Casus Belli Ch. 01: Prelude to War

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She slowly shook her head, "You think this is about me not trusting you? I'd trust you with my life Brando. This is about something happening to you before the wedding. If you were to..." She whimpered softly. "And now, with war coming, and you fighting in it..." Tears started to run down her cheeks, "I have to still be a virgin of untarnished reputation the day I marry. My position simply demands it. And I hope with whole my heart that it's going to be you marrying me this summer. I can't even think about ending up having to marry someone else. I would be completely devastated if I lost you. But I'm an only child, and the heir to the Nigawan throne. I have to secure the succession."

Brando closed his eyes and hung his head, "I always thought you not wanting to lose your virginity before marriage had its roots in you, deep down, not trusting me entirely, but I was so wrong. I now understand you'll need your virginity to still be intact, and your reputation unblemished, in order to still be able to acquire a suitable mate, should something happen to me." His eyes opened, and locked with hers, "I'm so sorry I questioned your trust in me Cassy. Please forgive me?"

She hugged him, melted into him, and kissed him gently, "I already have, you big dork."

The next morning Brando joined her and her father for breakfast, and then they had to say their goodbyes. They kissed one last time on the steps in front of the main entrance to the keep, and then she watched him mount his horse and ride out of the castle gate, his two personal guards joining up with him. Her father put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. She leaned in to him, gathering strength from him. "Don't worry sweetheart," he said, "he'll be back before you know it."

***

Her father had been right. Notifying all the nobles and preparing the keep to host them, and at the same time preparing the country for war, proved a lot of work, and time simply flew by. Then, two days before the grand gathering, the first noble families started to arrive. Bromodin was a huge castle, and it came with a central keep to fit. But now an entire floor that hadn't seen use in years was filling with over five hundred guests. And with her father having delegated welcoming and lodging the nobles to her, she and her maidens found themselves short of hands.

The last two days before the gathering had passed even more quickly, and she soon found herself watching out for Brando to arrive on the day itself. The southeast facing windows of her chambers looked out over the castle's courtyard and main gate, and she was never far away from them if she could help it, getting her playful comments from her maidens. With the gathering set for two o'clock that afternoon, and noon getting close, she started to get worried, and then the trumpets sounded, announcing the arrival of someone important.

She was at the window in a flash, just in time to watch Brando riding in through the gate, with Sir Tregan Mordian, the Drak of Valdon, riding beside him. The keep's hallways were busier than ever, and many nobles watched amused as their future Kangess sped by on her way down to the main entrance, flouting decorum. Brando was just leaving the stables, busy talking with the Drak, when she came bursting out of the keep's main entrance. She hurtled down the stairs, and he noticed her as she crossed the courtyard in a run. He opened his arms and laughed as she threw herself into them, "Cassy!" She kissed his lips enthusiastically. "Hi honey, I missed you too," he grinned.

The Drak had watched bemused, and greeted her with a slight bow, "I can vow for that, your highness. He has acted like a homesick puppy for days."

Cassandra pouted, "Only days? He has been away for over a week!" Then she smiled at the Drak, "Thanks for bringing him back to me safe and sound, Sir Tregan."

She showed the Drak to the quarters she had reserved for him, with Brando in tow, and then accompanied her betrothed to his permanent residence within the keep. On the way they talked about his, and the Drak's, efforts to get the army into a blocking position opposite the orcs. When they reached his quarters she looked around and noticed there were way too many people around for her to go inside with him. "You smell of horse and sweat, and you're covered in road dust. Better get yourself cleaned up before the gathering, so you don't embarrass me too much," she smiled at him.

Brando grinned and whispered, "I thought you liked your men all sweaty..."

She silenced him with a kiss, "Yes, so you better get yourself cleaned up, before I lose control..."

He had pulled her close, and now let go of her, "See you at the gathering, honey."

She watched him enter his quarters, then turned around and walked back to her chambers, to get ready for the gathering herself.

***

When Cassandra arrived back at her chambers she found her maidens waiting for her. Denora, Sylda, and Polly accompanied her to the bathroom. Her maidens gave her a thorough scrubbing and grooming in the huge tub and then hurried her back to her bedchamber, where a beautiful regal dress in a deep cobalt blue was waiting for her. It was a bit more elaborate than her usual style, with long fanning sleeves, but it fitted the occasion well. And what it also fitted well was the amazing sapphire & silver jewelry set her mother left her.

Once they had her dress laced up she got parked in front of her dressing table and Leavy started to do her make up. Her maiden used heavier effects than usual, to fit with the more regal look of her dress. When she was finished Vala started styling her long blonde hair in a braided updo, to clear her neck and ears, for highlighting her jewelry. With her hair done Moiga helped her putting it on. The collier went first, creating this sea of gleaming silver and sparkling blue on her creamy skin just above her rather conservative décolleté.

The collier was pretty conventional, but the accompanying earrings were not. They were ear cuffs actually, with the main body covering her earlobes and a slender sapphire-encrusted stalk curving up along the ear's rim, to spiral back from the top along its inside. When Moiga was finished she turned her head from side to side and studied the result in the mirror. It was the first time she was actually wearing the set and Denora said what everyone, including she herself, thought, "Those look awesome, milady!" Seven smiling girls' faces couldn't be wrong, and she felt elated while Polly got her into her matching blue ankle boots.

After Polly finished lacing her boots up she stood and walked over to the large floor to ceiling mirror and took in her reflection. She was of average height at five foot four, but her boots added two inches to that, and her updo added another two, so she looked quite tall in the mirror. She twirled around, taking herself in; the dress clung to her body, revealing an ample bust atop a tiny waist, flaring into very feminine hips supporting a rather curvaceous behind. The dress hid the slender shape of her long legs to just below the knees, beneath which shapely calves disappeared into the blue suede leather of her stylish ankle boots.

Cassandra was pleased with herself, she had hit the exact balance between regal and feminine she had been aiming for. It was an outfit worthy of a future Kangess, and fitting for the coming gathering where, she hadn't any doubts at all, the assembled female nobility would be judging her. She looked up at the wall mounted chronometer, and decided there was still time for a cup of tea before Brando would be picking her up, to escort her to the gathering. She turned towards her maidens, who were all looking at her with pride in their eyes, "I think we deserved a nice cup of tea, what do you think ladies?"

They had their tea with some cinnamon and apple cake, and had just finished their second cup when Brando and, to her surprise, her father arrived. Both men stopped in their tracks when she got up and turned towards them, their eyes almost popping taking her in. Brando was the first one to speak up, "Who is this goddess? And where is my Cassy?"

She stepped up to him, smiling, "Who's this lickspittle? And where's my Brando?"

He took her in his arms and kissed her gently, "You look absolutely stunning, honey."

That was when she noticed her father's eyes were moistening, "Daddy?"

Kang Nichos swallowed, "Oh sweetheart, you look so much like your mother. And the Tears of Lurcan look as absolutely stunning on you as they did on her." She looked at him questioningly, and he smiled softly, "Yes, that nice set of trinkets has a name. The Kangess' of Nigawa have worn them since the beginning of time. That's why I made them find their way to your jewelry chest, after..."

She let go of Brando and flew into her father's arms, "Oh daddy, I only knew they used to be mom's." She locked eyes with him, "Is it okay for me to wear them now?"

Her father pecked her cheek, "Very appropriate for the occasion my dear. All the noble matriarchs will recognize them, and know they are looking at a future Nigawan Kangess. It's the strongest message of confidence you could put across." He sighs, "You just took me by surprise, and made me realize how much I still miss your mother."

She melted into her father, nestling her head against his chest, "I didn't want to hurt you, I'm sorry."

He kissed her forehead, "She would be so proud of you if she could see you now. And it is, and has always been, having you that makes her absence bearable for me. You're my everything Cassy."

The gathering was to be held in the keep's great hall, and all of Nigawa's nobles of age were expected to be present. They left her chambers exactly at two o'clock, ensuring all the nobles would be there for their arrival. She walked along the grand sandstone hallways between her father and Brando, guards in splendid attire saluting them as they went by. They could hear the hubbub created by the gathered nobles through the massive doors while they were still a hundred paces away. When the guards opened the doors for them the volume first rose, and then dropped dramatically as they entered the great hall.

Her father led them in, with her and Brando following close behind. The sun flowed in through the large windows on the southwest side, and they followed the thick twelve feet wide dark red carpet leading up to the throne in its warmth. By the time they were halfway the hall a stunned silence had descended and you could have heard a pin drop. And it wasn't her father that caused it, everyone was clearly gaping at her. She felt her confidence slip away, but then Brando's hand closed around hers, restoring it. That was when she first noticed the podium held two thrones instead of one.

She knew that, before her mother died, the podium had always held two thrones, but that her father, after a year of mourning, had the second throne removed. But now it was back, and the realization who it was for made her nervous. Before taking the steps up the podium, her father turned around and took her hand, then led her up and sat her down on the slightly smaller of the two thrones. Brando had followed them up and stood himself to her right while her father sat himself down on his own throne, placing a hand protectively on her shoulder. She looked up at him and thanked him with a smile.

Her father spoke, welcoming the nobles to the gathering, and thanking them all for showing up at such short notice. And then he told them about the reason behind the gathering. He told them how an orc army had started gathering at the entrance of Baelok pass now nineteen days ago. He explained how he had sent a diplomatic mission to parley with the orcs, to find out what they were up too, and try to persuade them to return to their own lands in peace if they indeed had plans for war.

Most of the nobles had already known there was some trouble brewing with the orcs, so the general reaction to this announcement wasn't that surprised. Next he told them about the results of the parley, about how the orcs had claimed to be the victims of unprovoked Nigawan aggression. That did produce surprised reactions. Astonishment and disbelief was all over their faces. So her father explained to them that the orc's claim was, in all probability, true. That had taken a bit to sink in. And then he came to the 'pièce the résistance', the orcish ultimatum...

When he finished speaking a shocked silence descended, but it didn't stay silent for long. It began as a soft rumble fed by consternation, then it swelled into this wave of indignation, to crest into a deluge of anger. Her father let these emotions run their course for a couple of minutes before he spoke up again. "Although the orcs may have legitimate reasons to demand compensation from Nigawa, both your Kang and his council have determined the actual orcish demands to be completely beyond reason, and as such not acceptable."

His words met with agreement among the nobles. Kang Nichos smiled at his audience, and then continued, "But as the possible consequences of rejecting the orcish surrender demands potentially affect all your lives very directly, I have decided to give you all a voice in this decision. Before deciding this matter, however, I think you should all be informed about the actual threat the orcs represent." He looked at Sir Mordian, who was waiting beside the podium, and gestured to the man to join him. After the Drak had ascended the podium, and stood to the left of him, he addressed the gathered nobles again, "I give you the Drak of Valdon, supreme commander of the Nigawan army."

The Drak bowed his head towards her father, "Thank you my Kang." Next he turned to the attentive nobles and cleared his throat, "Fourteen days ago I started withdrawing all troops that could be spared from guarding the borders with our more southern neighbors to encampments near Iriskan, to join the main army. This operation concluded five days ago, after which I ordered the army north to Bragstone. The army made good progress, and should be moving into position by now. That means there are now close to fifty thousand men, and Bragstone castle, sealing off the Weeping Valley, and bottling up an orc army roughly half its size inside it."

The tension among the nobles clearly lifted as he let that sink in. He raised his hands, "As is, the situation should be firmly under control, but please remember the only certainty in war is that soldiers are going to die, and that the outcome is never a certainty. Add to that the fact that we have no recent experience fighting orcs. So while the odds seem favorable, we should take nothing for granted."

With that the Drak turned his head and looked at the Kang questioningly. Her father nodded at him, then addressed the gathered nobles again, "And now you know as much as the counsel and I myself know. Feel free to discuss the matter; I'll be calling for a vote an hour from now."

Her father turned his head to the majordomo, who had been waiting patiently beside the podium, and nodded. The majordomo turned and gestured to the servants who had gathered at the doors to the service corridor. It resulted in a flurry of action, with servants swarming among the guests, offering them refreshments from the huge trays they were carrying. The Drak left the podium, to mingle with the other guests, and Brando leaned down towards her, "Can I get you something to drink honey?"

She looked up at him, smiling, "Yes, a glass of sparkling white please."

He turned towards her father, "Can I get you something too Sir?"

The Kang grinned, "I would like a cold pint my boy, but I'm afraid our present company won't allow for it..."

She watched Brando descend from the podium, her thoughts with the upcoming vote. Cassandra felt torn; yes, the orcish demands were harsh, but were they really beyond reasonable? How would they have reacted if the roles had been reversed, what would their army have done if it had come back from the orcish lands to find Nigawa raised to the ground, and everyone killed, by the Mercandons for instance? She remembered the orcish leader's harsh words, 'Your army killed my mate, killed my cubs.' She had felt the oh-so-human hurt behind those words.

These orcs weren't the primitive beasts history depicted them as. And while she understood why the Nigawan nobles didn't want to pay the price for what the Nigawan army did, she also understood why the orcs had demanded what they did. She felt relieved that she wasn't the Kangess yet, and that it wasn't her responsibility to decide. Brando returned and handed her the glass of wine she had asked for. Then he walked over to stand next to her father and both of them started discussing his experiences working with the Drak's staff.

Cassandra nursed her glass of wine for most of the hour, making small talk while nervously awaiting the vote. When the hour had finally passed her father called for everyone's attention, and then asked for them to vote, "Everyone in favor of conceding to the orcish demands please raise your hand." She watched with held breath; there were some anxious looks, but no hands. Her father nodded, "Alright, everyone in favor of rejecting the orcish demands, which means war, please raise your hands." A sea of hands rose up, those not voting few and far between.

Her father stood, looked over his gathered nobles, then nodded slowly, his face stern, "War it is then, and may the gods be with us."

***

Cassandra left the great hall a bit in turmoil, Brando looked at her questioningly, "Are you afraid we'll lose? The military situation is heavily in our favor Cassy. We have twice their number, and we're in a great defensive position. Even without the massive advantage Bragstone provides for. In all likelihood, these orcs don't have a snowball's chance in hell."

She didn't answer at first, just walked along with him, until there was no one around anymore, then she looked up and locked eyes with him, "You haven't met them, Brando. I did, and that warlord, Bashuk, he didn't make empty threats. He was very assured of himself, and so were his chieftains. Now maybe they didn't know how big our army is, but I doubt that. Which would mean the Drak and you seriously underestimate them somehow." Brando shrugged, she continued, "And then there's the issue of us, as in our army, seriously wronging them. They have genuine grievances: our army destroyed everything they had, killed all their loved ones, for no reason."

Her voice took on a slight tremble. "They are furious, Brando, and they have nothing left in the world to lose. They'll come for your throats like a pack of blood-crazed wulfen. Which makes me fear for your life." She suppressed her anxiety, "And then there's still the morals issue. I know they have left us not much choice but to fight them, but we enter this war with dirty hands." She felt her eyes moisten, "I hope we can end this war with minimal loss of life, on both sides. And then we'll have to somehow make up with them. Compensate them for what we did to them."

Brando stopped and pulled her against him, "If there's a chance for another parley, I'll make sure the Drak takes it Cassy. See if we can still end this without bloodshed somehow."

She melted into him, and he kissed the front of her head, hugging her close. After a minute she looked up, locked eyes with him, "Let's go to my chambers, I need you."

His face dropped, and he slowly shook his head, "I'm sorry Cassy, but the Drak will be looking for me. We agreed to return to the army as soon as possible should the nobles vote for war. There's still a lot for us to do up north; the defenses have largely been fixed, but still need attention. We have to be as ready as we can be."

She felt disappointment, "I understand. I hate to see you go already, but I understand." Then she swallowed, "Please promise me you'll be careful?"