into the Uber," I said, "we're talking a gap of an hour?"

"Yes sir," said Tarleton, "unless the Uber picked her up later, or had traffic problems. We're still trying to get all that information." I nodded.

"Well, that's a 'strangeness'." I said. "So, keep going."

Johnson said: "We got warrants to get the video coverage of the dinner. The Journalism School was running the feeds, and providing coverage to any news outlet that wanted anything. President Wellman put out the word to all of the Journalism School to cooperate with the investigation regardless of anyone's status as a journalist. So we have that, and a copy of that footage was sent to the TCPD as a courtesy."

"I appreciate that." I said.

"We're still processing it, seeing who was where, and who talked to who." said Tarleton. "The footage does show Louella Hopper arriving very late, going to several tables speaking to people who were still there, then she went into the room with the bar, where there was no video coverage, that we know of, anyway."

"As you may know," Johnson said, "Tim Sioban of KSB has refused to cooperate with the Police at any level over what he was talking with Louella about when she dropped to the floor and died. He's not being held in Contempt of Court for that, but has been charged outright with obstruction of justice and impeding Federal and State investigations. He was denied bail, and his attorney is appealing all of that based on his so-called status as a journalist. I really don't understand that."

"We can make three inferences." I replied. "One is that the Press is arrogant, and he's just being a typical Media jerk. The second is that what she told him was something news- or journalism-related, and might indeed be privileged. The third is that she told him something he and the Media does not want Law Enforcement to know, and he's trying to hide behind the journalism shield to keep from having to reveal it. But let's continue."

Johnson said "Several people she spoke to in the main ballroom did speak to us. They said Louella said hello to them, the basic innocuous greetings. Sally Wellman, President Wellman's wife, said she apologized for arriving late, then asked if Sally knew where Elsie Gringer was. The video shows that, then shows Louella going to the KSB table and then leaving for the other room."