All Comments on 'Catch Can Man'

by jake60

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
following dreams

I was very pleased to read a touching story that allowed people to make mistakes and move on with their lives, each having faced up to the consequences of actions and learning to be better people for the experiences.

Thank you for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Touching

Nice to see a story that has some civilized characters, rather than the stock, vengeful lovers' triangle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
A good story...

... of clean characters and situations. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Thank You!

i do like the positive spin of the story. its hard to let go. and even harder to start over. its a story of redemption.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkabout 16 years ago
Nice story

Maybe a little too nice. I liked the characters and the plot well enough, but it just came off feeling...well, almost antiseptic. Maybe it's because most of the heavy emotional baggage was dealt with in flashback that made it lose it's emotional impact for me. Since we, as readers, don't have to deal with Frank's sudden appearance, J.D.'s growing distress over the situation, and the emotional turmoil of her sudden decision to start dating Frank we can't really appreciate the price J.D. paid to get where he is today. I felt like the reader (or at least, this particular reader) needed to be more familiar with what happened to John in Indianapolis in order to relate to the J.D. he became. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I look forward to reading more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
chances

great story. liked it.

bruce22bruce22almost 16 years ago
Fine Story

Interesting idea, that there is a need to clean out the remains of the old relationship in order to make the new one smooth. Very well drawn characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Nice Story!!

VERY NICE STORY! FANTASTIC WRITING AND GOOD PLOT DEVELOPMENT. THIS IS THE KIND OF WRITING I EXPECT OF YOU!!! KEEP UP THE NICE JOB.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Decent writing but....

it reads and flows more like a review of a story,since not enough detail(concerning J.D.'s and Robins relationship) is exposed.Would have worked better if it wasn't so obvious from the start that it was totally in the past.Pistolpackinpete

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
yes

since i am a nascar fan myself i really found this to be a good story.

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 13 years ago
Nice

I would have liked you starting the story back in Indianapolis with Robin; and with more detail. But it was still a very real and nice story of John's moving on. The subtle revenge was John's finding a better woman. It was nice that you did not make Robin a cheating bitch.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Excellent

Can`t get any better, brilliant story. Keep them coming!

oldoelGDoldoelGDover 12 years ago
Very Good!

Too many folks write just sex, without really being in touch with the participants. Keep writing.

Richie4110Richie4110over 12 years ago
Loved the story

I anticipated a little more convolution in the two relationships. I love the way yor tell a story and felt that this was a real personal narrative.

I plan to continue reading all of your features.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Lovely story

thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Well written, but...

A well written tale, but not enough characterization to get the reader really involved with, or rooting for, any of the three characters. Four stars from me.

FD45FD45over 11 years ago
I don't know if you still check on your stories here

I am brutal in my assessments. My mama didn't raise any couth in me.

This story lacked all drama by putting the occurances in the past tense. He's alive. He's healthy. He feels a little bad.

This is the difference between seeing a friend dangling from a cliff face to hearing your friend recount his tale three months later about how he was dangling from a cliff face: There is no immediacy of danger and even the way the final conversation between the two was structured essentially telegraphed the story ending. Add mandatory sex scene, tearful 'don't you hurt him like I done' and we have the Disney ending.

That being said: it was well written. But everything felt muted except for the rage of the girlfriend. But even without the Final Conversation, I KNEW she was fine, so why should I worry about her?

You write well. This was a temporal and structural issue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Nice little story.

But where is the meat???

bill

TheNextGuyTheNextGuyabout 10 years ago

I would have looked for a better name for this story, because Catch Can Man isn't really all that inventive. That said, what I read I enjoyed very much. Thanks for sharing this story with us!

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 10 years ago
My opinion is very favorable lol

Nice story with essentially nice people - one who was too weak and starry eyed about her past to avoid fucking up her present.

But it looks like a better future is waiting for all of them

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good story

Robin screwed up or was screwed over. Allison loved J.D. and lets see what happens.

do you have a follow up story

sbrooks103sbrooks103almost 9 years ago
Was Going To Give 4 Stars, Went To 5 Instead

For me, any chance at reconciliation went out the window when she pooh-poohed his concerns about Frank.

I think if this was in Loving Wives I would have only give it 4, but for Romance I felt it deserved 5.

Robin's willingness to recognize her own responsibility in the failure of their relationship, and to express her love for him by supporting his new love is the ultimate romantic gesture, which is why I gave it 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
if they're gonna marry

His disrespect for Allison is gonna be an is s ue until he gets counselling for his narcissism. Secret meetings with exes while married to a woman who has been cheated on is neither a key to trust nor healthy marriage .

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Anon 11/21/15

He isn't married to Allison. He didn't disrespect her.

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
@Anonymous 11/21/05 Re: “if they’re gonna marry”

Just because he didn’t call Allison doesn’t make it a “secret meeting”!

In fact, he immediately went to Allison to tell her about it.

If anything SHE’S at fault for getting mad at him without talking to him, as she herself admits!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Nice story....

You're good but that was, sorry, not much of a story. I've read your other stories, very good. It had a very small bang. I give it a 5....anyway. You are a good writer and I want more of them. Just keep improving....lol

bill

PEATBOGPEATBOGabout 7 years ago
A nice story.....

but perhaps a bit too nice! Too perfect --- everybody will eventually be happy! However I can't fault your technique or ability as a writer. Looking forward to more from you. *****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good

Enjoyed it. The unmentioned blessing for JD is he found out before they got married. Robin loved him, but she never had closure with Frank, making her relationship with JD to be a shallow one.... JD made the right decision with Allison.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

good read could use more chapters.

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 6 years ago

"I took the high road though; I was very kind and gentle with her."

Which unfortunately made the story boring. After the callous way she tossed him aside to start dating the perfect ex, kindness was the last thing she deserved.

It was quite short so there wasn't enough time to flesh out the characters and there wasn't any real drama. Probably the weakest of your otherwise excellent work I've read so far.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
It was a good story.

Not very exciting or dramatic, but good. I know you have stopped writing here, but if you are writing anywhere I hope you have learned to edit out the irrelevant filler you seem to include without thinking. Where someone sat, where they placed their hand, what they were doing, or were going to do, or were thinking about doing, etc. Just distracting and adding nothing to the meat of the story. Like some of the old Victorian authors who would take two pages to describe a sunset. Maybe its a reflect of our current times, but I can get about a thousand Google images of sunsets, don't need an 800 word description. And I don't care were they set or what they ate or how long they talked, unless that has something to do with the plot. It almost never does.

Thanks for the effort.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 5 years ago
Nothing much

Sounds like a waste of time to read it. Jake60 has much better stories than this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Well written story...

...first of your stories I've read, will definitely read more. Perfect fit for the romance category. Since I used to race myself years ago, I can tell you know what your talking about concerning nascar. Not everyone knows about wedge, and spring spacers etc...I see you haven't posted in a while, so dont know if you'll see this, but I give it 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Good romantic story No over the top scenarios just loss and rejuvenated you

She found high school is behind and stays behind

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

i liked like to read the end some time

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 3 years ago
Nice.

Sometimes a story doesn't need more than 3 pages written to convey the heart of the story. This one, could have been longer; and it could have had more clarification. Nothing was said by Robin to show her feeling and what was going on in her mind and why she fell for Franks line if she was really in love with John, aka JD. And what about Allison? Her story is not known to the reader. There was very little said about her Ex. I would like to see a follow up story to give, as Paul Harvey use to say, the rest of the story. Maybe a Chapter 02 or a conclusion. Every author gives birth to a story and then shares it with us. He also has the right to limit just how much he shares. I'm sure in his mind he knows the answers to these questions, and it is up to him and only him to answer them. So that said I would like to say. Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good story, reasonable length and still conveying the plot

NonSequitourNonSequitourover 2 years ago

The line about Allison having to dress conservatively reminded me of Krista Voda. The experienced stick and ball sports reporter started covering NASCAR in the early 2000's. Despite not being a raving beauty, her huge smile and cheerful personality made her a popular racing reporter. It didn't hurt that she was healthily endowed or that she would leave some buttons undone on her blouse (it gets hot in race paddocks in summer). Perverts like us LitRot readers noticed, commented, and posted screenshots online. Alack and alas, she buttoned up.

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAabout 1 year ago

The maturity of time to heal is strong in the brief but well constructed story. I have had some tangent experience with a former lover showing up for possible reclaiming. It often amazes me WHY fall for a guy who through willful termination, dumps you cold. Somehow the masochistic veil reveals itself...and makes the dumped party stupid... I like the ending and only wish they followed through to some higher level. JD seems like a winner.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
So boring

I'll never understand the point of wasting time to talk to people who fucked you over. Once you decide to cut them out of your life... fuck them. *

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Ok story, but I would not have ended with the girl's conversation. It just seemed to hang there.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous